Mike Knuble: 'We just want to keep playing well'

After scoring the decisive goal in the fourth round of the shootout against his team's biggest rival, Mike Knuble still managed to downplay the Caps' 4-3 victory over the Pens tonight.

"You can make what you want out of the game," the veteran winger said when asked if the win made a statement. "But it was a pretty good effort. [Goalie] Jose [Theodore] played really well, kind of held us in the first until we got going, but we were kind of leading ourselves down a bad road with penalties and stuff. We were lucky we were able to come back, but, you know, we just want to keep playing well."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 24, 2010; 10:10 PM ET
 | Tags: Mike Knuble, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In-game chat: Caps vs. Penguins
Next: Eric Fehr on not giving the Pens 'any ideas in our rink'

Comments

Honk, Honk, HONK!!!

Posted by: large23220 | March 24, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

caps win - pens lose - great night for hockey

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 24, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Dear Pittsburgh,

We're better than you.

Sincerely,

Washington

Posted by: edheger | March 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

If we do play the Penguins in the playoffs and the refs call an even series, I think we smoke them. If we play 7 games of this nonsense, then we might get beat. It doesn't concern me when referees call the same play both ways, but I don't feel that's what happened tonight.

The trip they called on us in the second period was called 30 seconds after a similar trip in the penguins end was overlooked. The hold on Crosby looked similar to the hold/hook/interference on Flash during our penalty kill in the second.

Just call it both ways zebras. As much as I'm happy with a SO win, I'm rather displeased the refs kept the game as close as they did.

Posted by: Raber | March 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

How about Green and Corvo combining for 0 giveaways and 3 takeaways?

I'm not saying Corvo played great but he did seem to minimize his mistakes - at least in comparison to most of his games since joining the team. He may have been able to play that Penguins PP goal better but I need to see the replay.

Green didn't make any mistakes that stand out in my mind but I may have missed a play or two. He was +3 with a nice shot pass on Fehr's goal and I didn't notice him getting caught pinching or out of position all game.

Shaone Morrisonn with 9 non-steroid-induced hits!

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

tmac, that's beautiful!

Posted by: wocoliz | March 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Penguins fans need to shut up about the fact they werent playing without Malkin. We were playing without Laich, ok? Crosby's whining has obviously infected their fanbase, who whine and make up excuses more than any fanbase in the league.

Posted by: khuddle01 | March 24, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I wish the NHL would keep Devorski away from us.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 24, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Great game, great time at the Verizon Center tonight. But I can't stop getting angry about the biased officiating! It's become so obvious you would think that the NHL would be forced to do something - here's a quote from the ESPN.com synopsis of the game:

"The Penguins were whistled for only one penalty. Ovechkin was tripped making a run in overtime, but no call was made."

If it's obvious to journalists, why aren't they writing about it? If something stinks, bring it to light and embarrass the League into fixing it. We know GMGM and Ted can't comment publicly and I assume they're talking privately, but until there is public comment and outcry about this garbage, we'll keep getting it every time we play Pitt. It's hard enough to have to beat the team, but to also have to beat the refs???? I noticed they called fewer penalties on the Caps after Semin's shortie! But they still didn't call that blatant trip against Ovie in ot.

Tarik - isn't there a Post journalist who wants to take this on?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 24, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't like to get caught up in the individual awards but I can't help it.

H. Sedin already has 2 points tonight to tie Ovechkin.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 24, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
Another effort of resiliency on display despite a slow start and solid play by the Penguins.

Down a goal in the third - no problem.
Down 2-0 in a shootout - no problem.

A great job by Jose Theodore. The man is getting locked in for the postseason. Clutch saves and shut the door even after the first two Pens shooters scored.

Semin - great effort tonight. Beautiful goal.

Referee's were an absolute joke tonight. Let's call everything on Washington tonight. Still it didn't matter. That's some of the most one sided officiating I've seen in a while.

Either way - it's a win.

A quick jump down south to take on the Hurricanes tomorrow.

It's been a two point night.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | March 24, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Very rare to see the media discuss officiating in stories because of the blackball factor. You'll see Tarik blog about it every now and then but rarely write about crappy officiating unless it is a sincerely blown call (like the phantom breaking stick last Pens game).

It is one of the reasons I'm a fan of Bill Simmons on ESPN-- the fact he isn't traditional media (i.e., reliant on access to locker rooms and league officials) lets him call it as he sees it, even if he is an admitted homer. I wish he'd cover hockey more, would love to see if he'd make any comments about the general state of NHL officiating. He does call Crosby boring, so he gets bonus points from me for that.

Posted by: TheGJ | March 24, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't want the refs to keep track of how many penalties they've called during a game or to even things up... I just want them to call a penalty when they see one throughout the game consistently

the calls made against the Caps were rather obvious ones, easy calls to make... could the Caps have had a couple more PPs tonight? I suppose but I didn't think the refs missed anything anything obvious

Posted by: joek443 | March 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Officiating stunk (stunk!)
Offense DID miss Brooks
Jose Rocked the House!
and, I hate shootouts

Posted by: bluejeener1 | March 24, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Re: refs calls (or non-calls)...

While it's fairly apparent this eve's game was called with two different sets of rules, it's also apparent the heirachy of the League is content to allow the refs to CONTINUE to add their own coloration to each game's proceedings (see: ref Stephane Auger/Canuck Alexandre Burrows, etc). As such, it's imperative for the Caps to not get caught up in the BS that accompanies games involving the NHL's favorite son. Filling the net tends to allleviate the necessity to argue the nonsense the refs perpetrate. LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 24, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Get ready for the discrepancy in the power plays in the playoffs. It happened 2 years ago against the Flyers and last year against the Pens. In the Pens series, the Pens deserved more, but not to the disproportionate extent that they got them. The Flyers series was truly ridiculous. Even a single game in which the goonish Flyers have more power plays is highly questionable, but to have it happen for a full series gets into the realm of probable fraud.

Posted by: zmega | March 24, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Where has this Shaone Morrison been all season. He's been great the last 10-15 games. He's hitting everything that moves. He and Carlson pretty damn good back.

That Semin wrist shot is amazing. Jose played great as well. If we can't get any calls in our own building, I wonder what it's going to be like in Pitt.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | March 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

you drive to the net and you get more penalties called in your favor... the Caps of last year and the year before weren't exactly known for crashing the net.

they've been doing a lot better job of it this year and they will have to continue to do so in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | March 24, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@joek443: I understand what you're getting at, but I counted two or three trips, a slash, a rough, and an interference that were committed by the Pens right in front of a ref and were not called.

I have no issue with what was called on the Caps - those were legit - the problem was that the Pens got away with just about everything and anything. Good thing their power play is terrible - maybe the refs wanted these two teams' weak units to get some practice! Yeah, that's the ticket. Heh.

That said, we have to expect this in the playoffs. Some teams get the calls and the Caps are not one of them. The Pens are. The key there is that we have to expect to get none of the calls and win anyhow. I think that this team can do that - they're so dominant at ES that they can outscore when they get fewer PP's.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 25, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse