Posted at 12:17 AM ET, 02/15/2011

Mike Green's injury clarified: 'Inner ear trauma'

By Katie Carrera

Coach Bruce Boudreau said that Mike Green missed the Capitals' 3-2 loss to Phoenix on Monday night because of an "inner ear trauma" but although the defenseman didn't feel well he is still with the team on the road trip.

It's likely the inner-ear problem stems from when Green was struck in the head by a puck on Feb. 6 against Pittsburgh. Green was hit by a slap shot near his right ear in Washington's 3-0 win over the Penguins that day, required stitches, did not return to that contest and also missed the next game.

I'll have more to come tomorrow on the Capitals' power play, which despite generating chances, taking 14 shots and resembling a confident power-play unit, still failed to score on five different opportunities with the man advantage and was perhaps the biggest difference in Monday night's game. Washington is 3 for 43 on the power play in the past 14 games for a success rate of only 6.97 percent.

"They were moving it around, they looked like a power play," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "Our entries were fine, I thought for sure we were going to score a couple goals on it but sometimes it's not meant to be.... It hurts more when you play a really good game. I thought we played a really good game tonight in all aspects and then you don't get rewarded for it."

This game hinged on the Capitals' inability to convert on the power play and it's what ultimately prevented a good overall performance from having a positive ending. What's been the challenge for Washington all season has been finding ways to roll strong performances -- win or lose -- over into the next outing. Wednesday in Anaheim is when the Capitals will see if they are able to build off of a much better showing than either of their previous two contests.

"For the most part we played our system properly and part of it was not scoring on the power play," Matt Bradley said. "We had a couple chances and I thought the power play did a great job, but in the end you've got to score goals I guess."

Washington is now 0-6-1 in its past seven outings against the Western Conference.

By Katie Carrera  | February 15, 2011; 12:17 AM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Mike Green, Phoenix Coyotes  | Tags:  Injury, Mike Green, Phoenix Coyotes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green scratched in Phoenix with undisclosed injury
Next: On the fourth line's up and down night against Phoenix

Comments

more excuses as usual! Man, this is getting old

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 15, 2011 12:32 AM | Report abuse

more complaining from the peanut gallery as usual! Man, this is getting old

Posted by: sabredc | February 15, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

From Ed Frankovic' blog. This was the point I was trying to make but not nearly as well:

"When the Caps switched to a more defensive hockey posture in mid December, the message was that they were working on that style so that they could use it in the playoffs, when needed. The result has been that the goal scoring has practically disappeared due to the lack of offensive zone pressure that used to create turnovers and scoring opportunities in Boudreau’s aggressive scheme. The players don’t look like they are having fun playing this system, nor do they look like the right combination of guys to do it. McPhee and Boudreau need to take a hard look at this scheme change and determine if it is the correct one, and if so, figure out which guys they should keep around to play it come April"

Posted by: caraveli | February 15, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

@KOOL AIDERS

THERE ARE ABOUT 30 OF YOU JERKS WHO RODE CSTANTON AND TMAC ALL YEAR LONG. SOME OF YOU WERE PRETTY NASTY ABOUT IT. LET'S HERE SOME APOLOGIZES TO THESE BOYS FOR NAILING THIS THING DEAD ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:36 AM | Report abuse

@caraveli

Lose it dude. There is no D system they're running. The Caps got "game planned" by Jacque in the play offs, and the rest of the league figured them out as softies. Any idiot can see that these guys aren't hustling. The type of hockey that wins in the playoffs requires maximum effort. Little effort there by Semin and the rest of the "pansie patrol".

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:41 AM | Report abuse

The FINAL SOLUTION to all the Craps problems.

Trade King and Hendricks to Habs for Kostitsyn and Pyatt.

Fire Boudreau, hire Kirk Muller(aka the real dude who brought down that great Leviachkin) in the offseason.

I'm being serious with one solution and totally joking with the other.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | February 15, 2011 1:43 AM | Report abuse

@sabre

Weren't you blastin' all the goats blooders when they were sounding the alarm.

Get out of here man !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Leave it to Craps fans to bash their own player on a subject they don't know about.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | February 15, 2011 1:45 AM | Report abuse

@slurpie

You're another goof ball who was slammin' guys like Cstanton when they predicted this. You should go away too !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 15, 2011 1:46 AM | Report abuse

@slurpie

--------------------

lol. I was a goat blood drinker before I jumped the plank. I _was_ on your side. You'd like Muller. He was a scoring forward who became a checking forward when he couldn't score any more.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | February 15, 2011 1:50 AM | Report abuse

I thought they played a decent game.. If they can "will" in one of those 14 PP shots, or Neuvi learns to cover the 5 hole, they at least get out of there with a point, if not two..

Semin looks like his groin (or vag) is still hurt.. Very little hustle so far, in his 3 games back..

Only bright side is it could be one game closer to GMGM manning up and leaving BB on the west coast.. (Or better yet, Ted manning up and leaving them BOTH out there!!)

Posted by: mickstix | February 15, 2011 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Ted can start buying tickets for this bunch. The games are boring, the team is impotent. This coach has clearly not been the answer for a looooooong time.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | February 15, 2011 2:33 AM | Report abuse

inner ear trauma? Can they possibly be any more vague?!?!!!

Posted by: Thundershock | February 15, 2011 3:24 AM | Report abuse

One more nail in BigBaby's coffin. I hope the Caps lose all 5 so by the time they get back, firing BB is the only option left. I don't like to see the Caps lose, but short term pain for long term gain (a bona fide NHL coach) is worth it. Can that blowhard NOW!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 15, 2011 5:19 AM | Report abuse

And don't replace BigBaby with one of his assistants. Find a hard-nosed coach from outside the system who will hold all players accountable, not just the ones who make less than 1.5 million/year.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 15, 2011 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you get a Stanley Cup for "Moral Victories?" I bet we have more than anyone else in the league if you listen to our players and coaches.

Posted by: OldCapCenter | February 15, 2011 6:22 AM | Report abuse

I have gotten to the point where I can't watch a full Cap's game from start to finish. It is boring. I have been watching them for over twenty years and have never felt this way before. I would rather watch Hanlon's overachievers lose than this bunch of underachievers. They are pathetic.

They skate up and down the ice avoiding contact if at all possible and fire the puck into the goalies pads. On defense, they are playing tighter but still avoid contact.

I remember King Clancy said about his Toronto defense that they could go into the corners with their pockets filled with eggs and come out without breaking any... Sounds like the Caps defense to me.

This is not a a hockey team. Its closer to to the "Ice Follies" show.

Where is Backstrom? Knuble is AWOL. Captain Ovechkin is not leading. Semin is still "being creative". Schultz is "watching it happen".

Not enough heart on this team. Not enough hockey players. No passion, not enough desire.

Plenty of fast cars, big bank accounts and beautiful women. Who needs hockey?

Posted by: muddapucker | February 15, 2011 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Kool-aider here who already gave cstanton1 props for his suggestions even though I used to argue with him.

Are you people that are going to complain really claim that Ovechkin didn't skate his @$$ off last night. He was everywhere. Of all games, even though Bradley scored, I refuse to give our grinders props. The grinders are not the reason we lost, no way, but that was probably Hendricks weakest game in a long time.

Anyone claiming to be a fan of this team for 20 years and never feeling this way before has not been a fan for 20 years. The problem is, the old familiar feeling is BACK. Every time I watch the Caps now I HOPE they win instead of know they're are going to win. The last two years I haven't felt like that. Every other year for my Caps I have felt exactly like I do this year.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 15, 2011 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the Internet. This injury strikes me as the kind that maybe comes back to bite you. Maybe this leads to vertigo or other balance problems (which strikes me as an issue for a hockey play), and almost certainly gets aggravated by flying in pressurized aircraft. I'm waving the "potentially larger issue" flag now.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 15, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

One other thing that has me concerned with the lack of moves by GMGM right now. I have a sinking feeling he is unsure whether we are going to be buyers or sellers by the 28th of February. If we come off of this road trip back in 8th or below I suspect BB will be fired and we will be trading as sellers.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 15, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

The Caps CAN be buyers (2C, please), if they can successfully proposition a legitimate coach to whip these guys into shape. If they stay with BB, they may as well trade good players to good teams to see how well they can do elsewhere. Imagine Backstrom with the Pens, Flyers, or Redwings? And trading Semin for a player who is much less of an enigma may be a good idea, too.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 15, 2011 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch this team lose a 6-5 game like the last couple of years, than to watch these 1 and 2 goals duds. I hardly get excited about goals anymore, cause I know it's probably the only one they will score....just another fans lament.

Posted by: bloodontheice | February 15, 2011 7:35 AM | Report abuse

What if this is some incredibly devious master plan? Play like s**t all season, barely squeak into the playoffs and then turn it on, If and when, you get into the playoffs. Whoops... that is a made for TV movie and not reality. And this team is not that smart or clever.
What did Ovi, Backstrom and Semin do this past off season? Didn't many other stars (like Crosby) spend it working on his game? I am curious as to how the Caps work ethic off season relates to their current play (or lack thereof).

Posted by: aldie2greer | February 15, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

We need to move Backstrom. Watching him play hurts my eyes, and it's not my nice big HD TV causing it.

I will commend Ovechkin...he played with a lot of heart and effort last night (but he always does that on road trips, because they probably have curfews which means less vodka tonics..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 15, 2011 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Didn't many other stars (like Crosby) spend it working on his game?

Posted by: aldie2greer | February 15, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

If I see one more comment or hear one more tv/radio analyst talk about how hard Crosby works in the off season I'm going to puke all over my keyborad - we get it.

Posted by: bloodontheice | February 15, 2011 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Bring in Iginla for leadership.

We need a coach with some Stanley Cup experience...

Or someone who had the hard knocks of the NHL...

Sutter (pick one)
Muller

??

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 15, 2011 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Really? Did Backstrom really play that bad last night in the eyes of a lot of you? IMO Backstrom really played a solid game last night. Johansson played very well too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 15, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"Bring in Iginla for leadership."

That's funny because I was going to say the same thing, except that they needed "leadership" on the ice.

No Federov, no Clark....

They traded all of thier veterans away or just didn't sign them and it's not a surprise they starting falling apart after GMGM made all of those needless trades last year.

This didn't just start this year, they have been in a funk since the Olympics last year. I can't think of anybody on this team beyond Knuble who has even played in a Cup or even an important game.

I have also lost confidence in BB. His anwser to losing a game is "switching the lines up" and that's pretty pathetic.

Something's gotta give because they are REALLY underachieving right now. Even the boneheads on Versus were making fun of the Caps last night, that's not good.

What they are doing now just isn't working, but it really seems like the blind is leading the blind right now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 15, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom- doesn't skate. He glides.

Secondly, he missed 2 glorious scoring chances that would have been tap-ins for HIM last year.

He has been a huge disappointment. Looks sluggish...and looks like he gives no effort.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 15, 2011 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Alex Semin hasn't scored this Winter. Lord knows he won't score in the Spring. Unless we can move some games to Summer, he is a one season player. Fall. Quite symbolic isn't it.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 15, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Folks are really emotional and some are just plain funny comments. I like HunterforCoach and Bernie's posts. I especially liked the drug comment directed towards me.. Let me say this those that think we should trade Backstrom should seek a mental health professional. That is the most isane, irrational thought I have heard and now I am hearing it from multiple places. Please stop that nonesense. I have confidence in Backstrom. Also get rid of our first line center when we do not even have a true 2nd line center makes absolutely no sense. Backstrom is still a great player who happens to be having a rough time. The guy never misses a game whether or not he is injured or not. He is one of the best two way players in hockey and you fools want to trade him. Stop being emotional and think about your comments more thoughtfully.

Posted by: pkme | February 15, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Kirk Muller as a possible replacement coach. Unfortunately the Caps can't hire him until the offseason.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

The quote from the San Jose game still rings true; "Caps Sucks"

Here are some random thoughts, suggestions and ideas:

-That 10 minute "players only" meeting appeared to be time well spent. What a friggin' joke! 10 minutes to turn this mess around?? PLEASE!!

-Sorry Matt Hendricks and DJK for bringing you here and having to deal with these whiny turds. Matt, love the effort and passion but how long can you put up with this crap being one of the lowest paid players on the team? DJK-you need to get in shape-and no, I understand round is a shape but not the one we need you to be in. How about you start beating on some of the players in your locker room.

Start with the wussy Green for being Green and wearing slippers and riding an orange Vespa. Incidentally, Green has been spotted spending an excessive amount of time in the Dupont Circle area of DC.

All you have to do is glare at Schults and he will pee himself-what a big Dufus!

The next time Big Baby comes into your sight, tell him you are going to slap the mystery sauce off his face and then watch his jowls start rattling like two bulldogs under a blanket. He will pee himself.

The next time you see GMGM choke him out using his own scarf-now thats karma. It was him who lied to us (and you) and said that you were going to contribute to this team. He traded a future stud for you and now you ride Big Baby's pine. Once again, the fans got McPheed!!

Have a few harsh words with Carl Alzner. He is quickly becoming as soft as Schultz. Leave Carlson alone with John Erskine and maybe some of Erskines grit will rub off on him. Tyler Sloan and Hannan need a beating but aren't worth any effort.

Leave the goalies and the fourth line guys alone except Steckel. Just slap him so he will never attempt to chick fight again.

Cut Backstroms hair (looks like straw anyways) off and knock out some more of Ovie's teeth. Maybe they will start playing then.

Leave Semin and Chim Chim alone so they can earn a living as extras on the next Planet of the Apes movie.

Leave Knuble alone, he has earned his stripes in his earlier days.

I am guessing the rest of the Caps clowns will get in line and at least try to play with some dignity and effort after this.

Relax ladies-I joke!! Seriously though, we are in deep trouble here. I think BB has lost the locker room. He often says that coaching is similar to parenting. He has spoiled some of his "kids" and treated others like crap and now it is coming to fruition. Spoiled kids will come back to haunt you as they are now. BB has to go along with GMGM. They are terrible and we deserve better. Ted also deserves better but he must not see that yet.

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 15, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Did Snyder but the Capitals?

Posted by: mpemberton | February 15, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Did Snyder buy the Capitals?

Posted by: mpemberton | February 15, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@ mpemberton

Nope but Ted has spent to much time with him and now it is no longer about winning, its about looking good, making movies, telling people what you think they want to hear but not listening to a single thing they say and writing for your blog. Oh and I forgot taking their money and running away laughing.

Posted by: bqts | February 15, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"Weren't you blastin' all the goats blooders when they were sounding the alarm.

Get out of here man !!!!!!!!!!"

You crack me up, hunterforcoach. "Sounding the alarm"? What is this, a national tragedy because the Caps aren't going to win the division every year for the rest of time? If you don't know, every game consists of two teams. I can't help but laugh at the people who think every loss means that the Capitals organization is in dire straits. Furthermore, I laugh because everyone here takes a sports team so seriously. Sports are meant to be entertaining and fun to watch. If it is that painful to watch the Caps, maybe some of you people should root for another team? Watching sports isn't meant to be devastating to your life force. It's meant to be enjoyed. The Caps are not a publicly-owned company and you're not shareholders. You're simply consumers of a product and you're free to take your business elsewhere if you are unhappy with your purchases. Everyones' actions are similar to calling for the CEO of Walmart to resign because the cashier shorted you a quarter.

I hope all of you people with season tickets (although, considering that you're all on here every day on game day, I assume that many of you don't have season tickets) give them up at the end of the year. It will make it easier for people like me, who love the Caps but could never really afford season tickets until now, to buy them.

Posted by: sabredc | February 15, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The CURSE of LES BOULEZ....

Thanks ted for buying the hapless bullets.

now both teams are going down...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 15, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Shultz is the biggest 6.6 pansy on the planet. The guy is always standing around with his head up his arse. Cant hit anyone or clear the zone to save his arse

Ovi played well last night - But let's be honest should he wear the C?

BB has lost the team. Can't fire the team. Coach has gotta go. GMs genius idea to Play this style... Agree trades last year were a mistake The caps just don't have the personnel to do it. Give me 5-3 wins and out in the 2nd round of the playoffs anyday. This is the most boring hockey now.

Posted by: rskinsfan | February 15, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ovi played well last night - But let's be honest should he wear the C?

Posted by: rskinsfan | February 15, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Caps need to find a way to score on the power play. Can we find someone that will screen the goalie??? The perimeter shooting with no screen isn't working. Almost every other game that I watch and the team scores on a PP, there is a screen involved. Caps start scoring on the PP and a lot of the problems go away.

Posted by: jmcale57 | February 15, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

so glad I won't have to go to war with the doofus brigade...or cross the country on Consestoga Trail...can you imagine how they would freak out when confronted with any difficulties?

Posted by: boomer44 | February 15, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I think to an extent Ovechkin is perceived as not working as hard in the offseason as Crosby because they're just different personalities.
Crosby is not nearly as outgoing as Ovechkin. He(Crosby)may eat at McDonalds during the offseason too but he isn't having a camera crew document it. Crosby also is pretty much a hermit...rarely goes out and if he does its with teammates.
Ovechkin is just a more outgoing personality from what I've seen. Because he hasn't had a "normal" year there is more attention paid to his offseason activity.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 15, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@KOOL AIDERS

Posted by: Hunterforcoach

Um...no thanks! I don't deny the teams struggles, but the disrespect shown to people who know a lot more about hockey than any of us was astounding...They played a good game last night with a bad outcome...I have no problem with firing BB, but the man took the team pretty far in 3 years.

Saying what needs to be done is easy...getting it done is a heck of a lot more tricky! You can say make this move and fire this guy will solve everything, but trades are complicated, coaching is complicated, and being a judgemental spectator of a sport is REALLY EASY!

Posted by: capscoach | February 15, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't have said it better this team is lost. BB lost touch with this team when he changed to a dump and chase offense. These European players are raised playing fast pace games with tic tack passing Why did they Change The defense did't lose to in the playoffs the offense didn't score. We didn't lose by 5 goals we lost 2-1 2-0 just like we are doing now so why change to a defensive minded team. Go back to playing like they did and these players will get on board. They don't believe in this system.

Posted by: fs02 | February 15, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Biggest mistake the Caps had made...making Ovie captain. I really don't think this clear lack of motivation and work ethic would be happening if Laich or Knuble were chosen. Ovie is not a great example for his teammates. I keep thinking back to 24/7 when the locker room looked like a bunch of pouty little boys. No leadership.
I think BB is starting to fall on deaf ears, but a coach can only do so much to motivate. It has to come from peers.

Also, looking more and more like the new system is a mistake. How come good defense and strong offense are mutually exclusive for this team?

PS: How much did we regret not signing Eric Belanger when we saw him playing for Phx last night. Would love to have him on the 2nd line instead of MJ or MP.

Posted by: ccg21 | February 15, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, inner ear injury? That would affect his balance. Could be more serious than anyone realizes.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | February 15, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse