Mike Green, Bruce Boudreau on Caps' victory

Despite the below-capacity crowd and a slow start for the Caps, defenseman Mike Green said today's 5-4 overtime win over Pittsburgh had a postseason feel.

"It felt like a playoff game," he said. "Not like a regular-season game. They came out really strong. You can't expect anyone to be tired or not, but we had heard [the Penguins] had come in late. They came out flying, and it took us a while to get going."

After the win, Coach Bruce Boudreau had no shortage of praise for his players, including goalie Jose Theodore, who made 31 saves and got his career-high 10th straight win.

"Theodore played great," Boudreau said. "Couldn't do anything on the first two, I don't think, you know, [Sidney] Crosby's goals, and then there were bang-bang goals in front of the net. A sign of a good goaltender, to me, is when it's tied at the end or you're up by a goal and somebody can preserve that one-goal lead and preserve it so it gives you an opportunity to win it. And he did."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 7, 2010; 4:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Fehr, Mike Knuble on goals in win vs. Pens
Next: Caps get Monday off after win over Penguins

Comments

From last thread:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Whoever made the thread must be kicking themself...

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

And then from the ESPN boards:

"iamborat99 (2/7/2010 at 2:20 PM) It is over bro....WAS will not come back....they are losers...if they do, I will ban myself from ESPN for life..won't happen though so I have NOTHING to worry about"

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Just back from the game. It was a great scene. Has anyone pointed out that Knuble had a Gordie Howe hat trick?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 7, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

hey, Knubes did get a Gordie Howe. Good on him!

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone assumed Ovie's shot crossed the line, took a replay for me to realize it was knubes! i thought the refs were just slow on the uptake... which wouldnt be too far off.

Posted by: mrszilla | February 7, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 7, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm so happy for Mike that he ends up with the game winner. He had been having a pretty tough game until that point having missfired on two glorious chances early in the game, and then also taking that instigator penalty.

PS - the officiating blew. even when gonchar got called for a penalty, the ref skated over and announced "number 55, Washington."

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I just have to add that the Mike Green video is 52 seconds long.

And I love that they spell Capitals with an O on that CBS link. Capitols? All respect gone.

Posted by: gocaps99 | February 7, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse