Looks Like Theodore in Net Tonight

Coach Bruce Boudreau wouldn't divulge who will start in goal tonight for the Caps against the Blackhawks, but Jose Theodore was the first off the ice in the morning skate at Kettler. Traditionally in the NHL the first goaltender to come off the ice is the starter.

Theodore also doesn't talk to the media on days that he's playing, and a team official said he would be unavailable this morning. So it appears all signs point to Theodore starting and getting a chance to erase the memory of his performance in last night's 7-4 loss to Atlanta.

"I'd like to see consistency out of both of them," Boudreau said. "I think Brent (Johnson) played very good until the last five minutes of the game. I'd like to see consistency from Jose. You know, we need a save -- we've got to get it."

"This is (Theodore's) 12th year in the NHL I would hope in these situations you relish them you don't get nervous. Even though it's with a new team and I think it's human nature a little bit (to get nervous), but it wouldn't have been something on my list that I was worried about."

Also, Boudreau said he's going to see how the defense responds to the breakdowns and overall poor showing against the Thrashers tonight before making any changes.

"(The defensemen) were embarrassed last night, let's do better. One game is not a trend," Boudreau said. "If it happens again tonight we'll address it right now we're hoping it was a one-game thing and we're going get back to playing the way we're capable of playing."

By Katie Carrera  |  October 11, 2008; 12:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: T-Minus 90 Minutes
Next: Khabibulin To Start For 'Hawks

Comments

lets hope for a better outing today.

Posted by: reekie | October 11, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow - never been first. Just need to get last night out of the head; the whole team may have needed it after hearing all summer and fall how they are the next big thing. Now it's time to get down to business and prove it. Theo needs to relax and make some stops, or we may see a revolving door of Johnson/Machesney/Varlamov sooner rather than later. Go Caps and Rock the Red!

Posted by: Roose | October 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Oops - typed too long.:)

Posted by: Roose | October 11, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

i posted my pregame thoughts at http://feartheweagle.blogspot.com

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

in the words of jp: oy

Posted by: der | October 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Should never have sent Alzner down. BB messed up on that one.

Posted by: Danny | October 11, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I really think last night was a fluke, they just need to settle down and play some team D. And maybe un-scratch Gordon.

Posted by: honed | October 11, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

we can do it! our team just needs to click. it seemed like as soon as johnson got on the ice yesterday the whole team was more confident - they knew how he could play. when theodore was on they seemed shakier because they didn't know what to expect really. i hope that after 12 years he can shake his nerves... i know they always get nervous but yesterday was ridiuculous!
oh greenie.. those were two nice goals but he needs to focus a bit more on the whole defensive part! maybe feds could play a bit back there later. i thought it was really funny when he was asked about that hit that sent him to the bench yesterday he was like "well it took me a couple of seconds to get my vision back... but i'm okay now!" he makes me nervous.
i wish i could watch the game live but ALAS i have homecoming... i'll periodically check the web on my iphone :D
GO CAPS lets crush huet

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Weird opening week -- Detroit, Montreal, and we all lose in our first games, to weak teams, even.

Let's hope they settle down for this one.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ward has given The Beaver a stern talking-to.

Posted by: uncatim | October 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to it. The game should be a good match-up; I have three batteries for my camera - yay for the postal service getting the spares to me! - and I'm ready to ROCK!

See you at the Phone Booth!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess Tarik got it too personal, too many shots after the loss yesterday :-) Thanks, Katie!

Posted by: Dave King | October 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the outfits the Thrasher girls had on last night?

One was right on my TV during the National Anthem. Oh Yes I could see.

No wonder they won.

Lets hope our boys find some kind of motavation tonight.

Posted by: RongCaps Fan | October 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to a loud, proud building tonight. Rock the Red and LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Jill | October 11, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Go capitars!

if win me ruv you rong time!

prease beat Chicrago Brackhawk!

Posted by: me ruv washington capitars | October 11, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Anybody grabbing drinks before the game tonight?

Posted by: Pregame? | October 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Pregame? - I'm not; $10 for a bad mudslide (at the Green Turtle) is a bit rich for my blood this week. Maybe another game?

Posted by: i rock the red | October 11, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, does anyone know if they raise the banner at 7 right before gametime or if there is a ceremony beforehand? If so, what time should I be in my seat? Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Jason | October 11, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Jason:
According to the games notes, "the ceremony will push puck drop back by 3:30, to 7:11:30."

Posted by: Boo! | October 11, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Danny! Regardless of what BB and GMGM claim, Alzner was sent down due to salary cap considerations. Check it out:

The Caps are already one man below the max roster, so they would have had to drop 1 or 2 more players to fit Alzner in. We'll see him soon enough when injuries dictate the situation. In the meantime, he's gaining valuable experience with a Bears team that is dominating. Patience is a virtue people, so let's excercise it. Cheers!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | October 11, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The Atlanta announcers were criticizing Theodore's puck-handling skills even before "the whiff" saying it's not being cruel but rather that he's well known not to have strong handling skills.

Our entire team did '07 Injured Nylander Spinoramas in our d zone for large chunks of time in Period #1. They needed to get it out and close the door on Alanta entering the zone and on JT's doorstep.

The "whoever scores first wins" stat is the most well-known/consistent stat in the NHL - other than if you put Ovie on the penalty shot you will not get a goal

Posted by: a s | October 11, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

JT sucks
Huet sucks

lucky for Chi Town they still have the Bulin wall

Lucky for us we still have? Oh yea we don't have anyone do we?

Anyone saying we should have bid more on Huet needs to watch NHL On the Fly! Huet was just a little better than he was in the game where he let in 7 of 15. We would be in trouble with either guy in net!

Posted by: Bob | October 11, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Theodore must think he's a regular Brodeur out there though, he strays way too often. As a former goalie, I can't stand the style he employs while handling the puck. He leaves himself vulnerable not being able to play the puck properly, since playing it the way he does means turning the stick and using the non curved side as the forehand.

It's harder to play the puck with conviction that way, and much harder to make a pass over any distance, or clear. When in those situations he does usually switch to a more conventional style, but I have seen that he is weak when playing it that way too.

end rant

Posted by: Caps Corndog | October 11, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The guy who dropped Varlamov's name is dead right. We need him called up. The problem is we lost a great mentor to him in Kolzig and Johnson isn't going to be able to fill those shoes. Get an old-timer with a wealth of insight and toughness to impart in the 2 spot and call Varlamov up this year. Theodore is never going to be in top form again, and Johnson will always be a moody, streaky, inconsistent netminder.

And I must have missed something somewhere: did we not manage to sign Neuvirth? If so, where'd he go/what's his status?

Posted by: dreux | October 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard all three GTs (Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Machesney are at Hershey until they figure out what to do with them

Posted by: Robb | October 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What was coach doing putting that goon Brashear out at the end of the game? That smacks way too much of somebody named Hanelon.

Posted by: WildRoseCountry | October 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Bruce has much choice but I'm genuinely concerned. Going right back to the same D and same goalie that stunk up the joint the night before would not be my 1st choice. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Waive Theodore, bring up Varlamov, drop Jurcina and bring in Alzner. Do it now rather than wait.

Posted by: Sapper | October 11, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

We should waive a guy after one bad night? I agree that Theo looked pretty bad yesterday but lets calm down people. About to head down to the V.C. in D.C. If we put up another complete stinker I'll start to worry but lets hold off the mass hysteria for a bit. Like Bruce said, one game is not a trend.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy,

W should never have signed him to that disastrous contract. So waiving him after yesterday? Yeah, I'm good with that.

Posted by: Sapper | October 11, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Sipper

You're an imbecile. Now BB is the definition of crazy ?

Absolute imbecile.

Posted by: Freud | October 11, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I call the shots, this team will be assembled according to me. Only me.
BB is my puppet.

Posted by: Napoleon | October 11, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

WildRoseCountry

"...putting that goon Brashear out at the end of the game..."

There's more hockey to come. There were 3 or 4 more minutes left in the 3rd period. We were down by 2 at the time (I think). Still within reach. The team is enemic.

So you DON"T roll your energy line???

Well, "COACH"...What do YOU do???

Posted by: Greg S. | October 11, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse