Melrose Hired in Tampa; Clymer Bought Out (Updated)

Missed a couple of noteworthy developments while I was out this afternoon. So sorry if you've already seen them:

ESPN's NHL analyst Barry Melrose will be introduced tomorrow as Tampa Bay's new coach, according to this report. If that sounds familiar it's because the rumor has been floating around for a few weeks.

Melrose has been an ESPN analyst full-time since 1996. He had previously worked as a studio analyst for ESPN's Emmy Award-winning 1994 Stanley Cup playoff coverage and for ESPN and ESPN2 during the 1995 Stanley Cup playoffs.
Melrose was the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings from 1992-95. In his debut season, his team advanced to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in franchise history.

As a reporter, I'm going to miss John Tortorella. He was never afraid to speak his mind (and drop a curse word or three during a postgame press conference).

Also, the Caps have placed Ben Clymer on waivers with the intention of buying out the former winger. No surprise there. Clymer, who spent all of last season in Hershey, is scheduled to make $1.1 million next season.

Update: Should Clymer clear waivers, his cap hit will be just under $250,000 next season and $366,667 in 2009-10.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 23, 2008; 4:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eminger Happy To Be a Flyer
Next: Clymer Bought Out

Comments

First for the first time!
Some expected news, but overall, Tarik, you're doing an awesome job!

Posted by: Dmitry | June 23, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong, but a buyout means the player still gets two thirds of the amount remaining on his contract, correct?

Posted by: Sombrero guy | June 23, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I would think Torts will be back in the league sooner rather than not. I do like him for entertainment falue when the camera zooms in on him when a penalty is called on his team, lol.

If he can stop using the press to throw players under the bus he'd be a better coach for it.

Posted by: usiel | June 23, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

This doesnt open up cap space does it?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm crazy bored... So let me put on my prediction cap on...

GMGM does not seek any UFA defensemen. He said that they arent carrying 8 next season. That leaves Poti, Schultz, Jurcina and Erskine signed through at next season.

Pothier probably is done, so for this I will assume that he is.

RFA's
Green - GMGM said he will match, and he should and I think he will. 3YR $15.75M

Morrisonn - GMGM will get this done too. 3YR $5M.

That makes the pairings as such.

Green/Morrisonn $6.92M
Poti/Schultz $4.25M
Jurcina/Erskine $1.418M
Alzner $.850M

GMGM, BB, TL are hoping that the defense gels and shows more of the promising defense displyed mid way through the season as opposed to early or in the playoffs. If they need to a move can be made at the deadline.

Posted by: JSchon | June 23, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Say it anit so about Clymer!!!!!!

Posted by: GO SOX GO | June 23, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Those pairings are a bit scary to me. I can't say that GMGM's vision of hoping that these guys gel together during the season and become a good group is entirely encouraging. Maybe he's looking at 2010 & 2011 as the real runs to the Cup hoping these guys will become real good defensemen in the next couple years. I can't really decide if I like this move (of no moves) or think GMGM should go after another established blueliner.

Posted by: Moose33 | June 23, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify that after the first line, the D pairings looks scary (in a bad way).

Posted by: Moose33 | June 23, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I still don't see what the hurry is in getting Alzner here...he should spend atleast 1/2 the season in Hershey...if not all of next year.

Spend a few bucks...and get rid of Erskine for gods sake.

Posted by: Yosh | June 23, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon

Alzner's Cap Hit is 1.675 because of his potential bonuses. You have to factor in all potential bonuses into a players Cap Hit.

Courtesy of NHLSCAP.com

"When teams calculate how much room they have under the cap to add players, any potential bonuses that a player can earn must be included in the player's cap count. Teams may exceed the upper limit by up to 7.5% in order to pay such bonuses (for 2007-08, teams could effectively have an Upper Limit of $54,072,500) with the provision that any team doing this will have its upper limit reduced for the following season by the amount it exceeds the current year's upper limit. If the bonus is not paid, no penalty is imposed. As the season progresses, if a player becomes ineligible for a bonus it will come off the player's cap count and that amount will become available to the team - but only for that season."

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 23, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon,

Wishful thinking on that Green offer sheet. It's likely going to be a 5 year deal, certainly no less than 4. If the rumors are correct it will land somewhere around an average of $5.8M to $6M per. On Morrisson, I think you've got the term covered but I'll be shocked if he gets less than something in the $2.2M to $2.5M per year range.

Any predictions on the Laich offer sheet? Word on the street is there's one in the works and it could be incredibly ridiculous...

Posted by: StikSav | June 23, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Any chance StikSav is the agent for Green and/or Mo?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 23, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Judging by Bradley's offering sheet, i think i'm going to be way dissapointed in Laich's.

Posted by: Scott | June 23, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Someone much smarter than me pointed out that Green will not likely want to delve into any of his UFA years with this next contract. So either 3/4 years of much much longer 7/8.

I believe him only because I'm not that smart and it sounds good.

Posted by: JSchon | June 23, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

You know when Melrose was confirmed in Tampa, Tort's old hair stylist breathed a sigh of relief. Poor guy probably thought he'd have to find a new gig.
Japers' has an interesting bit on the curse that seems to have befallen the four guys who unveiled the new sweaters. Bad coincidence or is it really a curse? Considering the Pens' unveiling four seem to also be having issues, I'm going to beg that Ovie never unveils any new jerseys.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 23, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused.

Why doesn't buying someone out entirely erase their cap hit? Not that Clymer's hit is anything to worry about, but that seems strange that it would cost anything. Unless, you're paying for the advantage of not having that cap hit on the roster, which I guess makes sense.

An official ruling on this, anyone?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 23, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought nothing was going on... and miss something. Funny, I was thinking about Clymer this afternoon. I'd like the true Clymer story to be revealed. SOmethings up there. He was banished to purgatory. He wasn't great but not a single team wants him? Tarik, whats Clymers rep? What makes a seasoned guy not get a job?

Posted by: oo7 | June 23, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

By the way, from what I heard, Melrose was a joke of a coach and lucked out with a decent team and Wayne freaking Gretzky. He only coached one year for a reason. He used to bring motivational speakers in and other wonky stuff. He's a clown. ONly his friend would hire him. Its gonna be fun beating him.

Posted by: oo7 | June 23, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

oo7,
Were you expecting any different from Melrose?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 23, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Alzner will not be a spare defenseman. He'll play nearly every game.

Posted by: Caps 423 | June 23, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Sami gets a spot, but it looks like he's not gonna sadly.

Posted by: Jordan | June 23, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I could take the Kolzig thing...but now Clyer.

MIDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chief's Mom | June 23, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

From Ted's Take:

"Now we have a busy week trying to re-sign many players. It isn't for a lack of trying to sign these players but their agents like to keep things going to the last minute and use the July 1st deadline for free agency as a tool to negotiate which is their right. I know some of you are impatient with us but our non-activity isn't for a lack of trying and, frankly, we don't need to be reminded that we have players to re-sign. We know - we know.

We will work hard over the next week to get things settled down then we will go into free agency although I doubt we will be active at all. We have a lot of depth right now. We have perhaps too many players already on our roster and we are pushing the salary cap as it is let alone our budget. So don't get disappointed if you don't see us being active in free agency. We are more focused on keeping our team together and we have big positional players to resign and get back under contract."

Posted by: Boo! | June 23, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@Drinkingpartner

FAQ for buyouts

I assume the reason it still counts against the Cap is so that teams with more money at their disposal are not able to abuse the buyouts as an easy way to get rid of problem contracts, and consequently make teams think twice before offering big money to risky guys. Just another form of "cost certainty" unless I am missing something...

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 23, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Is there any chance we go after Ray Emery?

Posted by: Danny | June 23, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

none

Posted by: oo7 | June 23, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

The defensive logjam is starting to ease up a bit. Pothier is a huge question mark right now, as there has been no news about his condition which means one of two things:

1) Nothing has changed (which is bad, as then he can't play)

2) Something has changed and the news isn't good (Meaning he may never play again.)

If there was good news and progress, they'd talk about it.

Right now the Caps (with Pothier) have 9 NHL-calibre defensemen: Poti, Pothier, Jurcina, Green, Morrisonn, Schultz, Erskine, Lepisto and Alzner. I would suspect that Alzner will make the Caps this fall (he's ready for the NHL now, he was a man playing against boys in the World Juniors last winter). My thought would be to pair Alzner with Poti, keep Green and Morrisonn together (limiting their 5-on-5 time so Green is ready for the power play and Morrisonn for the PK). The #5 D man is Schultz, who is there to add to the PK. Jurcina, and Erskine will battle for the #7 spot, and either the #6 if Lepisto isn't quite ready yet, or being waived, if Lepisto is ready (I think he is...)

Posted by: Mike L. | June 23, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

zero chance we take a chance on Emery.

and Nashville signed Dan Ellis for 2 years, 3.5 million. Granted he only has had one good season but that is pretty cheap for a guy who led the league in Save %.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 23, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

I completely understand what you are saying about Green not wanting to go into the first year of free agency. However that's what he has to give up to get the offer sheet. And if asked he'll have to give in as the rumors that are floating around have the offer about $1.8M higher per year than the Caps are offering now. He'll give up one year of UFA status to get an extra $7M or so in salary over the life of the contract, most likely (plus he's got to give something to get that offer sheet).

@Sombrero Guy,
No, unfortunately though I wish I were the agent for Green and Morrisson I am not...

Posted by: StikSav | June 23, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief,

Sorry your envy sends you where it does.

Sorry you get jealous when you see a dog lick himself. Bet you wish you could do that, don't you?

Guess what...YOU CAN! May tick the dog off, though.

Go bash Emminger on the Flyers blog, already!

Posted by: OleMiss | June 23, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Chief,
You are Beautiful, simply beautiful! Midget has yet another pathetic draft. I really liked Gus Sr. however his back cut his career short, and now Midget trades a pick to move up and grab Gus Jr's back problem which other teams didn't considered until the second round. I hope this kid makes it through the development camp. TSN said it best. Now some of gmgm's bad contracts are coming to surface. Oh well, ROCK the RED! Don't Stop Believing!

Posted by: someone else who knows | June 24, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

So Cheefe,
I have learned that GMGM's vertical measurement is 5'9". But I don't even care why you persist in using your ARCANE-CHEEFE-SPEAK.

On another note, I've been thinking about it, and because:
1) Alzner is on the way up, and his game, by all accounts, is a strong offensive game, like Green and Poti already play

2) and because the last thing this D-weak team needs is another offensive defenseman considering the amount of goal scoring talent on the team

3) and because Green, salary-wise, is likely to over-assess himself in negotiations

4) and because Alzner is good for 3 more years at under $1M/yr

THEREFORE:
I say we let Green go get the price he wants somewhere else and make a move for Henrik Tallinder so will have a young, Championship caliber, badass, anchor blueliner. I think with Lydman there, Buffalo would be receptive to an offer.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | June 24, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: derei | June 24, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Tallinder registered a whooping 34 hits last season... I registered more hits last year and made into the emergency room 3 times to prove it, +34 stitches.

Tallinder 63gv 18Taw... pathetic...

Every Cap defender had more hits and a better gv/ta ratio...

Posted by: JSchon | June 24, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna miss Emmy... always thought he'd be a steady #4/#5 guy here. What can ya do?

I like the idea of the Clymer buyout... as someone noted before, something is up w/ that whole situation, but at least don't relegate him to the minors by force... let his play do the talking :-)

As for Mullet... I like having him back in the game, but I had also heard he wasn't a great coach; for that matter I disagree w/ him nightly during his ranting on sportscenter.

Finally... The Huet deal will get done, I don't even think that's an issue. I'd like to see the Green/Laich/Mo deals done before July. They want to stay, we want them... just work it out.

PS... Canadians charge too much for beer!!

Posted by: Scofield | June 24, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Danny:
Why would we want Emery?

I think that "someone else who knows" is Chief's Dr. Jekyll.

Someone mentioned the fate of the four guys who unveiled the new sweaters last season. I am trying to remember who did that - Clark, Pothier, Schultz and ... ?!? Anyway, I can't find the OFB article about it - anyone know where it is?

Posted by: Boo! | June 24, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,

Clymer was the last person on the mug: Clark, Pothier, Schultz, and Clymer. And, I believe the article was on Japer's Rink, not OFB

Posted by: Jordana | June 24, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Jordana:
A-ha! Thank you! :-) So that must not have been about the big unveiling at Kettler last year, was it? I don't remember Clymer being there ... ?!? But it would not be the first time that my memory failed me! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 24, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,
It was Japers. Also, three of the Pens' four: Orpik & Malone-by all accounts not resigning with the team. Talbot-caught that dreaded Pens' disease, high ankle sprain, missed 20 games. Whitney was the fourth. Not sure what his deal is.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 24, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I just looked at Jasper's Rink - Clymer sure was there! I don't remember him being there ... how sad is that?!? I guess that says a lot about his time with the Caps last season (or lack there of). But hey, I suppose that he does not remember me being there, either!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 24, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Let Green go? Um, we're trying to build a Stanley Cup competing team here.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | June 24, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

someone else aka chief,
fact check: bengt sr. did not have a back problem which cut his career short. he missed a bunch of time w/ a broken leg and wanted to play in sweeden. in fact, he played professionally for another 10 years or so after he left the caps.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | June 24, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Alzner is basically a stay at home D-man, he scores goals by being smart rather than jumping up into the play. He uses his oportunities well, but he does not take a lot of risks to score goals, does not need to.
Bye, Bye Clymer! 007 you should remember that not only did no other teams want him, no other team wanted him even if they claimed him off waivers and the Caps had to pay half his salary. He should have dominated in Hershey, he suks!

Posted by: Bob | June 24, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@ Tarik

It's been quite a while that Chief has been using "midget" and "azamat" to insult gmgm and Ted. Although his comments are sometimes, somewhat entertaining, insults should have no place in this blog.

Granted, he's not using curse words (that would ban his posts automatically), but that doesn't diminish the abuse. If he used other words (racial, etc) you would have stopped this already.

Enough is enough. It's an insult to your blog and your work as well. Are you going to do anything about it?

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

It's going to take training camp to convince me that Alzner is ready for the show. Playing well against everyone else in Juniors is not a recipe for instant NHL promotion.

When looking at the defensive pairings, PLEASE take note of handedness. We KNOW BB cares about this, and after the Poti/Schultz debacle vs. Philly, we ALL should be aware of how valuable it is to have L and R handed D for each line.

L's: Poti, Green, Erskine, Schultz, Alzner, Lepisto
R's: Green, Pothier, Juice, Boumedienne, Sloan

If Pothier can't go, we are in desperate need of another right-handed Defenceman OR we need to find a lefty who doesn't mind being on the "wrong" side. Schultz clearly can not be that man.

Posted by: FFS Enough | June 24, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Bob, you're right he did suck in Hershey. BUt before that, he played really well for us that 1st, above-potential season. Then he went down hill and couldn't even score in Hershey. Either way, don't you agree there must be a good story there? Tragedy, my friend, puts butts in the seat!

Posted by: oo7 | June 24, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Mauree- A volte, dobbiamo resistere agli sciocchi. Assicurisi appena che ci non rendono gli sciocchi di noi.

Posted by: oo7 | June 24, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

stupid translator.

Posted by: oo7 | June 24, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I have Green listed Twice. Mo should replace Green on the L's.

Posted by: FFS Enough | June 24, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@oo7

hehe good job - unless you're claiming he made a fool out of me already haha :D

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that we "want" Emery. All I'm saying is that we may not have a choice if Huet walks.

I would hate to see we get that Emery loser. But GMGM may just pull that as a PR stunt (try to inject some hip-hop culture to sell more tickets).

Posted by: Danny | June 24, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@Danny

I'd take Conklin instead of Emery if Huet walks. He's UFA, last year contract was 500K and he played really well when Fleury was injured.

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@Danny

I will be there.

Posted by: Huet | June 24, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Alzner makes the squad if he's #7 on the chart. They want the kid to play everyday. I wonder how he would look with Poti or Jurcina...

Ray Emery = Clubhouse poison. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Cloutier might sign on as a back-up somewhere (not here), but he sucks too.

If we don't sign Huet, we have a problem, as the other available FA goalies (now including these two pie tins) largely have a certain odor to them.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 24, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'll agree w/ that Old time hockey.... no point in having him play 6 min a game as the 7th guy... definitely start him in hershey if that's the case; but i don't think that'll be an issue. he'll beat out jurcina, no doubt.

Posted by: Scofield | June 24, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Clymer gone - Lindsay Czarniak not pleased.

Posted by: fansince74 | June 24, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If we dont sign Huet, we may play with 6 attackers all game.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"But GMGM may just pull that as a PR stunt (try to inject some hip-hop culture to sell more tickets)."

danny, that may be the dumbest thing ive ever heard, slightly racist too.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I assume the Huet deal will get done within the next couple of days?

If they were worried about it, wouldnt we have picked up Emery, or made a run at Dan Ellis, who resigned for peanuts, and played extremely well for Nashville?

Posted by: mike | June 24, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey fan74, who 's Lindsay Czarniak?

Posted by: oo7 | June 24, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,you do did good job. I saw his profile on dating site " ***Su garMin gle. c o m" last week. I am wondering what kind of relationship he is seeking on that site

Posted by: susie | June 24, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

If Huet doesn't sign, then maybe Kolzig as a UFA. Extremely unlikely, but it would make for a heck of a story. He wants to start for a contender afterall.

Posted by: Caps 423 | June 24, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Caps 423 | June 24, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Donadoni needs ro resign, Tortorella is a good candidate.

Posted by: King Huet | June 24, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

My new life policy: do and say the exact opposite of what Chief says

Posted by: another caps fan named Jill | June 24, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

King Huet talk about instigation huh?

Hehe agreed, Donadoni should resign.

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Cap fan 1
Here is your fact check. He broke his leg against Potvin in '85, and came back to play 70 games the following season. Due to back problems, he left the hitting in the NHL and avg. of 70 games played per year for the light contact and 35-40 game (54 games top) Swedish league.

Posted by: someone else who knows | June 24, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Just because Gus Jr. was the sentimental pick, doesn't mean he's not a solid pick. The guy is projected to be a top level two way forward. And don't deny the bloodlines, his dad was awesome - a Selke trophy candidate who could score. Gusty was the reason why Gretzky never had a good game in the Cap Center. And as was pointed out above, Gus Sr. did NOT leave the NHL because of back problems (get your facts straight, brother).

Posted by: tokyo fan | June 24, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@mauree

Why that Italian player who said he wanted Zidane's sister doesn't play anymore? Did he retire?

Posted by: King Huet | June 24, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@ someone

Cap Fan 1 had it correct (almost). And you're right about the part of Gus playing 70 games in 85-86. But he then went back to Sweden for one season and THEN played for the Caps two more years (78 games in 87-88, 54 pts; 72 games in 88-89, 69 pts). Those aren't the stats of someone who couldn't hack the hitting in the NHL. Moreover, Bryan Murray in Detroit claimed Gus on waivers in 1990 in the hopes he'd make a second comeback to the NHL (didn't happen). Go to p. 183 of last year's media guide, if you don't believe me.

Posted by: tokyo fan | June 24, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Czarniak is the channel 4 sports treat who replaced George.

Posted by: fansince74 | June 24, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Kind of off topic, I'm guessing someone else may have wrote about this, but did anyone catch what one scouting service wrote about Eric Mestery (our 2nd round pick)? The end is kind of sad and perplexing

Red Line Report ranked Mestery 97th and said: "Excellent size, mobility and hands. Smooth, long skating stride with quick feet. Surprising balance, quickness and speed for a huge, gangly kid. Very good stickhandler and has a good, if seldom seen shot. Always trying to throw hits and use the body, but is very ineffective physically. Good energy level."
Projection: Perenially frustrating #7 rearguard.
Style compares to: Shaone Morrisonn

Posted by: AP | June 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

haha I thought I mis-understood what the scouting report was trying to say, but after several reads it just looks like the projection was inserted by a mischievous little brother or something. It doesn't match rest of the report at all

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Tokyo,
I never said Gus Sr. couldn't "hack the hitting". Gus Sr. was one of the toughest players in the amount of hits and slashes taken. I remember seeing him stand up and Punch Bruin tough guy Stan Jonathan in the face at the Cap Center. And for the record, Gus Sr. is one of my all-time Favorite Capital players. He's probably one of, if not, the most under rated player in the NHL during his period of play. And that's exactly why a guy like Bryan Murray would love him too. My point is this, he did have Back issues then and now gmgm trades another pick and moves up to draft a player in the first round w/ well known BACK issues. No other teams were considering him until the second round. There were other higher rated players available at that time. I'm looking forward to seeing him at Kettler during upcoming camps; let's see how he compares to his dad.

Posted by: someone else who knows | June 24, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ someone else who knows,

wear a bright orange shirt at kettler so we know who to spill our drinks on "accidentally"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 828 | June 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

he was in the team but not playing cause, well, he sucks lol

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Because I was not all that hockey aware back in the Edmonton days of old, does anyone know how many NHL coaches (other than Melrose) coached Wayne Gretzky and did not win a Stanley Cup?

Just curious. He always talked about how he coached the Great One on ESPN.

Posted by: Kim | June 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@ King Huet

Question out of curiousity. Were you always a Huet fan or just when he started with the Caps? What was your blog name before King Huet?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 24, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

His name was puckguru!!

Posted by: AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!! | June 24, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@KIm......anyone who coached Gretzy after he left Edmonton, including who ever was coaching Rangers when he was in NY. Funny they won after he left.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

oo7:
I did not say that Clymer "sucked" in Hershey (not a word I usually use); I actually never saw him play in Hershey because I don't follow the Bears (I know, bad Caps fan!). My point was just that, in his case, 'outta sight, outta mind' ... and that's just sad on my part. I agree that he did an OK job in DC - not great, not bad. I suppose it does not help that he was moved around from D to wing, wasn't he?

Danny:
I agree with mauree - if we can't have Huet, I would go with Conklin before Emery.

Posted by: Boo! | June 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

someone else,
broke his leg in 86 (late in the 85-86 season). played the entire next year in sweeden. came back to the caps in 87-88 for a couple of years. wanted to be at home.

may not have liked the physicality of the NHL, but didn't leave because of his back. your attempts to connect his back problems to his sons and therefore further your particular agenda of discretiting everything the caps do and say are weak.

that said, i really hope they made this pick because he was the best player available and not because of his last name.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | June 24, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I believe Clymer was a wing before, then went to D and back to wing, right? Or do I have it backwards? Or am I completely off?!? :-) Like I said - outta sight, outta mind ... sad but true in some cases!

Posted by: Boo! | June 24, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

It shouldnt take long for Ben Clymers number to be retired in the hallowed rafters of Verizon Center.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan

I don't have a blog. First time I noticed Huet was when Montreal beat Caps, he was very good. In the second game, of course, Ovechkin scored 3 (or 4?) and Huet was shaken. I believe after that Habs really questioned him and, thanks to Ovechkin, traded him to Caps. But I still remembered that first game when he looked unbeatable, and I believed in him. Turned out I was right. As for Olie, I never had anything against him until last season when he really sucked, oh well, we all get old. But he was one of the top goalies in the NHL at his best times.

Posted by: King Huet | June 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

he was in the team but not playing cause, well, he sucks lol

He was good against Zidane. Maybe Italy should've put him and he'd say to Torrez that he wanted his sis, and, Italy in the semi's! :-)

Posted by: King Huet | June 24, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers haven't had a Cup win since '94 with Messier. I don't remember exact when he arrived in NY or how long he stayed (1997-2000 stands out in my mind, but i'm not positive), but the Rangers definitely have not won a Cup since '94.

And Emery would be a terrible choice, btw.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 24, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Boo, never call yourself a bad caps fan. most caps fans couldn't identify our minor league team. Steve and I are talking about a Hershey road trip next season though.

As for Gus, I remember a game against the kings where he frustrated Gretsky so much, the Great One picked up 2 slashing penalties in the first period. Made me very happy.

Posted by: Leeguru | June 24, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

BARRY MEL-HOSE is a flip-flopper

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the 'he' is Gretzky.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 24, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks King Huet,

I didn't really mean your own blog. I meant what did you sign on as before King Huet. Somebody answered earlier, just not sure if that was accurate.

I actually like Huet. I have had him on a couple of my fantasy teams.

I agree Conklin would be better than Emery, but I also believe they will get Huet signed.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 24, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet
He was good against Zidane.

I disagree. He first provoked him then rolled on the grass like he was about to die. I'm sorry but I really can't stand that. Besides, any italian D will play decent against a big star, it wasn't just him.

Are you done with instigating me with italian soccer!! haha :D

Speaking of contracts, all pens fan I talked to are sure they'll re-sign Hossa, Malkin, Staal and Fleury. Some said Fleury for 8M lol. If that's the case, it's going to be around $37M for 5 players (9+8+8+6+6).

Posted by: mauree | June 24, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

Provoking of course was bad, but soccer or hockey players say things like that all the time. For some reason Zidane exploded.

I am saying that not counting the incident he played a good game, he shut down Zidane at that game. That's why I am surprised he wasn't playing at Euro 2008.

Posted by: King Huet | June 24, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

OK....Gussy had his leg broken by Denis Potvin with a very dirty check. That was the year that the caps had a great chance to go a long way in the playoffs. Caps had 3 HOF defensemen, not counting Hatcher, who wont make it but was good at the time. gartner, HOF, plumbers. The Caps had 4 very good lines, Jarvis was checking center with Dushene(sp). Gussy was good enough to get Dave Christian into a 40 goals scorer. Just never had the stopper in goal. Anyway, Gussy was very tough, saw him fight and just kick Hound Dog Kelly;s ass with the Flyer after the game he scored 5 in one game. His wife did not like living here so they moved back to Europe where he continued to play for a long time. I so believe he still has the fastest goal ever scored by a cap, 12 seconds. Let us hope junior is half as good as the old man, we will have a very good player for years to come. The kid has gotten some very good coaching from the old man after all he is the Swedish team's National coach and has been for 4 or 5 years. And he was the Sweede's captain for several years as well.

Posted by: Rich | June 24, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Tampa hiring Melrose is a joke; Melrose has been out of hockey since 1995; no scouting, coaching at an AHL or even Major Junior level. He has no idea the amount of hours involved on a day-to-day effort of running a team; Atlanta was much smarter in hiring a career minor league coach; a guy who knows the grind and has seen the game change. With Melrose, you're getting a high-maintenance guy with a huge ego who won a Memorial Cup eons ago, and took a veteran LA team to the final. He 'might' last two seasons, although an educated guess is that the "I'm not Fonzie" bit works for a while, and then they tune him out pretty quickly.

If I were Tampa, I'd have gone with someone who has coached, and can coach young talent (Stamkos).

Posted by: Patrick | June 30, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse