Posted at 8:29 AM ET, 02/15/2011

On the fourth line's up and down night against Phoenix

By Katie Carrera

It was something of an odd night for the rather dependable defensive-oriented trio of Boyd Gordon, David Steckel and Matt Bradley in Washington's 3-2 loss to the Coyotes Monday night. At times they showed what they do best of playing a simple game and creating energy along with the occasional scoring chance and at times they were slow to react in their own end.

In the first period, they were the only line that managed to get an even-strength shot on goal against Phoenix goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. But then, in the second they were on the ice for the shift following the goal that gave the Capitals a 1-0 lead and were caught idling a bit as the Coyotes dictated the play. Martin Hanzus scored on that shift, zapping any momentum the visitors had at Jobing.com Arena.

"When we got the first goal it was important to have a good shift right off the bat," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "They knew that. We talked about it and they didn't have a good shift. Those guys are supposed to be able to defend and they didn't and it ended up a tied game. It gave the fans momentum, it gave their team a little bit of momentum."

After being on the ice for Phoenix's first goal, the group sought to make amends. They were able to in combining for Matt Bradley's tally in the third that made it 3-2 and kept the Capitals chance of a comeback alive. But afterward Bradley underscored the importance of simply finding ways to score, regardless of which line or player puts the puck in the net.

"Our line let them score after our first one so we kind of owed the team that one," Bradley said. "I thought the third period we had a lot of chances. That's kind of been the story lately: chances and no goals. It's not good or bad, it's not getting the job done. We've got to figure out a way to get more goals."

By Katie Carrera  | February 15, 2011; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Boyd Gordon, Bruce Boudreau, David Steckel, Matt Bradley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green's injury clarified: 'Inner ear trauma'
Next: Caps' power play shows signs of life in Phoenix

Comments

Three years ago the Pittsburgh Penguins fired a coach that had taken them to the Stanley Cup finals just the year before. Why? Because the team was under performing and the season was in jeopardy. The result - they returned to the finals won the Stanley Cup. Why oh why hasn't anyone (seemingly) in the Caps organization seen the parallel. For all that Bruce has done for the Caps, he needs to go - now. Before this season is lost. The Caps play with no direction, no desire and seemingly no purpose. These are the same players that won the President's trophy last year. Instead of just despising the Penguins, the Caps ought to try some imitation.

Posted by: jlewis5 | February 15, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@jlewis5

WELL SAID!!!

Posted by: MattBradley10 | February 15, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The players have no respect for BB the Hadeed pitchman. End of story. Since he must be stuck half way up GMGM @hole we need to stop complaining and stop watching this nightmare unfold.

Posted by: capper3 | February 15, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm not opposed to firing Bruce. Who is available that people want to replace him?

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 15, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Going to be a long end of the season without a professional PP. This could turn into another 8 game losing streak...then you are really fighting for a playoff spot.Maybe they want to get the heart-breaking choking over with before April? Nice to see the Flyers loading up. A first and third for Versteeg may be too much, but what Flyers fan is going to complain when they are carrying the Cup?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 15, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@jlewis
@pkme

Caps need to "ape" Pens and Flyers. GMGM too aloof to do it. Owner - clueless on Cup winning hockey.

@pkme
I'm not at the point of wanting to trade Backy. But all he's doing is "gliding" during games. Ovi draws multiple defenders and 19 is nowhere to be seen in the slot.

Green and Backy are "rescueable" with a tough Canadian coach. Semin and 55 are a fruit cakes !

I brought up the fact that Backy is either
hurt, sand bagging BB since he knows BB can't win the Bowl, or has a FAT post contract wallet. People Dumped all over me for days !

So, which one is it ? No late sophomore slump nonsense. This guy is dogging it, and has since game one.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

i want to see a trade for a top 6 forward. a winger to play with ovie/backstrom or a 2c. 2c is obviously a more pressing need, but im beginning to think a first line winger should be just as much of a priority. Knuble doesn't have the legs right now, chimera doesn't have the skills and fehr is inconsistent.

another defenseman who can shoot would also be nice. with green/poti out, carlson is the only one who provides any sort of offensive threat. if green/poti are going to be out for awhile, they need help now. can't drop too many more games.

Posted by: brian58 | February 15, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

There are three guys on this team that play like they got a pair:

1)Bradley

2)Hendricks

3)Erskine (I know he makes mistakes, but he busts his rear every shift.)

Therefore, NO CUP FOR US !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Bye George. You and Gabby ought to go scarf shopping ! Therapeutic purchase !

Wake up Ted ! Those season ticket holders will evaporate as quickly as this team's play off performances

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@Hunter -Pardon me for disagreeing, but the owner just signs the checks. The GM is the one responsible for getting the right people in place to win a Cup.

I think the ultimate fall guy is GMGM, but that's already been said.

I'll be changing my screen name to Captain Obvious now.

I know Pittsburgh won a Cup after Mario took over, but Shero, the GM, put it together.

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 15, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@brian58

"a winger to play with Backy" Backy doesn't play any more. Ovi is at least hustling.

Should have known the "Knuble deal" was too good to be true. The Flyers are so play off savvy, that they wouldn't shed a guy who has the potential to hoist.

sgm3, I don't care the Flyers have not won the cup since 74, they've been to the finals 6 times since then. So, beat it.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Some of you guys say the same thing over and over and over again. To sing the praises of someone like Erskine who incorrectly stepped up in the O-zone AGAIN which lead to the 2 on 1 and decisive goal is goofy.

I know a lot of you guys hate Poti but is there a number cruncher out there who can show us the Caps record with Poti in the line-up compared to him out of the line-up?
Whether some of you like it or not he does do a good job moving the puck out of the zone.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 15, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1

Who is this Poti person you speak of? I think I remember us having a guy by that name but its been so long sence I have seen him play a few game together, if memory serves me right thats the same guy that bring shame on Scott Steven number???

Posted by: bqts | February 15, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@jwash44

This owner has watched his lawyer GM construct two teams via two methods. One with FA's and another through the draft.

Both bombed. You would think that a businessman like Ted would eventually conclude. "This guy can't spot play off guys" WENT TO BOTH SHARKS AND KINGS GAMES AND ALMOST HURLED ON THE PAINT BUCKET DRUMMER AT METRO ENTRANCE.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I am going to go to Hershey this weekend to watch the Bears play. I just want to watch a team that will play with heart and more than probably win as well.

Posted by: bqts | February 15, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

BB must go!

I think he is a good coach. But right now, these guys need a coach who can flash a shiny Stanly Cup ring in their faces during a rough practice - This will get them motivated.

Caps will only win one game on this road trip

Posted by: Nats1924 | February 15, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@bqts
@fanohock

"Shame on Steven's number" I can't tell you how many times I've thought the same thing when the "poke check Queen" does her stuff.

@fanohock, weren't you one of the guys bustin' on Cstanton when he was ringing the bell about what pansies BB and these boys were ?

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@fonohock

Yea, John's not the greatest hockey player, but at least he plays "NHL hockey".

What's going on with rest of these guys ?

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

hunter

Backstrom is having a bad year. It happens with great young players. The idea of trading him is really crazy. I do not think you were the one that said trade him. I have read your posts and they usually make sense. If you remember after the Montreal series we were calling for BB head first. I backed off of that because it seems like a lost cause. I think we would all love to work for Ted as an employer. I actually think Ted is trying hard to run a professional organization and not being impulsive like Snyder. My guess is that Ted will give him this year because he probably gave his word and commitment to that. Now people are ripping Ted for doing the opposite of what Dan Snyder would do. I find that appealing. On another note I have watched The Caps since their inception and losing is something I am pretty used to with this team. I just want to watch a great game and have a team that works hard and is fun to watch. I have never had any belief that this team was Cup bound. No I did not buy into the hype. I said it in 2009-2010 season and I still believe that they are not constructed to win a championship. The rest of that garbage was hype from the Ted marketing machine to fill seats. Maybe they believe their own hype too much. That whole we won The Cup before you actually win a playoff series. Still love the team and I just hope they make the playoffs at this point.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

A shout out to Captain Kirk !

Are you alive out there ?

Did you go to those games at the Booth ?

Still think we're Cup bound ?

Still think Nicky is a "hall of Famer"?

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again - suggesting we get new players. Our players are fine - better than last year because of Hendricks and Hannon. It's the coach!!!!! Notice he hasn't lost any weight. When was the last obese NHL succesful coach? I'm not trying to be ugly - but this team of terrific athletes isn't playing for him anymore. Unless the Perguins were just really lucky with Blysma(sp?), any competent coach will be an improvement. GMGM is just too in love with the whole "we built it all from within" tagline. It's not working -our players are OK, we need a new coach.

Posted by: jlewis5 | February 15, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@nats

Stick with baseball. BB is a goof !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of hearing what will motivate this team. Being the joke of the league after choking in the playoffs last year should be motivation enough. It falls on the players shoulders at this point, and it should have been a angry motivated team since October. Lack of leadership...starts with the goofball star-players who are not playing like stars.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 15, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

And those comparing Ted to the Danny need to apologize for that statement. To compare a positive human being to one of the most horrible humnan beings in the world is really an insult to Ted. Ted is loyal to his employees even when things are not going right. I sure as heck do not like BB but man is Ted loyal. Ted as a man, businessman and philanthropist make me proud. The Danny is simply atrocious. I am not some brownnose of Ted but some on here are really reaching.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

BRUCE MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DCPowerGator | February 15, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Even if we did make a trade does anyone really believe the Caps could beat The Flyers. Mcphee will stand pat. Maybe one trade and my guess would be Semin would go. Lets be honest that Semin who I like does not seem to like the USA. If he did he would have tried to learn the language better and be a bigger part of the DC community. And I do not mean the Russian Room or Josephine community.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

@jlewis
@pkme

In my heart, I think Backy is soft. Too soft to win the Cup, but I'll give him time due to youth. But Jeez buddy, show some hustle. It's not Nashville; we know the game. You're not net crashing at all.

75% of These players are not hoisters. the coach and GM are definitely not Cup material. Pull a Danial Snyder ! This guy has been our GM since we went to he finals with David Poile's team. That was 13 years ago. Those Cup finalists are now fat old men. Look at Tinordi, that will tell you how long it's been. The guy is unrecognizable ! Bondras going bald

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Who is availablt to replace him? Anyone got suggestions or does no one want to actually talk about hockey?

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 15, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI's Fun Tip for the Day:

Never board a ship if Hunterforcoach is the Captain...you will end up hitting an iceberg on purpose.

Then again, it would show more grit to head straight for it (ala Titanic) than to go around it I guess. But at least you wont get called a pansy as you are sinking/drowning.

Donde esta el pequeno pollo?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 15, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI's Fun Tip for the Day:

Donde esta el pequeno pollo?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 15, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@hunter, -Points well made. Something needs to happen. Or better yet, someone needs to go.

If it makes you feel any better, I went to the 7-0 drubbing in NYC in December. Also there on Saturday and missed "Optional's" goal.

Talk about wanting to hurl!!

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 15, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

If The Caps had maybe a Dino or Dale Hunter style players would they be a Cup contender? I would say yes. I still think they are missing guys who love crashing the net and enjoy high traffic areas. No offense against Hendricks but two more players like him with real hockey skills.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

If I did the math correctly, it was real quick. But with Poti in the lineup this year they are 9-8-4...or 9-12 depending on how you want to look at it.

Posted by: ThePat | February 15, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the hyper-ventilating is continuing. Paper bags all around.

Say what you will, but injuries a problem. Semin's been out, meaning Ovi gets all the defensive pressure. Plus, Poti's still out, and he's a vet. If Poti comes back, then that will help immensely. A Sloan-Erskine pairing doesn't inspire confidence. If he isn't going to come back, then GMGM needs to pull the trigger on a trade. If Green is out long term, then the issues are more complicated. Sometimes injuries prevent the best team from winning, its just the way it is.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 15, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@Hunter...if you and Stanton know so much about hockey you would be in the game...go apply for a job coaching the team, stop complaining and do something constructive...

Posted by: boomer44 | February 15, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@pkme

I think GMGM will try to make a hockey trade (meaning mostly current NHL players for NHL players) and not unload a boatload of the team's top prospects. He may trade away draft picks, but I have hard time seeing him trade either Eakin, Kuznetsov or Orlov now for a rental with the fear being that there is a good chance the rental may not work.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@jlewis- Ken Hitchcock won a Stanley Cup in Dallas in 1999 and took the Stars to a losing final appearance in 2000. He also was part of Team Canada's coaching staff that won an Olympic gold medal in Salt Lake 2002, and a World Cup in 2004 (head coach for both 2002/2004 teams was Pat Quinn who, at the time, would have never been confused for being the pique of health). He was (and to the best of my knowledge is), by any standard, obese.

Posted by: jcurrin | February 15, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

calling backstrom soft does not make sense. he never misses a game even when injured.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI...I like the Titantic statement..so glad I won't have to go to war with the doofus brigade...or cross the country on Consestoga Trail...can you imagine how they would freak out when confronted with any difficulties?

Posted by: boomer44 | February 15, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Tail of the Tape since JAN 1.

Caps have won 7 of 18 games - 0.389

4-4-2 in the past 10

Caps have been shut out 4 of those 18 games - 0.222

Caps have scored 36 goals in 18 games - 2.00

Caps have given up 35 goals in 18 games - 1.94

In the last 2 months, I heard the power play is something like 5 of 60.

We now sit in the 6th seed of the conference.

Unless a change of the head coach is made, I see the Caps sliding down into the 7th or 8th seed of the conference (93 pts) ith a match-up against either PHI or BOS. I see CAR grabbing the 7th seed. Either way, 5 and out for the Caps.

At the rate ATL and BUF are playing, I don't see them picking up enough points to jump into the playoff picture.

Posted by: puckman | February 15, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Fire Boudreau. Seriously. He has lost the team. We need someone who will whip these ego driven guys into shape. I am not buying anymore Caps merchandise until they start winning, and I don't think that will happen until they fire Bourdreau.

Posted by: GoCaps08 | February 15, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@jcurrin
OK, point taken. Still at his age, IMO he has no business being that fat. I know it's tough to lose weight, but gee - he's just as dumpy looking as he was when he got off the boat (from Hershey).

Posted by: jlewis5 | February 15, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Relax, everyone. Stop being so negative. Everything is fine and I see winning the Cup this year as our right of passage. Why? This is what I have been told:

1) The defense is now complete. Check.

2) Our inability to score goals is only because of our power play slump. Once the power play gets on track (just around the corner), the 5 on 5 will score like last year.

3) We don't need to waste money on free agents and trade deadline overpriced has- beens. We have this great stable of players in Hershey who will excel at all positions, including 2nd line center. Let the other foolish playoff bound teams waste their cap space on the Fishers and Versteegs. We are better positioned.

4) At any time, we can flip the switch and play well because only the playoffs count. Who cares how poorly we play in regular season, the switch is ready to be flipped at will.

Ah, I am just going to sit back, relax, and enjoy seeing the Stanley Cup at Verizon come June, displayed right next to Tom Poti's Norris Trophy. All you naysayers keep up the criticism. Everything is really just fine in Capsland.
Keep chanting that over and over and over as you shell out another 10 grand for season tickets.

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 15, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

This is coaching?? This is what it comes down too?? FatBoy blaming the 4th LINERS for losing the game?? UN-F'ing-BELIEVABLE!! This guy calls hiimself a coach?? Hey FatBoy, what did your first 2 lines do last night?? How about that powerplay?? Has anybody noticed that the 3rd and 4th lines have been carrying the team? FatBoy is a JOKE!

Posted by: doughless | February 15, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

puckman

Interesting stuff. the shutouts are really concerning obviously. I thought the powerplay looked okay last night. Throw all the grinders on the powerplay and see what happens.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

One other thing, i find it humorous that some here pile on #4 when he makes one mistake. Goal was scored as a result, yes. i don't hear the same donks complain about #52 his bevy of continuouis botches that lead to goals. how about that #55 you donks love?? y'all are funny

Posted by: doughless | February 15, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

10:30am after a game day and this is the only post on Caps Insider. What a joke. Where's Tarik?

Posted by: CalleJoFan | February 15, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I wish one time in a postgame press conference BB would hold himself accountable. He could have come out and said "we worked hard tonight, we even got a lucky bounce. However Dave Tippet is just a better coach than I am and knew exactly how to play us. They kept us to the outside and basically limited us from doing anything in their zone once we got within one goal. They were very impressive tonight." Just one time I'd like to see that come from him.

Posted by: ThePat | February 15, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

blaming the d or the grinders is crazy. mostly they are the guys playing with their heart. Folks MJ is going to be a top tier center in the NHL. He looks incredible. Anyone notice how he is almost always in the right position. His skating ability, stick handling and hockey sense are off the charts. Maybe we all need to look to the future that this will not be The Capitals year. Eakin will make the team next year. Carlson and Alzner will be a year more mature. MJ will have a full year in the Majors. Our young goalie corps will have more experience. OVI might lose ten pounds.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Eakin was one of the last cut this year at 18. He most certainly will make the team next year.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we are close to the point where Bruce must go. An ofer road trip would seal the deal, imho. Bruce will get another NHL job, and deservedly so, but he's lost these guys. First line plays awful offensive hockey. There is no second line. The power play is awful, too. Get Ovie off the point and away from his transparent moves and get him down to the net. Also, get two full power play units, get more people involved. It's like always passing from the first yard line -- the O line gets no ownership of the score. Spread it out. And replace the lost minutes for Ovie on the penalty kill. And maybe we need a Russian speaking coach to tell him to start playing NHL hockey instead of the beer league one on three moves all the time.

Posted by: milfordone | February 15, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Get off the Fat boy stuff. whatever you think of BB, he has a medical problem that leads to problems with his weight. I think minor diabetes (sp?) or something like that. Complain all you want about his coaching but grow up with the weight stuff.

Posted by: billd2 | February 15, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Zero net presence on the power play. Look at Phoenix last night, their goal came with a big guy blocking Neuvy's view. On our power play, everyone is on the perimeter waiting for a shooting lane and teams know it and are blocking shots. Get us the HULK in front of the net. Green, Carlson, Ovi, Backs, and ... GMGM fill in the blank with a beast on the power play to screen goalie

Posted by: SeattleRob | February 15, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@jlewis and doughless: lose the "fat" comments. Coach B. has diabetes,which is a really intrusive and tough disease. And even if his weight isn't related to a disease, it's irrelevant.

It's one thing to have legit criticism/comments about coaching styles and abilities, it's another to have childish name calling (as when someone calls Coach Boudreau "Big Baby") and irrelevant topics (the coach's weight problem.) Grow up, people.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 15, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@pkme...Eakin is not a sure thing to make the Caps, he was kept in camp longer than other palyers because he couldn't play for Hershey this year, it was the Caps or back to juniors

Posted by: boomer44 | February 15, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

PKME...re; Backstroms "durability"

It's tough to get hurt when you are a perimeter player and don't exert much energy every shift.

Admit it, he gave more effort the past two seasons.

He Glides more than Oksana Baiul..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 15, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

sorry....politically incorrent. oh brother! billd & dccitizen, guess that means we can't call you oversensitive whiners.

Posted by: doughless | February 15, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@CalleJoFan

the caps are on the west coast so it would be 730 there....caps wont be practicing until probably 2 or 230 our time

Posted by: _stevo | February 15, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | February 15, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Yup, absolutely. Even before you decided you needed to type in ALL CAPS the last couple of days demanding apologies I have been on here conceeding that cstanton1 provides solid criticism with sound feedback instead of stand up comedy zingers.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 15, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It was funny to listen to Billy Gaffe (sp) last night. I think he said 5 times that Coach Bruce can't find the fix to the scoring problem the caps have, he made statements like "He's tried everything put "x" on the point put "a another" on the point........... and so on.

Is it just me or isn't that someone saying on national tv the Bruce dosen't have the answers ?????????????

And thats no a Caps fan with his emotions on his sleve either

Posted by: bqts | February 15, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

During the year, the coaching ranks are thin because you can't hire off other team's coaching staffs. I don't think you can hire another team's AHL coach during the season.
Bob Hartley, Craig MacTavish, Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keenan, Ken Hitchcock are men with previous coaching experience who are not coaching on other staffs.
Mark French doesn't have the experience to make the jump from Hershey.
Bob Hartley did coach Hershey but, that was years ago & I don't think that could be considered experience within the organization.
Most of the guys I listed would light a fire under some lazy players.
As much as I rail for a coaching change, it would be difficult this late in the season. Most of the guys on my list wouldn't take an interm contract & this would prevent us from hiring an other teams assistant during the off-season if mid-season change didn't work out.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 15, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@billd2 -If I'm not mistaken, being overweight leads to diabetes, not the other way around.

I'm no doctor, but that was my understanding.

Time for a new excuse. Oh wait, he's big- boned. Never mind.

Him being overweight has nothing to do with him losing this team this year. Next argument, please!!

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 15, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

jwash. I read something about his weight problems in his book. I'll re read it and post what the problems were. You are correct though . Has nothing to do with the team problems.

Posted by: billd2 | February 15, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@doughless and others,
I read Katie's post a few times and I did not see where Coach BB blamed the fourth line for the loss. He held them accountable for their play and pointed out what happened with big mo, but I did not see where he said that they lost the game.

Posted by: _Mark | February 15, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind trying to deal for a center from the blues...they have a ton of them and are really falling out of the playoff picture in the west.

mcdonald, boyes, steen, oshie, mcclement, berglund, and doubtful but backes

Posted by: _stevo | February 15, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom had a great season last year and maybe exceeded realistic expectations. The lack of a 2nd line center who is threat means teams can focus there best checking line on his line without worrying about 2nd line scoring. GMGM has known for two seasons since Federov left that this was a flaw and tried an aging veteran (Morrison) and two rookies to fill the role.

There are solid, experienced second line centers out there as evidenced by the Fisher trade, but GMGM won't part with any of the team's young talent. Teams that are rebuilding simply don't give away a good 2nd line center for nothing. I'm not advocating trading Eakin or Kuznetsov, but what about some draft picks? We wasted one on Belanger last night who looked pretty good going against our first line.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 15, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom had a great season last year and maybe exceeded realistic expectations. The lack of a 2nd line center who is threat means teams can focus there best checking line on his line without worrying about 2nd line scoring. GMGM has known for two seasons since Federov left that this was a flaw and tried an aging veteran and two rookies to fill the role.

There are solid, experienced second line centers out there as evidenced by the Fisher trade, but GMGM won't part with any of the team's young talent. Teams that are rebuilding simply don't give away a good 2nd line center for nothing. I'm not advocating trading Eakin or Kuznetsov, but what about some draft picks? We wasted one on Belanger last year and he looked pretty good going against our first line last night.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 15, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

mcdonald, boyes, steen, oshie, mcclement, berglund, and doubtful but backes

Posted by: _stevo | February 15, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I like Oshie a lot. Has skill and is a spitfire on the ice... qualities would could use at center for sure!

Posted by: bloodontheice | February 15, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm no doctor, but that was my understanding.

Posted by: jwash4472

That depends on the type of diabetes.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

leave BB weight alone. Bowman did not look skinny to me.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I really don't want to keep hitting this point but, a team tends to take the personality of the coach. A fat, lazy coach who shows commitment thru words & not actions will tend to have a fat, lazy team who does the same.

Does this sound like a team we know?

If BB has diabetes, show some f-ing self-control & don't get ice cream while shopping (HBO 24/7). Yes, I know it's hard, I skip on treats, eat fruits & veggies instead of chips in an attempt to maintain my weight. It's hard just like playing within a system.

BTW, I thought the Caps played a good game last night. The PP moved the puck & got chances. Phoenix made a great play to cause the 2 on 1. Erskine got caught in no-man's land. It happens. The other d-man (Sloan if think) did a horrible job on the 2 on 1. He ended up 6 feet wide of the net. WTF was that? Basic 2 on 1 d, stay in the MIDDLE & force the puck carrier to shoot. Take away the pass!

Posted by: chriscaps | February 15, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok, you can rip on BB for a lot of things a a coach, but c'mon...leave the guy alone about his weight. From MIke Wise's column on November 1, 2009 about BB's memoirs:

"Readers learn early of his battle of the bulge, how the diabetes medicine he takes sometimes makes Boudreau put on pounds. It's why he won't ever ridicule heavy people. "I truly believe it's the most difficult thing in the world to continue to diet, eat properly, and stay thin," he writes. "I say that because I haven't been able to do it."

"Embarking on the story that's mine has made me so much better of a communicator and a coach," Boudreau said on Saturday after practice before the signing. "I've been through everything, I feel like."

Boudreau's peak-and-valley minor league existence comes through. Further, he is proof that great players rarely make good coaches. "Because they don't know what it's like to fail," Boudreau said Saturday. "Or be yelled at. Or be put down. Or be disappointed. Sometimes they can't handle it because they've never experienced it."

Maybe he's not the right fit anymore for this team, but the guy's paid his dues.

Posted by: mgoride | February 15, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

boudreau's got no problem blaming the fourth line...big man that he is. i'd like to see him take ov's powerplay time away...or put semin on the fourth line. how about showing some balls when dealing with the players who are actually costing us games by playing like they have no interest. our biggest players have been our biggest problem. but no one in this organization seems to have the cajones to hold them accountable. how can you expect the product on the ice to be any different, when it's all talk and no action from the suits?

Posted by: dingram3 | February 15, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"how is this, BB can come up with no better reason for the loss other than it is the 4th liners fault??

Posted by: doughless "

That is an example of a legitimate comment/criticism that relates to hockey, so it's appropriate to have it on the blog. Discussing Coach B's weight is not related to hockey, so I don't think I was being an "overly sensitive whiner" by asking you to lay off the weight comments.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 15, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

IMO Semin is either still injured or not back to full strength.

What a person does in their personal life effects their work. What ethics, habits etc. a person displays in their personal life are almost always the same that they display at work. Don't do what I do, do what I say?
Fitness is a key aspect in hockey. We all know the players joke about BB's weight behind the BB's back. It's the same when this guy tries to teach defense. I'm sure the players say or have said: "What does this dude know about defense, he never played any when he played & sure hasn't ever coached it."
Sorry, players & coaches are in the spot light. This guy also loses respect from other coaches, teams and fans because of this issue. I wouldn't dobut he loses respect from his own team because of it.

Posted by: chriscaps | February 15, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Dale Hunter....Dale Hunter.....Dale Hunter

Posted by: CB28031 | February 15, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Giving away freebies and free samples is the best way for companies to introduce their products to you. Best place is "123 Get Samples" Best of all, there is no obligation on your part.

Posted by: bonnywilliams123 | February 16, 2011 4:38 AM | Report abuse