Mike Green: 'We have a chip on our shoulder'

Thanks again to the fine camerawork of Dan Steinberg, here's Mike Green on tonight's game:

One reporter asked if it felt like the playoffs with so many reporters and cameras around.

"No. No," Green said. "It's just a regular-season game on the way to the playoffs, and it's obviously a little different because we haven't played [the Penguins] in the first half, but that's about it."

He did, however, admit that there was a little bit more to playing against Pittsburgh than, say, any other team.

"We have a chip on our shoulder from what happened in Game 7," Green said, "but that's it."

As for his status tonight, Green was a little bit coy, saying that "as of right now" he's playing.

For more on the Caps, check out Steinberg's post on John Carlson, who's been racking up some frequent flyer miles over the past two weeks.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 21, 2010; 2:42 PM ET
 | Tags: Mike Green, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Alex Ovechkin on the Penguins and Sidney Crosby
Next: Live game chat: Caps at Penguins

Comments

(from last thread, or 2 threads ago I guess now)

@ jason595:

Pierre McGuire says 'a whole lot of nasty' about everyone. I am Canadian so I get Wednesday Night Hockey on TSN every week, and he says that same thing every single week. He also says 'monster', 'spectacular' (in reference to a save, and '(insert team name)'s fans, get excited about this guy' about 19 times a period. You guys shouldn't give 55 a nickname that Pierre McGuire gave him, because if every team did that they would each have 2 or 3 players with the same nicknames.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 21, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Heard Laraque was released by the Habs. Do the Caps need an enforcer?

Posted by: arcassells | January 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

broken record time

Posted by: doughless | January 21, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Good grief. I catch up on the numerous threads to read a whole lotta Greenie bashing and then finally watch the video. What a lot of hot air out of nothing. JOKE! smiled as he said he didn't feel like it. And the reporters laughed.

I wish everyone would actually listen to the whole quote from a player before jumping to conclusions and writing a post with preconceived notions. Green makes a joke and from that numerous posts appear on laziness etc. etc.

GEEZ do the research and listen to as much of the original as available and THEN arrive at your own conclusions. Don't believe everything you read. Use critical thinking.

Second, I do love Ovi in an interview--love the summer "how to" talks he and Crosby had. What a jokester. But I hope that some poster or reporter isn't now going to take that comment seriously and ask stupid follow up question such as when did this conversation take place.

Honestly!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

arcassells, yes Laraque was released; the Caps might need an enforcer; but Laraque is definitely not the type they need. They need a tough guy who can actually play, not a goon like Laraque.

Posted by: timmyv38 | January 21, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Enough pre-game jibba jabba. It's time to play the game. DROP THE DAMN PUCK ALREADY. LET'S GO CAPS LET'S GO CAPS LET'S GO CAPS :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | January 21, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Green looks well. His eyes look the way my boys' eyes do when they are sick. He has huge circles under his eyes.

I know we want to crush Pitt, but maybe Green should sit this one out. I was horrified when I learned he played with mono (or something akin) last year; spleen, anyone?

Posted by: Steakum | January 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Any word yet on who's in net for Pittsburgh tonight?

Posted by: cao091402 | January 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Any word yet on who's in net for Pittsburgh tonight?

Posted by: cao091402 | January 21, 2010 3:40 PM |

Johnny vs. Theo

Wait- sooooo, Laraque has been bought out? I hadn't heard. Does this mean we can now trade for Brashear?

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
So what does that make us?
Absolutely nothing...

Posted by: Fro_ | January 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@steakum,

There's no way he could have played with mono. He would have had zero energy, and I'm sure no right minded doctor would let him. But he does look rough today, all pale with circles under his eyes. One of the reporters even asked him if he feels ok.

Posted by: hockeynewb | January 21, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@hockeynewb

Believe me, I know. I had it in high school and my oldest son had it last spring. He's a hockey player, too, and was out about a month.

I just keep reading where Green had mono or something similar during the play-offs. I do remember at the time we all complained in our house how poorly he seemed to play in comparison to the regular season. "He does not seem to be himself," we would say.

Posted by: Steakum | January 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: malujoker | January 21, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Any word yet on who's in net for Pittsburgh tonight?
Posted by: cao091402 | January 21, 2010
--------
As Fro_ said, Johnson. Fleury is on IR.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | January 21, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@steakum,

I had it right after college. I could barely get out of bed for a week. I just can't imagine anyone even considering playing with mono, but I guess that's why they're professionals!

Posted by: hockeynewb | January 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

There was a tweeted pic of Green and Ovi talking to the press just after they deplaned at KPIT yesterday. Green looked like he had slept upside down in the one of the galley containers on the flight.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 21, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@hockeynewb

Well, I would find it hard to believe, too. However, my son's doc said that as long as she could not feel his spleen and he felt like it, he could play. But, that took awhile, he had fever, & slept constantly.

In a recent presser BB referred to it, calling it a "blood disorder." I can't remember how/why it came up.

Posted by: Steakum | January 21, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Green's ailment during the playoffs was described as "mono-like" so could be something along the lines of anemia. It was something that zaps his energy that's for sure.

He did look tired in that video but he always has kinda sleepy looking eyes. Wait that must mean he's lazy too!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say zapped--in past tense. Forgot that it was also described as a blood disorder.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike Green had the flu, word has it that it was mono, but he also had dangerously low iron (and a separated shoulder) during the playoffs. It's why Green would describe trying to play as "skating in mud." I really admired how much he tried to play through it. Must have been miserable for him.

It's no wonder he didn't look himself and why he worked so hard this off season on training and nutrition. If he's hurt, he probably didn't sleep well the night before. Might explain the dark circles. He's been banged around pretty good the last couple of weeks.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@terpsrule

Ahh so it's anemia--I for one suffer from bouts of anemia and all I want to do is nap when my iron gets low. May not be as serious as mono but it is definitely energy zapping.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

kind of off topic but I just found this on AO blogspot

"But I was in shock, I was prepared to fight and then from behind us comes out Matt Bradley and starts pummeling Downie. I stood there confused and thought, WTF?"

Interview of AO by some Russian reporter...

looks like ovie really did want to fight..

Posted by: wowkanut | January 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@terpsrule

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I suffer from that from time to time myself. It's brutal. Can't imagine battling that and a bad shoulder and trying to play hockey. Tough kid, I'm a big fan. I hope and want nothing but the best for him.

He doesn't look so good in that interview. He looks whooped and stiff. It looks like he had just come off the ice from practice, so maybe it's just from that. I hope he plays, but if he's not 100%, I hope he sits. In the grand scheme of things, this game means nothing. More important for him to be healthy than anything else.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@Terpsrule

All true. I think he has been getting banged up regularly for the last month or so. I guess we get the "ah-ha!" moments after the fact regarding illnesses/injuries concurrent with the play-offs. We knew something was wrong, but did not know what.

The unfortunate part of that is then Green (or whichever player) gets such incredible grief at the time, called all sorts of names, and given no benefit of the doubt.

As I usually say, "you don't know what you don't know."

Posted by: Steakum | January 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@Terpsrule

As I usually say, "you don't know what you don't know."

Posted by: Steakum | January 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

This is so true. I mean c'mon, Green has an historic regular season, gets the flu, misses a couple of games down the stretch and then struggles in the playoffs and people think it's because he was dogging it? Really?? REALLY? The bashing of Green from the playoffs I thought was just awful. Anyone with 2 eyes and 2 braincells could clearly see he wasn't right.

Now it's certainly reasonable to question BB about playing him so much, but he probably realized that less than 100% of Green was better than the alternative.

I hope he's ok. There's no doubt in my mind that Caps need a healthy and right Mike Green to be successful.

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 21, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

OH NO!!! GREEN IS PLAYING WITH A "CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER"...he isn't thinking of hitting anyone while he's playing defense?!?!?!?

Grrrr...mean Green...lol...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

oh..and just so you know, I was only kidding.

But why can't you guys just say Green had a bad playoffs? That's it? It wasn't an injury, or illness, or as Mike said...his favorite stick broke..

He just played bad. No big deal, learn from it and move on...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 21, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who are bashing Green and his physical play you have gotten a 1 way non stop ticket to the dufus brigade! While his overall defensive play can be debated (hopefully objective) but his physical play has been 10x's better this yr compared to last. He has decked people coming across the blue line numerous times. He picks his spots which is what a good Dman does. You're not supposed to hit people just to hit them. You're supposed to hit them to separate them from the puck and that's exactly what he does. When you hit a guy along the boards it is to eliminate him from the play not hit him so he gets right up and back in the play. Green has done this. We are a worse team with Green out of the lineup and wishing injury on anybody is butch in my book.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 21, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

hey mike, i know its not all on you, but as a 30 year caps fan i have a chip on my shoulder too.

Posted by: daddy_axe | January 22, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse