Michal Neuvirth named NHL's rookie of the month

The NHL named Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth its rookie of the month for October. Neuvirth has started 10 of the Capitals' 11 games this season and boasts a 2.15 goals-against average and .926 save percentage, stopping 252 of the 272 shots he's faced so far this season.

Here's one of Neuvirth's most highlight-reel worthy saves so far this season, the robbery of Eric Staal in Carolina:

By Katie Carrera  | November 2, 2010; 1:22 PM ET
Categories:  Michal Neuvirth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: Semyon Varlamov likely to practice Wednesday
Next: Mike Knuble: 'I'm extremely frustrated'

Comments

Congratulations! Well-deserved, Neuvy!

Posted by: irockthered | November 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Neuvy, and thanks! I'm a lot less worrried about out goalie situation than I was, though I'd be pleased to have two solid goalies running strong.

Posted by: Justafan | November 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

First off, awesome to hear and would have been shocked to hear he didnt win. He played his a$$ off. Probably could have been named NHL player of the month if he notched another win/shut-out in there and if that Stamkos noob and his mad skills didnt tear it up.

And now a glimpse on how the remaining posts will go with this story.....

Dark Siders response: 252 of 272, he's got to get better, 20 goals is just too much. Playoffs...NO CHANCE. If BB would adjust his system and if GMGM would get him that 2st pairing D, he should have been at least 262 for 272. If you look back at the gritty grinder type goalies that played back in 1492, and I'm not talking about those stinking euros that came across the pond on the Pinta......

Kool-Aiders response: See GMGM was amazing in drafting this guy and BB has been the perfect coach for him. If BB had not been here, who knows if he would be so stellar. Thank goodness we signed Neuvy for 2 years at such a great price, he could have easily cost us a billion per season. The Stanley Cup is ours and this award proves it, just like the Pres Trophy would have had we not run into a hot goaltender.

Middle of the Roaders response:

Good job Neuvy, keep standing on your head. 72 more games to go and it's not looking like you will get much relief from Varly or help from Sloan....or Flash. Hopefully the O picks up their play a bit (like they did in Calgary) to help ease your burden so we dont burn you out. Perhaps a 2C and 1st pairing D man would help.

Think that about covers it...next story.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 2, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Neuvy!!! Keep it up. You're my fantasy goalie.
Poor Varly.

Posted by: instinct227 | November 2, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: Great post. I don't need to write a word.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 2, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI:

guessing u classify yourself as a kool-aid drinker????

Posted by: doughless | November 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I should add the middle-of-the-road response works for me but I also like the Kool Aider answer on great job GMGM in this case getting him locked up two more years. I posted when that happened that the organization made it sound like Varly was #1 so that Neuvy signed at #2 money. Now they can go back to Varly and say he isn't doing any better than Neuvy so he should be lucky to get same deal. Will be interesting to watch play out, just like Semin and Laich deals.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd consider myself a middle of the roader realist...while liking Semin as a player (this is kind of a category on its own). I dont think we are defeated like the Dark Siders, nor do I feel we have it won like the Kool-aid drinkers. I think we got a sound team with room for improvement and improvements that have to happen in order to hoist. I am iffy but not given up on BB and am up and down on GMGM.

As I once posted...I dont soley drink goat's blood, I dont soley drink kool-aid...I do Goat Bombs. Half a glass of goat's blood with a shot of kool-aid dropped in it, then chug.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 2, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Barring Varly coming back and playing amazing for much of the season or somehow starting in the playoffs and going on a Niemi liek run, Varly will get much less than you had him listed at before the season started.

He may not get much more than $1M/yr and will probably be signed to a short term contract.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 2, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Neuvy! WTG
Děkuji vám, děkuji, děkuji, Michal!

...and so it was, in the Sixth Season of the Red Jesus that (cue reverb) A Goalie God (end reverb) came unto the City of Monuments from the chocolatiers of the North...

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved, this team could easily be 3-8 if not for Neuvy's play. Oustanding job!

Keep riding that hot hand although I would really like to see Holtby get his shot as well.

Posted by: PhilR | November 2, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

cool, SAOTI. just pulling your chain.

Posted by: doughless | November 2, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Varly-

on the ice wed

on the IR Thursday

Please, send him to hershey to just spiral downward..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The “could” and the “should” are only for losers.
The team is what it is, and I like it. Can they be improved? Yes, But what teams does not need improvement?
I believe GMGM has built a great team.

Posted by: hock1 | November 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "goalie controversy"?

What Goalie Controversy?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 2, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@hock1

I agree. The Caps could also be 11-0 if the cashed in on a few more of their glorious scoring opportunties. (It is just as ridiculous as the 3-8 statement as it would be changing the results of exactly 4 games)

The "could have" and "should have" can get ridiculous.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

A well-deserved honor for Neuvirth, he definitely earned it....GO CAPS!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 2, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Once again, don't like my opinion.....well that is just too bad! I will continue to voice said opinion when this team does not play consistently and is constantly getting bailed out by their goaltender.

Posted by: PhilR | November 2, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

And btw, how many of you were using the "should have" and "could have" excuses last post season??? Lets go back and revisit those posts and take a look, I'll bet hock1 and sgm3 are right at the top of the list!

Posted by: PhilR | November 2, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

I figured as much, but was bored and felt like typing. :P

@those dogging PhilR for the should/could crap...

Uh, if you read the context of his post, he was more like complimenting Neuvy's play rather than dissing the team...bascially calling him the Caps First Star of the Month. Think you all took it the wrong way.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

sgm: Yes, you are right on that. I had decided when making the first versions of next year's expected cap that Caps goalies would get $4M between them based on Halak/Niemi kind of money for the starter and decent change for the back-up. I had Varly at $3M since he was projected starter and Neuvy $1M as back-up. Neuvy now at $1.15M looks to be a good deal. No clue on Varly, but as we saw on Niemi, and Halak, a goalie can get hot for the last few months and turn the tables. Difference though is Halak was two years from UFA and Varly is four so Halak 4-yr deal isn't entirely comparable to Varly situation.

I believe Varly will be a tough sign because I think he values himself much higher than maybe the market would. I can't say this from anything except some Russian translations we've read and a certain cockiness I detect in his comments.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 2, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

If we sign Varly to a long term deal, does this mean that WaPo will have to create another blog called "Russian Machine Always Broken" ?

In "Unbreakable":
Ovie = Bruce Willis
Varly = Samuel L Jackson

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 2, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI
Very well written/said, and very entertaining. I love it, especially the 'since 1492' part.

Posted by: PSD1 | November 2, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

Thank you, that is what I meant but when these people attack I'm going to strike back.....some on here are just ridiculous if you say anything even slightly negative!

Posted by: PhilR | November 2, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

See "Middle of the Roaders" response via SeminAllOverTheIce.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | November 2, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Additionally......

Nuevy is the #1 Goalie.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | November 2, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

After one month, it is clear that Neuvy is the goalie of the future. GMGM should ship Varly off for a bag of pucks because it is clear he will never succeed in this league. Oh, and pay no attention to 2009 playoff Varly, 2008-2009 Steve Mason 2007-2008 Carey Price, or 2007-2008 Marc Andre Fleury in the corner. Those guys are just haters.

Seriously, congrats to Neuvy. He has played well the first month. Just hope the fanbase doesn't turn on him if (when) he goes through a slump.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

As good as Neuvirth has been, Varly has been just as disappointing. Yes, it is due to injury, but that is the rap on Varly. He's brittle. I think the team will regret not spending 1 million to bring Theo back or get some other similar vet.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 2, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a bit early to throw Varly in the dung heap and write off his whole life. Orioles once had a pitcher. He was the youngets pitcher in MLB history to throw a WS shutout when he beat Koufax in the last game Koufax appeared before retiring. The young pitcher had arm trouble the next year and missed significant parts of 1967, 1968 and 1969.

He returned though to lead or help lead O's to 5 add'l WS appearances and two titles. He won three Cy Young Awards and is in the baseball HoF.

His name is Jim Palmer.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 2, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

ablake's point was your point, tomin (but maybe you got that).

Adjust your sarcasm-meter rheostat up just a smidge, should help. (Also, just rap on the meter glass with your knuckle - works 80% of the time.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

No one has admired SAOT's new Caps' drink: "Goat Bombs. Half a glass of goat's blood with a shot of kool-aid dropped in it, then chug."

Excellent beverage that sums up so many responses, including too often my own.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 2, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Neuvy. Love his calm demeanor and economy of motion.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 2, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Sign me up for one of SAOTI's Goat Bombs! I will be ready to drink one of them tomorrow night when the Caps take on the improving Leafs.

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 2, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse