Caps assign Marcus Johansson to Hershey

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals announced this afternoon that they have assigned rookie center Marcus Johansson to Hershey. Johansson has recovered from a hip flexor injury that he suffered back on Oct. 21 in Boston, but with the Capitals playing well and winning three straight it has been hard to find a place to fit the 20-year-old Swede back in the lineup.

When asked whether the team would try to get Johansson a game with the Bears Coach Bruce Boudreau said the team was considering it.

Johansson, who said he has not sat out for a stretch such as this one at any point previously in his career, will join Hershey for its game in Charlotte on Sunday.

By Katie Carrera  | November 6, 2010; 5:38 PM ET
Categories:  Marcus Johansson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps hope skill is enough against physical Flyers
Next: Statistical analysis: Should Alexander Semin stay on the top line?

Comments

100% authentic Caps Winter Classic jerseys from $150

philliparmy@gmail.com

Posted by: philarmy | November 6, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of authentic Caps wear, sometimes I'm reminded how I haven't yet found everything from my move Long Island to Baltimore in 1984, or the move then to Florida in 1995, much less this year's move to CA.

So my one daughter starts whining that's it's cold, and I go into the downstairs closet to get her a jacket, and there it is hanging on the rack!

The Caps switched from the original jersey to the Eagle jersey with an unveiling at Cap Centre (I went) in July, 1995. I start working in FL late 95 and go home for Christmas, Caps are wearing new eagle jerseys, I had bought a Dale Hunter, and for Xmas my mother, who always buys presents three years in advance, gives me a Caps Starter parka with the original logo. My instant thoughts:

1) I'm living in Florida.
2) That logo is obsolete.

"Thanks, Ma."

Obviously all these years in FL it was never worn. But now I find it and it looks just like Winter Classic retro stuff they are hawking in the mail order catalogues! And it's brand new!

I can wear this around LA now and I'm like so with it!

Lindsay Lohan: "Oh my God! Look at that guy! OK, he's like, old, but like, he's kinda cute, and like, isn't that like a Winter Classic parka?"

Me: "Hey, Lindsay."

Lindsay: "Oh my God, he like talked to me! Hey, old guy, will you take like five thousand for that Winter Classic parka?"

Me: "Yes."

So, there you have it, if not for Caps game on at 2 pm PST tomorrow, I'd wear the parka down there on Rodeo Drive in Hollyweird and I don't know what I'd get but it would be something.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 6, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, more good news! My youngest daughter has been dating a nice young man who plays hockey in one of these leagues that has games 8, 9, 10 at night in the Van Nuys area. His uncle won 4 VIP tix to Kings tonight on the radio and didn't want to go. So, my daughter just got picked up by boyfriend's parents (hadn't met them before) and BF to head down to LA for game!

I asked if she wanted to borrow my just-found Caps retro parka and she stared at me like I was wearing an "I Love Cindy" Pens jersey! (I guess that means "No").

Anyway, Kings look to be a pretty good team and I'n guessing they are very happy Kovalchuk went elsewhere (I would be, never liked him).

On another subject, headline of the day:

"Ducks Survive Crosby's Pair"

Now, I don't know for sure what Crosby does when he goes to a duck pond, but I find this kind of headline disgusting. Cindy really needs to work on his image.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 6, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the Caps pulled it out last night. I'm glad Holtby got his first win. However I thought BB pulling Neuvirth was uncalled for. The kid has played incredible all season. He was not to blame for all 3 of those Bruins goals. The switch worked out for BB but I thought it was disrespectful to Neuvirth.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 6, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy and the rest of the Pens are down 2-0 to the Coyotes after the 1st period. Their streak is continuing...

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 6, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@boomer

I know that I'm no Dale Humter, no body is.
I just wish that these talented under
achievers
like Fehr, Chimy, Flush, Stecks, Green, Semin had half of Dale's heart for the game. If they did, we could win multple cUps.

Didn't see replay, but if Fehr add Chimera screened Carlson's shot, let's see that in the play offs at times that are not just typical Caps "desperation hockey time".

"OOPPs
were going golfing early again. Let's start hustling and crashing the crease these last 15 minutes."

Let's not forget that Dale got us to the finals with his grit. This group really looks like "all hat and no cattle" to the rest of the league.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 6, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Agreed. I'd go even further and call it bush league, actually.

I've read that Neuvy looked "crushed" on the bench - hopefully he forgets about it and moves on - but way to show confidence and belief in the league's rookie of the month there, coach.

Posted by: govtimbo | November 6, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Man, I'd much rather see MJ on the 4th - if that's where he's going to play - than Steckel. Steckel is a known quantity, you know exactly what you're going to get - and said 'getting' does include a Cup.

Posted by: govtimbo | November 6, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

disrespectful to Neuvy? 3 goals on 5 shots in 7 minutes. A change was called for. It was a gutsy call; it worked. If Neuvy's crushed he's going to have to man up.

Tim Thomas was pulled after 3 also, and he came into the game with an incredible 7-0 record and 5 goals against. .72 GAA! They needed a change and it worked.

I'm sorry, there are probably legitimate criticisms to be made of BB, but you all are reaching, seriously. This is getting out of hand.

Posted by: Justafan | November 6, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

BB knows as much about goalies as richmondphil who said last month that Sergei Bobrovsky was NOT an NHL goalie.

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@govtimbo

I just don't get what it is with BB and these Hershey guys that really don't belong on a team working toward a cUp. Stecks stays, but MJ goes down. HUH ??????????

Flush belongs in the west, and Stecks belongs in Hershey as a guy who is called up rarely in dire situations.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 6, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, our best prospect is in Swift Current. Sit Stecks in Hershey until he decides to grow a backbone. At least Eakin would have shouved his stick down Buf's throat after the Neuvy hit !!!!!!!!!!!
Bring up Eakin. He's the future. He can't look any worse than Backy did his first 2 months here.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 6, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Not at all happy to hear that MarJo has been sent down. So theyve won 3 in a row (and squandered back to back 3 goal leads at home).... Whoopdee doo! Hardly a reason to be thrilled with the current lineup. MarJo was playing his best hockey when he got hurt... way to reward the kid by giving his job to Gordon and Steckel.

Wasn't happy with the quick hook on Neuvy either (esp when you're putting a rookie in for his NHL debut in a tie game with 10 min left). For a moment I thought Mike Shanahan was coaching this team (but of course, at least Shanny has won championships at the highest level).

Posted by: chombie13 | November 6, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

I had read that Neuvy himself was looking to the bench after he had let in the three goals. So, Neuvy himself was ready to come out anyhow.

I'm sure he'll be fine in the long run.

Still, it points out that there's no point to overusing him this early in the season. Neuvy's a pretty good work horse, that is true, but it seemed like he was in goal more than I would recommend.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 7, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

glad to se majo going to hershey.he could use the experiance a lil more.yea hes been doin fine but for one,a lil time in the ahl couldnt hurt at all and also theres no reason to sit the kid thats suppose to be our second line center one day.give him some more exp down in hershey and see how hes feelin and if still doin really good down there then bring him back up.just sayn the move doesnt hurt nothin and actually could be good for him.

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 7, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

It would have been nice to see Neuvy pick up another win but, like BB said, Neuvy really didn't look too good on either of the last two, and the move worked out. Tough to do much on basically a 2 on 0 but he kindof got caught in between playing the pass and the shooter on the Thornton goal.

Also, did anyone else catch the NESN feed of the game? Milbury was extra harsh on OV...he ripped him as being lazy, selfish, and a player that only works for himself during the 2nd intermission. Thats pretty much verbatim.

Posted by: c_majors | November 7, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

The grass is always greener, isn't it? Marcus has shown flashes of strong play, but he's still a player in development who has not been a standout for the Caps this season. He's also hurt. We also need to manage our cap.

Posted by: Justafan | November 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse