Posted at 11:55 AM ET, 02/19/2011

McNeill reassigned to Hershey, other practice notes

By Washington Post editors

There's no internet access in the Hockey Outlet in North Tonawanda, N.Y., where the Capitals are having practice this morning, so Katie Carrera filed some notes via Blackberry:

-- The Capitals have reassigned defenseman Patrick McNeill to Hershey. McNeill was called up on Tuesday.

-- Mike Green, who has missed the past three games with an inner-ear trauma, is skating with the team.

-- Eric Fehr is back in a yellow no-contact jersey.

-- The lines:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Johansson-Semin
Chimera-Perreault-Hendricks
Gordon-Steckel-Bradley-King

By Washington Post editors  | February 19, 2011; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  Eric Fehr, Mike Green, Patrick McNeill
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on the trade deadline from Caps GM George McPhee
Next: Capitals back East, readying for a 'very pivotal' game against Sabres

Comments

First! :)

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Like I told people a month ago, GMGM is willing to deal Semin, and I was told I was wrong by a few people. It has now been confirmed by multiple league scouts according to the Toronto Sun that McPhee is indeed shopping Semin.

For people that question the Richards rumored offer, I said it is indeed a rumor and doubt that we actually made that offer.

Sheldon Souray on re-entry waivers today. So a team is interested in him.

Posted by: ThePat | February 19, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Backes won't be available. My guess is that he will be the next captain of that team. He is one of their core guys they are building around.

Note: All of these "untradeable" guys could all be gotten if they were offered an incredible and overwhelming amount, but they are not looking to trade those guys for picks and prospects.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Do you have a link to that article?

While it may be true that Semin is being shopped, a small quote quoting unnamed scouts is not really confirmation, just more speculation. Not saying it isn't true, just saying it is a "it may be happening it may not" situation.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

HEAR AND THERE

Don’t be surprised to see the Washington Capitals make a move soon. GM George McPhee (fondly — for now — known as GMGM in the District) has been working the phones, and scouts say he has been dangling forward Alexander Semin to improve his team ... From the “Other Shoe” Department: The Colorado Avalanche traded goalie Craig Anderson to the Ottawa Senators Friday and word is they are looking at a guy like Jonathan Bernier of the Los Angeles Kings as a long-term solution in net.

Posted by: ThePat | February 19, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Im 95% sure it is true from everything I have heard. He is not yet fully healthy and they still brought him back off the IR so teams could watch him play.

Posted by: ThePat | February 19, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

It might be, and you may be privy to more information than me, but from my standpoint and the information that I am able to get, I can only look at it as a rumor.

In addition, I don't buy most of those trade speculation's in the Canadian papers citing unnamed scouts. The one above about Kessel being shopped was vehemently shot down.

You may very well be 100% right about this, but for me, I just don't know. I would like to see some more substantial reporting such as other writers confirming they heard similar things and then I would believe it more.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Oh I know and I dont blame you. Just providing information that supports what I have said. Kind of like you do with your stats :)

Posted by: ThePat | February 19, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Also Caps and Oils have talked trade for Hemsky but right now Oilers want Carlson or Alzner in return according to Ryan Rishaug of TSN.

Posted by: ThePat | February 19, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

No access as in completely no signal there or as in the washington post is too cheap to give a beat reporter an air card?

Because generally the blackberry won't work where there is no signal, but given that it worked an air card would work as well.

Posted by: O-V-P | February 19, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sheldon Souray on re-entry waivers today. So a team is interested in him.

@ ThePat

I told my hockey buddies that I believed Souray was basically on a "try out" with the Caps earlier this season when I heard that he was on "loan" to Hershey. That hasn't materialized partly because of injury, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Souray is a Cap within the week providing he's healthy. So if that's the oly move we make that's OK with me. I still cling to the hope that either Richards or Iginla will be on their way by Feb 28. I doubt that sending Semin to one of these teams is plausible. I think they both want to get rid of big contracts and acquire more inexpensive assets.

Posted by: Cayugalaker | February 19, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth - (from an earlier post)

It's entirely possible that GMGM is compelling BB to do the more "defensive" style. And it's not a good fit. The team seemed so much happier on Tuesday playing the old balls-to-the-walls style.

But there have been several subtle signs BB has given to show how little power he has - he runs practices, he taps players on shoulders, he selects (I guess) the players who play that night. During training camp his comments seemed to indicate that his own preferences for who was on the team didn't matter...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 19, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

WOW really???

The players seemed much happier when they didn't have to work hard, not worry about defense and just play pond hockey???

I'm shocked!?!?!?!?

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I would not trade Alzner or Carlson for pretty much anyone right now(yes, I would for Doughty, Shea Weber, Stamkos, etc. I mean guys who are actually being traded).

They are two very good young players who have already proven to be a 1st pairing D quality and are only going to get better with experience. In addition, but very important, they are cheap. That is very important to have.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------

I would trade Alzner for Bogosian in a minute.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Did people see this quote by St. Louis' GM:

"But I like our forward group now with [T.J.] Oshie, [David] Backes, Stewart, with [David] Perron coming back some point, and [Patrik] Berglund and [Alexander] Steen."

You notice that he didn't name Boyes. Maybe it means nothing, but it may be an indication that he may be moved. The price to acquire him may not that be that high either(his contract being the reason for that).

I'm not saying the Caps should get him, but he would seem like a reasonable option that wouldn't cost too much if the Caps are unable to make the big splash.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Alzner for Bogosian in a minute.

Posted by: joek443

That would be interesting. I'm not sure where I fall on that one, but would understand someone wanting to do that.

It always worries me though when a team wants to get rid of a such high pick so quickly. It makes you wonder.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The Blues top-9 is looking really good at the moment (when everyone is healthy). I especially like the look of (my) second line here.

Boyes(C)-Steen(C)-Backes
Perron-Oshie(C)-Stewart
McDonald(C)-Berglund(C)-D'agostini
Winchester-Sobotka(C)-Crombeen

Half of these players are listed as C on NHL.com, and seeing that they have traded away their top-2 ice-timeleading d-men, maybe Schultz+ could be of any interest for a C in return?

Posted by: Walle | February 19, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

Haha. That is good and so true.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

- Eric Fehr is back in a yellow no-contact jersey.

Schultz, Gordon, and Steckel should wear yellow jerseys during the game.

Posted by: StanleyCap | February 19, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're talking about the same team that got rid of Braydon Coburn, right??

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So could Souray be the "bad contract" GM was talking about. At half price he won't be that bad (especially if we can somehow get rid of Poti as a part of that move, he can go on waivers and be Nylandered for all I care but maybe we can trade him to the Jackets for a puck). He shoots left and has a blast from the point so we can finally get Ovie off the point on the PP and just have Souray and Green plus we would not have to give up anything.

What I really fear is we trade Alzner or worse Calrson and replace him with Souray. Souray has lost at least two steps from what I have heard and I don't think he can play the kind of minutes Alzner/Carlson can.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 19, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I would trade Alzner, but not Carlson. No thanks to Hemsky. He misses too many games to injuries. I would rather have Penner.

Posted by: StanleyCap | February 19, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCap

Even though i agree with you, Steckel has the 6th most hits on our team this year.

I wouldn't be all against Schultz-Souray as a 3rd D-pair. I like Erskine more than Schultz, but i think that pair could use Schultz positioning if Souray hast lost a step or two.

I would trade Alzner for Bogosian, but i doubt that would be enough for Atl.

Posted by: Walle | February 19, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Whoever wants to trade Alzner is a coplete morrrrron. He is our best def defender and has a great chemistry with Carlson.He can also play the point on the powerplay /use to do it in Hershey and was pretty good!/
Wouldn't trade him for anybody!
If we just can get rid of 55 and sigh a 2nd line center we'll be in good shape.
/another 2nd line wing instead of Brooksy would be perfect too/

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't trade him for anybody!
---------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO I'm sorry but has Alzner won a Norris already???

I think you're a complete MORON for making such a blanket statement. There are at least 20 d-men better than him in the NHL right now.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@joek443
yeah if you think Bogosian is one of them it is obvious how is the MORON here!

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@Tondi...what kind of jerk posts that he or she is first? Get a life.

Posted by: capper3 | February 19, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@joek443
yeah if you think Bogosian is one of them it is obvious who is the MORON here!

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@ capper3
dude if you can't get it that's your problem!

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Rick Green the best d-man on the Caps in 1982?

So by your logic Poile was a complete moron for trading him for Langway, right???

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

hey Tondi, if you ask every GM in the league who they would rather have, Alzner or Bogosian, who would you bet your house on???

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

- Eric Fehr is back in a yellow no-contact jersey.

Schultz, Gordon, and Steckel should wear yellow jerseys during the game.

_________________________________________

Not so sure about Gordo but totally agree with the other big boys mentioned...drives me crazy to see them with constant hold up wussy hitss all the time. They could take a page out of Brads book and seriously ramp up their cache value to the team.

Posted by: capper3 | February 19, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443
ok man I would thade Alzner for Rick Nash:)

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443
if you ask every GM in the league who they would rather have, Shultz or a broken stick, who would you bet your house on???

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I would thade Alzner for Rick Nash:)
-----------------------------------------------------

I would trade 55, Chimera, Alzner, MP, Fehr and Steckel for Stamkos but I don't think Yzerman will go for it.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

__________________________________

I'll keep Alzner but add Brooksy and Potti in the mix

Posted by: Tondi | February 19, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

So you have no reservations that the Thrashers are willing to trade the No. 3 overall pick from the 2008 draft already. None whatsoever.

If that doesn't make you at least question why a team may be doing so then you I'm glad you are not making decisions.

It doesn't mean that Bogosian isn't good or won't be good, just that it would be necessary to try to figure out what are the real reasons Atlanta wants to deal. To see if there are some hidden issues that are not publicly known.

But, according to you, since Braydon Coburn ended up being good, that there will never be any underlying problem when Atlanta wants to deal a young, high draft pick.

Again, I am very glad you are not making any decisions, that sort of lazy, narrow minded, dim-witted thinking is exactly what any team does not want.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

All Alzner could ever be is a very good solid d-man. Bogosian has the potential of being the next Scott Stevens.

And how long has this team been looking to replace the old #3?? Someone truly worthy of that number instead of Poti???

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

hey sgm,

I can see why you're such a fan of McPhee... I bet you're a big fan of George Bush the Elder as well.

You know, you must be PRUDENT!!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Another brilliant statement by you.

Now you are criticizing people for fully evaluating situations before making important decisions.

Your statement is so absurd and illogical that all I can say is "whatever".

Have a nice day.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. You don't know that for certain. There was some reports that neither side was happy but nobody knows if that's really true.

2. The Caps play Atl 6 friggin' time/year, he's NO mystery to them. At least he shouldn't be. f they don't know what kinda player Bogosian is by now, they have the most worthless scouts in the league.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Caps play Atl 6 friggin' times/year, he's NO mystery to them. At least he shouldn't be. If they don't know what kinda player Bogosian is by now, they have the most worthless scouts in the league.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------------

LMAO is that a JOKE?

Some brilliant analyst you are!!!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

" You don't know that for certain. There was some reports that neither side was happy but nobody knows if that's really true."

Hence the reservations and the need to figure out the answer before making a big trade to acquire him.

"you're the one who thinks the playoffs are a total fluke and a LUCKY bounce here and there and the Caps will win the Cup."

Uhhh, no. The playoffs are not a TOTAL fluke. But there is no disputing how much of an effect luck has during the playoffs. It's just the nature of the sport in hockey. The random deflections of the puck.

i.e. The Sharks 3rd goal against the Caps on Thursday. Dan Boyle shot the puck and he didn't even get an assist. Why, because it went off of 3 sharks and one Caps before going into the net. That is a lucky bounce. It was a good play by the Sharks to give them the chance to take the shot and have the possibility of getting a good bounce, but a puck bouncing like that is luck.

It's just the nature of the sport.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you just destroyed your own argument.

If you work harder than the other team and put yourself in those positions more often then you'll have better odds of getting those "lucky" bounces.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

that's how guys like Dino got lucky over 600 times in his career, by putting himself in those "lucky" areas and taking all the crosschecks and slashes at the same time.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

No, that's exactly what I've been saying all along. I never said it is all luck, just that luck play a big part of it.

TO use easy math, lets just say when you take a shot from the point with decent traffic, there is a 10% chance of the puck bouncing in.

In one game, team A takes 20 of those shots and team B takes 10. The team that takes 20 shots is dominating the game, hence the 20 shots to the 10.

With the 10% chance on scoring on each shot, team A should beat team B, 2-1 if the probabilities bore out as expected. However, that is not how probabilities work.

What if in one game 3 of the 10 shots taken by team B go in while 2 shots of team A go in. Each shot, by themselves, have a 10% chance of going in. The outcome of one has no effect on the outcome of the other.

Just because a team has better odds of winning does not mean that that team will win.

What you said has been my argument all along. I couldn't agree more with your statement there.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 19, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Jee-zo-peets! I go to the store and come back and the children are all fighting!

I don't think anyone in hockey would take Alzner over Bogosian!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 19, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Rick Green the best d-man on the Caps in 1982?

@JOKE443
Keep bringing that up. Did you read about that in the history books? Stop blasting everybody, you goof. Caps got 4 good solid players in that trade. 4 that you could start a team with, and we basically did. Rick Green never scored more than 3 goals for Montreal or the rest of his career for that matter. Ryan Walter played 11 more seasons and had 20+ goals 3 times. Langway was the key but Jarvis was huge. Laughlin had five pretty decent years with the Caps. Engblom was a bit of a throw in but had a decent year+ on the downside of his career. Maruk, Gartner, Gustafsson, Carpenter, Haworth, Bobby Gould, Duchesne, and Scott Stevens didn't hurt the cause too bad either. Is that trade the only thing you know about the Caps? These were two decent young players that we got rid of at the right time,.........that's ALL!!

Posted by: Cayugalaker | February 19, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

When I need a good laugh I always turn to the comments made on columns like this about the Caps...all of you "know everything there is to know about hockey" types should really apply to be GM's or at least coaches. Why your unparalleled wisdom and knowledge about the game would put you in grand positions for such jobs. But then again there are less than 40 NHL teams and at least 50 of you guys..so at least 10 of you would be out of luck!

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 19, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Cayugalaker,

If you don't know what the heck we were arguing about, don't join in the argument.

Posted by: joek443 | February 19, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article! Best place to find coupons during holidays for free is printapons I would recommend them

Posted by: lorijwilson | February 20, 2011 3:00 AM | Report abuse