Posted at 12:17 PM ET, 02/26/2011

Capitals claim Marco Sturm off waivers

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals have claimed veteran left wing Marco Sturm, 32, off of waivers. The Los Angeles Kings placed Sturm, who will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2010-11 season and who will earn $3.5 million this season in the final year of his current contract.

Sturm played only 17 games with the Kings this season (9 points, 5 goals) and missed time with a knee injury. He underwent off-season surgery on his right knee this past summer after he tore both his ACL and MCL as a member of the Boston Bruins in last year's Stanley Cup playoffs.

It appears as though Sturm will likely fit on the second or perhaps third line wing and give the Capitals a few more options on both of those combinations, but we'll have to see how the next two days play out to know for sure.

According to Capgeek, Sturm's projected salary cap hit while with the Capitals is $827,957. You can check out Sturm's full contract details here.

In a separate move today, the Capitals placed enforcer D.J. King, who has appeared in only 14 games for Washington this season, on waivers.

--Meanwhile, New York Rangers' forward Derek Stepan was not suspended by the NHL for his hit on Mike Green Friday night. Stepan was fined however, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.

By Katie Carrera  | February 26, 2011; 12:17 PM ET
Categories:  Marco Sturm
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jay Beagle recalled, Semyon Varlamov to start against Islanders
Next: Mathieu Perreault reassigned to Hershey, Todd Ford to backup on Long Island

Comments

THE OFFENSE IS COMPLETE!!!

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | February 26, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tondi | February 26, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So we just ate up most of our cap space on Sturm. Hopefully this means Semin is gone. If not, I give up.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@ underpants

yeah, WTF

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | February 26, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

King is on waivers

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

solid pick-up

Posted by: gocaps01 | February 26, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

We had cap space, now we don't. The one saving grace was the players we could have afforded. Now, not so much.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

No we didnt, bc most likely Poti or Fehr won't be coming back. So Sturm's salary matches Poti's. That means we use LTIR space to make other moves. Just means we most likely swung and missed on Hemsky.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Fehr's done for the season?

Posted by: wocoliz | February 26, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

We had about 675 space counting Alzner's bonus fully. Sturm hit is 23% of 3.5 = 800K. Now we save 23% of King salary = 146 and this puts us about 20K under the cap at the end of the year.

Again, we have wiggle room 850K for Alzner bonus if you want to spend that and be penalized next year.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 26, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, Marco Sturm is a "hometown hero" for me and definitly a descent player ...

... however, how will he solve the Caps' problems in goal scoring?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention players are most likely going to be gone come Monday if McPhee has his wya.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Will Marco Sturm stay ? Or will he be shipped elsewhere ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The shoes begin to drop . . . that was a bad display last night, i can't believe noone stepped up and took care of Steppan after that hit. That did it for GMGM. we went from buyers, to sellers at this point. Wholesale.

Posted by: mekongplease | February 26, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

So DJK got waived, eh? BB MUST GO IMMEDIATELY (one)!! Picking up a damaged has-been, and bringing up Beagle, at DJK's expense does nothing for me. I'm now as ticked-off at the team as I was when Erskine got exiled last year.

Best of luck, DJ, and I hope that you're not treated as shabbily on your next team as you were here. You never got a chance. As for tonight, I hope we get our a@@es handed to us by an upstart, confrontational Islanders team.

Run amok tonight, Gillies and Co., and if Erskine has to wear a policeman's hat and engage in a "premeditated" fight w/ya I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't end his career.

Stanley Cup? I could care less if we didn't make the playoffs so long as BB is at the helm

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I have a bad feeling that we have seen the last of Green this year. Concussions are scary.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

We need to trade Laich for Weiss or Connolly. Then have Weiss/Connolly centre Semin and Sturm

Posted by: smsoti | February 26, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

This would have been a good pickup five years ago. Now it is terrible..the guy is ridiculously banged up. It just affirms the fact the Caps are not serious about advancing further than they did last year.

Posted by: spartyinmd | February 26, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If he's healthy, he will help.

Posted by: jmy999 | February 26, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

Relax dude, Sturm is a good pick up.. DJK was a dissapointment, he lost every fight he was in, and was expendable... I rather have JB in the line up over King anyday... I am not sure why people hate BB so much, he has the highest winning % of any active coach since he has come in the league. I will say I am just as frustrated as you, but no point in complaining about BB, he wont get fired until offseason if at all... I would blame the players before the coach.. Just becuase this team isn't high flying scoring machine every one want BB gone. Let see how the season plays out guys...

Connolly sucks.... I rather have Arnott...

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@zmega:

I have the same feeling ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Guess that's why King didn't play last night. I expected to see him last night and then figured they were saving him for the Isles. Wrong about that too. Not feeling good at all about the way the team's moving, to say the least.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 26, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

well, at least he is a German.

Posted by: thesmartone | February 26, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes, ThePat, you are right, you can LTIR Poti and you avoid being over the cap, on a daily basis, by adding Sturm.

You subtract King and add Beagle.

I guess therefore we stay roughly $700K under so we can still add a salary of about $3M that will prorate to the available cap space. Plus you can LTIR Fehr for some period of time and stretch that out some more.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 26, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

From Katie on Twitter:
"Stepan not suspended. Is in lineup tomorrow."

Followed by Mike Vogel on Twitter:
"Guess my bottom line here is how can you expect the League to be more upset about a hit than Green's own teammates were?"

Posted by: wocoliz | February 26, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@zmega -- after last playoffs I actually don't mind Green being out. He was horrendous. This time of eyar it seems he forgets how to play and/or can't pick up his play to match others in the playoffs.

Posted by: spartyinmd | February 26, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

McPhee when he traded for King:

"We acquired the player we targeted."

McPhee this morning:

"We waived the player we targeted."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 26, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@spartyinmd:

... I think there were some health issues ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps

dude you're obviously not a caps fan at all saying things like that why don't you do everyone a favor and not comment saying extremely negative things like that.

Posted by: anton8359 | February 26, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that King will do just fine on his next team (Hershey). IMO nobody will pick him up.

Flyers claimed Nick Boynton. I would rather have him then Sloan.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 26, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

if green was hurt i doubt he flys out last night to attend family matters

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@capsbaby

DJK was expendable because he was never given a chance to assimilate. And besides, it has nothing to do w/DJK himself but everything to do with having someone on the bench whose primary function is to beat people up. So can we trade for someone like Thornton, Shelley, Boulton, or Parros?

I'd even be happy w/Neil, Clarkson, or Boll filling our roll of enforcer. Instead, we've got Hendricks and Bradley for forward pugilists and that's it. THATS IT!

I've posted a few times how everything about the team improves when DJK was in the lineup (better winning %, more goals scored, less goals given up, more fights per game/avg). Coincidence or not, Ovi and Backstrom's numbers were greatly improved whenever DJK played.

And because GMGM obstinately sticks by BB, GMGM MUST BE CANNED ALONG W/BB AT THE FIRST POSSIBLE MOMENT (two)!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Followed by Mike Vogel on Twitter:

Posted by: wocoliz | February 26, 2011 12:49 PM

The rats are jumping off the ship. Even Vogel is criticizing the team. Next it will be Ted's son in a Crosby jersey.

I know some of us posted long and hard last night that not making Stepan pay was disgraceful. We were not wrong.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 26, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

hemsky please

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing to me that folks still protect BB with the famous "he's got the best winning percentage...blah, blah, blah" This is because when he came in, offense was all BB knows, league couldn;t adapt, & we played in the weakest division in hockey (until this year). Now that BB has been figured out, our division is better, it shows that BB is out coached on a daily basis, and he surely doesn't know how to use his players to the best of their abilities. See play-offs every year of BB tenure as examples.

My condolences to vermont on the King waiver. Hopefully this puts to sleep any Chris Neil trade as BB doesn't appreciate this types of players on his rink

Posted by: BoudreauDaPumpkinHead | February 26, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe we are witnessing the calm before the storm.

Semin will be moved. Poti and Fehr will go LTIR. Eakin will be traded. Gordon will be waived.

All this needs to happen if there is any chance to salvage this. Ted can't sell status quo anymore.

I beg everyone. Go to Teds Take and tell him. We need an electronic mutiny here.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps

Posted by: anton8359 | February 26, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

On the contrary, I've been a Caps fan (in all likelihood) since before you were even an itch in your daddy's pants. Does the name Tom McVie mean anything to you?

And I've got to know, anton, what did I say that was "extremely negative"?? Was it hoping that the Isles win tonight so as to better expose the problems/flaws created by BB and GMGM?

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@pkme:

Why Hemsky? He is a player on a bad team - a team which is much worse than the Caps
...

Hemsky has 13 goals and 28 assists ... not overwhelming ...

... and for the record: BB isn't out coached on a daily basis, the Caps are 5th in the conference - that want happen, if a coach is out coached much of the time ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I get what you are saying, I am giving BB the rest of this season before saying he should be fired. They do have a new style of play that SHOULD help in playoffs.. I wonder if Caps had same regular season results as last year up to date what Caps fans would be saying.. They would praise BB, my thing is BB has adjusted to other teams, its getting players that fit the system, which I am not sure the caps have. Our defense is much better, last year everyone cried about the defense, now everyone cries about the offense.. The key is get in the playoffs and lets see how this new system works.. If the caps exit out in first round, I wil agree that BB needs to go... I'll give GMGM until Monday to see if he makes the moves to get a player(s) to help this team get over the struggles they are having.. I love my Caps, and will stick with them not matter what.

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree we are getting ready for a "hurricane" of moves. If they picked up Sturm, it means Semin is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Semin gone tonight after the game. They don't play again till Tuesday night. I predict, IMO, this team will be much different come Monday night.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

want = won't

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What is firing BB and GMGM at this point going to accomplish? The real problem with this team is in the locker room. These are grown men and suppose to be professionals, if they can't come prepared to play and act like they care, then it says something about them as individuals.

Posted by: phrankbama | February 26, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@phrankbama

You hit the nail on the head. And thats why a few of them wont be here come Monday.

But I still dont absolve BB and GMGM. They have played a major role in this, but your point is what the main issue is.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This Team is DONE...end of story. Nothing will help at this point for this year.
Best case scenario:
1) BB fired.
2) Bring in interim coach until a solid replacement is found.
3) Get rid of Semin
4) Get some grit on this team
5) After the Caps squeak into the playoffs (or don't) and after their first round exit (or their tee times when they don't make the playoffs) FIRE GM

Posted by: joshu1 | February 26, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

You're right BB is not out couched on a daily basis. He's saved but what little offense we have left. I am all for a defensive system, certainly it's better for the play-offs, but if you can't score, it's all for naught. Seeing how the Caps are being shut out every 7 games, I don't trust their "O" either. But I guess when your bottom six are composed with the likes of Gordo, Matty P, Steckel, & your "D" is softer than the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man, a short trip in the playoffs is all we can expect

Posted by: BoudreauDaPumpkinHead | February 26, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@phrankbama

... you have to have team chemistry and an understanding for each other to be successful ...

... Therefore, I think that the team chemistry will take a hit if Semin is shipped ... it will be a blow for our young guns and not a "warning" or "a wake up call" ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@phrankbama

I agree. The players need to change. This is it for these guys. No more.

Please, tell Ted.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

question when a player goes on LTIR does that mean they are shut down for the year. so a Fehr would not be able to play for the playoffs if that happened

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@ The Pat

...I couldn't agree more with phrankbama, but with that said at some point the coach has to take some blame. IMO I think a coaching change is in order unless they get to the conference finals or better. It seems to me the team partially has tuned out BB and it showed last night during the Rangers game. They responded during the timeout in Anaheim and won, but last night they put their collective heads in the ice except for Ovie and disappeared. This team needs changes and if GMGM doesn't in the next 48 hrs, he needs to be shown the door at seasons end. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks @Pat

What I don't get is how this happened. This team always played with such heart and passion, where did it go? It's more or less the same team as last year. You can't tell me Morrison and Morrison were the leaders in the locker room.

Posted by: phrankbama | February 26, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@robostop10

I agree with you too. I dont see a coaching change happening now. But once the season ends I wouldnt be surprised..

@phrankbama

Its pro sports. Passion can come and go in the blink of an eye. Sometimes even though the guys are good friends with each other, they get sick of actually playing the sport together. And that is what is going on here. You have 3 guys who I wont name that guys just simply dont like playing with. But they love them off the ice. And that is where the chemistry goes into the trash can.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I have officially become a "goats blood drinker" and have now joined the darksiders.

@phrankbama
@thePat

The problem in the locker room is the environment that was cultivated by the head coach, who was hired and still supported by GMGM. Everyone is to blame, and I predict we are on the precipice of seeing a total collapse that will gain momentum quickly. Here's to hoping the Isles take no prisoners tonight...

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Players tend to take the personality of the coach. A coach who is lazy & doesn't have good personal work habits will often have a team that displays the same traits. A coach who doesn't really like defense can't be expected to run a defensive system.

This is the problem with the locker room & the team.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 26, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

...I hate to say it, but based on what I've seen the past week...

Capitals-2
Islanders-5

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@robostop

and in terms of GMGM I have been on record on here about 2 months ago, if he can't get it done he shouldnt be fired, rather just resign from the GM position and remain as Vice President of Hockey Operations. The guy is smart and knows hockey talent. His problem is finding talent that meshes together. Hire a young up and coming GM that is a free thinker, risk taker.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat,
That sounds like a big problem, let's hope GMGM knows how to fix it.

Posted by: phrankbama | February 26, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

can anyone answer the LTIR question posted above

Posted by: samb99 | February 26, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@phrankbama

Everyone is rewarded for failure on this team. Semin, Schultz, Poti, Flash, Gordon, McPhee, BB, ....

Guys who weren't on board got shown the door.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

...If GMGM gets the boot, is he too prideful to take that type of position? The next question is who takes his place. Do you trust someone who has little to no experience? Do you try to find a veteran who knows who to build a winner?

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, hooray. An old, broken, winger. That's *exactly* what we need.

Also, I agree with the people who say changing coaches this late would result in anything positive. I mean, it's not like it did anything for the Devils.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 26, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@samb

If a player is on LTIR that means you can go over the salary cap by his number. The player must sit a minimum of 10 games or 27 days. Once he is healthy, you have to get back underneath the cap.

So to answer your question if Poti or Fehr are on LTIR it means nothing about being out for the year. However I expect Poti to be shut down and have surgery. And Fehr to be able to come back at some point but maybe not till the playoffs.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Pure and simple, this was a move to get everyone's attention (along with benching MP). There are more moves to come according to my inside sources.

Message, last night won't happen again.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 26, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

3 guys out of 18 ... hmm

... and it can't be Mike Green as when he went out it got worst ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@samb99, the answer is no. A player on LTIR is out for at least 24 days and 10 games, and the LTIR is retroactive to the time of the injury. It relieves bumping into the cap by the amount of salary for the games missed. It would provide relief but would not keep Fehr out of the playoffs if he's healthy.

The Caps, on the other hand, might keep Fehr (and the rest of them) out of the playoffs

Posted by: Justafan | February 26, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@robostop10

Steve Yzerman...oops.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Because the remainder of the season will UNDOUBTEDLY unfold as I envision, I think we should TRADE ERSKINE to the Bruins for Daniel Paille. The Caps are desperately looking for more pansies, and the Bruins can begin to address their mistake of replacing Stuart with Valabik. It'd be a good trade for my two favorite teams....

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 26, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@robostop

He might be too prideful, I dont know him that well. Just know that his family is very important to him and I think his kid is about to start highschool and he would be very hesitant to move them so it could be a possibility that he would do it.

Personally I'd go with a younger guy who has the personality of a Burke or Holmgren. Different sport but I'd use the Theo Epstein comparison from the Red Sox.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Can we ask St. Louis for SDV back? I kind of liked where he was heading.

Maybe we can trade B. Gordon for Konopka. Then our checking lines could have a faceoff specialist who checks.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 26, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@CTCapsFan

I'll belive it when I see it. I mean this isn't even the first time we've been blanked by the Rags and given up over 5 in the last two months.

Why didn't anything happen when we lost to them 7-0? That's the biggest issue with this whole pathetic organization. No one is held accountable for anything.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 26, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

good pick-up, but with his injury issues, claiming him off waivers was the only way to make this deal worth our while.
and stefan della rovere better not pan out for the blues, because if he does, then we traded him for a one-dimensional enforcer who played in only 14 games and didn't even make it to the playoffs. not your best move, GMGM.

Posted by: Sportaholic | February 26, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised no one is talking about MP possibly out for tonight's game. Do you think he could be on his way out of town and not just to hershey.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 26, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Sturm is a gritty two way player. That's a good pick up for nothing. (Anyone remember how Brian Bellows worked out for us in 98 after we picked him up on waivers? Or Tikkanen? Forgetting the missed open net in the finals of course. Both were solid leadership additions that worked.)

And i agree with some of you that more moves are coming. Let's hope that its the catalyst for a more responisble and dedicated team performance from here on out.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had time to read all these posts, but rather than holding on or maintaining a solid core of young players, which has always been McPhee's strategy, why not let some go in order to acquire Brad Richards from Dallas. I mean, they'd be crazy to let him go, especially as good as they are, but they are entertaining bids for him and I'm sure if a move makes more sense in order to be a better team next season, that they'll do it. Why not release Semin, a solid youngster in Mathieu Perreault and a high draft choice. I'm no GM, but how horrible of a trade is that? I believe we have the depth to make up the loss of Semin and Perreault in exchange for a solid and consistent center in Brad Richards. What do you think?

Posted by: daviladk | February 26, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I like MP, He seems like a nice enough guy. But he simply isn't an NHL hockey player. Of someone else wants him, more power to them.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 26, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@natresgroup

He's been on his way out from about day 5 he was called up this season. He won't be on the Caps by Monday. From GMGM's perspective he hopes its to another team, but it could just be to Hershey.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat,

So that means there will be a new center in town.

Posted by: phrankbama | February 26, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

and we thought this season would be a complete borefest until the playoffs started.

Posted by: knape1 | February 26, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I said it yesterday, the other GMs in the league are not idiots. If we trade MP, it won't be for much. so don't get too excited about him not wearing the CAPS crest come tuesday.

Posted by: mekongplease | February 26, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@phrankbama

99% chance yes....and probably another player as well.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

... and it seems as if BB and GMGM are listening to the comments here on the threat demanding a 2C ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

MP has heart, but lacks size and skill needed to play as an NHL center, especially on the lower 6 forward lines. Don't think we'll be seeing him in a Caps sweater again for awhile.

But keep in mind, his biggest games tend to be on the day he gets called up...

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 26, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@mekongplease

It is the other way around - we are excited that MP isn't wearing a Caps crest anymore ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

what i meant was we ain't getting anybody too exciting in exchange for him.

Posted by: mekongplease | February 26, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@mekongplease

Ok I got it ...

However, ThePat mentioned some "big names" ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@thepat

thanks for the info, i'm pretty sure if he's going out of town in a trade it's part of a package of players. he was good for one game out of 10. i don't know what player i saw being knocked to the ice more than MP. that's not including Ovi's constant falling for no real reason.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 26, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What the hell are we supposed to do with Marco Sturm? wtf.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Also, Beagle >>>> King, especially in the playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

March 1 can't get here fast enough. All trades should be done by Jan. 1 and in off season.

Posted by: nicety251 | February 26, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@ thePat

Any more insight on what type of players are going to be involved in this? Don't really care who is going, to be honest (unless its Alzner/Carlson/Ovi/Backstrom or Holtby)

I'm dyin' over here!

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

... put him into the package with MP ? ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I just noticed that Katie has updated and expanded the original post to include contract details for Sturm, among other things.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 26, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

... put him into the package with MP ? ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 |

Put someone who was just put on waivers at 3.5 mil/yr and not claimed by anyone but a late team as a package?

Good luck with that one.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The koolaid jug is officially empty.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps

You're aware that they only made that trade for cap space, right?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

According to Katie, Sturms cap hit is only 875K. It seems like a steal to me if he works out well for the stretch run and can stay healthy.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daviladk |

I think that B Richards being the prize of this year's deadline, if he is even traded, can get a much better package for Dallas than simply Semin and Perreault.

Semin has more value than most people give him credit for, and his extension helped as well. But his value is no where near what it's going to be in the off-season.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What about Booth from FLA? can't we use him?

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

marco sturm has the compete level of chimera. I wonder who these fans are who think this a good pickup. Only loser teams would pick up a Sturm at this point in his career. He's a fairly soft one dimensional player who should be put out to pasture. He is a bandaid, nothing more. Another bad pickup by a bad gm

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 |

pro-rated cap hit.

Lombardi needed the roster spot, so he had to waive someone. *shrug

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

so sturm in and king out eh? The soft get softer. I love how mcphee truly does go dumpster diving for players. What a loser

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Semin should be moved to LA immediately.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

I agree - however, BRichards isn't playing for Dallas at the moment ...

... I fear he could end up as the next Lindros - concussions are very problematic ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"He's a fairly soft one dimensional player.." - CST

So you are saying he should fit right in?

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Sturm is a gritty two way player? Compared to WHO??? Semin?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

He is like Berezin but a little stockier. I never liked Sturm in his prime. Let alone now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

He might be out at the moment, but he has generated some great offense for Dallas. Look how well Dallas was doing before he suffered the concussion. Look, for as much as I hate Sid the Kid, even with a concussion, I would still want him on my team. If Dallas is willing to trade him Brad Richards, I would take him in a heart beat knowing that asset he would be when he gets better. We need a second line center.

Posted by: daviladk | February 26, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Also Varly is "hurt" and Todd Ford recalled to back up Neuvy tonight. And Matty P has officially been sent down to Hershey.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

And the Rangers just got McCabe.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Also Varly is "hurt"

Posted by: ThePat |

Oh great...

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I dont care what anyone say; Sturm will be a plus for this team. I could see him being on the Third line, making our 3rd line pretty darn good.. He isn't what he use to be but at 32 still has plenty left in the tank.. He is pretty solid on Defense and can chip in goals. I was on a few other blogs Sturm was moved up to play on the top line, so he must not be that bad.. Also LA was shocked he was claimed, even while on waivers he was still with team and was going to play in the Kings next game.. LA only put him on waiver for roster flexability, if he made it through waivers they could demote sturm without have to wait 24 hours. He was only on waivers in case they needed to move a player, not because of his skills..

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@daviladk

You are right, however a second line centre has to play ... how long will it take for Richards until "he gets better" ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Once again you show your true ignorance when it comes to hockey. Sturm is a leadership and veteran guy. As much as you may not like him, he is a consistent 20+ goal scorer when healthy. Has 4 goals and 9 points in 17 games this year. Not bad compared to the deadbeats on our team.

Fehr's injury creates a hole in the line-up that Sturm fills. And did I mention that he cost us NOTHING interms of prospects, picks or players?! His salary comes off the books at the end of the year. He has playoff experience and played for some very good Boston teams.

Man. Always negative spewing from your fingertips. You're not as hockey savvy as you think you are.

And very angry, might i point out.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Completely off topic, but is anyone looking for Pro Reloaded CCM U+ Skates size 8.0D? New, with box, never been on the ice or used. Friends trying to sell them, they are too big for him. Shoot me an email at forsbergbackstrom@gmail.com if interested. We could probably work out some sort of local drop-off, save time and money on the shipping.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@thepat -

also varly is "hurt" -

did you just cut and paste that from the many other times this has happened? it should be reported now with Varly ISN'T hurt, now that's news.

keep the info coming... i wonder if the "trade" will happen and who will being moving.

Posted by: natresgroup | February 26, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

On Brad Richards:

Yes he was dinged up. Dallas knows they arent going to be able to re-sing him. So if hes slightly dinged up you sit him so he doesnt get really hurt and mess up his trade value. So personally I dont think his "concussion" was serious or a concussion at all.

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Are they trading Varly?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What other moron GM is so freaking incapable of filling a 4th line tough guy role? I bet if ken holland wanted to he could find a capable one in a jiffy. The "easiest" position to fill on a roster and mcphee struggles mightily with it. He's a joke.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsBaby |

While Murray is probably really upset right now, I am sure Lombardi is very happy. He cleared a decent amount of cap space and a roster spot, opens up the possibility of another move for them.

Go Kings, but don't go as far as the Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

It can't get any clearer. GMGM really has no idea about what he is doing. The softest team in the league waives King and picks up Sturm. Way to rob your players of any remaining courage that they might possess going into a home-and-home with the Islanders. As I said last night, the Caps are about to run into a buzz saw. McPhee probably thinks that our superior skill will be enough vs. the Islanders. Superior skill means nothing when your skill players are cowering or always looking over their shoulders. Haley, Hamonic, Martin, Konopka, and friends (is Gillies back from supension yet?) are going to bring the lumber tonight. This is a team that can't wait to turn the tables on a Caps team that has dominated them in the past. Erskine, Bradley, and Hendricks better bring a bag of knuckles tonight because they are going to need them.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I like the way Hemsky plays. He never stops moving. Is productive and is a two dimensional player. Better IMO than everyone on the third line and fourth line and better than everyone on the 2nd line minus Semin. MJ is still a rookie so I am not including him.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Leclaire on waivers....

I was ranting and yelling and hollering for the Caps to pick up Leclaire on waivers from CBJ the first time a few years ago.

Hindsight, I am so happy we did not.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Jmurray its fans like you consistently praise every stupid move our front office makes. And then look foolish later. Sturm a leadership guy? Roflmao

Only in a deluded caps fan's mind does marco sturm suddenly become a gary roberts. Bwaaaahaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What bugs me is that we pick up a guy off waivers, which means just one more "NHL regular" has to sit. Didnt we learn anything from last season? Why not trade/waive the guys who arent cutting it and use our "stacked" farm system in Hershey to actually acquire some NHL-ready talent. A good AHL team is good for two reasons: to provide young players who can make a difference and as trade bait to bring in guys that can contribute now. Why is this so hard for GMGM to understand?

Posted by: rockthis | February 26, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Jmurray prolly loved the corvo move when it went down too. I just wonder how one GM can make so many insignificant moves and yet is hailed as a hero to some.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about everyone else, but I have this feeling a nuclear bomb is about to go off regarding a big trade. Just a feeling.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 26, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

mccabe to rangers for tim kennedy and 3rd pick

Posted by: natresgroup | February 26, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

What is everyone's obsession on here with Brad Richards? Shoot you all act like he is the 2nd coming. He is too expensive and not to mentioned dinged up. I would rather have the other Richards.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

There is no way in hell the Caps are even close to being the softest team in the league. That sentence is flat out ridiculous.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

I am not sure if your are being sarcastic or not, but I bet Sturm will surprise Caps fans. Lombardi, might be happy but now the Kings need to fill a decent void from Sturm being picked up.. Here is how I see it, I rather have Sturm over not having him, and not giving up any picks or prospect to get him.. He makes the Caps a better team... Dont get me wrong he isn't the "player" that this team needs, but he could be one of the pieces...

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

Who is softer than The Capitals in The whole NHL? I guess we could look up teams by hits and see where The Caps lineup in every position.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@CapsBaby

I don't know what you mean by me being sarcastic. I follow the Kings almost as closely as I follow the Capitals.

Loki would have been the obvious call-up to replace Sturm, but he's injured. That's why I said the coach, Murray, is probably really upset. But the GM, Lombardi, is probably happy because he cleared Sturm's cap space, which opens up the possibility of a trade for a say....Hemsky.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019

I can't believe you are going after cstanton1. He might be harsh, but he continues to correctly diagnose the Caps' problems over and over again.

And Sturm? What has he done in his career come playoff time? He has 19 career playoff points in 52 career playoff games. His teams in both San Jose and Boston have tanked come playoff time every year. He is one of those guys that picks up a lot of points in garbage time during the regular season, but when the going gets tough during playoff time he completely disappears.

cstanton1 is right on the mark on this one. But to be honest, he doesn't need my defending him either. His analysis on this board speaks for itself.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Richmond

Astute oberservation or maybe LA is about to do a deal with The Capitals. Maybe a three way trade with Oilers, Kings and Capitals. First piece maybe.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

I wasn't sure when you said Murray was probably upset, on these boards people have tons of sarcasim...

I thought the Kings would be a good trade partner for the Caps in moving Semin..

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 26, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

remember when chimera came in and was flying around and aeemingly makin things happen? Then he dropped off. Thats marco sturm's modus operandi. He plays beneath his capabilities because his mind is soft. Jmurray pegged him as gritty two way leader. That's an insult to guys who have performed that role admirably in the past. Marco resembles Chimera more than he does Kono. And he fades against tough teams and saves himself for the easier teams. He would've been one of many last nite on the ice for us who bent over and let the Rangers take it to us. A leader....gimme an effin break already

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

John Walton is tweeting that MattyP has NOT been assigned to Hershey???

Posted by: tess2201 | February 26, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I go to one movie and mp is in the minors and varly is hurt, wtf?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

I hated the Corvo move, just for the record. I think GMGM has wasted valuable time and missed out some real players that could help this team. I hate that he never in his time here made the big trade (and don't even mention Jagr!)

I think he should be replaced unless he makes "The Trade" that puts us over the top and keeps the system stacked for the future.

So, don't speculate what I think or don't think. Ask me and I will flat out tell you what I think. Don't be such an ignorant @$$ h0le.

I like Sturm and the way he plays. Glad we got him. If I'm wrong, I am man enough to admit it. You? Not so sure.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

no thx to richards either. The caps ARE soft. Which is why they are unable to muster nythingclose to a consistent effort. Thats how soft teams act

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Phil, size 8 skates are too big for your friend?

I think we have found our 2C. Please contact GMGM and put him in touch with your friend.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Tell ya what. Let's let sturm play about 10 games and then let's revisit this discussion. Deal? A 10 game sampling provides a decent glimpse into a player because you get to see him in diff situations and v diff teams.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

This is a "nice" pick up. Sturm is extremely fast (placed 2ne to Bondra in the fastest skatin competitions (forget which yr) and actually has hands. Think Chimmer with hands & some skill.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Phil, size 8 skates are too big for your friend?

Posted by: zmega |

I don't get it, especially considering that you would probably see 8.0 size skates a lot in the NHL, if not smaller. I'm 6 feet, and I wear 7.5. *shrug

Are you aware that skate sizes are 1.5 down lower than your shoe size?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Deal done ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | February 26, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Yep. If you like chimmy's competitive nature, you wont br disappointed with sturm.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Biggest concern with Richards is concussions. It's like driving a Yugo with 10,000 miles on it. It could die any minute or last a cpl yrs.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I actually have no idea if there are a lot of 8.0 size skates in the NHL, lol. I am just assuming because most NHL players go down a half size or size than what they are supposed to wear.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

And now Walton has changed his tune again and said that MattyP WAS assigned to Hershey but will not play this weekend. All in all, can this season get any stranger??

Posted by: tess2201 | February 26, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Look, my point on all this is that this team is less than one season removed from having the best record in the league. I know, they got bounced in the first round. They have had to rediscover their identity. They are playing like crap (last night was disgusting).

But I don't think this is a lost cause. I'm always optimistic, which I think is essential to being a Caps fan! I'm just as frustrated. Can't we agree on that?!

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Tru dat. My shoe size is 11.5 but my skate sizes vary from 10 to 10.5

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

agreed. And I will eat crow if the situation warrants that. But you do if i end up looking good on this.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Phil, no offense intended. My skates are 10's, so I get it. I have no data on NHL skate size distribution, but I would be surprised if there are a lot at 8 or smaller. I just intended my comment as a little joke about how the Caps have tried to get by with MP this year at 2C.

Posted by: zmega | February 26, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Ha!!! That fastest skater competition was in 1999!!! Over a decade ago. He has blown out his knee at least twice since then as well. His most recent playoff performance? 0 points in 7 games for Boston in 2009-10. Yup. This is the piece that the Caps need.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sturm's more competitive than Chimmer (with the exception of his out of body experience last night in fighting). No you won't see him fight and you won't see him bull somebody over but he competes along the boards and can beat Dmen regularly with his speed. My sense is and I'm only saying this b/c I haven't heard anything but I'm guessing Chimmer's days are numbered here.

Even with 2 rebuilt knees he's faster than most on the team. That speed will help open the ice up which we dearly need at this point.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Wondr who endsup with chris neil. Tje team who needs him most besides us is montreal

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

No way Varly just happened to get hurt last night, we sign Ford to a contract and have to pass him through waivers to call him up and it happens to be just as Varly happens to get hurt. I don't believe in coincidences. Not saying we are trading hime but it means he has been hurt for more then just today

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 26, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega |

Yeah, I revoked that statement afterwards, haha.

Has anyone used these Rocket Runner things they have on em?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

What a mess. Please tell Ted.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 26, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@covered - thanks for defining what "nice" means for everybody

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Fair enuff jmurray and FCK. 10 game sampling it is. And if he replaces chimmy even better

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 26, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

icehammer97:
I was thinking the same thing. I wondered last night when BB left Neuvy in there the whole game. Bruce has been pretty quick to yank his goalies in the past but not last night.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 26, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The Varly experiment should be over. If the wind blows in one direction his groin gets hurt. Most goalies that have repeated groin injuries generally will not have a long productive career. His groin muscles are not durable or can not handle the stress. Other goalies have it seems a better make-up than Varly. Not his fault just genetics. Real promise and potential good goalie but unfortunately it does not look like he is going to have a 10-12 year career.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Spezza, Phillips, and Neil for Semin, Laich, Perrault, Varlamov, and next years 1st rounder. Just a gut feeling (or is it a fantasy?) on this one ... no insider information.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkme |

Except that Varlamov is one of the better goaltenders in the league. Period.

Don't believe me? How does a non-elite goaltender go top 5 in the league in both save % and GAA on a team that had NO DEFENSE? I am talking about last year, when he was top 5 in the league, before his injury, and before the 17-game winning streak. Varlamov is top 7 in the league in save % and GAA this year, he was top 5 until about a week ago.

Varlamov's only problem is staying healthy, but I think it's clear that he is easily our best option of the two. (or three)

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@ coveredwithhisdust

I don't think the Cap numbers work on that trade, does it?

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ha,Marco Sturm.

WORST GM IN HOCKEY.

Fire McPhail 8 years ago

Posted by: Cheef | February 26, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Phillips sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

More and more teams are coming off the fence as far as being buyers or sellers. With Buffalo's win last night they are now 3pts out of 8th place with 2 games in hand. They are under new ownership and they have decided to make a run for it and go for the playoffs this yr. Which means all of you who wanted Connolly will be sad.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 26, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

by the looks of this move,anyone lookin for GMGM to pull off a glory move,yall gonna be dissapointed.Untill the caps get a GM that knows how to actually be a GM when it matters and get the right pieces you need to win and not just be able to draft well,(and aint even that good at that) the caps arnt gonna bring home no cup no time soon.Im as big a caps fan as you can get but im also realistic.GMGM can bring in anyone he wants but it aint gonna be good enough to win a cup.I hope GMGM proves me wrong and i eat crow but i say the same thing evry year,"i hope he proves me wrong" but he hasnt yet nor ever will.U Gotta go GM.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | February 26, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

i mean "do they?", if i used proper english

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@ coveredwithhisdust

I don't think the Cap numbers work on that trade, does it?

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Good question. I don't really know. I suspect that Spezza/Semin would be a wash. Phillips is unsigned next year. Laich and the others should cover Neil. My guess is that we would be fine for this season. Future seasons, don't really know to be honest. I would go for this trade if the numbers work.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

richmond

Varly has great potential. However he does not seem able to play a whole season healthy. When I think of great goalies I think of guys who can stay healthy and play a whole season. At least 50-55 games. And not get hurt every five minutes.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The numbers work, but think about that trade for a second. First of all, the Sens have Robin Lehner. We are also losing 4 NHL bodies for 3 NHL bodies, and we gain a defenseman, when we don't need another defenseman compared to our needs up front.

Phillips is also a shell of his former self.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@pkme

Yes, but I was just defending his actual play. I think it would be a mistake to trade him right now. His health is one of my more pressing concerns regarding the team's chances in the playoffs, so I just pray that he is 100% by the time he needs to be.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Richmond

Nevy in the playoffs would not work out well I fear. We do have to make the playoffs first. BTW, I like Varly and Nuevy. The problem is they are not getting any goal support so they end up looking bad at times. Goalie is the least of the Caps problems. However the health of these guys remain a huge concern for me long range.

Posted by: pkme | February 26, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Phillips is also a shell of his former self.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 26, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

True. Good observations. I am comfortable with Neuvirth for the playoffs. Our 2C problems would be solved, our grit issues would be greatly improved with Neil, and Phillips doesn't need to be a world-beater for us. But right now (depending upon Green's health), we need a seasoned defenseman for the playoffs. We cannot go in relying on Sloan.

From the Sens perspective. It kind of makes sense with placing Leclaire on waivers. They get Laich back (who was originally theirs to begin with), they get younger, they get a 1st rounder, and they would be set in goal for the foreseeable future.

Not likely, but not impossible.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | February 26, 2011 1:26 PM

ThePat: Can you at least tell us if all three are forwards?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 26, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

New thread everyone.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | February 26, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Sturm is a decent pick up only if this indeed the "Calm before the storm". As most of you know this team is still in desperate need of a 2nd Line Center. Without that, we're nothing more than what we have always been -- a 1 line threat that simply draws the oppositions best defensive match-ups.

I also agree that something needs to happen with either GMGM or BB or perhaps both.

When it come to George, i have never been a fan. Indeed he does deserve credit for mastering the rebuild of our club (both NHL & AHL). Aside from that however, he has done nothing with respect to taking us to the next level. It is my sincere hope that he proves me wrong over the next 48 hours, but given his past i won't hold my breath.

As for BB I will say that he has done some great things in Washington. He, along with some of our key players, have help put DC on the Hockey map. This year however, i think he has started to slip. I say that not because of the difference in W&L's but rather his lack of effort to wake these guys up and hold people accountable. (i mean optional practices after a game where we get kicked in the nuts the night before? Really?)

As a coach it's BB's job to get them playing in a style that suits their ability. Instead, he's put them in a style that hampers it. We all know that this team is not built to be a defensive powerhouse. So how hard can it be to find a happy medium? Or at least try by mixing line combo's up (and yes i mean more than just throwing Chimmer and Laich on the first line wings).

I guess for me the biggest problem i have is that i don't even see him making an effort to shake things up. Instead i just keep hearing that "We got some bad bounces" or "We out worked them but didn't get rewarded for it". Personally, It would be easier for me to deal with the down-slide this year if i heard someone step up and say "Sh*t is broken right now but we're gonna keep tweaking things until we find a solution".

And finally, last but not least, i think it's time for BB to PICK AN EFFIN GOALTENDER. Enough with the nonsense of switching back and forth. That doesn't work for team chemistry. Especially defensive chemistry. I mean if we don't have a #1 GT, go freaking get one. This is a team that needs consistency in all aspects. So why not start with that in goal?

Ok. Rant over.

Posted by: AlexTheLate | February 26, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

As both a big Caps and a big Kings fan, all I can say is WTF? and thanks!

Posted by: summitwalker | February 26, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Of the guys on waivers recently he seems to be better than the others. So I suppose this is our big trading deadline move? Ohh la la...sturm, put him down...championship! Ok, i'll go back to drinking heavily now. I'm officially depressed.

Posted by: jimc93 | February 26, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Question...did Coach B change the system, or was he told to change it?
He found coaching success with an offensive system. He was brought to the NHL because of his offensive system. He was an immediate success in the NHL because of his system. The Caps are no longer using his system.
Most of the players on the roster found success being offensive players. They were drafted because of their offensive talents. Anybody remember a Caps player being drafted because he was a great 'mucker'? or great 'in the corners'? or a great 'checker'? Most of the players have been playing Coach's offensive system since their days in Hershey. Most of them have never been asked to assume a defensive role. But now, they are no longer using their offensive talents. By being asked to play defense first, they've become tentative, and because defense is not natural to them, they're now thinking their way through. Bad move.
Yes, defense may win in the playoffs, BUT, do it by 'tweaking' your roster,and getting the players that can fit that role. We've got what was considered to be one of the greatest hockey players in modern time...a two-time league MVP..a natural goal-scorer, one of the greatest in his first 3 years! and now they're asking him to forego his offensive role and play defense first? Who's 'breaking out' when we get possession of the puck? Anybody from the point sneaking in on the PP?
Horrible, horrible management. The players have not bought in to this new system because that's not what got them multi-million dollar contracts...they've now become average, or below-average, players because they're not really good on defense, and they're no longer playing offense. The Coach was never a defensive coach, so he is now a below average coach.
And McPhee..? let's not even go there. Worst there is in the league. He has simply refused, or is obviously unable, to get the role players this team needs.
AS Caps baby says..I, too, love my Caps, since the days at the Caps Centre. But this is just too much bad management to stomach. I'd rather go back to the that first original 8-win season, when we had a bunch of nobodies, but they played their hearts out every single game.

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 26, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

There was some guy a while back who was an offensive player & some silly coach decided he needed to play 2-way hockey. When the guy realized that defense wins Cups, he became one of the best 2-way hockey players ever & his team won 3 Stanley Cups. I think Scotty Bowman & Steve Yzerman know a little bit more about how to win than BB & Ovie.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 26, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of this move - if it means there's more forward depth then great. Or it could (if all goes well) solve the 2C issue if this means Brooks Laich can handle that position.

As for waiving DJ King - I'm also a fan of that move. Nothing personal, but I think Erskine, Bradley and Hendricks make King redundant - so Sturm or Beagle (whichever you consider his replacement) is a better use of cap and roster space in my opinion.

Posted by: ajcb | February 27, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse