Posted at 12:48 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Mike Green expected to miss at least the next two games

By Katie Carrera

While Dennis Wideman provides defensive depth for the Capitals, the uncertain health of both Mike Green and Tom Poti makes him an even more important addition.

Green, who is in Calgary with his family following the death of his grandmother, will likely miss the next two games, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said the Capitals "expect him to be ready to go in Florida." Washington has a back-to-back road trip against the Panthers and Lightning this upcoming weekend.

In his last in-game appearance against the New York Rangers this past Friday, Green was hit in the head for the second time in two weeks. He left the game after playing just 2:25 against the Rangers following a check by Derek Stepan, whose shoulder came into contact with Green's jaw.

Green has missed seven of the past nine games since a puck struck him in the head near his right ear on Feb. 6 against Pittsburgh and that injury caused wooziness, balance problems, headaches and what the team termed an "inner-ear trauma."

Meanwhile, Poti has played in only parts of 21 games this season, largely hampered by a nagging groin problem. Poti, who signed a two-year contract extension worth $2.875 million per season prior to the start of the 2010-11 campaign, skated with the team today but left the ice when contact drills began.

The team does not have a definitive time table on when he might be able to return to the lineup.

Boudreau said that the trade for Wideman doesn't necessarily mean that either Green or Poti are farther away from returning than Washington expected previously.

"It means we don't know and this is the last day" to make a deal, Boudreau said. "Even if we have both of those guys, [General Manager] George [McPhee] makes a great pick in getting Dennis."

By Katie Carrera  | February 28, 2011; 12:48 PM ET
Categories:  Dennis Wideman, Injuries, Mike Green, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau on Dennis Wideman trade: 'I think it's a great pickup'
Next: Semyon Varlamov still day-to-day, Eric Fehr practices

Comments

from previous post

something has to combat the 20 paragraphs of McPhee is a genius messages after every trade he makes. Where are those fans when those same moves don't pan out? hmm

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm right here...

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope Klesla for Upshall/Lipisto was what Pierre was talking about.

Posted by: wolvi6987 | February 28, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope Klesla for Upshall/Lipisto was *not* what Pierre was talking about.

Posted by: wolvi6987 | February 28, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

TSN trade center crew gave mixed reviews.
Time will tell!

Posted by: hunter321

none of those guys know anything. Last yr all the "analysts" were creamin their thighs when we acquired Belanger and Corvo.

The only folks who really know how to evaluate these trades sit on message boards just like this. I say that with no hint of arrogance. And I'm not referring to myself per se. But fans who follow hockey closely around the league are the best sources for trade evaluations.

Posted by: cstanton1 |
----------------------------------
RIIIIIIght! So not only do you trash peoples opinions here, you're gonna trash CANADA'S hockey media. Classy like you as always.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope Klesla for Upshall/Lipisto was *not* what Pierre was talking about.

Posted by: wolvi6987 | February 28, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was. When it was asked if all that if second tier players were going to be to be it today, he said no, that there was more coming.

Posted by: Chucks20707 | February 28, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

I'm waving a white flag here, so don't take my head off. But I imagine that BB will ALWAYS say that type of thing after a trade when talking to the media. Otherwise, he is bad mouthing his boss and his bosses ability to do the job he was hired for. What happened behind closed doors we never really know.

With that said, of course BB likes this move. It gives him another smooth skating, puck moving d man to play with.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

On paper currently, this team is in trouble.

I don't see how even if we got Jason Arnott, this team makes it past round 2. And if we face the wrong team in round 1, its sayonara.

If you don't even have the right look on paper, you'll never be able to get past a certain level of playoff hockey.

I don't think this team is better overall than the team we had back when we beat the Rags and lost to the Flyers. We've exchanged some pieces around, but relatively speaking when you look at the other competition in the East, we still look like a marginal playoff team on paper.

There's about 2 teams I think we have a decent (i.e. 50/50 or less) shot of beating in a series.

That's my honest non-hating opinion of where we stand. Take it fwiw.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Which two teams cstanton1?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 |

once again, pull your gIANT head out of your little a__ and explain to me why you got your panties all bunched up over a response I made to a different poster. I.e, someone that was NOT you.

Go ahead genius, explain.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Only 2 hours left...hope McPhail pulls the trigger on a center...Sturm and Wideman you gotta be kidding if that is his idea of fixing what's broke

Posted by: hart2014 | February 28, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 |

and it has NOTHING to do with CLASS you mental midget. It has to do with LOGIC. If you want to swallow everything some TSN expert has to say , be my guest. But if you choose to ignore how their expert analsyis frequently fails them after the fact, then you're just as stupid as they are.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton01 - agreed, this year's addition not so good so far. No reason to lose an Eakin or Kuznetsov to just go a round in. I'd like to see them pick up an Esa Tikkanen type: pesky and speedy player who can defend and at little cost. The 08 playoff team may have been our best, but the 09 team went to game 7 of round 2.

Saw something about the negative effects the Corvo/Walker pickups had in the locker room last year. Team never got its mojo back. (But, in truth, it was the Olympics, imho.)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Which two teams cstanton1?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thought

Steven Hindle
Curious as to why Mike Green is the reaction for why #Caps acquired Wideman. I'd say it's a safety net for Poti.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

-------

no worries. I can understand a coach supporting a move to a certain point. But Bruce takes it way too far. To call Wideman the best defensive pickup they could have made is just dishonest.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Two things I'm not thrilled about:

1) Wideman played a LOT of minutes this year on a very bad team. Man's been rode hard and put away wet and I can't think that's a good thing. The typical great late season pickup is of someone with fresh legs.

2) That salary cap hit is brutal and it's through next year. Just think of the Bears' blue line next year: Souray and Wideman! What a pair...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

And the Caps beat the Rags and lost to the Pens, not the Flyers.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Which two teams cstanton1?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 1:05 PM

i would guess TB and PIT - those are the only two teams the caps can seem muster up almost 60 minutes against.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Which two teams cstanton1?

Posted by: fanohock1

Tampa
Montreal
Possibly Carolina but they're underrated as usual

If Buffalo makes it instead of the CAnes, I would add them to the list of teams we match up well against in a series.

Again, forget reg season records. The playoffs are a different animal.

I think we lose to the Flyers
I think we lose to the Rags
I think we lose to Pitt as well but they're a wildcard because of their injures
And I think we lose to Boston.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Justafan | February 28, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

-------

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

same kind of mess that GM had last year with Corvo, etc. and this year when he spoke of the DJK for Della Rovere. guys are full of hot air.

Posted by: doughless | February 28, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I kind of agree with Steven Hindle about the trade being a reaction to Poti. Don't forget about a month ago when GMGM said he thoght our D would be great or whatever his exact words were once we got Poti back. Now it seems clear that Poti isn't coming back this year, so we make a trade for a replacement Poti, the only thing I am thinking about is what are we doing next year with all of these guys?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

According to Capgeek.com, the Caps will be $9.4 million under the cap going into next year.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Tim Leone
Since Wideman adds D-depth, perhaps there could be a trickle-down that increases the chances of Sloan ending up in Hershey.

I like that idea.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

And the Caps beat the Rags and lost to the Pens, not the Flyers.

Posted by: capsfan0837

typo. I saw it when I submitted it but got too lazy to correct.

But in hindsight, I could include the team that lost to Philly as well. I thought on paper that team was about as strong as we currently look with the exception of Poti playing big minutes.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok so everybody take note, these are the people that Cstanton has claimed he knows more than (and in most cases has called them idiots among other things I don't need to repeat)

1. GMGM
2. BB
3. Ted
Now everybody on TSN TradeCentre currently:
4. Bob McKenzie
5. Ray Ferraro
6. Billy Jaffe
7. Darren Pang
8. James Duthie
9. etc
10. etc
11. etc

You could use your knowledge to do so much good yet you chose to be a "richard". Your passion is evident yet misguided. I've tried to be civil with you in vain.

As far as Wideman, yeah let's not listen to his teammate who said he was the best Dman on the ice, lets listen to one Cstanton on a blog.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"Day's not over. So far we're down (approximately) 1 3rd round pick for 2 capable veterans. We need plenty more, but let's let it play out, please."

---

Meh. There's something to be said for "Letting it play out," but let's be real here. We've had a decade and a half of GMGM at the helm to learn his tendencies. It's not like he's known for his last-minute, hole filling, blockbuster trades.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 28, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

True, but that's without signing UFA's and RFA's. I know Laich is a UFa and Alzner is a RFA.

Haha! Capgeek is down. Too much traffic. couldn't go look and see who is a FA after the year.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

no 2nd line center. That amazes me. If we were to get a D I would have perferred Hejda.

Posted by: pkme | February 28, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

come on my scarf wearing friend - deliver a worthy 2C

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan0837

UFAs Brooks, Knuble, Bradley, B. Grodon

RFAs Varly, Alzner, MP.

I may be missing one but that is pretty much the list.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Which two teams cstanton1?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 1:05 PM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I agree that we do muster up a big effort v the Pens. I just think over a long series, the Pens have more tenacity, intestinal fortitude, etc.

In fact I have no doubt in my mind that the Pens will outwork us in a series. The only question in my mind is which players they'll be able to pull back into their lineup before the playoffs start. I don't think they need all their pieces back. But they do need some of them back. I think they can beat us without Malkin however.

Tampa I think is overrated. And the Sabres are a nothing team. The Canes are probably the best example of a no-name team who plays extremely well together and are the classic overachievers. I think we can beat them but we shouldn't be a favorite to really beat any team.

I included Montreal on that list because that's my gut feeling that despite what happened last year, we're not afraid of them. And they've suffered some injuries as well. Trading for Wisniewski was a good move on their part though. He gives them a little more jam on their backline. He's kind of like a young Craig Rivet type.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

As far as Wideman, yeah let's not listen to his teammate who said he was the best Dman on the ice, ...lets listen to one Cstanton on a blog.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha!

Hallelujah! Holy $h|t! Where's the Tylenol...

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Next year, up to the second, with expected cap increase. Had to drop Hannan unfortunately.

Ovechkin (2008-2021) 9.538
Cap Space (projected) 62.400
Available 4.575

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hannan is a UFA as well.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208

you're just an idiot. I wish I could refrain from responding to you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"He couldn't fill the glaring holes at 2C and DFD in the off-season when it's arguably 100x easier to do so (Because you're really only dealing with players, not other GMs), what makes you think he's going to do it now, when he has zero history of this?"

******

Well he did it 2 years ago, getting Huet, Federov, and Cooke

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman, for all we know Wildeman could be gone and we have your 2C and DFD before the day's out.

@cstanton1, I appreciate your contributions (some of the time), but I you and I definitely part ways when it comes to jumping down the throat of BB or GMGM for their public statements. They are meant for public consumption, and do not represent the inner thoughts and deep analyses you want to make them out to be. They are for the public, not a frank discussion on the relative assets of NHL'rs that might be related in an analytical conversation.

Posted by: Justafan | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

At least no other team has nabbed a center yet. A right-shot pp qb defender is not bad as long as he is tough and responsible in his own end. I imagine he is somewhat responsible playing for the Cats. The Cats have no offense, but good defense (yes, Voulkon helps a lot)

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

another trade

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Well he did it 2 years ago, getting Huet, Federov, and Cooke

Posted by: kjm1971

all good moves.

He should've re-signed Cooke. Fedorov ran out of steam by the middle of the Flyer series but his impact on Semin was tangible.

I don't think its too early to call Wideman what he is.

He's a decent player, nothing more. And he's going to be better or worse depending on who he plays with. And against whom he has to play.

He's not the guy that will carry a defensive pairing. He's a plug-in.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Edmonton sends D-Shawn Belle to Colorado.

Colorado sends D-Kevin Montgomery to Edmonton.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hannan is a UFA as well.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I knew I was forgeting someone. Also what trade all I have seen was some minor league trade?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208

you're just an idiot. I wish I could refrain from responding to you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, cstanton1 What prevented you from refraining? Was it your giant, arrogant ego or you poor decision making skills?

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not an "up to the minute" Cap guy but I did see right after the trade that we are now over the cap and we have to move somebody.

Glad to hear Green is "OK" and will only miss a couple of games. When I saw his head just bobblin around there I really thought he could be done for the yr or more.

So our top 6 D should be?

52/23
74/27
Wideman/4
(pretty decent top 6) definately better than last yr.

Or does BB(altho he shouldn't) put 55 w/52 and just mess everything up?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

you're gonna trash CANADA'S hockey media. Classy like you as always.
------------

Yeah, because Canada's hockey media is so notoriously fair and balanced - riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | February 28, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I've tried to be civil with you in vain.
--poker--

you've been nothing short of a d0uchebag actually.

Did I even make any comments to you at all today before you jumped on a post that was directed at another poster about Sarge and his statistics?

you're off your meds and delusional.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@Pokerface...

According to Capgeek.com we are over by 49K or so.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So our top 6 D should be?

52/23
74/27
Wideman/4
(pretty decent top 6) definately better than last yr.

Or does BB(altho he shouldn't) put 55 w/52 and just mess everything up?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

instead of reading about the Caps new 2C I'm reading criticisms by and of cstanton (mostly criticisms of him though). please just trade emails and settle it there.

I for one appreciate the fact the cstanton provides different, often opposing/negative view. I don't agree with it, but hate groupthink a lot more.

was wideman a great pickup? i don't know. but i enjoy reading your opinions, and it just wastes my time when I have to scroll through 5 msgs for every 1 actual comment.

please just drop it guys

Posted by: PSD1 | February 28, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan0837 |

Honestly, I guess it was the fact that I don't suffer fools easily. Did you want to join the list?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

We are only over the cap if Poti is off LTIR with this trade there is no way he comes back anytime soon.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's see... deadline's at 3, and there isn't a one trade limit per team today.

How about you wait and see if a) the caps do anything else or b) any trades go down at all today before you unknowledgeables start lighting torches and dusting off pitchforks.

Then again, look who we're talking about here.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

for those that want to keep track.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

did boston make a better trade for kaberle than we did. Bruins gave up a first round pick... I think we did better

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

hey Pokerexpert, since you claimed that Wideman was a "great dman for Boston", I'm guessing you followed his career there, correct?

so explain to me why Boston fans hated him so much? They booed the hell out of him when he played there. And if I'm not mistaken, they booed him again when he came to play there as a Panther.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ PSD1

Get with the program dude. Life isn't all rainbows, unicorns and puppy dogs. Bashing cstanton1 is our right and a great stress reliever during a season of heartache.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Dude if you're so effin smart, why aren't you in the game? Doing something, anything. I don't care if it's workin at the local hockey story. If you're so effin smart and know so much about so many players why aren't you a scout? I know you're story and if you were so good why was GMGM your only option? And don't come at me buddy I've done my time, what have you done? Sit in the background and call NHL coaches FAT, owners FAT, GMGM an idiot time and time again."

---

This is such a tired argument, I can't beleive people actually use it, are being serious, *and* think they're actually making a good point.

You simply don't need to be employed in a profession to be able to observe, evaluate, and comment on it. You don't. Often times, the *best* critiques come from people who are outside of a situation, because you can better grasp the entirety of what's going on when observing something from the outside.

I've said this to everyone who has made this terrible argument before - Have you never Criticized anything? Never a meal, movie, book, TV show, or Singer/Song you didn't like? Did you do so without being employed in those respective industries?

It's hockey, it's not rocket surgery. There's no Rosetta stone of knowledge that one needs to acquire before they can evaluate what's going on - just like EVERYTHING in life. Hockey is not special.

At the end of the day, you, me, cstanton, and GMGM have all lead the Washington Capitals to the exact same number of Stanley Cups.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 28, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"The only folks who really know how to evaluate these trades sit on message boards just like this."

LMAO. This guy is a riot.

Posted by: hock1 | February 28, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan0837

I wonder who this "new guy" is.

Never seen you before today. But apparently you know a lot about me.

I'm guessing its a chicknsht poster who won't post under his real name. Pretty sad when you have to run away on the internet.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

following up in the spirit of robocop...

another one to follow:

and TSN.ca's live chat with lots of comments and unimportant stuff, but very quick:

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 28, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

caps in on jp dumont???

Posted by: doughless | February 28, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1, not to pick one side or another on this argument because I haven't seen him enough but Caps fans booed Larry Murphy and after him Gonchar. Not sure fans are the best way to judge talent.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1

Add me to what list? List of people who think you're a tool? Yeah, I'm on that list already. But thank you for the consideration.

Posted by: capsfan0837 | February 28, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

oh my god, no one cares, its 90 minutes till the trade deadline stop having petty arguments

Posted by: landocalrissian | February 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

JP Dumont, I hope not.

Posted by: kgain73 | February 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

you're gonna trash CANADA'S hockey media. Classy like you as always.
------------

Posted by: Timbo_1 |
--------------------------------------
Never said anythng about "bias". The conversation was of "intelligence". More specifically as it relates to hockey.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Props to doughless, cstanton et al. for sticking-up for Johnny Rock Star as the koolaiders salivate over Wideman.

TIME TO GIVE ****55 AWAY IF WE CAN!

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

LMAO. This guy is a riot.

Posted by: hock1 |

Where did you go running off the other night? Didn't you get chased outta here with your tail tween your legs?

All these lurkers. Like to pop off when they see an opportune moment. Shows a lack of character in my book. You can't stand on your own two feet or on the weight of your own arguments, so you hide around and wait for a moment to jump on someone else's argument or coattails.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

new thread, and get over yourselves people.

Posted by: PhilR | February 28, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the argument is tired, but just as you don't need credentials to criticize, you also don't have full credibility. Thus it's easy to dismiss silly comments, especially about player value from bloggers/commenters.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

JP Dumont, I hope not.

Posted by: kgain73 | February 28, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry it came from Ecklund, all is well.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't think its too early to call Wideman what he is.

He's not the guy that will carry a defensive pairing. He's a plug-in.
--------------

A very fair assessment of Wideman - in fact I think cstanton's being generous. I admit I am partial to puck-moving D, but Wideman is so slow that often gets negated against good forwards, who take away his time and space. Yes, he had great +/- up in Boston - paired with Chara, on a very strong B's team, backstopped by two terrific goalies and very strong down the middle [Krecji-Bergeron-Savard].

A good PP is essential in the playoffs and I'm optimistic Wideman will help there, but who he's paired with even-strength will determine if this was really a good pickup. I don't see Zdeno Chara back there, just yet.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | February 28, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton1

Add me to what list?
Posted by: capsfan0837

the list of people who go creating a new username to make themselves feel better.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan0837

I wonder who this "new guy" is.

Never seen you before today. But apparently you know a lot about me.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

THERE'S the cstant martyr-complex we all know and love.

Heaven forbid someone new should show up, take offense to someone's tone, and comment.

Appreciate the insight as always, bud, and, no, I'm not being sarcastic.

(And you're not the only one who doesn't suffer fools lightly. Some of us just let them have their say and move on. Some you have to say something to SOME of the time or they just run amok.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

NHL network says Green out up to 2 weeks

Posted by: heathdog1119 | February 28, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Strange. The term "Richard" had occurred to me to be an apt description of a couple posters today. Pokerface nailed it on one of them. It is pathetic that another poster felt the need to "wave a white flag" in a post directed at cstanton1 to try to deflect the expected ire.

Posted by: _Mark | February 28, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 |

And Edm and NYR fans booed Poti off the ice and off the team

Fans DO know a lot.

As to the Murphy and Gonchar comments. Gonchar was playing bad defensive hockey when he was a Capital. When he went to Pittsburgh, he became a more well rounded player. I see nothing wrong with Caps fans who booed Gonchar. He deserved it at the time.

Murphy is a discussion best served for another day.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark |

oh look, another lurker.

How did I respond to the "white flag" comment? Pretty fairly I thought.

So go fk off.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman
------------------------------------------
I knew somebody would bring this up so thank you. The context in which I mean it isn't that there isn't valuable input on blogs.

My point is to 1 person only. When 1 person lives on a blog and always knows more than everybody else, that is tired. It's almost noon so I can have my Captain then so I'll be fine in 20 minutes.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I give credit to people who have played the game, worked in the game, worked the management offices, and coached a team or two. They have hands-on knowledge that trumps, in my opinion, someone whose only credit is making observations and "studying" it. So I disagree when someone makes comments, enrages others, and then sits there smugly and fails to answer a direct question: Other than your years of observations, most insulting to anyone and everyone who disagrees with you, how else do you come up with your logic, if you've never coached nor managed nor played the game? To dismiss the opinions of others simply because you think they're fat, stupid, a moron, and wears cheerleading outfits or rose-colored glasses, what else do you have to support your opinion which is irrelevant in the big scheme of things? I give the win to pokerface.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

handbags at ten paces!

will you folks quit blogslapping each other? seriously...i'm on here because people know stuff about trades, players, caps etc. and i hate wading through your petty dross in order to cull some meaningful information about my dear Capitals

that is all

Posted by: mcintire_will | February 28, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

cstant does plenty to back up his arguments. (tmac . . . meh)

He just gets really heated over small things (that may not even be directed at him) and mistakes disagreement over his tone with disagreement over his judgment.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

handbags at ten paces!

that is all

Posted by: mcintire_will | February 28, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Heathdog
Not sure if it was in error but BB said 2 GAMES not weeks. Unless of course something changed but how could it? He's in Calgary for his Gmother's funeral.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I give credit to people who have played the game, worked in the game, worked the management offices, and coached a team or two. They have hands-on knowledge that trumps, in my opinion, someone whose only credit is making observations and "studying" it. So I disagree when someone makes comments, enrages others, and then sits there smugly and fails to answer a direct question: Other than your years of observations, most insulting to anyone and everyone who disagrees with you, how else do you come up with your logic, if you've never coached nor managed nor played the game? To dismiss the opinions of others simply because you think they're fat, stupid, a moron, and wears cheerleading outfits or rose-colored glasses, what else do you have to support your opinion which is irrelevant in the big scheme of things?"

---

What's the value of all of this alleged experience if it doesn't translate to the ultimate professed goal?

That's the point. GMGM has 15 years of GM experiences. What has that delivered? If he is so much smarter, knows so much more about hockey, and has so much more experience that accounts for something, why can't he get it done?

He's been here for *almost 15 bloody years* at what point does someone stop getting the "well, he obviously knows more than me, he's this great, learned Hockey GM" free pass and start getting some "Hey, maybe this guy *doesn't* know what he's doing?

I mean, Dan Snyder has more experience as an NFL owner than any of us. Does that mean he knows more about football, how to build an effective championship-winning team thought wise drafting and free agent acquisition than any of us?

At some point you have to start delivering, or people will (rightly) start questioning your credentials. Continuing this false appeal to authority over and over again is ridiculous.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 28, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

cstant does plenty to back up his arguments. (tmac . . . meh)
-----------

Don't be too hard on tmac - too many years witnessing GMGM's control of his beloved Caps has done a number on the poor guy ;-)

Posted by: Timbo_1 | February 28, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@VTD,

Pretty much agree with you - it's about results.

Except that there are only 50 GMs in the last 50 years to have won a Cup: there have practically been 50 different GMs in the NHL the last two years. (j/k, mostly)

I pretty much agree it's McPhee's time to go. I don't think his failure to win a Cup is the strongest argument.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

And not that anyone's still here, but I should correct: 49 GMs have won Cups the last 50 yrs.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

No Arnott - please!

Good questions about Fehr, Poti, etc. What the heck are the plans for them? I'd say we'd be willing sellers with those two right now. We are short in goal so I'm thinking that's our most likely next area of interest.

Wouldn't mind if we could pluck one of them speedy blueliners from Colorado, though.

The dark lord of the goats blood drinkers does make a good point: having a d-man who makes intelligent and crisp passes with the puck is a great thing, but he needs to have that puck. Puck retrieval, speed and quickness has been a perennial issue with our blueline. If Wideman is as slow afoot as some are saying, this may not be the best thing...But good luck Caps. It's not like people are just giving away the farm here, folks...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But at the end of the day, neither poster has brought in a Stanley Cup, so why do you give credit to one who talks like a tool just because someone disagrees with him and is futilely reminded to check his ego at the door but insists on carrying it like it gives him a pass-through to disrespect others on here? No one should be given that kind of leeway, regardless of the level of importance he gives himself and his words.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

No one - even cstant himself - denies that he is a jerk, Lefty. And no one is giving him a free pass.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

At this point I only stop by here at particular moments such as trade day because I want to know what different people are thinking, but I have to say I wish you would let go of your need to "argue" with other posters and let go of certain subjects--BB and GMGM--unless you have something fresh to say.

You often offer some great insight and analysis (although I always take your opinions with a grain of salt because you have particular prejudices) so I will usually read your posts for your take on a player or a situation or a need or a game analysis.

But when you go into attack mode and try your best to incite other posters, it gets tired. And the thread instantly devolves in mindless hurling of insults.

Let's not go down that dark path. Use your knowledge for good and stop reacting to other posters. As I tell my son, it takes two to argue.

My personal take on the Wideman acquisition--good. A necessary move. This team needed a defenseman with Poti being an unknown for the lineup and Sloan getting a sweater too often for comfort. Don't know whether he's the "best" choice but I feel much better relying on Hannan and him than on Sloan. Please note that I am NOT making a value judgement on Erskine as I expect him to see a lot of ice time too. We need more than 6 d-men.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 28, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

People tend to, if they don't call him out on it. I think it's disgusting that someone has to wave a white flag just to make an opposing comment. Any normal person should be able to make similar comments like he does without insulting anyone's intelligence or point of view. Why doesn't he act like a level-headed expert? Because he doesn't tolerate fools well, as he egotistically stated? Really? That's the excuse he gives for being a jerk. Wow. Only in America.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Nope, I agree it's disgusting, unwarranted, and unwanted, but it's a very old issue on this blog. He'll continue to use it to "vent," ruining it for many, and he'll continue to get called on it when he's a jerk.

We massage the thing as we wish - it's the internet. I think most people (readers and commenters) in the community appreciate it when he gets called on it. Keep it up.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 28, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Caps get Arnott for Steckel.

Posted by: ttenner | February 28, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse