Morning skate update

Lack of a private company plane prevented Katie from getting to Minnesota in time for today's optional morning skate, but here's some video from the Caps:

The Wild enter tonight's game looking to avoid a three-game skid, a position that makes them dangerous to the Caps, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau.

"We don't know them as well as we'd like to, and anytime you don't know a team, you feel uncomfortable with it," Boudreau said. "You never like playing against a desperate team because they always play above themselves."

Via the Caps, Michal Neuvirth came off the ice first this morning, making him the likely starter following last night's shutout performance in Carolina.

According to the Wild, the league's other Niklas Backstrom will be in net tonight, not ex-Capital Jose Theodore, who signed with Minnesota early this month.

"It doesn't matter" which goalie starts, Alex Ovechkin said. "We still have to win and score goals. It's Backstrom or Theo, but I think Theo wants to play so bad against us."

Asked if the Caps would have an advantage playing against Theodore, Ovechkin said: "He knows our weapons too, so it's good for us and probably good for him."

Pittsburgh unveils Winter Classic uniform
The Caps revealed their retro Winter Classic uniforms earlier this month (photos), and today the rival Penguins showed off their throwbacks, which are navy and light blue and feature the team's original logo from its inaugural season. Take a look here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | October 28, 2010; 2:05 PM ET
Categories:  Minnesota Wild
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green says he's nearly back to normal
Next: Caps take on Wild searching for consistency

Comments

Wow, that was some update there!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Phil R

Thanks :) and as I said earlier Come Back T

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

darrylrbaker:
got your e-mail - thanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@T4534

Op Flamingo toaster is a go

Posted by: mikebrady1 | October 28, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Minnesota Mild.....

Posted by: SA-Town | October 28, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh captain, my captain...

We live 16 miles north of Jobing Arena. Would enjoy the company on that valentine's day.
How much per ticket?
Any thoughts about eating before/after the game together?

Posted by: AZSportsJunkie | October 28, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Private company plane?? I thought Tarik traveled like the rest of us poor folks on commercial airlines.....why a private jet?

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

PhilR --

That is not an easy job, especially with such a closed door team like the Caps...we are not going to get much and none too often, esp. on game days.

Add to that having to travel and those worries...let's cut Katie some slack.

She's not at our jobs picking on us for the little things...

Posted by: netminder71 | October 28, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________

I believe he flew commercial, same as Katie. The Caps had the private plane that got them to Minnesota in time for the morning skate.

Posted by: cainoo7x | October 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

netminder,

I'm just saying I thought Tarik traveled commercial, kinda weird that there is now a private jet carrying the beat writer around. Overall I think she has done a pretty good job other that being slow at getting info posted....I was just curious about the plane situation.

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I said there is NOT a private jet. We always fly commercial, which is why back-to-back games are tough. Flying private is certainly not in our travel budget!

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | October 28, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: I believe it was a joke, like, WaPo really doesn't have a private jet so Katie got there riding coach and missed the morning skate.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 28, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

casino,

Now that makes more sense. I went back and read what was written after reading your post and it was the Caps on the private jet......I really am quite dense sometimes!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Guys, the plane thing was a joke. Chill out. She couldn't get there in time BECAUSE she flies commercial.

Posted by: LA_caps_fan | October 28, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I apologize Lindsay, no need to bite a poor guys head off though! I read it incorrectly, all good now. Geez!

Posted by: PhilR | October 28, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Phil R

Consider yourself told !!!!!!!

Now you go sit in the box on your own for 2 minutes, think about what you have done, you feel shame

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Man, I'd love to have some Cal Clutterbuck on this team.

Posted by: saintex | October 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

ew, i would never put a pittsburgh website in my history, ESPECIALLY the actual pens' site. check em out at puckdaddy or icethetics.info. that said, they're alright i guess. at least they tones down the powder blue

Posted by: hockeypunk | October 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

ew, i would never put a pittsburgh website in my history, ESPECIALLY the actual pens' site. check em out at puckdaddy or icethetics.info. that said, they're alright i guess. at least they toned down the powder blue

Posted by: hockeypunk | October 28, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Heh.

Boy, I thought the Caps' Winter Classic sweaters were ugly... the Penguins beat all. Dang. I wouldn't be caught dead in that monstrosity!

It's almost as bad as the Montreal Barbershop Pole sweaters!

Posted by: irockthered | October 28, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I saw Lindsay make a "T" sign so I think that means PhilR gets ten in the sin bin.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 28, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@ tominsocal1

Oh No the dreaded game mis conduct,for Phil R, watch out unless you slip colin and gary a quick 20 your introuble

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So I felt so sorry for Rod and Ivan having to put on our nasty rip off of the real jesery, which was on display on the mei-gray table too, but I can say I will ware our over that nasty blue night shirt the flightless foul will be wearing.

Lets go kill some pens :)

Posted by: bqts | October 28, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Bleah on the Pens' unis - the throwback logo is OK but what's with the baby blue obsession? Must be the owner's favorite color or something.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | October 28, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Please support 106.7 The Fan. They are having an entire segment about hockey. Mainly the Pens/Caps rivalry. Unfortunately, all Pens fans are calling in :-(.

Posted by: nicety251 | October 28, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@nicety

I listen to 1067 for the Junks. And while i appreciate Lavar and Dukes attempting to talk hockey, I cant listen to it. They are awful, you think we could at least get a good sports radio show in this town but nope. They pair an NFL player who was vastly overrated but for some reason this town is obsessed with him, and Dukes knows football and the NBA but beyond that he's clueless even though he tries. They get an A for effort but an F in listenability in my opinion.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

and here i thought the post flew their beat writers around in G6s...providing them with grey goose and having sexy parties

guess i can pull my resume now

Posted by: _stevo | October 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

AZSportsJunkie:
shoot me an e-mail - kdwiedel @ aol . com
it's too easy to miss some info with all of the threads here on CI
that and i'm sure everyone else gets kind of sick of reading posts about 'road trips'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 28, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The baby blue is because that is what their original color was. They wore it until 73 when it went a bit darker. They went to the navy color until 77. These new ones are so much better than what they wore last time. My guess is there are enough people who have the 80s version that they thought sales wouldn't be as high.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 28, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I suggest you actually read and comprehend the update before you post. This way you don't post something stupid, unless you normally post something stupid and then that is what we expect.

Posted by: chriscaps | October 28, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Varly is lonely in Washington without his buddies. Per Tim Leone:

"With the Washington Capitals on the road, injured goalie Semyon Varlamov visited Giant Center and took Dmitry Kugryshev to lunch."

Posted by: tess2201 | October 28, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@The Pat
You're right. They do get an 'A' for effort. It would be a shame if they stop promoting or talking about hockey because there's no support. Or maybe not. Or maybe Alan May could get his own radio talk show if the support or fan base was there. Mike Green checks in weekly, I think.

I like the variety. ESPN 980 is blah. A lot of people don't know how to "talk hockey" but willing to learn and be encouraged by those who do is half the battle.

Posted by: nicety251 | October 28, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I got my Coyotes tickets from this guy:
David Paris
Premium Sales Manager
Phoenix Coyotes & Jobing.com Arena
Office Phone: 623-772-3285
Fax: 623-872-2163
david.paris@phoenixcoyotes.com

He gave me the same price that he gave to the Caps Fan club. I'm sure he would do the same for any Caps fan.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | October 28, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@nicety

The listenability for me isn't just about them talking about hockey, its the whole thing. I just cant listen to them period, I tried for the first couple of months and then gave up.

Posted by: ThePat | October 28, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the Junkies.

Go Stags!

Posted by: GAU8A | October 28, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Katie...this was awful.

How is DJ King adjusting to his limited role? Is he going to play tonight?

What does baby Brad think about his visit to the NHL and Minnesota....any difference between Minneapolis and meal money vs. Scranton and AHL per diem?

Is Fahey this season's Tyler Sloan?

I understand you missed your plane or whatever silliness that is up there, but it looks like ya took the day off and mailed this one in...

Posted by: outrbnksm | October 28, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I posted a few threads back about show on NHL network called Oil Change. It's about the Oilers draft of Taylor Hall and the beginning of their rebuild. It's really interesting and any hockey buffs here that enjoy seeing some of the inner workings of an organization would enjoy it. There are some parallels to what's going on with the Caps, but there are some things that seem very different. In the other thread, I may have said some bad things about Anton Gustaffson being drafted in lieu of Jordan Eberle. I'll withhold those comments here and if people watch the show or see an Oilers game, they can judge for themselves.

Posted by: Fletch22 | October 28, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

@tess2201

That's nice of Varly to take Kuger out to lunch in Hershey. Guess the Hershey guys are more fun to hang out with than Tom Poti is. (I'm sure TP would prefer to spend his skipped road trip time with his wife and new baby.)

I'm sure I'd concur with Varly's opinion if I were a 22 year old male.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 28, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse