Michal Neuvirth on his 43-save night

Here's goalie Michal Neuvirth on the Caps' 5-2 victory against Atlanta tonight:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 5, 2010; 11:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday's practice in limbo
Next: Caps beat Thrashers, 5-2

Comments

Way to go Neuvy!

Posted by: letsgocaps819 | February 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

My compliments to Mike Vogel there in the interview. Vogs has elected to have the EXACT SAME hair style as yours truly.

I would say I have him out-ranked on the handsome meter but that would be for the ladies to decide.

Heh-heh.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Do not trade this kid, I repeat, do not trade this kid.

We have a great thing here with him and Varly.

Now is not the time to trade either of them.

Posted by: JSchon | February 5, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

neither Neuvy or Theo will be traded until they're convinced that Varly is healthy and ready to go the remainder of the year.

I don't think GMGM will be looking to trade anyone but I'm sure he'll listen to any offer as he should.

Posted by: joek443 | February 5, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Neuvie's comments were incredibly gracious and classy, especially regarding Theo. I think he will be an even greater asset to the organization over time. I would hate to see him go.

Actually, I would hate to see any of our three primary goalies traded at this point. Varly's health has really been surprisingly uncertain, especially for someone so young. When healthy, however, he's fantastic. Theo has been really solid, and I think he's playing with a lot of determination and heart at the moment. Neuvie has had several brilliant games, and a couple of messy ones. He needs some more time to mature in the crease, and someone dependable to mop up after any off games.

I just hope that whatever GMGM does, he doesn't destroy the comraderie among the team members in the process.

Posted by: SuzieInMD | February 5, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

so what do you do then when varlamov gets healthy? I doubt they can keep 3 goalies on the roster.

Posted by: Thundershock | February 6, 2010 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Neuvy will be sent back to Hershey when Varly gets healthy, hopefully next week.

nothing against Neuvy but when Varly is healthy, he's their number one goalie.

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2010 5:12 AM | Report abuse

"We just laughed at each other."

After Semin's own goal I was thinking what Neuvirth and Semin were saying each other. Man, gotta love this kid. Nice win Caps and Neuvirth.

Posted by: arakakij | February 6, 2010 5:23 AM | Report abuse

The best part of the game was when Theo came out on the ice to congratulate Neuvy.

It is never bad to have an embarrassment of riches, especially with goalies.

Posted by: ljo211 | February 6, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Do NOT trade this kid. This kid is money. He's got flash, character, and style. Love the other goalies, but this guy is worth the price of admission. Ovie + Neuvy = we are getting tickets.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | February 6, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to start a fight -- Neuvy is more solid and a better, more reliable goalie than Varly, both of whom I love. The combo of Neuvy and Varly reminds me of the Parent-Favell tandem of the Flyers during their Stanley Cup runs in the mid-70's -- both different yet complimentary goalies. But Neuvy is better, at least now.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | February 6, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have the Moog/Fuhr combo of the 1980's than the stupid Flyers combo.

as good as Neuvy has been playing Varly was simply BETTER than either of them before he got hurt. He was playing lights out.

Varly is the one who recored the last 4 shutout for this team, including 2 in the playoffs... gotta be amazed by the short memory span of some of you people.

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@Exile_in_Philly: not to "fight" with you, but we haven't been seeing Varly for a long time, so it's hard to say that Neuvy is more solid and a better goalie. Please tell me what you are basing that statement on. Thanks.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 6, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Between now and the trade deadline, there are four games, all scheduled for this week. There will probably be no trades made in the NHL during the Olympic break.

Before the trade deadline, there is not enough time to evaluate whether Varly is healthy, let alone whether he will need some time to readjust to NHL level play.

Posted by: miseaujeu | February 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse