Live game chat: Caps vs. Panthers

Just for something different, we're bringing back the live game chat for a night. When the Caps face off against the Panthers, feel free to join the conversation by signing in with your Facebook or Twitter account. You can also log in with a MySpace account, but really, who uses MySpace anymore?

(There's still something to be said for anonymity on the Internet, so the regular old blog comments are open as well.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 3, 2009; 6:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineup: Panthers at Caps
Next: Caps 6, Panthers 2

Comments

Well no more anonymous chat?

GO CAPS!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 3, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

wtf, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't use (in my case, anyway) facebook or twitter.

GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, 28!

Posted by: uncatim | December 3, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice first period. Great to see Semin back and playing well; it's extra-tasty gravy that he scored. Congrats to Flash, too. (Now, if we can just get a goal for Stecks tonight....)

C-A-P-S, CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

uh am I the only one seeing "The host has disabled user comments" in the live chat?

Posted by: patrone | December 3, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Gee, looks like #28 is glad to be part of the action again. (Capsfan75 in particular is probably in well-deserved raptures about now. :-) Looking forward to her postgame comments!)

Keep the hammer down, boys!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

it's odd that both blowouts this season have occurred without ovie.

Posted by: j762 | December 3, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Great win tonight. Too bad Varly lost the shutout, but I'll still gladly take the 2 points. Terrific game for Semin--I sure didn't expect him to end up with 4 points his first game back. Can't wait to see what he'll do against Philly on Saturday night.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Philly will be tougher in all respects, but I look for a good showing and a WIN!

Posted by: Steakum | December 3, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Not much to complain about so all the trolls are as quiet as a dead fish, I see.

Great game for us obviously. Too bad Varly lost his shutout, but he's 15-1-4 now earning points in 19 out of the 20 games he played. That's just mind boggling. I think he's ready for the NHL, eh?

Florida looked like they just had nothing left in the tank on a back to back night for them.

I just read that SI article by Jim Kelley and it's by far the most biased piece of trash I've ever read. He should be fired for not having a clue what about journalistic integrity. An average idiot of a Pens or Flyers fan would have been proud of the screed Kelley puked out. Absolutely disgusting.

Posted by: ranndino | December 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Well done guys. Well done. It was a night at the office and they finished their business. Nasty piece of work going after Giroux like that. Gee I wonder if that is suspension worthy???

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I better not read that SI piece then. I have found that magazine incredibly biased over the past couple of years. There's always some kind of Ovi and Caps slam.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns
Since the attack on Giroux gave us a 7-minute PP, I would think it would be worthy of a game suspension at least, but only time (and Colin Campbell) will tell us.

@ranndino
Do you mean the Pronger article? I haven't read it yet (just got the mag today) but was planning before I went to bed. Sounds like I shouldn't waste my time, though.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: Bottomline when a team comes to town tired after having played the night before - you get out of the gate and jump on them. Mission accomplished tonight. Job well done by the boys tonight.

Newsflash: Caps just went on another power play LOL.

Welcome Alexander Semin. A great job. The Panthers were worry and the Caps did what you should to goalies that are backups.

It's been a two point night. On to Philly for payback from the last time the Caps were there.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 10:44 PM

I am not so sure this suspension would be called by Campbell, if there is indeed a suspension. He has a son who plays for the Panthers, and I would think there may be "conflicts of interest" there....

Nice game! I just like that all lines looked so awesome out there tonight. Took particular pleasure in seeing the likes of Bradley and others on the power play...well, they have to play some time...:)

I have not been keeping up with the board these past two days as I normally do (mostly as just a reader), but I was wondering if anyone knows why there were "Free Alex" signs, but with the "R" facing backwards....I ask here, because while scanning the previous post, I did notice that IRockthered (I think) did post a link to those posters.

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 3, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about Campbell.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Figures that the dying old dinosaur that is Sports Illustrated full of idiots for whom the only real sports are baseball, football and basketball doesn't even allow comments on the article published on their website.

This sorry excuse of a sports writer is gonna get an email he won't forget until the day he dies.

Not only he takes an absolutely ridiculous stab at Ovie even going as far as comparing his accidental knee on knee to the worst acts of NHL violence in the last decade (plays that had nothing to do with the game), but his bile really is clear to see in his conclusion. The man hates hockey as a sport with a passion. My only question is why in hell is writing about the sport he can't stand? Why doesn't he write about the amazing game of football where an average career lasts 3 years and players walk away crippled?

Posted by: ranndino | December 3, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Well I was really being sarcastic. No I don't expect Campbell to even look at it even if his son wasn't on the Panthers. Now this is the kind of incident on the ice that I call dirty. It was a sudden attack on an unsuspecting Gioux who laid a perfectly good and legal check. This was not just a moment in the game. It was going after a rookie. Good call by the refs but between Clark and BB they were going to make sure that the refs took it seriously. Gotta advocate--gotta always advocate--for your guys with the refs.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 3, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Florida appeared to be mounting a potential comeback, but the shorty by Brads killed them. It was a weak goal, but great to see the team finally get a shorthanded marker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was their first of the year.

Semin was awesome obviously, but I am thoroughly impressed by Alzner. He is very steady back there, and I really like the kid so far. Hopefully something can happen that will allow him to stay up with the team.

The league should remove the second game of OV's suspension, because you know not participating in tonight's game was absolutely killing him.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 3, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

semin 21 pts in 19 games

TimeOnIce
8 players between 15 and 20
backs 21:33
semin 21:53
green 26:25 (this is ok when 50% of that is PP time)
green TOI for PP 13:32
alzner, bradley, clark, erskine, juice, perreault, sloan, steckel =
TOI for PP 12:17

this is not the first time i've noticed a more 'complete' game when ice time is distributed a little more evenly

i feel bad for varly that he didn't end up with the SO

The_Stanley_Caps:
the я would be from russian script - although i do not believe it translate to an english R

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about Campbell.

No problem. Even if he doesn't get to make the call, you never know if that still will have any influences....I do not feel the league is very consistent with these sort of things. Not sure if I personally feel that is suspension worthy, but I think it is ridiculous how many times players are attacked after making perfectly legal and clean hits.

Now, who I believe should have been suspended is Ballard for his whack at Vokoun's head. He should have at least been fined for that. I do not care if it was a teammate's head or not, that is completely reckless and uncalled for. At least instigate a new rule, as Locker mentioned tonight, where that sort of play (to a player's head or to the goal post) results in a unsportsmanlike or something...

Ooh, and another question...They mentioned that David Booth was still out from concussion symptoms (and should be out for the remainder of the '09 year)....is that still a result from Richard's dirty/reckless play? (Thank goodness Ov did not keep Gleason out!)

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 3, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Just read on ESPN's "rumors" that the capitals might be interested in Scotty Niedermayer. This is the one Defenseman that has been in the back of my mind all season. The guy has 4 cups, and would be INVALUABLE come the playoffs. That and his 6 million comes off the books at the end of the season, creating room for the dmen to come up and to sign Backstrom and Semin. (thats if we send back the appropriate salary back).

Nothing substantial, just rumors...still exciting to think about.

Posted by: BACKS | December 3, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

The_Stanley_Caps:

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 3, 2009 11:08 PM

Oh, ok. Now that makes sense. Thanks.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | December 3, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@BACKS - who are the other three teams besides the Caps that are looking at Niedermayer? Just curious.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 3, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@Jonathan

Devils, Canucks, and Flyers.

I'be heard the Devils rumor in a lot of places.

Posted by: BACKS | December 3, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I did not really need to see this. Rather remember Varly from his steely stares than this "gay-er" side of our future Vezina Trophy winner.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 3, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@BACKS
Thanks for the tidbit. Here's to hoping the Caps could land him. That would make sense even with the contract and where it's at. Still a ways away though from he deadline.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 3, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@wocoliz

You're right. I'm very happy with Semin's first game back from injury. And very happy with the Caps' performance against Florida.

The "Trade Semin" lobby can now shut up.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 3, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps & @CaptainKirkInAZ

The backwards 'R' in Cyrillic script is pronouced with a "Ya" sound.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 3, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

Your post is spot on.

1) Florida had nothing left in the tank today. After going through an overtime game and an extended shootout and they flying here.

2) The trolls are conspicuous by their absense tonight.

3) Nothing like biased coverage of Ovi. (My own take, now that I've finally calmed down. Granted, Ovi didn't do the right thing but, and that's a very big but, I think both of those penalties should have been minor penalties.) It just goes to show you, that if they're out to get someone, they'll find a way. And the only way for that someone to avoid being "gotten" is to be absolutely perfect. That doesn't just apply to professional hockey. It applies to other walks of life as well.

It seems like the there's more anti-Russian bias among hockey sportswriters than any other nationality. I only hear Russians get slammed for "taking shifts off", "being soft"; etc. The Russians are to hockey as blacks and Hispanics are to baseball.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 3, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Mike Duco's "attack" on Giroux was way worse than ANYTHING that Ovi EVER did in his entire life. Serves him right to get a 2 minute instigator, 5 minute fighting, and 2 misconduct penalties.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 3, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse