Alex Ovechkin in New York

Ovie with Carrie Milbank.

So I'm currently at an Upper West Side hotel, with Caps PR guru Nate Ewell and a couple NHL staffers, waiting for Alex Ovechkin. He'll do some interviews here, then head down 6th Avenue in a zamboni. I'll take pictures, I guess. This here will be a Twitter feed of my observations and his answers. With any luck.

And it turns out his zamboni ride is all of one block. I can't wait to turn in my expense receipts for a one-block zamboni ride.

- NHL players are? "Heroes," Ovie said. And Alex Ovechkin is? "One of the heroes."
- Milbank asks Ovie blond, brunette or redhead. "Um, all of them," he said.
- Ovie on playing in DC: "It's a great place right now to play hockey. Everybody loves us."
- Ovie on 09 goals: "I just want to play the same way and be the best, try to help the team win games...and win the Stanley Cup"
- Mad Dog Radio asked Ovie about Eastern Motors ads. "I do what I want to do, I don't care," he said. Also asked him about @thecooleyzone
- Ovie on media buzz: "I do what I love to do, I play hockey. I don't like to hear some bad words or good words...I do my job. I play hockey"
- Ovie: "I'm in good shape and I'll be better this year too."

(All updates are here.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 9, 2009; 2:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alzner: 'I Want to Be More Aggressive'
Next: D.C. Sports Bog: Ovechkin and a Zamboni

Comments

You should work your way into the XM studio at the NHL store. Promote the blog.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 9, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Phil: One thing we know is there WILL BE INJURIES. All of the players you listed will play this year, plus likely 3 or 4 others (hopefully not the goalie from the press bow though!). Anyway, they'll all get chances.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 9, 2009 2:29 PM |

Well yeah, but we were talking about forwards on the team who would make it out of Camp. Don't know if Boruque will given the log jam, but as I said, with Fehr being on LTIR at the start, we may see most of these guys get their call earlier rather than later.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Ovie say he liked red heads more? Or was that some other player recently? Varlamov or Semin maybe?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

It's also worth noting that the Caps still have a cap issue... I wouldn't be too shocked to see a couple of last season's regulars go for future considerations sometime between now and Thanksgiving, which would clear up the jam a bit. If the Caps need someone to drive Flash and ShaMo to the airport so that Borque and Carlson could get into the mix, I'd be happy to volunteer my services.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 9, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

We are actually currently above the Cap.

ShaMo or Juice will not be a Capitals come October 1st. But I don't see why Flash is your forward to pick out. If any forward should go, I'd pick Fehr over Flash 10 times out of 10.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

They both have their moments of usefulness and a lot of moments of uselessness, but I seem to find myself screaming at the television over Flash a lot more than Fehr... Maybe because he gets more ice time. Dunno. I don't think I'd lose any sleep if either of them left.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 9, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Phil - nobody is going to trade for Fehr while on or after LTIR.

Posted by: puckman | September 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Who's that guy with Carrie Milbank ?

Posted by: LarryDavid | September 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh? Is that even what I was talking about? No, I think I was just pointing out I'd take Flash over Fehr. I said nothing about a trade.

ps; If I was in fact assessing a situation to get rid of a forward, instead of just pointing out a fact that I'd pick one over the other,....Waiver him. Problem solved. Bears or another team.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 9, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Oh? Is that even what I was talking about?"

Dude... What's with the defensiveness? I wasn't arguing with you, just saying that I don't find either of them particularly useful. Wash the sand out of your vag and go take a nap.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 9, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, that was at someone else... NM. My bad.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm not jealous of all the trophies he's won. But getting to be there with Carrie Milbank, OK now I'm jealous.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

fehr was injured a lot last season, especially during the playoffs. flash was on-again off-again a lot. he seemed to only be on when it didn't matter, fehr on the other hand actually won us games with plays he did succeed on or kept us in the lead, or got us back into the game. i dunno flash is a little too skilled for the AHL, while fehr could use a little more developing, but not much. I wouldn't say I pick Flash over Fehr, but I would send Fehr down before Flash

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

- Milbank asks Ovie blond, brunette or redhead. "Um, all of them," he said.

He should have said "you."

@RichmondPhil, he did say redheads in the thing translated by puck daddy.

Posted by: wis193 | September 9, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

somewhere, sid the kid is asking himself "why aren't they letting me drive a zamboni in new york?"

Posted by: spinner-33 | September 9, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Fehr likely won't be counting against the cap for a while. Didn't he have surgery on both shoulders or am I thinking of someone else?

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 9, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse