Capitals recall Marcus Johansson

By Lindsay Applebaum

The Caps have recalled center Marcus Johansson from the AHL's Hershey Bears after sending him down Nov. 6 for a conditioning stint.

Johansson, who suffered a hip-flexor injury Oct. 21 in Boston, saw game action with the Bears Sunday and Tuesday in Charlotte, finishing with three shots and a plus-1 rating.

The Caps are off today, but CSN's Corey Masisk reports that the rookie center and goalie Semyon Varlamov were working out this morning at Kettler Capitals Iceplex.

Washington hosts Steven Stamkos and the new-look Tampa Bay Lightning at 7 p.m. tomorrow.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | November 10, 2010; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  Marcus Johansson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Almost a Gordie Howe hat trick for Matt Hendricks
Next: Capitals assign Semyon Varlamov to Bears

Comments

Hey I saw game action with the caps last night and like this news I have no stats to show for the action either :)

Posted by: bqts | November 10, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Varly is still out a bit longer. Maybe another Holtby sighting tomorrow evening?

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Johansson is here because he refused to report to Hershey if he didn't make the final roster and was going to go back to Sweden.

But he is not ready to be a contributor on a Stanley Cup contender like the Caps, at least not right now.

He is probably a year and a half away from being deserving of a spot as the #2 or #3 center on this team.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 10, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

RoyHobbs4: You are completely wrong. Last year when MJ came here he stated if he did not make the squad that his plan was to play in the SEL. I wish I could find the interview, but this year he said he was staying in North America regardless of whether it was in Hershey or DC.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: I think you're memory if off on this one. MJ just signed his contract back in June, 2010 same time as Backie. There was a clause for this season that he could go back to SEL if not on Caps roster.

That should be in archives June, 2010 same day backie signing announced.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes, great analysis... he "refused to report to Hershey" yet somehow played two games for them, took three shots and had a plus 1 rating.

Posted by: GFisher1 | November 10, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

RoyHobbs4: You are correct sir, I apologize, he does have the option to go back to his SEL club. Thanks for pointing that out tominsocal. Here's a link to the story tom referred to:

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

GFisher: He was on a conditioning assignment - not the same as "being assigned." It's in his contract he can back to SEL if he would otherwise be assigned to AHL. Bottom line is he can't be assigned to AHL UNLESS he approves it.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Sure has been quiet around this board since ol' cstanton decided to go away. Makes days like this extremely boring when the Caps have no practice and there are few updates. This thread has been up for almost two hours and this is only the seventh post, just sad.:(

It's like people are actually working!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

Fanohock is right, MaJo was prepared to play over here. It didnt matter if it was in Hershey or DC. He's in DC because he's a talented kid that plays at BOTH ends of the ice. He will be in the lineup tomorrow night.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok, ninth post, things are picking up!

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

From the previous post:

I was at the game last night and have the following thoughts:

1) The ice was not all that bad. It wasn't perfect bad it never is at MSG.

2) When I saw Greenie dropping the gloves for the first fight of the game, I thought we were in for a night full of fights. I thought the next shift for King would have been a real donnybrook, but neither he nor Boogs came close to dropping the gloves.

3) Neuvy seemed to only feel comfortable when making the unexpected saves. I am not as concerned with how the goals went in as I was in how he looked. Throughout the game, he never seemed to be able to "feel" the puck. There were a few times when there was a shot from the point right into his pads and he looked behind him, like he couldn't "feel" the puck hit him. He did not seem confident. I do think he got a little ticked off with the Boogs goal and I told my friend that I bet he doesn't let in another one. I consider it a "battled for the win" type of win.

4) The new Green is awesome, end of story.

5) During warmups, OV, Green, Carlson and Semin stayed on the ice a full minute after the warm up buzzer went off practicing a set up with OV in front of the net tipping in shots. Look for that alignment in the future.

6) I agree with BB in that I never felt they were not going to come back.

7) Was anyone else surprised that we had 1 goal in 14 shots for the 1st period and 4 goals on 9 shots for the last two periods combined?

That is all.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe we went out for lunch to get some tasty pizza.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Varly has been sent down to Hershey.

@fanohock

that article has the facts wrong. GMGM came out during training camp and said that MaJo didn't even have that option and the previous reporting saying that he did was completely wrong.

Posted by: ThePat | November 10, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

Sure, just rub it in as I ate my leftovers from last nights dinner. That is almost as bad as Varly and Holtby sitting in the locker room laughing and pointing at Neuvy chanting "You got scored on by BOOGAAARD!"

Posted by: PhilR | November 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Dude, no doubt the guy is going to hear about that for the rest of his career.

Neuvy: "Man, that was a tough game for you, you got lit for 6 goals"
Goalie X: "Hey, remember that time you got scored on by the Boogie man"
(Neuvy hangs his head in same as he walks to the showers...everyone can hear the sounds of sniffling and crying coming from there soon after)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Gee--I wish I could rack up similar stats (and make similar money) for "refusing to report" to work!

On another (Knuble-rlated) note: Lucky--I guess--for Vitya that he went over to the KHL. He probably would not feel safe in the Caps locker room these days, heh-heh-heh...

...

...

...

Tom, surely you get it?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 10, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else read the NHL.com article on Green a few days ago? Maybe yesterday. Pretty much talks about what we've seen from him since the first game against Atlanta.

I think it's time to throw that offensive title out the window, and properly label him the two-way defender he really is.
________________________________________________
5. Alzner
6. Sloan

I will, however, contend that the only one who should not be in the NHL is Sloan. When Poti returns this team looks WAY better than last season on the back end, especially with the new and improved Mike Green.

Posted by: Aldred15

I went to the Flyers game this past Sunday, and man, did Alzner look bad the first half of the game. His game slowly got better as the game went on, but he made a few glaring mistakes. I don't think I need to comment on the big bluff he made last night, I'm sure you guys have already discussed it at length. :)

Posted by: richmondphil2 | November 10, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

same = shame...stupid computer

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 10, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

That was VERY funny! I'm still cleaning up the coffee I just spit out laughing at your comment.

Posted by: AADCDERM | November 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

New thread: Varly to Da Bearsss...

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 10, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Rhino: Kozzie.

ThePat: My bad. I never saw the GM quotes contradicting the earlier story that MJ had to give permission for Hershey assignment. Come to think of it, that might be against CBA.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 10, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Well, I certainly got it -- on Vitya, our former goat.

Yep, Kozlov means "goat" in Russian.

Guess we could say that for the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Caps, the sheep and the goat were together on the first line. Except unlike the old Biblical quote, the sheep was on the left and the goat on the right. Backstrom (and occasionally Fedorov) had the job of centering the sheep and the goat.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 10, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse