Posted at 12:25 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Mathieu Perreault hopes to make an impact in latest stint with Caps

By Katie Carrera

Although he is not new to being a regular call-up from the American Hockey League, Mathieu Perreault is still looking to prove himself with every stint in Washington, and this latest assignment is no exception.

Perreault, who played three games in late October when Marcus Johansson was out with a hip flexor injury and recorded a pair of assists during that time, is hoping to make a more lasting impression this time around. He has eight goals and 17 assists in 18 games with the Hershey Bears this season.

"Just trying to create things on the ice and try to help my linemates and try to score, make plays and work hard," said Perreault when asked how he approaches this call-up. "Obviously, you want to do good, but every time I start playing I just think, 'If I go on and we don't get a goal...' this is when I start to not play good. So I've just got to not think and play."

Perreault spent 18 games in Washington from November to early December of the 2009-10 season. He started out well, posting six points in his first eight games, but tallied only one in his final 10 outings before being returned to Hershey.

So what does Coach Bruce Boudreau want out of the 22-year-old center?

"One is consistency, two is energy and three is being a good pro," Boudreau said. "We know he's capable of playing and in the past, sometimes it's just been a numbers game. Sometimes you play great one game and less than great the next game. You know my theory on if you're an NHL player; eight out of 10 games have got to be your absolute best."

Boudreau said he didn't know how long Perreault would remain in Washington on this particular call-up assignment, but the speedy forward will have an opportunity to try his hand in the second-line center spot, where the Capitals have auditioned numerous candidates throughout the season. In recent games, Brooks Laich and rookie Marcus Johansson have rotated duties in the middle of the second line.

"We thought we're struggling a little bit in that No. 2 hole at center, [we have] used a lot of different guys and this is his opportunity to take it," Boudreau said. "I don't know how many games he'll get, but he's getting at least one."

By Katie Carrera  | December 6, 2010; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Mathieu Perreault, Toronto Maple Leafs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals to place undisclosed player on injured reserve
Next: Video: Caps' Brooks Laich still loves his job

Comments

I'll put $2 on Boyd Gordon being out of the lineup.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 6, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping MP8.5 can stick up and force GMGM to move another player... really rooting for the kid!

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 6, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Ok, here's my bet...

Varly
Gordon, B
Poti
King

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 6, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

carried over from previous thread:

"I wasn't bashing your numbers...only offering an opinion. My only reall issue is the lack of cap space your #s leave us. I think it is very dangerous to have less that a mil.

Posted by: capscoach"
----
It's all good. Tone is hard to determine on forums and blogs and such. I was just explaining my reasoning for the numbers. No offense was taken! :-)

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 6, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To me, the only reason to withold the IR name is if it is a player that the other team schemes against. Putting Poti, Gordon, Erskine or another 3-4 liner on IR would not change a game plan. After a few seasons of the 'games' from BB and GM, it is probably Sloan going on IR-big game changer there.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 6, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

Take a look at who leads the AHL in goals, its not MP but one of the guys I listed that is willing and able to go to the net and "pay the price."

As far as it being a good sign that BB recognized they needed net presence......he has to demand net presence, not just complain that he isn't getting it. Sit some players out if they won't do it, shorten your bench, etc.

Posted by: PhilR

These things don't happen overnight. Teams have good games and bad games...Atl from what I have heard was a pretty lousy one. Whats important is did we learn from that game...we will see tonight.

Who do you bench when NO ONE went to the net anyway? Laich of Knuble since thats their job? But when the whole team plays poorly you don't bench one player...you hold an extra practice and consequence the team...which BB did.

@vermontcaps

sorry??? can you clarify what prompted you to say that as I am not sure which comment you refer to. Also...I come onto this site not only to express my opinion and discuss, but LEARN other opinions and expand my hockey knowledge. So while it is all funny to make fun of someone for disagreeing with you, why don't you act like a grown up and argue your point instead of being rude and maybe I'll even change my mind and agree with you.

Posted by: capscoach | December 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

On the Atlanta game and the Caps stunk in two areas: going to the net/screening the goalie, and the PP was awful. I thought the rest of the game they played pretty good. We need to face the facts, Atlanta is a pretty darn good hockey team.

If BB believes what he saying and people not paying the price by going to the net, do exactly what PhilR says and call up Andrew Gordon. He will go to the net and get dirty goals. They called up MP 85 and BB says he has to learn to be a "good pro." That is curious but not surprising to me as from what I have heard and seen he is very immature.

Posted by: ThePat | December 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@thepat

The caps do go to the net when they are playing like they are supposed to. I have not seen a lot of games this season where that was the problem so why oanic and call up A-Gordon? Scoring has been an issue on and off this season, so bring in MP and give MaJo a little incenctinve to play better! P

Posted by: capscoach | December 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Is it time to bring in Iron Mike Keenen to get this team playing up to its full potential?

Posted by: MReilly9 | December 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The great AGordon does not play center.

There is not an open position at wing for him to play. Hence why MP was called up.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Because BB just said the problem is no one is attacking the net. To me it has been an issue for probably half the games this season.

I am not a fan of MP and him being called up wont do anything to MaJo. MaJo has been playing well, he is not a 2C, he is a 3C. Has some offensive talent, but is defensively responsible. MP being called up has nothing to do with him. He will last his typical 8 games up before hes sent back down and im not saying that to be pessimistic, im saying that to bring a dose of reality to those that are super high on the kid.

Posted by: ThePat | December 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"One is consistency, two is energy and three is being a good pro,"

Then how is Fehr still on the roster?

Posted by: spacecadetkid | December 6, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I think we should all sit back, enjoy the ride and let George and Bruce (and Hadeed) do their jobs.

None of us on this board are going to be able to do a better job than these guys.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 6, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I agree about MP, though I do think his initial energy could help get players scoring more...

And if MaJo isn't at least being considered to 2nd line C...then who? Laich?

I disagree that net presence has been a big issue this season...BB said net presence was an issue for THAT GAME. We have had a lot more gritty goals this season compared to last (esp. on the 3rd and 4th lines)

One bad perimeter game does not constitute a crisis...though I recognize that we disagree on whether net prescence has been a regular issue.

Posted by: capscoach | December 6, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3
we know he doesnt play Center, the point is BB said the other problem is a current issue for the team. That is why people are saying Gordon fits that mold.

Posted by: ThePat | December 6, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps

wait...aren't you a goats blood drinker?

Posted by: capscoach | December 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

net presence from the bottom 2 lines hasnt been an issue. Laich and Knuble have not been getting it done and those are our main two scoring lines and where the issue is. Those two lines generate the majority of the shots/chances and with no net presence from them it makes it difficult.

The 2C isnt on the team. MaJo and MP are place holders till the deadline. Those two, and Brooks will just alternate along until they can get one closer to the deadline.

Posted by: ThePat | December 6, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SoaringCaps | December 6, 2010 1:06 PM

so true - you're asking almost everyone to give up their hobby. i, for one, will not be holding my breath :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: capscoach | December 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Both Semin and OV have been battling small injuries. Have you seen OV shaking his hand a lot? Would not be surprised if it is a biggie like one of them. MP moves up and Laich goes back to wing.

Just saving the players for the Winter Classic. Can't have the Winter Classic without OV or Semin playing.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey sgm3,

How do we know what position needs to be filled? The person going on IR hasn't been announced as of yet. And there are 5 players on the current roster that can play center with four lines to go around, where is that slot for MP??!!

Posted by: PhilR | December 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Just throwing this out there. People have been saying Green, Ovi, and Semin are going on IR.

Last I checked, none of them played center.

Can MP85 play wing as well? Just asking.

Posted by: jwash4472 | December 6, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I do think OVI has been injured. Despite this he plays. Maybe Backs.

Posted by: pkme | December 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse