McPhee Doubts Caps Will Play in Winter Classic

Despite numerous reports suggesting that the Caps are a leading candidate to face the Bruins at Fenway Park on Jan. 1, GM George McPhee said he doesn't think his team will be in next year's Winter Classic.

"I have not," McPhee said when asked if he had heard anything from the NHL regarding Washington's candidacy for the event. "You think we would know by this point."

McPhee added: "It doesn't sound like we will be part of it. Maybe that's not a bad thing. When you go, you have to play in front of 40,000 or 50,000 of the other team's fans. ...I would just assume if we were in it that we would know by now."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 22, 2009; 4:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Hire Woods as Assistant Coach
Next: McPhee: 'We'll See if They Can Win a Third Cup Together'

Comments

based upon the mcphee paradigm, this means we're definitely playing the bruins in fenway jan 1.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 22, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1:
lol! no doubt. i'm still hopeful ...

Posted by: Boo- | June 22, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

GMGM: Forever the optimist...grouchy, grouchy. Yea, playing in front of 50,000 fans in enemy territory would suck...forget about the national and international exposure for the team and it's young players!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | June 22, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

sorry - I can't help being sarcastic - still bitter from the Spring.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | June 22, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

There will be at least one Caps fan if they play since I am planning on going! In laws are from SE CT, so we will have to be in the area!

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 22, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

GMGM's remarks just scream "We're Going to Boston!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 22, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

exactly how many times has GMGM done or said something in direct conflict of what actually is going on or eventually happens a week to two weeks later?

Think we are going on at least 2 times within the past month...

So this leads me to believe that essentially Bettman (the devil) gave him direct instructions to not spill the beans upon questioning from the media while all were in Vegas.

Posted by: caps28fan | June 22, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

that being said, time to book flights and hotels :)

Posted by: caps28fan | June 22, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I do think the the NHL put an embargo and discussing the Winter Classic. And since the NHL bylaws allow Bettman to fine anyone for any reason, of course McPhee isn't going to say "Damn right we're going to Boston. Hope we make Timmy run off the ice at the speed of light again. ha ha ha!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 22, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather the Caps miss this one anyway. Wouldn't it be great to see the Caps vs Ottawa (or anyone) on the Mall next year? Sure, you'd have to watch it on TV instead of being there in person. If they could somehow work it out to play on the reflecting pool, it would be worth it to watch on TV and give up being there in person.

Posted by: Padow1 | June 22, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

you know that would be the year DC gets hit by one of those freak 70 degree heat waves.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 22, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Mcphee needs to worry about the lineup on opening day...Let Gary Buttman worry about the Winter Classic...

If we get chosen, Semin will show up and play a drum solo on Chara's head to entertain the mass audience.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 22, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer that we get a Stanley Cup under our belts before we consider participating in a Winter Classic. If anything, I'd want a Winter Classic with the Penguins, start a year off with kicking the crap out of them. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 22, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Start again from 0.

Posted by: Section117 | June 22, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Figures to be the Penguins! All Crosby all the time in this league

Posted by: SeattleRob | June 22, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins played in the first WC game. We ought to let a few years pass before they get another chance; there are a lot of teams in this league. (If we're not invited to Boston, then Washington vs. Ottawa would be worth waiting for.)

Posted by: jen-s | June 22, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

McPhee sounds afraid of having his team play in front of too many opposing fans. Way to toughen up the boyz! lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 22, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I know there would be a few thousand Caps Fans there also! I know I'm going if it's in Boston and I live in Md. Boston is a great place for Caps fans to visit!

Posted by: howleycbk | June 23, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Capitals-Bruins on New Years Day at Fenway Park would be great entertainment. Certainly would be a fun way to ring in the New Year.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 23, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

@jen-s: Washington vs. Ottawa would definitely be an interesting Winter Classic, but I don't think NBC would do it. If it's not Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit, or the New York Rangers, they're not interested.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 23, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: I think it's a little early to worry about the opening-day lineup, with the draft coming up this weekend. Next week we'll see more free agency talk and more hot stove, but for this week, the focus should be and probably is the draft.

There's something to the theory that McPhee denied it, so it'll happen, but remember that we said the same thing of the trade deadline last year, and look what happened. Of course, if you really thought about it, you realized that there just wasn't a lot out there that made sense and of what was, we couldn't squeeze it under the cap. The Flyers over the Caps against Boston just makes no sense history-wise, which has been the focus of the pairings in past years. Neither do the Caps, but at least Bruins/Caps will be a good game, where the Bruins pretty much had their way with the Flyers last year.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 23, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

good. that thing is a complete farce anyway. the NHL should be embarrassed.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 23, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

This is good news! I don't know what else I would do on New Years day considering I always go with my family for a traditional New Years hockey game

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | June 23, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is if we go season ticket holders better have access to tickets. I'd go in a heartbeat.

Posted by: C-A-P-Scapscapscaps | June 23, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

CSN Philly reports that the Flyers are going to play in the Winter Classic, according to league sources...nothing confirmed till July 15th, obviously

Panancio over there is usually correct when his sources come with info

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | June 25, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

If we go to fenway, i'll swallow my hatred of the sox and drag every caps fan i know with me to Boston to represent the RED!!!

Posted by: breaklance | June 26, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse