Posted at 10:21 AM ET, 01/ 3/2011

Michal Neuvirth struck in face during practice

By Gene Wang

UPDATED

Washington goalie Michal Neuvirth apparently got hit in the face with a stick during the early portion of pratice this morning at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, forcing him from the ice and to the locker room for further assessment.

Neuvirth appeared more than a little annoyed as he took off his uniform and trudged back to the players-only area with trainers. That left Semyon Varlamov as the only goalie, prompting Coach Bruce Boudreau to ask team videographer Brett Leonhardt to put on equipment in order to fill in.

"He was bleeding," Boudreau said of Neuvirth. "I think the stick got inside the mask somehow."

Neuvirth, 22, has not played since Dec. 23 in a 3-2 shootout loss to Pittsburgh. The Capitals next play Tampa Bay tomorrow night at Verizon Center in a matchup of Southeast Division leaders.

In a bit good news on the goaltending front, Varlamov was named first star of the week following a stretch where he has won three in a row, including 3-1 over Pittsburgh in Saturday night's Winter Classic.

"That' great. I think it's about time one of our players got recognized, so that was good," Boudreau said.

By Gene Wang  | January 3, 2011; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  Michal Neuvirth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals are on an upswing, but Alex Ovechkin's slump is still a reality
Next: Final Winter Classic thoughts from Capitals

Comments

Pssh, Neuvy always finding ways to skip practices...trade him asap. =) jk jk

Get better soon Neuvy, and lets nip this injury bug in the bud asap.

P.S. Hope we have learned that if you are near pucks being fired, keep your mask on.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 3, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Being "annoyed" after getting hit in the face with a puck is about as good a reaction as you can hope for....

Posted by: CF11555 | January 3, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Start Brett!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 3, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Please get rid of that Penguins logo in the top left corner next to the Winter Classic coverage...it doesn't belong here!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 3, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree with lylewimbledon Show the logo for both, Or the Caps.. But not the Pens. Is this Katie's doing since her lil Pens lost. :)

Posted by: darrylrbaker | January 3, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hi @tominsocal
Since you have a snow day, I have been meaning to ask, what is the "Paw to the Jaw" move that you keep referencing that Hannan is teaching Alzner? Are all the D men learning it or just the "kids"?
I'm just curious. I would look for it if I knew what you were referencing.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 3, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Mike Rupp just found his contact lense....Erskine can go back to punching him in the face.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 3, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@SA-town - now that was pretty funny!

Very nice win by the fellas and I really liked the night time game. Yes the camera angles were off but that's because we've been watching hockey for yrs from the same "angle" so when it changes it seems odd. It certainly did to me too. I didn't mind the overhead shots so much, the problem with it was the shot was zoomed out so far. I mean do we really need to see the whole city of Pittsburgh while watching a game?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 3, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Fehr only got 9:55 of ice time, which is 2 minutes less than any one else on the team and he still managed to be the game's hero!

Posted by: spkdc | January 3, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@spkdc

I kind of mentioned it by saying the 2nd line needs a facelift. The way we are playing Fehr should be up there and Semin should be on another team and bringing us back a 2nd line C in return.

Posted by: ThePat | January 3, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon - I was wondering if I was the only one seen the Pens logo.
What gives? Why not the WC logo instead?

Posted by: guer_j | January 3, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@spkdc

I dont know what happened, I guess I accidentally deleted some of what I wrote...that should have read:

I had mentioned the same thing to my friends. I was kind of referencing it by saying the 2nd line needs a facelift. The way we are playing Fehr should be up there and Semin should be on another team and bringing us back a 2nd line C in return.

Posted by: ThePat | January 3, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

december = semin goes bye-bye. shocker?? not really.

Posted by: doughless | January 3, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So on my way out of the garage after practice at Kettler, I accidentally cut off Brooks Laich! He was very nice about it and let my car pass...his Escalade needs a wash though.

Posted by: capscoach | January 3, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Now that the WC is over, it's time to move Semin. I also think it's time to move Schultz as well. I would like to use these guys to bring in two tougher players.

The Poti extension looks worse every day.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 3, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

i am a little surprised that arguably the biggest story of the year hasn't gotten more attention; I am referring to GMGM & BB throwing in the towel and admitting that their "offense first" system was a failure. Some of their comments regarding the change in systems are blunt admissions that it didn't work. Shocking, almost.

I am quite often critical of both GMGM & BB, but I must say that their admission is HUGE. I give them a lot of credit for saying what they are saying, doing it in a public way and attempting to make a change to have a more balanced system. I think the Habs game last week and the WC game were both solid and a credit to the adjustments being made. Kudos to them both.

Posted by: doughless | January 3, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

at practice today, he looked kinda sluggish and even a bit lazy. At least Ovie was hustling, though his shot seemed off.

Hendricks was moving his butt today, even yelling encouragement to his linemates...I am really liking that guy.

Posted by: capscoach | January 3, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I think what the Caps do with Semin will be very interesting.

He can officially start negotiating with the Caps as of Jan. 1.

His latest slump has probably reduced his value some because I don't think many people would be willing to give him $6.7M/yr right now(that was about the price most people suggested at the end of November).

I am willing to let Semin play through this. You have to give him some credit as he was getting the puck deep more consistently and making less dangerous plays at the offensive blue line. He does look like he is starting to buy into the system. I expect him to break out and start scoring.

It is nice to have a dangerous guy like him in the playoffs. Yes, he can go long periods without scoring. However, he can also score on plays that he has no business scoring on. His shot is wicked, when he is accurate with it, the Caps become amazingly dangerous.

I still think Semin re-signs with the Caps. However, I only expect it to be a 3-year deal or so at around $6.3M/yr, not a long term deal. I'm just guessing on it, but that's what I believe will happen.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 3, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@underpants

I disagree on Schultz. I think our top 6 are playing very well right now. Switching to a more of a trapping style will help Schultz. Im happy with the 6 we got if we stay healthy. Our 7th(Poti) yes that extension looks even worse now than it did before.

Posted by: ThePat | January 3, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

GMGM needs to make a couple of moves. Perhaps the most important is a veteran 2nd/3rd line C. That and a solid vet d-man and I think the Caps will be solid for the playoffs. He should make moves sooner rather than later. It will give new guys time to acclimate. Get'er done, GMGM!!

Posted by: doughless | January 3, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Or a vet goalies.

Posted by: doughless | January 3, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

micahel leighton on waivers.

Posted by: doughless | January 3, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse