Posted at 7:37 AM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Mike Green: 'There's a bit of hate' between Capitals, Penguins

By Lindsay Applebaum

This likely won't come as a surprise to anyone -- especially after seeing Wednesday's '24/7' finale -- but Capitals defenseman Mike Green didn't have much nice to say about the Penguins when he called into The LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes on Thursday afternoon.

Pointing out that a lot of the rivalries we see in sports exist only within the game, Dukes asked Green if the bad blood between the Capitals and Penguins is as real as it seemed on HBO.

"I think there's a bit of a hate, yeah, you're right. Obviously, you know, you can sense it with what happened after the game, too," Green said, referring to the lack of a handshake after the Capitals won the Winter Classic. "I mean, the traditional way to end the game is to shake hands, and they left the ice, so I thought that was kind of childish. Whether it was because we celebrated the way we did or whatnot, I mean, it was a great event, our families were there, people were just excited, and I don't think we were at fault for celebrating the way we were. But I think they're just a little bitter with what happened, and that's that. Not much more to say."

(And with that, we'll take Green's lead and close the book on Caps vs. Pens -- until the upcoming Super Bowl Sunday rematch.)

Arrington also asked Green if Washington's more defensive style of play has been holding the offense back at all.

"The only thing that I think has taken a bit of a turn," Green said, "and maybe it's because a lot of us have played the power play are thinking a different mentality and playing a lot stronger defensively, is that our minds offensively are not as high risk as we used to be, and sometimes when you play a high-risk game, chances happen more often than when you're playing a little bit more stand-backish.

"But I think the power play is what... hasn't been as key as it has in the past," he added. "We used to score two, three goals on the power play and win a game, 4-3, so if we can get the power play going, we'll be fine. I think that's the missing key right now."

The full interview is below:

(No-handshake video via Puck Daddy)

By Lindsay Applebaum  | January 7, 2011; 7:37 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals' prospects impress at World Junior Championships
Next: Reflecting on the first year of Alex Ovechkin's captaincy

Comments

I loved BB's comments shown on 24/7...him laughing and saying "F them!" I figured the Pens would be a bit classier than that.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | January 7, 2011 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Crosby is out for at least a week with a concussion.

I get almost as happy at a Pens loss as I do at a Caps win, but for some reason when Johnson is in net I still can not cheer against him.

He was a really good back up for us, and always seemed to have a good attitude.

Question:

Watching the Pens game last night, they reminded me a lot of the Caps last season...offensively lethal (even though they only scored 1 goalin that game)but defensively not as strong.

The biggest difference I see with them is that they play "bigger" than we did...more physical and in your face. I still think they MIGHT have the same issues we had in the playoffs last season though. We have played two good games against them so far (defensively) and they struggled against us. I think they will have to adjust their game come playoff time when teams start bearing down defensively.

Thought?

Posted by: capscoach | January 7, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

When have the Pens ever been considered a "classy" team? I for one was not in the least bit shocked that they did that.

I would just like to see these 2 t-shirts slogans...

"Beat dat Beat"
"Beware of #39, #87 doobie doobie doo" (if anyone remembers the old advertising campaign).

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 7, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

One other question:

Anyone know (I forget which player)if the Hab that went into the post broke his arm? It looked like he hit it right in that spot where its an easy break, and I don't know if there is even any padding there.

Posted by: capscoach | January 7, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with the above story, but does anyone see GMGM making a move for Langenbruner in NJ?

Would he be a good fit here in Washington

Just asking since the game isn't until tomorrow night.

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 7, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

@jwash4472

I have been in favor of getting Langenbrunner for a while and it doesn't seem like it will cost much. However, the Caps already have a lot of wingers, so who would be benched(or waived) if Langenbrunner came? It's a tough question. The possible answers would be Chimera, Fehr, Bradley(very unlikely), Beagle, Hendricks(also very unlikely), and Semin(doubt it).

Another possibility would be to move Laich to center and send either MP or MJ down.

Langenbrunner's leadership and playoff experience would be very welcome though.

My guess would be that the Caps don't get him. I think, barring injury, the Caps make one more trade this year for a center.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 7, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

sgm3, In order for the Caps to get him, they'd have to send a roster player or prospect. (or combination of the two)

Who would you move to get the deal done?

Thanks for the insight.

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 7, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

How long before a "{Bleep} that {Bleep}burgh team" shirt comes out?

Posted by: CapsNut | January 7, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The only reason this is in the paper is because no try sports fan would listen to that bile offered by Lavar and Chad Sisson. Two windbags who can't have an intelligent conversation for this life of them. What an embarrassment to the business.

Posted by: password11 | January 7, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Who would you move to get the deal done?

Thanks for the insight.

Posted by: jwash4472

They could trade for Langenbrunner for picks and then send a current roster player or two down to Hershey(by waiving or demotion). My guess is the NJD would want picks, prospects, or young cheap players(AGordon, MP, Beagle, BGordon).

But it sounds like he is headed to Dallas. At least it's not Philly.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 7, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Langenbrunner a wing? We need a center...I gotta believe GMGM is holding out for a solid C.

Posted by: capscoach | January 7, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

How great was it to watch Bruce go F-them and the bust open a Bud light.

That's a coach.

Posted by: khornbeak | January 7, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If you watch the video, you clearly see the Pens milling around waiting, presumably to line up for the handshake UNTIL Crosby begins to leave the ice, he is the first one to skate to the gate after which his teammates follow. What a classless lil turd, too bad Steckel didnt knock him unconscious so that he couldve been taken off the ice on a sled like a cadaver.

Posted by: opticlguy | January 7, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

That's me at the end offering congratulatory fist pumps! What an awesome experience and hats off to the Pens...they were great hosts.

Posted by: GAU8A | January 7, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even a hockey fan, but I love the fact that Washington has a relevant and heated rivalry with someone. Unlike the Wizards(don't know if they've had a rivalry with anyone since they left Bmore), the Redskins(Cowboys rivalry is more ceremonial than anything right now), or the Nats(No rivalry to speak of, except maybe the Marlins? Not exciting at all)...Washington professional sports has been lacking in some meaningful, back and forth, ting of hate rivalry for some time.

Posted by: poeticfire | January 7, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Poeticfire,

Just FYI, the then Washington Bullets had tremendous rivalries with the then Buffalo Braves (Elvin Hayes and Bob McAdoo had some stellar games in their playoff games), in addition to the Cleveland Cavaliers, San Antonio Spurs ("Iceman" George Gervin had some amazing games against us) and of course the Seattle Supersonics and Golden State Warriors in the NBA finals. The mid-late 1970's were some great years for basketball in this town.

Posted by: fmcromwell | January 7, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse