Mike Wise: How to Frame the Season?

In his final interactive video, Mike Wise isn't sure how to look at the Caps' season after tonight's Game 7 defeat. Was it an unbelievable thrill ride that lasted until the second round, or was it simply a disappointment? Record a response and let us know what you think.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 14, 2009; 2:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti: 'No Excuses'
Next: Morning Reading List: The End of the Road

Comments

Here's to an interesting off-season and hopefully another great season.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 14, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Phil:
I'll drink to that!

Posted by: --Boo-- | May 14, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't ready for it to end.

Posted by: oo7 | May 14, 2009 2:58 AM | Report abuse

It was a great year for capitals hockey. The season was wild with the injury drama, the chase for 2nd, and lots of other amazing moments/ storylines. The playoffs were epic and it was nice to get as far as we did.

I will say last night's game was an utter disappointment but at least we got to see the new era of Washington start a bit earlier than expected. Just a couple of tweaks and soon we will be sipping from Lord Stanley's cup!

Posted by: trunkenmath | May 14, 2009 3:28 AM | Report abuse

The best part of this loss? No more Mike Wise.

Posted by: schrute | May 14, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

It was a great season. The club won 50 games and went deeper in the playoffs than the year before.

It's progress. That's all we can ask for.

Posted by: writered21 | May 14, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

This is a no brainer. It was a great season. They are already ahead of managements schedule, they won the division, they won 50 games, they won a playoff series, and most importantly they captured the heart of the city. Any knowledgeable hockey or Caps fan is aware that this is just the beginning not the end. It's not like they have aging stars everywhere on their roster like a couple of pro football teams in the area. ;-)

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 14, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks again for the support. All of you, especially the video posters of the last three weeks. And even you Schrute -- you gutless, anonymous poster afraid to identify yourself.

Oh, was that mean and unprofessional? I'm sorry.

Posted by: MikeWise | May 14, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Wise,
God love you, but go back to the magazine pieces and other sports of which you have some knowledge. You are clueless about hockey, and you offend many of us who follow the sport avidly. My name is Preston Calvert, and I approve this message ;

Posted by: pcalver1 | May 14, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It seemed pretty obvious that the CAPS were so focused on winning that first series, that they didn't have the foresight for anything more. Sure they went up 2 games, and won a thrilling third in game six, but the Penguins were better prepared and mostly out-played the CAPS in both the wins and losses.

The CAPS need to make some changes on the roster, and most importantly be ready for a real leap next year.

Hey Big Brother, that video will probably give me nightmares.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 14, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Lay off Mike.

Remember when it was just Tarik covering the Caps? Is that all you people really want, just a beat writer? The Caps, regardless of last night, are a winning team. Winning teams get the support of the city and this drives reader interest. Right now, the Caps are hot and people want to read about them. More demand, more writers. Be grateful for the added coverage and attention the team is getting. Lay off the personal attacks.

Posted by: Josh8 | May 14, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are a great team and made us proud to be fans. We enjoyed watching and cheering them till the end. This is a team of destiny and a temporary setback does not tarnish all of this season's accomplishments. I look forward to the next season (without Mike Wise). Go Caps!!

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Wise,
Perhaps you are right, we need to tighten up coaching and strategy coaching come play off time. But the CAPS are also amazing to watch all season long. They are the superlative sports team in Washington, and all of the mid Atlantic for that matter. I feel they deserve to win, and they will make it.

Posted by: SarahKate | May 14, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Josh8, thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you. SarahKate, you're right, the Caps have been amazing and it's easy to forget how far they have come from a 28-win season.

Preston Calvert, you hockey aficionado you, I'm sorry I offended your superior knowledge of this grand game. I often think to myself when I'm writing, "How can I ever live up to a swell guy named Preston Calvert's expectations? Will I ever understand icing, pinching in and, well, warped fans who need to adopt a pet or read to a kid so they can redirect their frustrations about their own athletic inadequacies toward something positive?" And then I file my story.

Please educate me further at my work email if need be. I'm open all hours for you to work out your anger and trust issues, Preston.

(In all seriousness, thank you for putting your real name out there. That takes guts my friend. Whether you think I'm awful or awesome, I don't care. But the fact that it's you -- and not some fake pseudonym or username -- tells me everything I need to know about your authenticity).

Mike

Posted by: MikeWise | May 14, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Mike,
I'd be happy to continue your hockey tutorial at any time ; Best, and study hard,
Preston

Posted by: pcalver1 | May 14, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Mike, come visit us next season in Section 105, Row C. We'd love to chat with you.
Preston

Posted by: pcalver1 | May 14, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The season was a disappointment because the goal is to win a cup. I won't be buying into the media spin that will be coming the next 4-5 months that it was inexperience. They had a subpar last two months and it took them 7 games to beat a Rangers team that doesn't make the playoffs if they don't have 15 wins in OT. It wasn’t inexperience that lost this series, it was our defense rolling over around the net. Pitt went to finals last year with a young group and look at what the Hawks are doing. They didn’t win b/c they were soft on the blue line

They have to build from the goaltender out and varlamov is the start. I think the most important step is to reshape the identity of the defense around toughness. Crosby ’s goal chart says it all, all but 1 of his goals were in the crease. Craig Laughlin was p!ssed last night saying Crosby shouldn’t have been able to raise his arms after the series, should have been chopping him for 7 games. That’s how Pittsburgh turned the Lemieux years into a winner when they eventually rebuilt the blue line with ulf and shell samuelson, paul coffey. And pittsburg last year when adding a guy like hal gill.

Thoughts on this Mike Wise?

Posted by: Caps09 | May 14, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The Caps were fortunate to get as far as they did in the playoffs. One superstar, a hot rookie goalie, and a timely wrister from an aging veteran barely got them past the 7th seed. But the Penguins showed us what it takes to move on: Patience, discipline, and the willingness of the WHOLE TEAM to leave everything they got on the ice every time they go out there.

In a word: EXPERIENCE.

I hope the boys learned something from this one. And THIS time, I hope it sticks.

GO CAPS!

See you next year in Round 3.

Posted by: Herb67 | May 14, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Caps09's point about building from the goalie out. Very well said.

Any team that allows a couple of slop goals every game from 3 feet out has no business even talking about the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: Herb67 | May 14, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse