Posted at 10:53 AM ET, 01/31/2011

Capitals recall Mathieu Perreault

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals have recalled center Mathieu Perreault, who was assigned to Hershey for the NHL's all-star break. Perreault has eight points (five goals) in 24 games in Washington this season.

Washington returns to the ice following the all-star break for practice at 5 p.m. at KCI.

By Katie Carrera  | January 31, 2011; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  Mathieu Perreault
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ask the Caps: Jason Chimera answers your questions
Next: Line change: Can the Caps get their swag back?

Comments

so beagle stayed in hershey?

Posted by: _stevo | January 31, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@Stevo

of course he did. Why would we do the logical thing and recall the guy better suited to play 3C? MP should have stayed in Hershey.

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

The Caps need a center. I know Beagle has played center but he is clearly better suited for the wing in the NHL.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 31, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

yeah but we already have 4 centers...backstrom, Majo, gordon, steckel (laich/hendricks if needed)

Posted by: _stevo | January 31, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

If anything MP is better suited for a wing. Beagle can handle himself fine at C on the 3rd or 4th line, where they are looking for energy and defensive responsibility.

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

The same could be said for MP.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 31, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I know MP is recalled in the hope he plays well enough that someone will trade for him. However at this point Id rather be playing the lineup that gives us the best chance to win every night.

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I've never seen of or heard of a team who brings up a player from the minors like MP just to showcase him for other teams. Seriously. I've never run across that. This isn't like trying to showcase Souray who is a vet, who some team may be trying to dump for salary concerns etc. You don't being up a marginal NHL player with limited NHL experience just to try and get a mid round draft pick out of it. Its too costly for your own team to take that risk

I have to believe the Caps think that MP is their best option at Hershey to fill that 2nd or 3rd line center spot.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I disagree. There's no point arguing about it. I know your stance on MP and they are well founded, but I was just giving the other thought process in calling up MP.

With the Caps desperate need for scoring and some creativity I would rather have MP at 2nd line center(especially if Semin is back) and MJ at #3 then MJ at #2 and Beagle at #3. I know you think differently, so we will agree to disagree on this.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 31, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton

I agree with you that most teams dont do that. But if teams are inquiring about a player, teams do it. And a team that is also lost and has no clue where else to turn will do it as well.

And I also wouldnt have a problem with Gordo and Steckel playing C on the bottom two lines. Beagle brings much more than MP. Beagle is one of our best PKers. MP barely even plays on special teams anymore.

The only thing MP has on Beagle is more natural skill. But we all know just bc you have skill it doesnt mean you are a good hockey player.

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:39 AM

i agree with this. kinda makes you wonder what gmgm/bb are thinking. if they are looking to jumpstart the offense - i don't think MP will do that. i believe snoopy gives them a better chance at winning than MP.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 31, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"I like it - lots of offense with no defense," said Ovechkin

--------------------

Upon hearing this, Bruce hit the ground and wept with joy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I know theres no point in arguing about it but the dude has had the chance to be 2C and he FAILED

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

sgm,

You are aware that MP has three assists in 24 games, right? He has shown that he isn't cut out for 2C duties. And honestly hasn't shown that he can handle the defensive responsibilities of 3C.

cstanton,

Agree with you on Beags playing winger to Stecks or Boyd. Gives the strongest line up.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 31, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Beagle needs to be in the lineup. You're better off having Beags at wing and going with Gordo and Steck at center for the 3rd and 4th lines."

This is what I thought they were going to do. I think thowing BGordon as 3rd line center would be fine.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 31, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Upon hearing this, Bruce hit the ground and wept with joy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:46 AM

cut it out - people here at work look at me funny when i start laughing for no apparent reason.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 31, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Time to start playing like professionals...get your game, lines, personnal in order so we can get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 31, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Upon hearing this, Bruce hit the ground and wept with joy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:46 AM

He'd make an excellent All-Star game coach and McPhee could probably build a solid AS game roster where being soft as a baby's ass is a non-issue.

Posted by: tmac2yao | January 31, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I feel good about the way I presented myself today. I will now take leave for the rest of the day. Exiting on a high note.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 31, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Today's SAT test style analogy:

Mathieu Perreault is to the Capitals as Crack Cocaine is to the New Jack City Character Pookie.

Posted by: LesGrossman | January 31, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"you realize MP was playing with Semin the month of December and the offense still stunk, right? And Semin didn't score a goal. "

@ThePat

I do realize this and really hope the Caps acquire a center to address this. Unfortunately having MP as one of the Caps centers right now may be the best option until the Caps acquire another center.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 31, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If anyone can get off from work, Montreal is practicing at Kettler today at 3 or 3:30 before the Caps practice.

Posted by: ThePat | January 31, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

MP is not that good. He will never be strong enough. I do not know why people think he is good. He plays hard a couple of games and then fizzles. He is weak. Give me a break. Oh and do not compare him to Marty St Louie. Louie is about four times wider and three times as strong. That is afterall his hero. I also do not like his arrogance as well. he looks like somebody I would dislike if I met him. I am the anti MP. get rid of him.

Posted by: pkme | January 31, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Lets trade MP for Nash (LOL). Seems completely reasonable. Or maybe Shea Weber. Heck I will even throw in Laich, Fehr and both Gordons. Oh and for those who do not understand context I do not think you could get a bag of pucks for MP.

Posted by: pkme | January 31, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Trade Semin, Laich and Fehr for Nash and Hejda

Posted by: pkme | January 31, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Hejda is a very good defensive defenseman, who actually plays defense. But I don't think Laich and/or Fehr bring back in a trade, what we think they would. GMGM overvalues his high picks.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 31, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

just get 8 28 and 19 scoring goals again, please

Posted by: johleger | January 31, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are the most overrated team with the easist coach. Here is a list of the easist coaches to win a championship:

Do you want to see the list again?
Teams take the personality of the coach. Our coach is soft & doesn't like playing a system. Our team is the same.
A hard-nosed coach will tend to produce a hard-nosed style team.
GMGM shouldn't trade MP for a bag of used pucks. He should hold out for a bag of NEW pucks. Now that is a fair trade.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 31, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

In the new NHL you need skills. This kid rock. nuff' said!

Posted by: Presbyter | January 31, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the hate for Perreault. I particularly don't understand this: "I also do not like his arrogance as well. he looks like somebody I would dislike if I met him. I am the anti MP. get rid of him." Based on what? I met MP at the Caps Convention and he was very gracious, unlike some superstars who were obviously bored with having to sign autographs and didn't even look up. If you don't have a life, try to conceal your jealousy of people who do.

Posted by: pirate1 | January 31, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the hate for Perreault.
-----------

I don't hate him at all, he seems like a really good guy, and I can sympathize that this is a huge moment in his life, certainly his professional career. A buddy who played at UVM worked out with St. Louis one summer, and was blown away at his dedication and motivation; these guys work their tails off.

As a fan of the Caps though, I am not convinced MP is a legit #2 center, not at this point in his career anyway [I don't see him as a classic 3rd-line center, IMO he needs to be on a scoring line].

But, he does seem to have some chemistry with Semin, whose absence has been felt in a # of areas [our PP, no 2nd line scoring which has hurt Ovie and Backs due to heavier opposition focus, and overall scoring, not to mention our only PKer who puts the slightest bit of worry in the PP point-men].

Bottom line: I am hopeful, but remain pessimistic, about MP being the answer at 2C, if the Caps are to have a prolonged SC-run this spring.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | February 1, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse