McPhee on Kronwall: 'We'll Take A Look'

After last night's 5-4 loss to Los Angeles, it was clear the Caps needed to make some changes on defense. And today they did, adding rookie Karl Alzner and picking up Staffas Kronwall off of re-entry waivers from Toronto.

Here are McPhee's comments on the Kronwall move:

"Our pro scouts see some upside in this player," he said. "And as you know, we've been tight on the salary cap all year, and because this is re-entry waivers, it's an inexpensive way to add to your organization."

McPhee estimates that the Caps are on the hook for $87,000 for the rest of the season, or half of Kronwalls remaining salary on a $500,000 contract. The Maple Leafs will pay the other half.

"He played real well in his first year pro in North American, but then he's had some setbacks with injuries the past few years," McPhee said. "He's a puck moving defenseman who might have some upside. So we'll take a look."

The addition of Alzner and Kronwall gives the Caps with eight healthy defensemen. Kronwall, however, won't be here in time for tomorrow's game against Florida because of immigration issues.

Based on today's practice, it looks like John Erskine might be a scratch since he was paired with Brian Pothier.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 6, 2009; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Going With Neuvirth, Varlamov (Updated)
Next: Odds And Ends From KCI

Comments

Good thing there wasn't a chat today...

Posted by: Section117 | February 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Why not, he's gotta be better than some of our others

Posted by: gtydings | February 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Is there a possibility Kronwall might get some time in Hershey before being called up to get some work in??

Posted by: dcox50 | February 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I remember Kronwall when he was with the Leafs. Big dude, but not terribly exciting. Worth a look for $87K. Mike Green's gas bill in the Lambo is probably more than that.

Good to see Erskine grabbing some press box. The picutre on Sports 1 (Erskine on the ice, Kopitar out ahead of him), needs no narrative.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

from prev thread: Look at big Swede Kronvall's 15 minutes of fame in his rookie year (if you haven't yet )))):

Seems like Tarik changing threads faster than I am posting the link. :))

BTW, his bro Nicklas of Detroit Red Wings is very injury prone, is it the same for Staffan?

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 6, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Brought over...Tarik is busy.

Hey all, sidenote.

I think I can roll a suite for 12 tomorrow night for the Panthers. It looks probable - are there eleven others that want in at $42 per? People could actually yell at each other in person...great fun. Maybe everyone wears a nametag with their blog nom de guerre. I think I'll have two parking passes for anyone who might need them. Let me know here if you're interested and I'll see if I can close the deal. No serial killers! Or, email me at gotodd_99 at yahoo dot com. I might spring for the opening beers.

Posted by: saintex | February 6, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This is where I make the obligatory observation that Laich and Kozlov are not skating.

We're not keeping all these D obviously. I'm curious to see what happens.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: I'm in on that suite deal! You can find me at (my username here) at gmail dot com.

Re: Slapshot - yeah, shoot me now.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

1) OK, that explains Kronwell, but why elevate Alzner at the same time? Going to sit TWO current blue liners at a time?

Posted by: fauxrumors | February 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Last night's game still infuriates me!! This is what happens when we have such a great and talented team and games like that happen, my expectations are so high that I just cannot accept games like that! Hurry up Saturday!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Vote for the Capitals as your favorite local sports team! The poll is from Fox5 News. Go to myfoxdc.com and scroll down the page. The poll will be on the right...right now it is 42% Caps 42% redskins 14% united.

Posted by: capsnumber1 | February 6, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: _stevo | February 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

ERKSINE IS SCRATCHED. ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME. HE'S THE ONLY GUY WHO PUT A BODY ON HIM. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY SCHULTZ, WHO MOVES SLOWER THAN AN OIL TANKER IS ON THE ICE!!!!!

Posted by: blanknerc | February 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you blanknerc. For the life of me I do not know what they see in Schultz. I thought Erskine has played better than Schultz, Morrisonn, and Jurcina lately.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | February 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I have been holding my opinions on Schultz, feeling like he has been bitten by the Larry Murphy bug. But after last night, seeing his inability to hold a puck in the zone when the damn thing was travelling all of 5 miles per hour, on several occasions, makes me break my silence. Sit him and Erskine, put in Alzner and Kronwall.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Larry Murphy, yes. I remember him, the guy the fans couldn't wait to get rid of, and went on to become a perenial all-star in the 90's. What did we get in return? Bob Rouse?

Posted by: opita1 | February 6, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

We needed a physical defenseman at the time. Even though Murphy went on to become a perennial all-star, it still was a good trade for us. We could use Bob Rouse now.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | February 6, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Schultz and Mo have been terrible - I'll say trade them for draft pick.

Posted by: Tondi | February 6, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we also pick up a winger in that trade? Dino Somethingorother...can't remember...

Posted by: caps_fan_in_santa_monica | February 6, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

And traded Mike Gartner in the process.

Posted by: Section117 | February 6, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall should be a nice pickup. He was really good for Djurgården in Sweden where he played on the same team but not with his brother Niklas. He is big but definately better skilled than Erskine. Since coming to North America hes struggled a bit but Im excited!

Posted by: musicburgler | February 6, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

We should bring back the "Larry Murphy siren chant" for Schultz! I miss those days!

Posted by: SkinsDiesel | February 6, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot it was Gartner/Murphy for Dino/Rouse. One of the greatest trades in Caps history.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | February 6, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse