Live game chat: Caps vs. Panthers

Michal Neuvirth is between the pipes tonight against the Florida Panthers as Washington goes for its ninth straight victory, and when the puck drops at 7 p.m., reporter Gene Wang will be online to chat about all things Caps. Join the conversation below:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 29, 2010; 5:24 PM ET
 | Tags: Florida Panthers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich: 'We can't let down'
Next: Green on injury: 'It's not serious'

Comments

I love the chat...thanks!!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | January 29, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

chat shmat - keep the comments here

Posted by: ebolean1 | January 29, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Can definitely do without the chat.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | January 29, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching in Denver? I just flew in and need to find a good place with the NHL ticket.

Any suggestions appreciated via email.

Thanks,

mike
mvisotsk@vt.edu

Posted by: vzotsky1 | January 29, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy is in goal tonight. (per Tarik's twitter)

Posted by: elicea | January 29, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Because I'm in the city that never sleeps I end up taping the game (via the NHL Center Ice package) and watching it from midnight till 1:30am. It keeps my fiance from leaving me, but I am sooooo torn with this win streak. Lets Go Caps!!!! Long live Neil Sheehy Ford and going to buy last minute tickets at Montgomery Mall and driving to the caps center and watching the hands that clap up by the decibel meter thingy....I'm I making any sense to anyone?!

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 29, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

@vzotsky1: Mike, I'm in Boulder if you'd like to drive out and catch the game with me. Probably miss the first period though. As such, I recommend the ESPN Zone on the 16th St. Mall in Denver. Let me know if you want to catch the Lightning game up my way.

Geoff

Posted by: glb8p | January 29, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"watching the hands that clap up by the decibel meter thingy"
Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | January 29, 2010 6:19 PM

Every six months or so, I suggest to the owner that he sift through the rubble of the old Cap Centre and find those decibel meters. For you youngers, they were just a couple of digital displays mounted in opposite corners of the building, but the very cool thing was that they really worked! None of this fake stuff on the jumbotron. We knew when we were getting loud because we could see it in real time! Maybe when Ted owns Verizon Center, we can convince him to go retro.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 29, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

That image (of the disembodied clapping hands that often appear on the Jumbotron at the start of a power play) always made me wonder:

Does anybody REALLY position their hands that way when trying to clap as loud as possible? I just don't know. I've tried it, and it's damn uncomfortable!

FEAR THE WEAGLE!
GO CAPS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 29, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

well...

Posted by: ebolean1 | January 29, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are living dangerously tonight. Sooner or later the Cats are going to get one off Neuvy's rebounds. Let's hope he can improve that for the next two periods.

I hate the chat. Keep the comments here.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 29, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Well that was a dirty hit if I ever saw one!

Posted by: capscoach | January 29, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

That could be season-ending for Green.

I know Ovechkin survived something similar but Ovechkin got extremely lucky.

Let's just hope it wasn't a ligament. His leg bent funny.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's good news that Green wants to come back out but I'm still holding my breath.

Schultz doing it for his partner. I'm not sure if that was tipped or not but still a nicely placed shot with a little oompf behind it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Even better... Green is out there.

I suppose that was a disaster averted.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth with some straight robbery.

Green back to the dressing room. Still a good sign that he came back out, even if only momentarily.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Knuble had a tap in float up on his stick on what would have been a hat trick.

Again, it's good that Green wanted to get back out there but you can walk on ligament damage. I wonder if they'll get an MRI.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

good win. I'll bet glory days is glad they don't have to shell out another 180,000 wings. :)

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 29, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Gotta admit, the chat is REALLY hard to keep up with while watching the game. BUT IT CAN BE KINDA FUN!

I'M TORN!

I really like the comments section during the game too.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it was a test, and Green failed.

We're back to worrying. Green out for the year is a possibility, but this team has enough to overcome that.

Posted by: youaresquishy | January 29, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Only 4 goals? How lame is that? What's wrong with these guys? They have GOT to get it together by Sunday.

Posted by: chrisd3 | January 29, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

PK WAS 100%

That was my wish coming in!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Eh, wtf, you loved the live chat, you were even yelling about it! ;)

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | January 29, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans Braden Holtby was just penalized twice tonight for roughing. first time he threw punches when someone came in his crease the second time he was sticking up for a treammate and throwing punches again. Now you see why he is the most loved goalie in Hershey

Posted by: cocorules | January 29, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

this team is out of control right now. assuming greenie's knee isn't too bad, i don't know if this team will ever lose again. at least it feels that way at the moment.

Posted by: pwcpat | January 29, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

well Ron Hextall played in Hershey too so they're used to it

Posted by: joek443 | January 29, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Hershey was up 6-2 and barely held on for the win.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Eh, Blondie, IM ALWAYS YELLING!

I am a passionate fan, what can I say?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

winning streaks are always nice to see but the Edmonton Oilers went 15 - 3 in the playoffs in 1985 on their way to their second Cup... that's when you need to get hot

Posted by: joek443 | January 29, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the CSN boyz think that Washington HAS NEVER seen a player like the K BUS!!!!

HERE HERE!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Just curious...did anybody else think that the knee on green deserved at least a penalty...I really don't see how it was any different than what OV did.

Posted by: capscoach | January 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Its Knuble or
Its Laich or
Its Fehr

IN FRONT OF THE NET!

If the YOUNG GUNS dont get you...

THEY WILL!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Keeping the streak going is nice, but Green's status is way more important.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 29, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

don't think he deliberately stuck his knee out

Posted by: rachel216 | January 29, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree Rachel. Part of me wants to claim "dirty hit" but watched all the replays and it did not look intentional to me.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 29, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

BB WATCHES ON THE FLY!!!!!!

MY MAN!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

3 stars: Backstrom, Knuble, Neuvirth.

Posted by: wocoliz | January 29, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy's glove save was so awesome

Posted by: rachel216 | January 29, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

the NHL network really needs to spend some money and do something about their studio.. it's embarrassing compared to the NFL, MLB or NBA network studios.

glad to hear that Greenie will be okay, they dodged a bullet

Posted by: joek443 | January 29, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Why is Mike Green the bastard child of Canada?

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 29, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Pothier said we "Gutted Out", a 4-1 win.

GUT EM' ALLLLL OUT BRIAN!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"While the panel did not believe that there would be any additional discipline for Kulikov, the same cannot be said for Green."

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 29, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Why is Mike Green the bastard child of Canada?

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 29, 2010 9:59 PM |

Maybe his father insulted the KING?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 29, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL I thought the panel meant the NHL panel.. it's TSN, who gives a rats a$$ what they think

Posted by: joek443 | January 29, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Green did lead with his elbow and appeared to hit him in the hear area. I actually don't disagree with their assessments.

I also agree that Kulikov did NOT mean to go knee-on-knee.

Green may get a fine and/or 2-game suspension. He may get nothing.

If he does get a suspension, given the condition of his knee, it probably wouldn't hurt him to have a couple of games off. Let's just hope it's not something worse which is still a real possibility. You can walk around and even play sports without realizing you have ligament damage. I wonder if they'll get an MRI. They reportedly did not in Ovechkin's case which is still a shock to me. It's almost a given that you get an MRI done in all professional sports when their is any kind of knee-related injury, even if it is not believe to be serious.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

*head area

*believed

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

But does a hit have to be intentional to be dirty? Does any player intentionally stick ther knee out? I mean you risk injuring yourself just as much as the other guy...guess I meant reckless more than dirty.

Posted by: capscoach | January 29, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I need to see the replay again. I was more concerned with Green at the time.

I didn't notice anything blatantly dirty or even reckless at the time. I thought it was just a weird angle he came in on and an unlucky hockey play for Green.

Maybe I missed something.

Regardless, my primary concern is Green's health. I'm relatively unconcerned with anything else related to that play.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 29, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

their knees just happen to hit each other, i saw nothing dirty

Posted by: rachel216 | January 29, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse