Posted at 4:56 PM ET, 02/15/2011

Mike Green's status for game against Ducks remains uncertain

By Katie Carrera

Mike Green did not take part in the Capitals' optional practice at Honda Center in Anaheim Tuesday afternoon but the defenseman, who missed Monday's game in Phoenix because of an inner-ear trauma, said he was feeling better.

Despite that assessment, Green's status for the game against the Ducks on Wednesday remains uncertain and he is still formally listed as day-to-day.

The inner ear trauma is a result of the slap shot he took to the head on Feb. 6 against Pittsburgh, said Green, who added he did not believe the flight to the West coast from Washington impacted his health.

"I just needed some time to rest here but I feel good," Green said. "I guess [an inner ear trauma is] the diagnosis but it's just kind of a day-to-day thing. Hopefully I can get back out there as quickly as possible.

"No," Green said when asked if he thought the long flight had an affect. "I don't know. It's still from when I got hit. I'll take it day-to-day there's nothing other than that. We'll see what happens here tomorrow."

--As mentioned previously, the Capitals held an optional skate here after their regular and power play meetings. Alex Ovechkin skated but among those who did not were: Green, Alexander Semin, Nicklas Backstrom, Brooks Laich, Scott Hannan and Mike Knuble.

By Katie Carrera  | February 15, 2011; 4:56 PM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Line change: Readers weigh in on how to motivate Caps
Next: Capitals recall Patrick McNeill

Comments

" the Capitals held an optional skate here after their regular and power play meetings. Alex Ovechkin skated but among those who did not were:..."

This is like when the good ole Dr. Peter Venkman predicted, "Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!"

Gozer the Godarain is coming. You have been warned. Empty your thoughts or you will choose our destructor (shouldnt be too hard for lots on this comment board). =) ZING!

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 15, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL @SAOTI,

Ghostbusters 2 references are so appropriate. Wonder how the river of ectoplasm (?) is fairing these days under Verizon.

Too much SAOTI for the end of my workday.

Posted by: nicety251 | February 15, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Good point on the Big Buff contract having an impact on what Duncan Keith will get.

I also think it will be a good indicator for the Caps when they look to re-sign Mike Green after next year. It is very possible that his salary does not increase too much.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Orpik demonstrated the Penguin method of clearing out in front of the net: slap shots head high until the other team is afraid to picnic there. Brutal but effective and not limited to the Penguins.

Posted by: tw46 | February 15, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Still nothing from McPhee huh? This has become sickening.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 15, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

sgm: Good point on the other thread, I remember a Knuble backcheck last night that looked like it prevented a goal.

Buff is now same salary as Green. I have been wondering if Buff is on a short-term hot streak and will level off.

Two years ago when Green was setting records we were thinking he'd be in the 7s with next deal. Remember next contract is RFA. Sneaky agent too. Green got 5, 5, 5 and 6 for next year. This means Caps have to qualify him to retain rights for 2012-13 and you have to qualify (I'm unsure) per CBA at either same salary or 10% higher. And it's hard to peg his salary now, since the O has leveled off. The upcoming Shea Weber deal will have a bearing. I believe most here would agree that Green is not quite worth Weber. Problem for McPhee though is you've got the ridiculous Campbell deal in the mix too (which though was UFA).

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 15, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@underpants
Last summer I checked CI twice a day every day, waiting for the big signing. It finally came...DJ King. Nothing against DJK but sometimes GMGM appears to be so out of touch, I just don't get it. The guy needs to do something soon, or he might be putting in applications himself this summer.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 15, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@underpants

Posted by: kcbrichmond

I guess it's easy to be out of touch with your head up your a$$.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 15, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

My guess is that Green will end up in the high 5s such as around 5.7 or 5.8. That could always change with a huge year or playoffs.

You are right that Shea Weber's and also Brent Seabrook's contracts after this year, both as RFA, will have huge bearings on how much Green will sign for. As well as what the CBA will be after next year. If the salary cap goes down, it may even go down some(but that is a long ways away).

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if there is anybody out there that GMGM could trade for that could significantly change the dynamic of this team. Sometimes it is what it is. I wish we could get some real reporting about whether the team is divided or simply just doesn't care. Is it too much partying, too much money, what is it? There is something that doesn't add up. At this point, I think the only move that would have a major impact is to replace BB (and not with Evanson or Woods).

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 15, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Optional skate? Why assemble at all since we are so stellar this year.....and we are all pros.....and we are so very good.

BB is enough to make you puke.

Posted by: capper3 | February 15, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

You are right on the D and the backchecking last night.

And yes I know Ovi was skating last night, but he's supposed to do that. Thats why I didnt really mention that. He still didnt look like himself, but I guess any effort should be a considered a positive after Saturday's game.

Posted by: ThePat | February 15, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Duncan Keith signed like a 12 year contract two years ago

Posted by: _stevo | February 15, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"It appears we are recalling Pat McNeil. Will be nice to get a look at him. Hopefully they actually play him."

Posted by: ThePat |

Do you think that's because someone else got hurt, or is it just a precaution in case a D-man gets injured in Anaheim and they need another D-man for the game in San Jose?

My guess is that this means Green is not expected to play the next two games.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Duncan Keith signed like a 12 year contract two years ago

Posted by: _stevo

I typed the wrong Blackhawk. I meant Seabrook, not Keith.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 15, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

ahh i see, 5.25 per year is alot for seabrook i think but maybe he could get that

Posted by: _stevo | February 15, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I live on the west coast and while the season has been less than stellar and confusing at best, I can't tell you how excited I am to actually see them play tomorrow night. I come here (CI) most every morning and while I don't post normally, I follow what is going on on the boards with a bit of japers and rmnb. Right now, I'm not so worried about anything but just excited to see some hockey with a team i've been following as a kid. GO Caps!

Posted by: copedog311 | February 15, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone reading "Ted's Take"? Some of the comments are brutal. Obviously, the STH have had enough of this garbage.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 15, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

copedog: I am in Santa Clarita. We went to PHX yesterday as part of a mini vacation (very mini, one night). My daughters wanted to go to ANA tomorrow but we couldn't figure out arrangements and I was worried it would take like 3 hrs to cover the 60 or so miles through LA and down I-5. So tomorrow I guess watch from home.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 15, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

These guys aren't going anywhere. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs at this point. You need a strong PP to make a cup run. What were they last year, 1 for 30? This year they are even worse, if that is even possible.

Posted by: Doom_and_Gloom | February 15, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

tom, the hour and a half drive from san diego to ana is going to probably be 3 with the rain. although, there is an irish hockey pub here and they have a party bus going up fo 30 or so of us. so at least there is that. I'm not sure if most appreciate hockey when it's in their backyard... kind of like us and our incredibly perfect weather. ha.

Posted by: copedog311 | February 15, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Ted has some big decisions to make.

Posted by: Doom_and_Gloom | February 15, 2011 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Is there some way to hire a sports psychiatrist to help our players, specifically Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, Green, and Schultz? I wonder if Ovi's lost his passion to some degree due to the suspensions from last year but also wonder if he's been playing hurt as well. We know Semin's hasn't been healthy since late November but tried to play for a while anyhow.

It's almost as if the guys are "waiting for the other shoe to drop" so to speak, when something goes wrong.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 15, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Found this interesting... Barry Melrose was interviewed on ESPN 1050 New York tonight. His picks for the Stanley Cup? Capitals vs. Canucks. He thinks Caps will get hot in the last 15 games and ride it to the finals. Hope he gets this one right!

Posted by: rgp | February 15, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse