McPhee on Nyls: 'There's some things that are going on' (updated)

GM George McPhee acknowledged that Michael Nylander cleared waivers this afternoon, but he declined to shed much more light on the awkward situation other than to hint that a deal could be in the works.

Earlier in the day, Coach Bruce Boudreau said that Nylander will not be returning to the Caps. McPhee, though, stopped short of confirming that.

"Some decisions have been made," McPhee said. "As I said, I would rather elaborate on it tomorrow."

Update: I'm hearing from two sources that Nylander is weighing an offer from a KHL club. One said the team is believed to be Dynamo Minsk.

"We're still exploring our options," the GM added. "I would rather not elaborate right now. It's probably a better opportunity to talk about it tomorrow. We would like to see how things go today, and then we can discuss it tomorrow."

Pressed on Nylander's status, McPhee said, "There's some things that are going on and I'd rather see what develops, and then we can talk about it tomorrow. I would expect that we would have something to talk about tomorrow."

Tomorrow, McPhee is going to be in Toronto with 29 other general managers for the GM meetings.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Caps have a deal in the works. But McPhee steadfastly deflected any and all questions this afternoon.

Asked if Nylander was still in town, McPhee said, "As far as I know."

Asked if he has played his last game for the Capitals, McPhee said, "Not necessarily. We'll see. We'll see."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 9, 2009; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: 'Probably a week'
Next: McPhee encouraged by Ovechkin's improvement

Comments

GMGM always plays his card close to his chest.....

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 9, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarity GMGM!!! :-P

Posted by: hbcapsfan | November 9, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

why am I always first now.... i rarely post.

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Probably waiting on a call from Sweden the way the internet is blowing up the Forsberg rumors?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So what you are saying is that we will learn something tomorrow?

Posted by: CapsChick | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hasta la bye-bye Nyls.

Posted by: VooDooChile987 | November 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Come on Tarik... Get on some of those sources you have, and break some news!!!

Posted by: matucker | November 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Toronto? Kaberle? Forsberg? Where are all the inside sources?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I can safely say that he skated this morning at a rink in Maryland...So yes....he's in town still.

But that's all I can say.....

Posted by: rdiehljr | November 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

GMGM always plays his card close to his chest.....

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 9, 2009 2:03 PM

Those cards are inside his lungs.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Highly likely that one of the following scenarios happens:

1) Nylander ends up on the AHL Bears, and never gets a recall, thereby deferring his salary back to the Caps cap room, even though the organization pays him his full NHL contract. If this happens for '09-'10, in all likelihood, his remaining 1-year will get bought out by the Caps.

2) Nylander goes to the Bears, and gets a recall because he'll be subject to recall waivers. If this case happens, in all likelihood McPhee would have suspected a hurting team like DET, NYR, or CHI to pick him up. That would split the remaining salary due between the Caps and the claiming team. It would also release the Caps liability for next season outright.

3) A transfer to EUR, KHL, or other non-pro team in North America. Whereby the Caps agree to a financial compensation with Nylander (not necessarily a buy-out), and any of his existing contract does not count against the cap. His last year would be up in the air...but most likely bought out.

4) Most unlikely option seems like a trade to another NHL squad, although it could happen. The Caps need some later round picks for 2010 draft, and maybe could jettison some other spare parts in the org. w/ Nyls. Not sure what you get for him, since no one picked him up outright on waivers...

5) Last option is he gets a recall and plays for the Caps...but I think you are more likely seeing Joe Beninatti play goal for the Caps than see Nyls get a sweater...

I cannot WAIT for tomorrow now...the drama is killing me.

Good work pursuing this Tarik.!

Posted by: netminder71 | November 9, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Here is my guess as to what happened. McPhee has a trade in place for Nylander. Nylander doesn't really want to go to the team but will. He asked to be put on waivers to see if another team would bite first. No team did so now whatever trade was in place will occur tonight or tomorrow morning at the GM meetings in Toronto. Just a guess, I am probably way wrong.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

A flurry of blog posts.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The best DREAM scenario would be:

Nylander to Detroit, with Jeff Schultz and the Caps 2nd round pick in 2010

FOR

Niklas Kronwall

That would releive us of about $6M in cap, and Kronwall's avg. is $3+...

I know they'd NEVER do it...but I can dream.

Posted by: netminder71 | November 9, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I am about half way through Bruce's book,
everyone here should read it, great enlightenment on "his system", and his thoughts on almost all the individals on the Caps, especially the D.

Posted by: billd2 | November 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

DET, CHI, and even NYR would have to do something (trade-wise) to free up enough cap space to eat Nylander for us. Even if he were claimed on recall waivers, a lot of teams cannot take that hit.

DET has cap space now but only because Franzen, Fillpula, Lilja, Williams are all on IR...they wouldn't want to absorb Nylander unless they felt they could move him when they got healthy.

CHI has NO cap room, and even with Toews out, they'd have to deal Patrick Sharp, Cam Barker, or another piece to come close to affording Nylander on a half-salary re-entry waiver claim. We can rule CHI out probably.

NYR has zero space as well, even if Drury is out for a while, they couldn't take him...

...so I am not sure what it brewing...besides out of country...

Posted by: netminder71 | November 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

One of these things happens:

1. Nylander skates here.
2. Nylander skates elsewhere.
3. Nylander does not skake.

@netminder, I'm just kidding with you....

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

skake?

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

circles

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Gyus gossip here about what went wrong with Nyls like they were the Wives of the DCMetro.

Posted by: Rocc00 | November 9, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Nyls' offer is for a European team. We will have nothing in return except Cap space which is better than nothing.

Posted by: atybat | November 9, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

netminder71 I really hope that trade doesn't happen. I say this as a fan of both the Caps and the Wings.

For all of the talk about how bad Shultz is he is great for the Caps because he is a decent player for almost no cap space.

My worst nightmare in this whole thing is that the Caps finally get rid of this dead weight and I get stuck with him again in Detroit.

As for Kronwall he is a great open ice hitter but he also gets a lot on minor penalities, he is currently tied for the most PIM on Detroit, which would not be good for the team that already has the 5th most PK attempts on the season and the 21st best PK. Last year when the team was second in the west he was only a plus 2 and this year is a minus 1.

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I think what you should do, is to spell out exactly what waiver-status means, as far as the options/implications for the team and the player.

The effect of the No-Movement-Clause is very confusing to the fans, and you can probably get the info from a very good source..

Posted by: VladG | November 9, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ben Clymer plays for Dynamo Minsk. Hmmm...

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | November 9, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

As a long time Caps fan here is a scenario that really could happen: Nylander goes to Detroit where he is the playoff MVP and beats the Caps for the Stanley Cup...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 9, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

T-pain,

Do not under any circumstances mess this up. We already know you're a good reporter.

Let the deal happen. Then report on it. No need to go snooping around.

If this falls through because we are too eager then it will cost us the Cup.

Just play poker tonight and forget about it til tomorrow......

Posted by: CF11555 | November 9, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond
That is what being a long time Caps fan was all about, waiting for the worst possible thing to happen, and it always did. But that's what I like about this team more than anything else, reason for optimism.

Posted by: real8 | November 9, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@ rbc RVA
Gonchar is the only big-time Cap I can think of that ever played on a team that knocked us out of the playoffs. I think you are overstating things.

Re: HockeyBuzz
Steven Hindle just totally pushed me out of his corner today. When he insisted that there was a direct connection between Nylander needed to go and Forsberg wanting to come, he just blew all his credibility with me. 8 out of 10 barnyard animals know Nyls' contract money is going to buy a DEFENSEman who can be on the ice for every one of Green's minutes as an OFFENSEman.

Posted by: large23220 | November 9, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@ large23220

Larry Murphy was a Pen when they knocked the Caps out of the playoffs in 1991 & 1992... and of course they went on to win the Cup back to back.

Posted by: joek443 | November 9, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

This is my comment.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | November 9, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

My previous comment is about as informative as GMGM's comments on Nylander.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | November 9, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Why would he skate in Maryland? He's still technically part of team roster wise, and the Caps have that sheet at KCI for a big chunk of the day, so why not skate after practice? I know its probably akward, but why bother skating at Cabin John or somewhere?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 9, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Forgot about Murphy. You're right.

But I still stand by what I said.

I have been disappointed by Andrew Brunette's contributions to other teams, but he's never hurt us. I am sad that Jeff Halpern wasn't retained, but same thing. I am still pissed that we didn't do what it took to keep Witter here, but seriously, he's on the Island. I was sad when Bondra, Hunter, and and Kono went, but none of them ever hurt us either. It was just sad.

And Jersey only knocked us out of the playoffs before Scott Stevens left. But I've got to qualify that one by saying that the Murrays' inability to keep Stevens in town was maybe the greatest failure in franchise history.

Posted by: large23220 | November 9, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree it's a completely awkward situation...but it also doesn't add up. If Nylander is not skating up to par, and he too costly for the Caps for how he plays then that's the overhead's vault. Not Nylander.

It just seems like he's being bullied and I feel bad. It's painful to read about. I'm a Caps fan and I love reading about them, but the whole Nylander thing doesn't make sense to me. Just because the Caps are comparatively a "big happy family" as Tracey Hamilton wrote, doesn't mean what they are doing to Nylander doesn't count.

I can't imagine what might have been said by him that would cause them to embarrass him by treating him the way they are. Shifting him around and repeatedly reminding him they feel he isn't good enough. Perhaps he's overpaid, but aren't they all?

Posted by: anon94 | November 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

1. Sit Nyls
2. Waive Nyls
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 9, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"I've got to qualify that one by saying that the Murrays' inability to keep Stevens in town was maybe the greatest failure in franchise history."

Actually, that's all on Pollin. Stevens is the one guy he admitted to refusing to re-sign over money issues (though there were countless examples of that from Moses Malone on).

Posted by: one2 | November 10, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse