Live Chat Tonight: Capitals at Thrashers (Again)

Join The Post's Katie Carrera here on the Insider for our second-ever live game chat tonight when the Caps take on the Thrashers at Philips Arena.

If you missed Katie's first chat (coincidentally, also during a Thrashers game), check out the transcript here.

In other Katie-related news, here's an early look at her story for tomorrow's paper on Bemidji State's improbable run to the Frozen Four, which kicks off Thursday at Verizon Center. Even if you're not necessarily a fan of college hockey, that warm-and-fuzzy underdog tale is tough to resist.

Hope to see you all at the chat around 7 p.m.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 7, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti Out Tonight
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Thrashers

Comments

Call me superstitious, but the chat with Katie didn't exactly work in our favor last time.

Posted by: keydet01 | April 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

from last thread
"In 45 games with the Bears this season, Alzner has four goals, 15 assists and is among the leaders in plus/minus with a plus 25. His 10 penalty minutes, by the way, are by far the lowest on the team."

Right here is the problem with Alzner: No hits, no goals, no guts, and only 15 assists. Everybody - almost - is on the plus side of the plus/minus by a considerable margin!

Alzner is not a puck moving offensive defenseman. I wouldn't care if he had zero points. His job is to keep pucks out of our net. Alzner is 20 years old; let him mature some more and he could be the best stay at home defenseman we've had in a long long time.

Posted by: reesem37 | April 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

keydet01:
wow - calling out katie as a jinx - JK

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

DOESN'T THE POST HAVE MORE PRESSING ISSUES TO DEAL WITH THAN BLOGGING A SILLY HOCKEY GAME? MICHELLE OBAMA WAS WEARING CLOTHES THAT SHOWED OFF HER ARMS AGAIN!!!!

sorry Lindsay. I get carried away sometimes....

Posted by: Leeguru | April 7, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ESPN mentioned on their power rankings that if Atlanta wins tonight, they'll actually be 6th to last in the league, rather than 4th. This means they're out of the draft lottery.

Just an interesting thought.

Posted by: Raber | April 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@keydet01

Are you suggesting we keep stats on Katie's W-L chat record? Hmm, then we can match her record up against Lindsey to see who we want for our playoff chat starter.

We could always pull one for the other if the game starts going bad.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Bemidji has already won. It'll be a lot like the GMU Final 4 a few years ago. Even though they lost the game they won the story of the games. Same thing will happen with Bemidji.

You gotta love these kinds of games! These kids are playing for BSU, the love of hockey, and each other, not some NHL contract.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
good thing i don't have any pressing issues. work is just how i pass the time between games

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@Raber

Teams (smart ones) do pay attention to that stuff if they are building for the future.

Either way of course the Caps need to look at tonight as another step towards securing 2nd seed

Posted by: austinsteve | April 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

But, but, the outfits! The media was all over it! And the mortgage fraud stuff! and, and the porat the university of Maryland!

When I am bored, I try and stir things up. SOmeone needs to come buy a Beemer!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Raber, to be accurate, if Atlanta is in sixth, they're only out of the running for the #1 overall pick, they're still in the lottery. They could win the lottery and pick second, and take whoever isn't first between Hedman and Tavares.

Posted by: koalatek | April 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I second that Kirk!

Posted by: mikesfan | April 7, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I have a question.

How does Carolina clinch a playoff spot at #5 with 95 points, while Philly in #4 hasn't yet with the same 95 points? Philly has a game in hand, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

GregS, IIRC the Panthers hold a tiebreaker edge against the Flyers, but not Carolina.

Posted by: koalatek | April 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

It's all about wins. That is the first tie-breaker and the Canes have the wins.

Posted by: alagarts | April 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yea I saw that too, Greg S. It makes no sense to me either. I was trying to figure it out but I am completely stumped.

Posted by: reesem37 | April 7, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

And don't forget Michelle Obama dared touch the Queen of England. Oh my. Such headlining news besides our game tonight against the Thrashers. Wherever are our priorities?!!!

Goo, Caps!

Btw, is it just me or was anyone else expecting a post about lines and/or a morning skate update? Just wonderin'....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 7, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

yup the wins...that makes sense

Posted by: reesem37 | April 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

They have the same amount of points but Carolina have 2 more wins.

Posted by: numero94 | April 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

koalatek, Lottery is only the bottom 5 teams.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, nevermind. My brain isn't functioning today.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve

As good as the Caps are this year, any juju is good juju, be it the winning records with chat hosts or wearing the same shirt that was worn or same meal for dinner the last time the Caps won. Not that any of us would do that... right?

Posted by: keydet01 | April 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl, no, the lottery is all of the teams, it's just that you can only improve your draft position by 4 spots.

From NHL.com:
Clubs that did not qualify for this season's Stanley Cup Playoffs, or Clubs that acquired the first-round picks of those non-playoff Clubs, will participate in the Draft Drawing.

The Club selected in the Draft Drawing may not move up more than four positions in the draft order. Thus, the only Clubs with the opportunity to receive the first overall selection are the five Clubs with the lowest regular-season point totals (or Clubs that acquired those Clubs' first-round draft picks). No Club can move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Drawing.

Posted by: koalatek | April 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

So why isn't Carolina 4 and Philly 5?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Oops, didn't see your correction. Maybe I should hit refresh faster.

Posted by: koalatek | April 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@keydet01

Are you suggesting that if we win tonight Katie has to wear the same shirt and not wash it til the Caps lose again?

Posted by: austinsteve | April 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

GregS, the Flyers are currently 4th because the actual first tiebreaker is games played. At the end of the season, you would expect all of the teams to play 82 games.

Posted by: koalatek | April 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

i wish hedman's brother (who i believe is still associated with the caps somehow since we drafted him) turned out to be as good as viktor is going to be

Posted by: _stevo | April 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Haha, its okay. As soon as I hit "submit" I realized that wasn't right. I've been updating spreadsheets all day and my brain is almost to mush.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

This is a bit scary:

In eight straight wins, the Hurricanes have allowed two goals or fewer seven times. That's the kind of defensive record that shows a team ready for postseason play.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Got it. Sometimes it takes a 2x4

Posted by: Greg S. | April 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, Oscar's playing in the Swedish Elite League. NHL teams now only have two years to sign a non-NCAA player, so the Caps no longer have any rights to him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@jmu

did he ever come to camp or ever get a chance to see him play at all?

Posted by: _stevo | April 7, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Keydet: You're supersticious. (Sorry, someone did the same to me when I said the same thing before "I have too many memories of the Pens ending playoff runs.)

Back on this defensemen of the future topic: Alzner is fine and may be very good, but he's going to make mistakes. Remember Green's first few years? Yuck I thought he was terrible. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As most of you know, I'm also a big Kings fan. One meager highlight this year was Drew Doughty who looks to be very exceptional and only 18. But, he's still a kid and he got stone beat a few time. He's featured prominately in a "Play of the Year" video on TSN as a guy does a May Poll dance around him. That's going to be Alzner's story. He's going to be good. But, he's still a kid. We can all remember his horrible plays and some pretty good ones. He's here next year full time, for sure. So is Green, Poti, Erskine and Pothier. Everyone else, we'll have to see who gets the sixth sweater. I've liked and hated 55, 26 and 23 in various amounts this year (ditto 4 too, but he's signed already). Honestly, I don't know that I care which of them (if any) is back. Anyone who thinks Schultz is way better than Mo and Juice, or vice-versa is fooling themselves.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 7, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have defensemen in the system with Alzner, Carlson, Finley, etc. for the future.

What the club needs is to acquire a veteran defenseman who can both be a leader and physical presence in front of the net.

The Caps are soft on defense. Other than Erskine there are no big hitters on the blueline and he is compromised by his lack of skating and puckhandling ability.

With the salaries of Brent Johnson, Viktor Kozlov, Sergei Fedorov coming off the books in 2010, the Caps should have the money to go out and get that player for the blueline.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

tominfl,
Hershey & SC guys theoretically exempt from waivers for next year and the season or how many games they have left before their exemption ends, whichever comes first:
Collins -- 2011-2012 or 45 games
Lepisto -- 2011-2012 or 56 games
Morin -- 2011-2012 or 60 games
Pinizzotto -- 2011-2012 or 70 games
Gordon -- 2011-2012 or 79 games
Beagle -- 2012-2013 or 67 games
Alzner -- 2012-2013 or 130 games
Osala -- 2012-2013 or 158 games

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

_stevo, I don't think he ever came to DC. He's currently on a 2 year contract playing with Anton Gustafsson for Frolunda. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/oscar_hedman
That's actually one of the most complimentary HF profiles I've seen, so I wonder what happened.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree with pretty much everything oldtimehockey just said.
I liked the kings team I saw on the caps first road trip. I haven't seen many of their games this year, but I liked the direction. When they drafted Doughty I wasn't surprised, but I don't know if anyone was.

The Toronto Star article on Boudreau was heartbreaking. I've always thought (and said) that Toronto ruins players. Aside from Mats Sundin (who was never enough) no Maple Leaf has ever been able to live through that mngt or team. They ruin players. That's why I wanted antropov. I think he was a victim of mismanagement, to go along with the RELENTLESS media microscope. I'm glad he got out. There's a reason why all those guys refused to be traded away last year. That was a collective f you. sad. Until Gabbys their coach, they'll never win the cup.

Posted by: oo7 | April 7, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Lineups are up!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 7, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

This is the picture next to ugly in the dictionary:

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 7, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse