Matt Bradley, Shaone Morrisonn comment on steroids investigation

Update: Caps owner Ted Leonsis just posted a long blog entry with his thoughts about the investigation and the players' names being leaked to the media, adding that he hopes "yesterday's surprise questioning has put an end to future rumormongering and the desire to grab headlines." Read it here.

Here's Matt Bradley on his interview with investigators after Douglas Owen Nagel, a chiropractor with ties to the Caps, was arrested on steroids charges (video below, abbreviated transcript follows):

On his visits with the doctor: "I have a bad back sometimes and it kind of comes and goes, so I might see him three times one month and then not see him again for six months, so I don't know exact numbers, but I've been to him at least a dozen times. ... I think I might have seen him once this year."

On any knowledge of Nagel's purchase of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs: He was a good guy, and like I said, I went in there for quick adjustments -- I was in there probably five, 10 minutes at a time. ... There was not much personal talk. ...

They were just basically asking us for information about what we knew, more about what our relationship was with him and not so much about him because, like I said, none of us know him personally. We've been there for treatment and that's it, that's as far as it goes."

And here are defenseman Shaone Morrisonn's comments:

On what the investigators asked: Just if we'd seen Dr. Nagel for treatment, and if he tried to give us anything, offer us any substances, and that was basically it. [The interview] was like five minutes. I haven't seen him since 2008, so I didn't have that much to say to them. ... I saw him for maybe two hours in the last five years."

On dealing with the distraction: "We have nothing to hide here, we're all tested throughout the year, the NHL has a testing policy and it's not an issue for this team. We're focused on the game tonight."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 24, 2010; 12:23 PM ET
 | Tags: Matt Bradley, Shaone Morrisonn
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Fehr: 'I don't think it was the players that were really targeted'
Next: Sidney Crosby: 'I never will' compare myself to Alex Ovechkin

Comments

Go Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Malkin's status for tonight? I hope he's out. It would be nice to play the pens without their best player in the lineup.

Posted by: griz0615 | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

This was all planted by Pittsburgh to dry and destract us from our game.

Little do they know, this game doesnt really matter to us...but we will beat them anyway.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

He didn't practice this morning, I know that much. Don't know if he's playing.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Pens need this game a lot more than we do. I just hope no one gets hurt. Practice or in a game!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I wonder how Juice is doing?

Oops, can't say Juice any more. Gotta come up with a new nickname - maybe YERCH or CHEENA or YOOSE.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 24, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

or MEALS

Posted by: WhyGo | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

JOOSE.

Than it is just a cheap, malt beverage mix sold in copious amounts here in the fare city of Richmond, and not a steroid.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope Malkin plays. I want the Caps to get some experience with how Malkin plays with Ponikarovsky.

In addition, it is much pleasing if the Caps beat the Pens when they have all of their players. When a star player is missing it does lessen the win some. Unless it is in the playoffs. Then I don't care who is playing for them.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, rather than hearing "we're all tested throughout the year, the NHL has a testing policy", I'd much rather hear "We had no knowledge of Nagel's dealings in PEDs. He never offered them to us. We have never taken any PEDs."

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay and Tarik, you guys rock! Thanks so much for the steady stream of information today--it's helping the time till puck drop tonight go a little faster for me. I've been convinced since this steroids story broke last year that the Caps angle was a red herring, but it's reassuring that the Caps players and organization have been so forthcoming so quickly.

As for tonight, get well soon, Brooksie; welcome back to the lineup, Q; and LET'S GO, CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | March 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

fare...fair....fehr...

whatever.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that of all the players on the Caps, and I love them all, I trust Brads - no question. I don't know why because I don't know him but he seems like someone who knows what's what around the lockerroom and on the ice. If he says everything is cool, everything it cool.

Note to Caps staff: if you are going to send players to off-site folks, and it clearly appears to be the case here, then you must do due diligence on background and whatnot. If this guy had any sanctions against him or any sort, don't use him. I have the World's best chiro is you need one.

Thanks.

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 12:40 PM |

This whole statement is implied by "we have nothing to hide here.."

So...there ya go. Calm down.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 24, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm calm dude. Sometimes it's more about what isn't said than what is. I'm hoping that's not the case here.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'...

if they used it, hope they were smart enough to cover their track

Posted by: joek443 | March 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The Pens fans all think that Ovie is juiced on testosterone and the Caps fans are convinced that Cindy is using Estrogen therapy.

Only one of us is correct and tonight we find out whom...

Posted by: WhyGo | March 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that BALL-SLAPPING is a side effect of long term estrogen abuse.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with OMunchkin. Morrisonn's comments left me uneasy. Not with what he said but with what he didn't. It sounds like the answer given all the time in all sports leagues "we test for it and I tested clean so therefore nothing happened." The logic is skewed.

I would have preferred a straightforward statement about his dealings with Nagel, like Bradley and Fehr gave.

I'm not saying it means he is guilty of anything but comments like that just lead to more suspiciion, IMO.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 24, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to the videos. I hadn't before because I thought Lindsay had transcribed the whole interview but that was not the case. ShaMo did answer "No" when TEB asked him if he had been offered steroids by doctor Nagel so that's good.

Do the Caps have a team chiropractor and if so, why would they send their players to someone else?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

what's with Steckel licking his hand at 1:35 in the first video?... pretty funny.

Posted by: OV_MVP | March 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

you serious?
those comments are as straightforward as you can get. geezus.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Munchkin: It sounds like this guy WAS the team chiropractor. Are you asking if they have a full-time chiropractor? Surely not, they don't have need of one. The team has, what, a full-time trainer and maybe an assistant? Every other medical need is pay by the drink. There's a team dentist, a team doctor, a team orthopedic, etc, but none of them I bet are full-time. OTOH, maybe they have several chiropractors they use and it depends where the players live, which one they are sent to.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqR17KrLKw Still kills me to watch this video. What a dork.
Posted by: WhyGo | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM

@WhyGo: Yeah, that was cool. I'd have to rank this sequence from the recent PIT/NYR tilt a close second:

Crashing the Ranger net, Crosby takes a light bump from Staal (whose arms were nearly at full extension from Crosby as the latter was moving away when contact was made). Crosby then immediately acts like he's been shot with a high-powered sniper rifle, falling just short of the end boards behind and to the right of Rangers' goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
He stands back up after the whistle, hoping for the mandatory penalty under NHL rule 87.7.1(double-minor for an opposing player being within 10 feet when Crosby falls).

At that moment, Lundqvist goes over to him and (probably) tells him to man-up and quit diving (or something to that effect).

Sid-the-Id immediately goes berserk, throwing a vicious high crosscheck at Lundqvist and is promptly swarmed by 2 or 3 facewashing Rangers.

LMAO.

What a dork, indeed.

Yes, looking at Crosby versus, say, Sean Avery: Avery is probably the bigger @$$hat of the two.

Thing is, being a world-class DB is what everyone expects from Avery; it's how he has "branded" himself.

Ø Crosby, on the other hand, was supposed to be the squeaky-clean, anointed Golden Child and Savior of the NHL Ø

Yeah, right

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

OK, I just read Ted's blog. He was not the team chiropractor. Maybe they don't have one. They don't have a team heart surgeon and they don't have a ears, nose & throat doctor either I'd think. A player needs a chiropractor, they probably use one in the insurance plan with an office location near the player's home.

BUT, if a chiropractor is pushing PEDs, and he doesn't offer them to sports figures, who is he selling them to? That woman on the cell phone in the minivan?

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@Aleksander: I don't think the Caps organization sent its players to this guy. He is not affiliated with the Caps, nor is he their "official" team Chiro. He has an office in the building and it was probably more convenient for players to go to him versus another doc in another location.

Posted by: AmyS1 | March 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 1:15 PM

No, Tom: he's selling to Politicians, Lobbyists and Lawyers:

BTW, these guys (Bowser & Blue)are great; they're kind of like the Canadian version of the Smothers Brothers...enjoy!

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Rhino: I'll have to check it out later at home.

My parents always watched Smothers Brothers and we had the record. They were hilarious.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - I'll bet we use the same guy, then, because *I* have the world's best chiropractor! ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | March 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

AmyS1,
Greg Smith, the team's trainer, referred all three players to this guy. I think the full article mentions that Smitty referred quite a few others to Nagel.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I know for a fact that Semin has been taking sex change drugs by the way he fights!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Nah, he's just been taking lessons from Talbot.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 24, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907

Oh, Shyaddap!

...only a matter of time before the trolls came out for this one...@$$#@+

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

From Twitter a few minutes ago:

"NHL Network has an hour-long pregame show tonight at 6 p.m., followed by the Caps-Pens game"

Sure beats Redskins Report on CSN. :-)

Posted by: wocoliz | March 24, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

What else can this team do to disgrace the N.H.L

Where there is smoke you can bet there is fire.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW, live chat during the game with Gene Wang. Thanks, WP!

Posted by: wocoliz | March 24, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR, do not! I do! Oh, wait, maybe it is the same guy? Out on 28?

Posted by: saintex | March 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907:
Crosby (a.k.a. "Sid the Id") is the one who's a disgrace to the NHL.

Everyone expects Sean Avery to have a foul temper and take cheap shots at people because that's his "brand", so to speak.

Crosby, on the other hand, was supposed to be the Second Coming of Gretzky--the Anointed Saviour of Hockey in Canada, and the leagues's last, best hope against the Russian Menace (ROFLMAO). At least, the league has been doing all it can to sell him to us as such.

Yet, somehow (to put it mildly), he is not.

Go back to your PennsylTucky gulag!

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2010 1:55 PM

I haven't sent anyone to the Doofus Brigade for at least a month.

That streak has just ended, Lieutenant StanleyCup1907. Your platoon awaits. Get your rifle and boots and affix those officer's bars! You're in the army now! You are assigned to the 2nd Battalion - the Trolls!

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

You guys telling me StanleyCup1907 is still alive? Thought he choked on his vomit already. Bummer.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hello there Lefty! long time no read--wanna go on a troll hunt?

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, Rhino, there's a troll a few posts up and he's an officer! Bag him!

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 24, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1:

Already (somewhat) ahead of you; see my post stamped 14:10 EDT.

^

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 24, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm so angry right now, I feel like punching StanleyCup1907 in the nuts.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Is Mark McGwire playing on OV's line.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 24, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse