Posted at 1:51 PM ET, 01/24/2011

Matt Bradley: 'I feel like I'm ready to play sooner than later'

By Katie Carrera

Matt Bradley skated with the rest of the Capitals for the first time since breaking his finger Dec. 21 against the New Jersey Devils, and although Coach Bruce Boudreau said he didn't expect the fan favorite back in the lineup prior to the All Star break, the veteran right wing hopes to return sooner rather than later.

Doctors have removed the two pins that were inserted into his broken middle finger and Bradley, who has missed 13 games because of the injury, said he has no concerns about dexterity or being able to grip his stick correctly even though his finger doesn't bend fully at the top knuckle.

"It moves fine. It's not like I was blessed with really sweet hands anyway," said Bradley, who added that he's not worried about his conditioning level. "I've been working really hard with Mark Nemish, and I feel like I'm ready to play sooner than later. I have no excuses to be out of shape. I've worked hard since I've been injured so that shouldn't be a problem."

Bradley will travel with the team to Atlanta, and although he's been happy to spend more more time with his 14-month-old son recently, he's eager to be back with the group full time.

"I guess it makes it a little easier to swallow when it's a more major part of your body that's hurt because not only can you not play but you can't do a lot of other things," Bradley said of the injury which hasn't prevented him from working out. "But when it's just the tip of your finger -- it almost seems stupid that that little part of your body can keep you out. On the other hand, you've got to make sure it heels properly because you don't want it to be a nagging injury.

"It felt great to be out there. Just being in the locker room getting ready, it's pretty boring getting ready by yourself and going on before the rest of the guys. Just to be out there today felt good."

By Katie Carrera  | January 24, 2011; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Matt Bradley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals seek more than redemption for ugly December loss against Rangers
Next: Video: Matt Hendricks answers your questions

Comments

"...you've got to make sure it heels properly ..."

Katie...don't they teach you about homonyms in J-school, or has the WaPo simply given up entirely on editing? Is it asking too much to have an actual writer covering the Capitals?

Posted by: AlligatorArms | January 24, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"It moves fine. It's not like I was blessed with really sweet hands anyway," said Bradley"

Translated: "Im no Semin, but at least Im not ChimChim. Man I wish that guy would work on his puck skills."

yeah, I read between the lines on that one.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 24, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@AlligatorArms

You do realize she was quoting Bradley. If she edited it like you wanted it would've been a misquote and bad journalism.

By quoting Bradley directly she did the right thing and you look like an idiot.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@AlligatorArms

You understand that it is a typo and Katie knows the difference...you don't have to be an A$$.

Posted by: Iceman27 | January 24, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

her quoting him has nothing to do with it. You really think Bradley meant he hopes he heels properly, rather than heals properly.

So sorry, I completely disagree with you that it would have been misquoting him. Because I think he meant heal.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I am curious to see how the Caps play against a playoff calibre team

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | January 24, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

It was probably just an honest mistake that is not a big deal at all.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It was probably just an honest mistake that is not a big deal at all.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Caps should be fine tonight as long as they get the first goal. I hate the Rags.

Posted by: Iceman27 | January 24, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

some people on here really get their pantys in a wad over the lamest things. While the spelling may be incorrect, your attitude is heinous and I hope you are a troll because you have the same neg attitude of one!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 24, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@AlligatorArms

Being a freelance writer, you're comment just made my day. It's a shame people of your intelligence level are allowed to post on this blog.

Posted by: jcreech1 | January 24, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the GMs have a meeting during the All-Star break. My guess is that trade discussions will heat up at that point and you may seem some trades soon after the All-Star break.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@jcreech

Being a freelance writer, you might want to double-check your "you're" in the first line of your post before you comment on someone else's homonym mistake.

That said, it will be good to have Brads back in the lineup.

Posted by: iloveburritos | January 24, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

You do realize she was quoting Bradley
--sgm---

you do realize that Bradley meant heal" and not "heel" and that it was a mistake on Katie's part. Albeit a very harmless and insignificant mistake. She was probably just thinking body parts when she made that mistake. She seems like a nice lady.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

She seems like a nice lady.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 3:13 PM

you're not looking to 'step out' on capscoach - are you?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 24, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

My contract allows me to be a free agent once in a while.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@AlligatorArms

Do you know the difference between a blog and an article?

One is usually reviewed by the editorial staff, and the other updated several times a day, independently.

Is it too much to ask for a reader to understand the way the Capitals coverage is disseminated?

Posted by: JPA2010 | January 24, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

AlligatorArms certainly could have used more tact when pointing out a typo.

However, we all have our pet peeves when it comes to such things and on occasion can overreact. I tend to get agitated when I see then and than misused.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 25, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

First, it looks like Bradley's comments were spoken, not written, so the responsibility falls back on Katie when he was quoted. Second, I think it is just one more example of sloppy, careless work on Katie's part. Third, I understand the difference between a blog post and an article, but that does not excuse poor grammar.

Katie may be a 'nice lady', but I want someone with a passion for hockey covering the Caps. Is that asking too much?

Posted by: AlligatorArms | January 25, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse