Video: Marcus Johansson rocks the white

Marcus Johansson received his Capitals jersey this morning from Coach Bruce Boudreau. He'll wear No. 90 and figures to compete for a job on the starting roster right away, according to GM George McPhee.

"He had a very good season in the Swedish elite league this year," McPhee said. "We think he's ready to compete for a full-time job with the Caps this coming season. He's an intelligent player who brings speed and competitiveness to the rink every night, and he's a good leader. He was the captain of the Swedish team at the World Junior Championships this year, so please say hello to Marcus."

With that, Johansson stepped to the microphone, put on his jersey and posed for pictures with McPhee, Boudreau and owner Ted Leonsis. Then Johansson spun around so photographers and cameramen could get shots of the back of his jersey before addressing the media.

More video: Caps owner Ted Leonsis and Nicklas Backstrom talk about the 22-year-old center's new contract.

By Gene Wang  |  May 17, 2010; 1:04 PM ET
 | Tags: Marcus Johansson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau: 'Nick's going to be a very big leader'
Next: Nicklas Backstrom: 'I wanted the long term'

Comments

Has anyone seen Johansson play? I know of him, but haven't heard much in terms of how he plays. Hopefully, we can see him in the preseason.

Posted by: timmyv38 | May 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Dick Patrick??

Posted by: Hatfield223 | May 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

He did pick it up this year but still a child among boyz @ the moment.

But, as per his WJC stats, he seems feisty - 29 PIM mins in 5 games but he was the WLC Swedish team captain for the tourney.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 17, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

8.5 is not going to let Marc90 take his spot on next years roster.

My money is on the mighty mite!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Johannson picked up 15 min in 1 play. It was a bad call against the US, turned the game around...(which I am happy about)...

8.5 has ZERO chance of making the roster. UNLESS we rid some of our dead weight (Fehr, Gordon, Walker, Br Morrison, Fleishman). Sorry guys...

We need a shutdown defenseman who knows how to win.

All year I said that, and I got TONS of complaints about Niedermeyer and even MORE complaints about Pronger from you KNOW IT ALLS...Last time I checked, Niedermeyer won GOLD, and Pronger is still playing in the playoffs!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | May 17, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Dick Patrick??

Posted by: Hatfield223 | May 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

didn't even know he was still the president of this team... does he have a lifetime contract or something?

or do they have to have a Patrick even though the division doesn't exist anymore?

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: butcherbaker | May 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps,
Cost was way too high for Pronger and it is a fluke year that they are where they are, not just Pronger. Niedermayer got gold, okay, so what. Sure, we could have used a big S@H defenseman. Every team could. Maybe we do consider going after Volchenkov in the offseason, but that price could get ridiculous, too.

Posted by: _Mark | May 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"If Johansson is ready and legit, he could be the 3rd line C next year. But I thought that's what they were trying to resign Belanger for?"

Don't be surprised if that guy bumps up to the #2 line at some point during the season.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Dick Patrick??

Posted by: Hatfield223 | May 17, 2010 1:21 PM

nice - i laughed at the thought that this is what you got out of the video

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 17, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

We need a shutdown defenseman who knows how to win.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | May 17, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

wow, fehr dead weight? guy had the highest average goals per 60 minutes of anyone. big rig with good touch around the net. sorry, not dead weight. neither is gordon, if you watched the playoffs.

walker and b mo are UFA's and probably wont be back. flash..certainly dead weight in the playoffs no doubt.

pronger is way overpaid and the fact that the flyers are in the conf finals has more to do with their unbelievable goaltending as it does because of pronger. if we had signed pronger to that deal, we dont have $ to sign backs and semin/2nd line center FA. think about that.

IMO, 2nd line center is more important than stay at home dman. depending upon what happens w/ shamo, we have three pretty solid d pairings. we are sorely missing a solid 2C. would be nice to add a defensive dman, but bigger need is at C.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps - Niedermeyer won gold in the same way that Crosby won gold - on the winning team, but overall not much of a factor (notwithstanding Crosby being at the right place at the right time for the winning goal). Pronger has played well lately, but overall had an up-and-down year I think you would have to say. Would the Caps still be playing if they had either of those guys? Only if they were playing wing and crashing the net consistently, IMO.

Posted by: zmega | May 17, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Jahansson could very well make the big club next season. He had 10 goals and 10 assists in 42 games. He is not being advertised as a Backstrom production type player. He is being advertised as a strong defensive minded center that is very strong in his zone. His contract that allows him to head back to Sweden if he chooses to would be better for him than playing in the AHL. If he makes the Caps squad he would of course stay put.

This is a very good breakdown of what experts think of him. It is dated last month which means his latest SEL season was taken into consideration. He was the Captain of the Swedish team at the World Junior Championships. He was kicked out of a game for boarding, which looked iffy at best, but ironic because he is not known as a dirty player at all.

Here's the link, enjoy.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd like see Fehr used in all situations and play about 18-20 minutes/game.

he's a big guy with speed and good hands... I see no reason why he can't be a good PKer.

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 -- I think Fehr is actually a little on the slow side, at least compared to the rest of the team.

Posted by: butcherbaker | May 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@ butcherbaker

I think he's still faster than Knuble who does kill penalties... no?

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

he's gonna be a selke winner

Posted by: gocaps01 | May 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, probably a little faster than Knuble. Fehr hasn't played much on the PK, so it would certainly be interesting to see him do more of it. Whether he'd be effective or not, I don't know.

Posted by: butcherbaker | May 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks fanhock for the info on Marcus. I knew I had read that he had a good year with SEL but nothing else. Liked GMGM's joke about needing Vikings on a team.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | May 17, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

If I remember right, Patrick is about 6'7"...between BB, Ted and Patrick they were going for 100 look...but GMGM lined them up wrong

Posted by: RichC3 | May 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

he's gonna be a selke winner

Posted by: gocaps01 | May 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you wanna find a future Selke winner type forward in the first round unless you're talking about players like J. Staal, Feds or M. Richards.

I'd rather find a good defensive forward the way Lou Lamoriello found John Madden... an undrafted FA.

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

Good info on Marc90.

It would be really nice if those skills translate to being an eventual solid 2nd line center next season.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Fehr is resigned and Flash is moved. I like both but the upside of Fehr is stronger. I think Flash brings something in return, maybe a 2nd line center prospect, and the team is then pretty set.

Posted by: saintex | May 17, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Fehr was only 8th in the NHL this year in goals per 60 minutes (minimum 20 goals).

1. Ovechkin .212
2. Stamkos .202
3. Selanne .192
4. Crosby .191
5. Semin .191
6. Gaborik .173
7. Marleau .169
8. Fehr .167
9. Knuble .166
10. Kovalchuk .163

Most of that production was from the third line, which makes Fehr arguably the most offensively valuable non-first-liner in the league other than Semin. He does seem a bit on the slow side to me as well though, if it matters.

Anyway, I think Fehr is over his injury issues, has very good hands, and as long as he isn't on the first line, should continue to be productive for at least a couple more years. I don't think anyone would argue that he has thus far turned out to be worthy of being the #18 pick in the first round in 2003, but, y'know, it's not like GMGM picked him in the first round for no reason. What GMGM saw in him is what everyone finally saw in him this year. I demand, SoaringCaps, that you withdraw Fehr from your list of dead weight players.

Fleischmann, at only #32 in the goals-per-60 rankings this year (again, minimum 20 goals), y'know, I guess it's a little weird to call him dead weight, but Caps seem to already have enough of what he does, although if we know Semin has to go, then maybe all of a sudden Fleischmann is more useful.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 17, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

he's gonna be a selke winner

Posted by: gocaps01 | May 17, 2010 2:34 PM

We could use a Swedish Michael Peca!

I'll take that.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Fehr was a +18 player this year, and that's actually 11th best in the NHL if you divide plus/minus by his minutes of ice time (minimum +10). Teammates Schultz, Carlson, Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom all beat him in that department, and I'm not saying you can take his #11 ranking and argue that he's an incredibly great defensive forward, but I think it means that he's clearly at least not a defensive liability overall. Fleischman was only +9, on a team full of double-digit + players, and just to my eyes it doesn't seem to me that he's that wonderful on the defensive side of things. He can go. Fehr must stay for at least about three more years.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 17, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: youaresquishy

I agree with this. Move Semin and keep Flash. Semin has much more value, and nets much more return. Flash then becomes more valueable to this team. I like a 3rd line of: Flash/Perrault/Fehr

I also think with the savings, and thru a trade, we can get a d, a 2nd center, and possibly a wing like Holmstrom or Bertuzzi to play on the second line.

Posted by: underpants2 | May 17, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

he's gonna be a selke winner

Posted by: gocaps01 | May 17, 2010 2:34 PM

We could use a Swedish Michael Peca!

I'll take that.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Peca is probably the best hitting little guy I ever saw... shortened his career because of it.

is Johansson really that type of a hitter?

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

he's gonna be a selke winner

Posted by: gocaps01 | May 17, 2010 2:34 PM

We could use a Swedish Michael Peca!

I'll take that.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

is Johansson really that type of a hitter?

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 3:06 PM

from HockeysFuture:

Johansson has impressive hockey sense, good technical skills and soft hands. He reads the play very well and is a skilled playmaker. Is also a speedy skater that does not shy away from the rough stuff, although he is not really a big time physical player. A team player with some leadership qualities. Has a shot he should use more often.

I can do without the heavy hitting. I think this guy has a history of injuries. I think I remember hearing that when we drafted him, although I haven't read that about him today.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that they gave him #90. The last, and only, Cap to wear that number was Joe Juneau. Does this mean they're expecting him to play a Juneau style game? Let's hope that Marcus scores the goal that puts us into the Stanley Cup Finals again, like Juneau did. Speaking of Juneau, there was an article in Sports Illustrated a few years ago that said he's teaching hockey to Inuits (what were formerly known as Eskimos in less politically correct days). Always a class act and all around good guy

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | May 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr i believe you have him confused with Gustafsson Jr.

Posted by: zcxnissan | May 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

I think he already had 2 concussions before he was drafted. At least 1, but I seem to remember 2

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | May 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr i believe you have him confused with Gustafsson Jr.

Posted by: zcxnissan

wtf_e_fehr has it right, because I definitely remember the concussion issues. I believe that was what made him fall to the Caps at #24 overall, otherwise he'd have gone higher

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | May 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

How is he in the faceoff circle?

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Best big hitter for a little Guy, Theo Fluery

Posted by: RichC3 | May 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

funniest part of the video is how awkward gabby's smile is haha

Posted by: mja712 | May 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who calls Fehr fast needs to take off the blinders and look a little closer. He has great hands and a big body - which would be more effective if he used it more, a la Knuble - but he looked downright slow against MTL at times, especially in his own zone.

Also, Johansson is not the one with concussion problems - that is Gustafsson, IIRC.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | May 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Best hitter for a little guy = Darius Kasparaitis.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | May 17, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Capitals selected Johansson with the 24th overall pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft. He has two years remaining in his contract in Sweden and both Johansson and Capitals GM George McPhee expect him to play at least one more season in Europe. He could develop into a top-six forward, but he's suffered a couple of concussions and may have been a bit of a stretch with the 24th pick. However, McPhee sees Johansson as a well-rounded player with similarities to Washington's 2008 first round pick, Anton Gustafsson.

Source: Washington Times

Posted by: mlody67 | May 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

First off, calling Fehr dead weight is insane.

Fehr would be a #1 or #2 RW on most teams in the league. I have posted many times that I feel he'll outperform Flash over the next ten years. We'll see.

We have: Ovi, Knuble, Semin, Flash, Fehr and Laich. That's six wingers capable of 1st or 2nd line NHL duty (and their stats back it up).

What does an NBA team do if they have three forwards but only one guard? They make a trade.

Forcing Fehr down to the 3rd line is bad IMO because he's worthy of #2 line duty and also, really, he's not a defensive specialist.

You don't win with three scoring lines, you win with two scoring lines, a top checking line and a grit line.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | May 17, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Marcus is not a Peca like hitter but could develop into one. He did well in this years SEL play off, recording 5 assists in 7 games. My friend is Farjestads phys coach and he's told me Marcus is easily one of the hardest working guys on the team. Also a very mature kid.

Posted by: jakopz | May 17, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 5 assists in 7 playoff games in the "Elitserien" - det ar riktigt bra [that's really good], for one of the top leagues in the world. And goals are pretty tough to come by in that league, as well; that's a very high level of hockey.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | May 17, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Most of you people absolutely AMAZE me. This continual praise for Eric Fehr is simply ridiculous! No, actually it's a prime example of how losers think. How those incapable of understanding WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN A CUP, think.
I'd trade the bum for a warm 6 pack. Bottom line is HE'S GUTLESS!! HE HAS NO SPINE!! HE'S A WIMP!! A nice, polite little BOY. Obviously, you people are either blind, or in a serious state of denial. Geezzzz!

Posted by: Puckguru | May 18, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@puckguru

Well played my friend,well played!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | May 19, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse