McPhee: Trade Market Remains Quiet

Before last night's loss, I spoke to GM George McPhee about a lot of things, including whether he's considered making a trade to improve his struggling and injury-plagued team, or just to shake things up.

Here's what he had to say on the subject:

"You would like to help your team, but has there been a trade in this league since opening night? We call other GMs every week to see what's going on. And there's not a lot going on in this league. I don't know if it's turned into the NFL, but it's really hard to make a trade right now."

He added: "It's the cap and free agency. There's a lot more free agency now. If you've got a guy who has one year [remaining on his contract] and the other guy has two years, it deters you from doing things. Teams are also trying to fill their needs during free agency in the summer and are reluctant to give up [assets] during the season."

So, unless something changes in the near future, it sounds like it's going to be up to the players already in the dressing room to get things turned around in Washington.

Note: The Caps are not skating this morning and I'm traveling. But if there's any news, I'll be sure to update before the opening face-off tonight.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 6, 2007; 9:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Godfrey Signs Entry Level Deal
Next: Bourque Recalled From Hershey

Comments

Fire Hanlon and gmgm (no caps for him) :O)
Get a new bench boss, yes, even Hartley, but I'd prefer Burns or even Quinn

Posted by: Jim | November 6, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

From the previous post:

"After watching the first two periods of the Caps game, I was in a foul mood. And then I went to the Police concert with some close friends."

- Ted Leonsis

It says something when even the owner cannot bear to watch his own team!

Ted, DO SOMETHING!!!

Posted by: Finn | November 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Does not this condemn McPhee at this point even more than Hanlon? If Glen has to work with what he's got, can everything be about him? I think George could have done a little more with this team in the FA market. how about a legitimate RW and one more seasoned D?
I fear that this season is "locked in" for the duration, and that means more of the same.

Posted by: Mark T. | November 6, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It would not bother me if they cleaned house and let both Hanlon and McPhee go. The problem is, does Ted have the guts to make the move? Since buying the team he hasn't had to fire anyone.

Posted by: El Kabong | November 6, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

There are moves that have been made. I can't find it right now, but there was a trade in Canada I believe involving Ottowa.

If you're willing to give up something, you can usually trade. I don't buy this garbage about FA and the cap as reasons why noone is trading. He just hasn't sweetened the pot enough. Of course, right now our pot is pretty sour.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 6, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@norske

Yeah! I can post!

Yesterday, I tried to thank you for correcting me. You're right. The entry-level contract is a 2-way deal. Thanks for the correction.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 6, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I think getting rid of GMGM would be a mistake. He's done a decent job of drafting (could be better, but then how much is him and how much is the scouting staff?) and I think has done a good job in trades and in the free agent market. Things got to be such a mess with the Jagr extension and subsequent moves (driven be Leonsis) and I think that GMGM at least deserves the chance to see what happens when he's had the chance to put together a team

Posted by: DMG | November 6, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I understand that with the cap issues of contract length have become an issue as McPhee mentioned but isn't there still the possibility of trading a draft pick for a player with only a year or two left on his deal?

IMO the trade market is quiet because the cap has increased parity enough that very few teams think they're out of it thus far. Look at teams that have been bad in recent year - L.A., Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus. They're all off to pretty good starts. The only team that is both sporting a bad record and had to have low expectations coming into the season is Phoenix.

Posted by: DMG | November 6, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

gmgm (lower case because there should be no more capitals for you!) Very good Jim!

BTW, gmgm maybe the reason no one will trade w/ you is they realize you draft people who are high on your list and low on their's. (Other than OV.) And the Free Agents you sign are other team's cast offs. (Other than Nylander.) Face it Jorge, you have nothing to deal. This is because of the dismantle job you and Dick P. have done over the past ten years. You both have gotten rid of all of David Poile's players, mostly for picks which you and your staff made, and nobody wants what you have. I take that back, Ollie is still here. However after seeing him left out to dry last night, I wonder how long he will last. Is he the next one to go on your list?
I've said it before and I will say this again, until a legitimate front office is in place for the Capitals, Ted and the boys should institute a player transaction freeze. No player trades. This front office has done enough damage. Give them a goal (ie. Above .500 by a certain date), give them a deadline, and make them work with what they have already done. And while this is going on, you may want to look for replacements. See earlier posts for replacement suggestions.
When will the fans that show to the games start wearing paper bags on their heads?

Posted by: someone else who knows | November 6, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Blaming McPhee for not making desperation trades just strikes me as foolish. The problem isn't with the roster; it's with the coaching. The Caps have the personnel right now to be competitive, but the coaches are not using the players well. No possible trade will fix this until the coaching is taken care of.

Posted by: norske | November 6, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

hanlon and gmgm are in this together. if one goes, so does the other!

Posted by: jon | November 6, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Time to dump Hanlon and get Dale Hunter back where he belongs; now, behind the Caps bench! I know it's in the air "Draft Hunter" NOW

Posted by: hkyplr96 | November 8, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse