Posted at 11:32 AM ET, 02/ 8/2011

Alexander Semin to return against Sharks, Mike Green's status uncertain

By Katie Carrera

Mike Green took part in the Capitals' morning skate and said he felt good, but both he and Coach Bruce Boudreau are unsure if the defenseman will be in the lineup against the San Jose Sharks tonight at Verizon Center. Green was struck in the head, near his right ear, by a puck against Pittsburgh on Sunday and after the game said he had a headache and felt woozy, symptoms that when following a blow to the head are consistent with a concussion.

"I don't know yet, I have to talk with the trainers," Green said. "We'll see. I felt good on the ice and [I'll] see what they say. If it was serious I don't think I'd be out there today. It is what it is. I have to make sure I'm smart about it, obviously, but I feel good out there."

Said Boudreau: "I don't know if he's going to play. Yeah, he's feeling a lot better, which is a good thing. He's got to go through some tests and then we'll see how he feels tonight, after going through tests and after going through a practice and things. If there's any, any doubt at all, he's not going to play. If he's got the green light and he's 100 percent, we'll play him."

--In other news, Alexander Semin is expected to return to the lineup tonight after missing 12 games with a groin muscle injury. Semin, who recently signed a one-year extension worth $6.7 million, was on a 14-game goal-scoring drought before he took time off to heal. Boudreau said that was likely in part to the winger playing hurt several weeks prior to his absence.

"Let's give him credit here; he played hurt for three weeks," Boudureau said. "When he wasn't having success, that's when he decided to shut it down. In reality I think he got hurt at the beginning of December or the middle of December -- he just kept playing on it."

It appears Jay Beagle has been reassigned to Hershey as the forward was packing up his gear and sticks but did not skate this morning at KCI.

--Eric Fehr (shoulder) and D.J. King both took part in extra work with the Capitals' assistant coaches this morning after the main group was off the ice.

--Tom Poti (groin) took full part in the morning skate and stayed out for part of the extra session. He said he hopes to be practicing with the team on a regular basis going forward and travel to the West Coast for the upcoming road trip. "Yesterday and today was the hardest I've skated in a couple weeks, so we're just going day by day with it," Poti said.

During his time off, Poti said he went to Vancouver to see a specialist, who gave him more exercises and methods to strengthen the muscles in his leg. Despite the nagging injuries that have limited him to 21 games this season, Poti said he hasn't thought about shutting himself down or undergoing surgery.

"Not at all, not at this point," Poti said. "I hope I can get it healthy and hope I can get it right and back to where it needs to be to be myself again."

By Katie Carrera  | February 8, 2011; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Injuries, Jay Beagle, Mike Green, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: San Jose Sharks visit National Archives
Next: Line change: How will Alexander Semin's return impact the Caps?

Comments

I hope Poti can get healthy. He's been on the shelf for big parts of all of his four seasons here and McPhee still extended him two more seasons. Let's hope this final year under this current deal and his next two might be his best in Washington.

Posted by: cwiseman | February 8, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

"This, of course, prompted at least one member of the Caps dressing room to refer to Steckel as Brock Lesnar on Monday afternoon. And this led me to ask the Caps' best-known fighters about Steckel's performance. Like, was it awkward watching him fight?

"I don't know, I've seen Semin fight, so...." John Erskine said."

Aww, Snoopy sent down means no beagle barks from me =( Im a sad panda.

Welcome back Semin....score tonight and make it 13-0 when Semin scores. OH YEAH.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 8, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Give Green and Semin tonight off...another few days will do them good...in fact...rest Semin until the playoffs start...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 8, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

i'm guessing Gordon's contract is only one-way? No chance Beagle should have been sent down if that is not the case.

Posted by: erico31us | February 8, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Green shouldn't play tonight even if the doctors say he's cleared. I'm sure Crosby was okayed to play and then took a hit the first game after the Winter Classic and has been out ever since. I'd rather Green have a full week to rest, practice with the team, and then play on Saturday. Tonight's game isn't crucial as it's against a Wester conference foe and we need Green healthy for the rest of the season.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 8, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The Poti situation is still troubling. I always thought many of those critical of GMGM were just blowhards fancying themselves as back seat GM's who had the whole league for their picking. And then, GMGM signed Poti to the extension. I still don't understand that, considering the injuries, age, talent level, and salary paid him. Sure, he is a nice guy but.....

Now, I can clearly see the viewpoint of the GMGM critics. My bad. Sorry for thinking badly of you.

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 8, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

They should not rush players back. Let Green rest a few more days. Green is warrior. He would play with a broken foot. Rest him.

Posted by: pkme | February 8, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

You're my idol, SeminAllOverTheIce! Goo, Semin!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 8, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Beagle has been outplaying most of the team - sad to see him sent down. They will miss him on the forecheck.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 8, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Beagle can be sent down without clearing waivers. That's why he was sent down. It also helps out cap room. It will be curious to see who gets sent down once Fehr heals. It may have to be MP(who has actually finally played 3 consecutive good games)

I think the most interesting note above is the possibility Poti may be out for the season. If that is a big risk I will assume GMGM acquires a D-man at the deadline, even if it is only a #7 D-man(some guy acquired for a 5th round pick or something).

You do not want to go into the playoffs with Sloan as your #7 D. There are too many injuries and it would be likely that Sloan would be playing a few games.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 8, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Green is out for tonight. Good move.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 8, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: erico31us | February 8, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse
------------------
One-way or two-way has nothing to do with whether a player can be sent to the minors without passing through waivers. All two-way means is that the player makes a different salary in the AHL than he does in the NHL. One-way means he gets the same pay no matter where he plays.

Posted by: hobojew | February 8, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@LCCF -Goo, Semin

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 8, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Who is starting in goal tonight? Lookin for Neuvy to stay hot. C'mon Katie, keep us in the loop....

Posted by: glovesave1 | February 8, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse