Posted at 11:29 AM ET, 12/21/2010

Matt Hendricks doubtful vs. Devils, Alexander Semin a 'game-time decision'

By Greg Schimmel

Bruce Boudreau said winger Matt Hendricks is doubtful for tonight's game against New Jersey with an undisclosed injury, while Alexander Semin will be a "game-time decision."

Hendricks was unexpectedly absent this morning when the Capitals held their morning skate at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, while Semin participated in the entire roughly 45-minute session and Boudreau said "he looked like he was okay today."

Semin has missed the last three games with an undisclosed lower-body injury, but he skated on the top line this morning during line rushes with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom.

"Again, it's a game-time decision," Boudreau said. "Usually he'll come out and warm up and say 'I can't go,' or 'Yeah, put me in.'"

If both Semin and Hendricks can't play, the only other viable option would seem to be D.J. King, who participated in the scratches skate after the main session.

Boudreau said Eric Fehr is still away from the team attending his grandmother's funeral, and while Fehr will be back tomorrow, he is definitely out for tonight.

Based on Boudreau's comments this morning, Semin seems more likely to play than Hendricks.

Other news and notes:

--Michal Neuvirth was the first goaltender off the ice and appears set to make his third straight start tonight against New Jersey. Neuvirth is 2-0 with a 1.50 goals against average in his brief career against the Devils.

--King and Tyler Sloan stayed on the ice along with Semyon Varlamov and the assistant coaches for some extra work after the main skate, and injured defenseman Jeff Schultz came out for some work after the rest of the team left the ice as well.

--With that information and a look at the line rushes the Caps ran through early in the skate, here is unofficially what the lineup could look like tonight at Verizon Center when the Caps take on the Devils, with the big assumption that Semin can play:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Perreault-Knuble
Chimera-Johansson-A. Gordon
Beagle-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Hannan-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Poti

Goaltenders
Neuvirth
Varlamov

By Greg Schimmel  | December 21, 2010; 11:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: The emergence of Mathieu Perreault
Next: Caps look to get power play clicking again vs. Devils

Comments

Ooooh, the Devuls are in town tonight. Can't wait!

Posted by: kkd76 | December 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

poor Erskine. Reward for being a good soldier is getting stuck with Paul Coffey without the offense.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how DJK is supposed to keep his fighting skills in shape getting scratched for every game. Fighting is like anything else, you don't practice it enough it will start to erode.

I wish the Caps would just come out and admit they made a big mistake in trading for a player they are utterly clueless about developing. They could've held onto SDR who by this time next will be getting more ice time in the NHL than King. And he's 6 yrs younger.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see a decision made on the goaltending. These guys are trained to play a full season, not every other game. I think this will impact the team greatly. Good luck to neuvy!

Posted by: cappies | December 21, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

What a lineup, I hope we put the same guys on the ice Thursday night vs. the Pens. This is pathetic!!! Here's to hoping PL3 is in the lineup and he and Clarkson go hard at our guys....if it takes a serious injury to someone on our team to open BB's eyes, then so-be-it. Once again, I'll be rooting for #4 to play well and hoping that something transpires during the game to rid us of BB once and for all

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

cappies- I don't think a goalie decision has been or will be made until the playoffs. Neither of these guys are ready to play 70 games per year. I suspect that BB wants them both to get a game before the break and wants Varly in net against the Pens.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

hey vermontcaps... if you want boudreau out, maybe you could impart some wisdom on who would be a better coach for this group. i'm not saying you're wrong, but there is a lot of chemistry with this group from back in Hershey...

i don't see a peter laviolette type option out there like philly had last year...

enlighten me!

Posted by: carsonspence | December 21, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I agree that no decision has been made on the goalies, but if Neuvy plays well tonight I expect to see him playing on Thursday.

I think BB is trying to give a goalie a few consecutive starts to get in a rhythm. Once Neuvy has a bad game, it will be Varly's chance.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so we can note vermontcaps as a "Caps fan" who hopes that a Cap is injured for the good of the team. Not sure which is worse, the "Caps fan" that roots for the Caps loss or the one wanting a Caps injury.

Posted by: _Mark | December 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ftr -- prior to Peter LaViolette being hired in Philly, I recall a lot of fans mocking that hire.

Whoever said to go with a younger coach who doesn't have much or any head coaching experience in the NHL, I'd concur with that. You don't want an nhl retread in here.

But otoh, Marc Crawford is doing a nice job in Dallas this yr and I would have liked a guy like that who preaches team toughness and had had experience developing offensive AND defensive players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I am nervous that they are going to ask Semin to skate when he is not ready. These injuries are getting ridiculous. Hendricks will be missed, and the idea of having to play without Semin and Fehr as well is unsettling. Those are three players that are needed...missing one is no biggie, but 3 will be hard to deal with.

I like the idea of putting Semin back with Ovie...they usually get each other going.

Posted by: capscoach | December 21, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark

I'd venture its the Caps fan who pretends that any other fan can actually influence an injury on the ice or the loss of a game.

It took a long losing streak to WAKE UP this organization. Was that a bad thing to occur? Of course not. It can only help in the long run. They're now playing better team hockey and focusing more on defense.

So if it takes PL3 or some other player running a Caps star before our coach and GM wake up to the fact that perhaps we need better team toughness on the ice, that is also a good thing for the long run. And I wouldn't put the blame on a fan. We have no influence here. If a Caps player gets injured because of this organizaton's candya__ philosophies, you can put the blame squarely on the shoulders of GM and BB. Last yr we could've had quite a few serious injuries when guys like Orr laid cheapshots on players like Mike Green. Those instances would occur a lot less if we had a different team makeup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

sgm3-It's just a hunch, but I think if the organization had to name one of these guys the #1 goalie, it'd be Varly. Varly has always been a step ahead on the depth chart and Neuvy would have to play like rookie year Steve Mason to take the #1 spot.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Didn't PL3 get waived and then assigned to Albany after his attempt to fight MJ90?

And I imagine Bradley can handle Clarkson again.

Beagle can run around and be pesky if he puts his mind to it too. He hasn't done it much this season, but I've seen him do it before.

I like Jay Beagle.

Posted by: Fro_2 | December 21, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

You may be right. Varly has performed well in the playoffs. But I have got the impression that the team has gained a lot of confidence in Neuvy and also like what he showed in the Calder Cup playoffs the the last two years.

I'm just going by a hunch too, but I think it is real close.

My guess is, if both players are healthy, whoever gets the start in the Winter Classic has the lead on the starting goalie race.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@carsonspence

I'd like to see Ted Nolan take over the team. A former Jack Adams winner, he always got his teams to overachieve. He's got something to prove, the team has something to prove, and I think he'd make a good fit.

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@carsonspence

Hunter for coach.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

sgm3 - I'd say if Varly is healthy, he'll get the start in the Winter Classic. NHL playoffs > Calder Cups and Varly has had the better numbers since his return to the lineup.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

RE: goalie.

i think its clear that varlamov is boudreau's guy...he'll definitely start the winter classic...

for me, i prefer neuwirth as he is more consistent in his play and gives up infinitely fewer rebounds.

Posted by: carsonspence | December 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'll add that I like Neuvy and would like to see him get a fair chance, but as of today, he hasn't proven he's better than Varly.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the thought process wherein you want the team that you support to suffer losses and injuries so that they will wake up and make the changes you think are necessary. That is a pretty perverted thought process. Disagree with those making the decisions for the team if you will, but rooting for bad things to happen to the team that you are a fan of is wrong in my opinion.

Posted by: _Mark | December 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The DJ King debacle is just ridiculous. He has been scratched when we play the goon teams like NYR/Philly and sits out while Hershey kids have a position. If we don't want him, waive him and move along. Another roster spot and 700g available. Either play him or waive him.

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 21, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@Cstanton

I watched the Engelland /Pyatt fight. Engelland lays the guy down gently after knocking him silly. It's a scrum. DoDo happens. No real opinion.

I do know this. The Pens have GUTS, team defense, balanced scoring, and good goal tending. Sounds like a cUp winner to me.

Where are all the goof balls that say there is no model to creating a cUp winner ?

THE PENS JUST RELOADED AGAIN. THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO BEAT OUR BRAINS IN AND FILL THE NET WITH PUCKS.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

1. D.J. King is developed. He may be rusty, but he's old and experienced enough to be a pro.

2. Did you read any reports from Blues camp about SDR? Apparently the whole team was glad when he was cut. He's an agitator with potentially borderline NHL talent--like King--but he's also a divisive locker room presence. His upside may be more useful in the long run to the Caps, but he's got significantly more question marks surrounding him. Steve Downie had similar question marks but significantly more talent--he panned out (for now). It also took a trade to help reign him in. But for every Downie, there are ten who never make it.

We won't know for a while whether the trade will pan out...but early results aren't exactly like you're presenting them. Of course, objectivity probably isn't your goal in the first place...

Posted by: frasnap | December 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I'm interested to see who gets the start in the Winter Classic. I think it's close. But yes, Stanley Cup playoff expereince is much greater than Calder Cup.

As carsonspence mentioned though, Neuvy is very good at rebound control. Especially when he is on his game. Considering the Caps D inability to keep other teams from getting rebounds having a goalie that doesn't allow many is even more important.

I like both goalies and am interested to see how it all plays out.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@carsonspence

I'd like to see Ted Nolan take over the team
------------

never happen. He interviewed and they didn't like him. He came off as too mystical. That was around the time I think Brian Trottier was another possible candidate. Instead, our genius GM and owner went with Bruce Cassidy. Probably the worst coaching hire in recent memory.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@carsonspence

However, Neuvy is good for a softie every game it seems. Some nights 2.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 21, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

As far as playing with more team focus and defensive responsibility, I think that that was their goal from the start of the season and during this losing streak, they finally had the chance to have some formal practices where they could work on systems. Now the challenge is keeping that focus and not straying back to bad habits.

Posted by: _Mark | December 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frasnap |

how am i not being objective?

1- The Caps don't develop enforcers. Care to quibble with that?

2- DJK was supposed to contribute more than he currently has. Care to oppose that or do you think when the trade went down he'd be getting into every 5th game and be behind 3 or 4 Hershey callups? And his insertion into the lineup is probably even more unlikely in the weeks ahead.

3- If you think a fighter doesn't get rusty, I don't know what to tell you. But I find that view to be either misguided or highly unOBJECTIVE.

4- The rhetoric when the trade went down was that we were getting a quality enforcer for a prospect who wouldn't see the NHL in 3 yrs.

You're right Frasnap, I am completely skewing the facts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

You're right Frasnap, I am completely skewing the facts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:35 PM

Pssh, fact skewer. Hrrmph.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark |

you DO understand that if a CAps player does get injured thru some circumstance where one can point to our lack of team toughness as a contributing factor, that the fault lies on the very regime you support, right? Redirecting that to some fan who expressed a view that he'd like to see a change occur is silly. Even if that fan said it would take an injury before the GM or coach got a clue. You're wasting your energy getting upset over a statement like that. I can sit here and say I want the Caps to lose in the first round to a bad opponent because I believe that one more loss like that will facilitate the change that I feel needs to occur at the highest levels for this team to truly take the next step. Want to waste your time being mad at me for that?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AADCDERM

This is the issue I have with the team. This year is supposed to be Cup or bust; year 6 of the 5 year plan. GMGM moved a prospect for a NHL tough guy, which I was in total agreement. Now, he is pulling the old switcheroo by playing a bunch of prospects, giving him a ready made excuse if the team underachieves again. If the Caps fail to make the ECF, GMGM and BB should be shown the door.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

well now... caps sign Erskine to extension... 2 years, 1.5 mil per season...

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

--------------AADC--------------

I'm going to blow this out of the water right now. You're going to come on here and say that the DJK discussion is "ridiculous" and yet you make the most ridiculous argument ever.

The Rangers and Flyers are two of the toughest teams in hockey, who employ SEVERAL players who can fight and play chippy hockey. Those are exactly two prime candidates for us to dress DJKing against.

Your argument implies that we should only dress DJ against teams with bad records. So basically, we should dress him against the Devils, right? Is he playing tonight? whooops!

So lets forget that for a moment shall we.

To make an argument that you only dress your tough guy against losing teams serves what purpose exactly? Are you saying that we should "weaken" our lineup against weak teams by playing a less skilled player like DJK? What purpose would that serve? Why not just field a strong lineup in every game? What if the losing team we dress DJ against actually is a very non-physical opponent? Still want to dress our tough guy anyway? Are you assuming that losing teams like to goon it up so we need DJ against those teams but not against teams like Phi or NYR?

good god, make a better argument please.

Why don't the Flyers scratch Shelley when they play good teams? Why don't the Rags scratch Boogaard when they play good teams?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ablacke70

I agree-the issue is with the team not DJ. He will not improve/be useful sitting with Sloan in Nacholand, considering the nearly two years of injury that required he sit out while in St. Louis. The kid has the right the either play somewhat regularly with the team and be allowed to contribute OR find another team who will give him a chance OR let him find a new day job.

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

wow, where have I been, didn't even see that the erskine extension was from the 17th... my bad all!!

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Not upset, not mad. I just don't get the thought process and think it is sad. You certainly provoke thought, although I don't always agree with you. Different outlooks are fine. I just happen to be a more positive and optimistic type. A koolaid drinker if you want, but I don't agree with everything the team does.

Posted by: _Mark | December 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

--hunter--

oh they're around :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Hold on there, cstanton1! You have jumped to a conclusion I am NOT proposing and you totally misunderstood the post. I do NOT think that DJ should ONLY be played against goon teams. I merely state that the minimal use of an enforcer is when playing goon teams and he is not even being played against them! I believe he or any "enforcer" type should be regularly played in the NHL because they are qualified. DJ is either not given the chance (and should be) or is judged by management as "not worthy" and if so should be cut.

Sheesh-don't be so quick to snarl until you give a guy a chance to explain. And usually I am the sarcastic ahole! (for one it's not me!) :-)

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Without sounding too dramatic, tonight's game is definitely the most important of the year. A sound victory (5-2, 4-2, something like that) could help this team gain even more momentum and get even closer to putting the losing streak behind them.

However, a loss would be devestating. The team has looked to rebound to old form in 4 of the past 5 periods, but all that would be washed away were they to lose tonight, especially if they lose convincingly.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark

well, at least you're more mature than I am when you disagree.

I guess my point is, esp with regards to the Caps losing. Good things can come from losing sometimes. And if they win just enough it gives them a false sense of security and prolongs the necessary changes from occurring. I find it illogical (not sad or pessimistic) to continue to want a team to keep its front office in place when I think they are incompetent. Again, I'm not projecting this onto you or anyone else. Which is why I don't make the argument against the "koolaiders" that they need to root for bad things to happen to get the GM and coach ousted. Since they like the coach and GM, it wouldn't make sense for them to root for anything that could cause significant change to occur. Since I firmly believe that GM and BB are not right for this org, it is logical for me to want to see change occur, and unfortunately that change will only occur if something drastically bad happens. Like they miss the playoffs, or go on a long losing streak. Once I feel I can trust the leadership on this team, then I will be a strong supporter of the coach and GM.

And don't anyone make the argument that I am rooting against this team winning a Cup or making a deep playoff run. I'm not. But thats irrelevant anyway since I don't think that will occur. What I'm rooting against is this team winning just enough games to keep the current regime from losing their jobs. That's it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the game notes PL3 isn't listed for the Devil's

Posted by: Steve_R | December 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Can this be as simple as GMGM trading for an enforcer with upside in DJ King only for he/BB to realize that the guy isn't any good ? Should they be held accountable if they traded for someone who doesn't fit the bill - yes ! Should he be inserted into the lineup simply because he is here and he fits a role (though possibly not very effectively) - no. For the record, I don't know that the guy isn't any good -- he hasn't impressed in the limited opportunity, though.

Posted by: MadCap1 | December 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

AADCDERM-DJ King was brought in to protect our star players/give them more confidence. He should be playing.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AADCDERM

you shoulda explained it in your initial post when you said the argument to dress him was ridiculous :)

again, he doesn't just dress v the bad teams so McPhee/BB aren't on your line of thinking.

also, Phi and the Rags are two of the best examples in hockey of teams that DJ SHOULD dress against. They keep their enforcers in the lineup against us for the most part and we're not even a tough team, so why not vice-versa?

Frankly, the way it needs to go is this -- he or a similar player should dress in about 80% of the games. Regardless of the teams you're playing unless they're an overly finesse team. His role shouldn't be just to fight. It should involve a lot of hitting, mixing it up, etc. And for the games v the Pens, Rags, Flyers, Leafs, Thrashers, etc - he should be dressed for each and every battle. Eric Boulton dresses for all the Atlanta games, and he's been considered a marginal player his entire career. Also scored a hat trick the other day.

Our way of thinking about this topic is totally a__backwards.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the game notes PL3 isn't listed for the Devil's

Posted by: Steve_R

and really, even if he was, ftr I'm not an alarmist in thinking that in one given game all hell will break loose and we'll eternally rue the day we didn't dress a King.

But this isn't just one game. This is something a few of us mentioned when the trade went down. That it was unlikely given this org's history with these types of players, that a King type would be utilized effectively. And so far, its played according to that script.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"Can this be as simple as GMGM trading for an enforcer with upside in DJ King only for he/BB to realize that the guy isn't any good ? "

yep. And like you said, they should be held accountable for it. Which as usual, they're not. Like the Corvo trade.

If my GM can't do something as simple as evaluate an nhl enforcer, he has no business being involved in personnel decisions. That's my opinion.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

where are all the goof balls who want to place a 1980's team on the ice because they are supposedly tough, but won't be able to skate in today's NHL? or they are around ;)

Posted by: boomer44 | December 21, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

You're right--they don't develop enforcers. That's why they traded for one. King is rusty, but you talk like his non-use is going to completely ruin him long-term. How is he any different from other low-minute enforcers around the league? He needs to earn his icetime, and to my eyes, he hasn't done much to separate himself.

Your statement of opinion as fact re: Della Rovere is suspect. Neither commodity is a particularly quality one...we traded our known issue (non-team-player) for theirs (coming off of major injury), and both have played out along a predictable path so far. Still--it's going to be years before we know what SDR turns into, and IMO, the jury's still out on DJ.

Posted by: frasnap | December 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The DJK trade occurred before training camp and in no way did the Caps forsee Hendricks. Yes, they invited him to camp, but, they didn't have the intention of signing him, if they did it was for a roll in Hershey not here.
Hendricks played himself onto this squad in training camp. Had he not, we'd see DJK much more often.
The DJK trade is not a bust.

Posted by: KAS2 | December 21, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, at this rate, Bruce or Dean Evason may have to suit up. I wonder who the last NHL player-coach was...

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse