McPhee: Two-game suspension 'excessive'

George McPhee was a guest on DC101's Elliot in the Morning today, and the Caps' GM made it clear that he respectfully disagrees with the NHL's decision to suspend Alex Ovechkin for two games.

"It was a five-minute major, we had to kill off a five-minute penalty, and we lost the best player in the game for the rest of the game," McPhee said. "We only had him for three minutes of ice time, and I thought that was enough, that it should have been left there. And to tack on two more games I thought was excessive."

Head on over to the Bog for a full transcription of the interview, minus -- thankfully -- McPhee's comment-less comments on Michael Nylander.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 3, 2009; 11:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Ovechkin 'not going to change'
Next: Varlamov appears set to start vs. Florida

Comments

No comments? Everyone must be as subdued about this as Ovi.

Go Caps, 3 in a row over the panties w/o Ovi.

Posted by: ds_kelly | December 3, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay Applebaum:

Thank you very much for the link and keep up the great work ... :-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 3, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I think he got one game for the knee on knee, and another for his accumulation of majors. I say it's fair...sucks not to have him vs Philthy though.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 3, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Nylander! huge audible sigh...WTF!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The comments by the Pittsburgh players (Orpick & Crosby) are interesting. I think they are intended for the NHL to further clamp down on Ovechkin with the goal of eventually neutralizing him. Or, at the least making him less effective. We shall see how this all plays out down the road. I personally would like to see Ovi back off a little during the regular season. He can turn it on again during the playoffs.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Should've been 3-5.

NHL's preferential treatment has to stop. Why does it have to begin with Ovi? To shut up the peanut gallery.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

It might be fair in a vacuum, but it certainly is not fair compared to how other infractions are treated. It wasn't even the worst hit of the game (see the non called boarding on perreault)

Posted by: mikebrady1 | December 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:44 AM |

Orpik, who I love as a hockey player by the way, has as many questionable hits as Ovechkin does.

But for some reason, he feels like he is always entitled to share his opinion on the dirtiness of other players. Get over it.

Crosby, who I also love as a hockey player, isn't voted the #1 whiner in the NHL by players for no reason. Shut up.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it was a 5-minute major let alone a suspension.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Anyone knows if Semin is playing tonight?

Posted by: guer_j | December 3, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@guer_j - Corey Masisak over at the Times says he is...

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it was a 5-minute major let alone a suspension.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:48 AM |

Which one? The Kaleta hit? I agree.

The knee-on-knee? Whether it's intentional or not (I go with the latter), it deserved 5/10 easy.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

someone said Semin was reportedly playing tonight. FTR, I think the boarding on Perrault did land someone in the box... wasn't it indeed Gleason???

Posted by: Chad8 | December 3, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Richmondphil's next goal is to have the NHL become a two hand touch league. Hands off! The rinks are too small and the players are bigger/stronger/faster. Get over it.

Posted by: joshu1 | December 3, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@irtr

You'd probably know this... was Semin ever placed on IR/LTIR?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking the Gleason hit and with the benefit of looking at slow motion replays. Admittedly Ovi's leg was out but it was out there as Gleason made his move to the inside. I think it was incidental contact really.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@guer_j

GMGM confirmed on Elliot in the Morning that Semin will be in the lineup tonight.

Posted by: JD09 | December 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshu1 | December 3, 2009 11:52 AM |

LOL. Great inference, Kripke.

You must be new here, let me show you around...

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:59 AM |

I agree.

It's still worthy of a major, misconduct, and suspension.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@Chad8 - Yes, someone went to the box for boarding Perreault. It was a two-minute minor penalty, issued to Gleason.

@richmondphil - To the best of my knowledge, he was not; that would have made the major Caps news outlets, and probably been all over Twitter, and I did not see anything to that effect.

However, Knuble was.

@FloridaCapsFan - The Gleason hit from Ovechkin was incidental contact from one angle, definite kneeing from another, and it all depends on where the referee was standing. I can see arguing it either way, but I totally agree with Ted.

Of course, I also agree with suspending Ovechkin across the Flyers game on Saturday. They'd TARGET that knee injury of his like it's cool. This forces him out of the lineup.

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Phil (from other thread):

I think it's totally reasonable backie asks for Kopitar money 6.8. I think also totally reasonable the club offers 6.3 (Kane and Toews). The 4 players are pretty close. Fly in the ointment is Colorado is paying Statsny 6.6 coming out of his entry-level, and I didn't think he was nearly as good. Do you have an opinion there? Pretty simple though to average them all and then 6.5 is the answer.

JSchon: Do you have any opinion on Flash at 2.5-3M? I went through all the players when analyzing Semin and Backstrom but it was too much work with Flash.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 3, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@guer_j
McPhee said on Elliot that Semin is playing tonight.

@richmondphil
Semin was on the IR, not LTIR. It had been retroactive and he could have played some time last week if his wrist had been healed.

Posted by: Steakum | December 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should print out some of these posters and bring them to hand out at the game tonight. Thanks to Japer's Rink for posting it and getting the "Free Alex" movement started.

Let's support our guy!

Posted by: irockthered | December 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 11:59 AM

I forgot to add that Ovi's upper body was in front of his legs. Gleason avoided the upper body but not the leg.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

New thread. BTW, GMGM is coming up next on Mike Wise's radio show.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 3, 2009 12:05 PM |

Statsny, along with Kopitar, signed with bottom-dwelling teams. Again, the intangibles will alter these contracts. Statsny's Dad also played for COL. Don't know how much of an effect it had on the signing.

For example, Antropov was given 4+ from the Thrashers. Antropov would have not received that price from any Cup contending team, even if that team could afford 4 mil.

Maybe I am just trying to be optimistic..keeping Backsie around 6. It's what I hoping for and what I have him pinned at.

Care to comment on the Olesz thing? Olesz is a bit overpaid, so I think the price seems fair. But if Flash nets 25-30, that's something Olesz has never done.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered
Caps did release that they put Semin on IR retro to the last game he had played before Ovi came back, so it was 7 days, I think, which meant he could have played last week if better. They did it to have room to call up someone. Forget who now with the revolving door.

Posted by: Steakum | December 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

what is GMGM supposed to say?? personally, i think he and OV are wrong. this thing has so been beat. stop whining about it already

Posted by: doughless | December 3, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Posted by: Steakum | December 3, 2009 12:06 PM |

Thank you for that, my friend.

Anyone want to take a crack at the lines tonight?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Which one? The Kaleta hit? I agree.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 3, 2009 11:51 AM

Wasn't there a knee on knee hit on Green against the Islanders? My memory is fuzzy but I don't think that even warranted a penalty.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh players whining and commenting on something Ovie did? Complaining? No way! They never do that! *eye roll*

Posted by: southside721 | December 3, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

They were clean hits with unfortunate, utterly unpredictable outcomes. Get over yourselves! The penalties both times were excessive.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | December 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns: I completely agree with you "But I despise how he has become the scapegoat for so called "dirty" which is an entirely different word from "reckless" aggressive play on ice." Nothing could be further from the truth. Ovie is such a team player and so full of child-like enthusiasm for the sport. He epitomizes sportsmanship. He is as far from "dirty" or vindictive as you can get. But because of his brilliance and boldness, he is targeted. Poor Boudreau fell into the trap by using the word "reckless" which everyone repeated in very different contexts.

Ovechkin too becomes more of a target by giving the impression that he is defiant. In reality he is, as someone said, politically naive. He is honest and spontaneous and is not giving "media-savvy" and carefully screened answers so unfortunately he fuels the twisted rumors and name-calling.

Meanwhile, bland and sanitized Cindy always has something extremely nasty to say about Ovie under his supposedly measured reactions. I can't believe he said that some people learn from suspensions and some don't. I assume he is the good boy who would have thanked NHL and humbly accepted his punishment. I have NEVER heard Ovie say anything mean and cutty about anybody.

As long as Ovie performs on the level, he will shut everyone's mouth. I worry a little about his naivete and even innocence in some ways.

Posted by: caraveli | December 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I am with mama Ovechkina: Let them (rival teams) wear glasses.

Posted by: caraveli | December 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The article yesterday from Toronto interesting: Ovie hits the people that are out there to hit him.

There is also this: Russians have been called sissies, they've been run hard at in rinks for almost 20 years. It seems Ovie's got a chip on his shoulder. I think that he's got a point but he's addressing it the wrong way. I dislike Orpik and would love to see Ovie get a good lick in on him, but I do agree that if he's taking ten strides before he hits someone, if he's covering fifty feet in his runs, then it's getting excessive. And how can someone do that and keep his structure, his team's structure, working?

For the NHL to be world class, a Swede and a Russian - playing their game, not some Calgary game - should be as comfortable out there as a Canadian. It's not there yet. Ovie may be showing the world that Russians can dish it with the best of him, but that's a different program than winning the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 3, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Cindy deserves to be interviewed on a Washington DC news program during a hockey segment and then forced to watch his hitting someone in the nuts and pulling someone's sweater over their head at the start of a face-off and then asked if his actions were reckless and appropriate.

The d-bag.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 3, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

New in the sense that I typically read these comments rather than add anything, however, not new in the sense of being around hockey and the Capitals for a long, long time. My point would be that while I'll admit Ovie should have gotten a game or two (which he did) 5 or 10 games would have been excessive. There was no intent in his hit. Ovie tried to hit him with his upperbody, he got out of position and because of that his knee made contact. He plays on the edge and sometimes he's going to go over the edge. This league is a joke. They're suspending Ovie but letting other players who retaliate after a clean hit skate away Scott Free. Makes no sense.

Posted by: joshu1 | December 4, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse