Monday Morning Update

After taking Sunday off to recover from a busy stretch, everyone is present and accounted for today.

Clark is assigned to Ovechkin's line, which is a sure sign that he'll return to the lineup Thursday at Florida. Semin, though, is not on the ice and, from what I can tell, did not skate on his own, either. (Even though he's still officially listed as day-to-day, it's become quite apparent that it's more like week-to-week at this point.)

The mood around KCI is pretty somber. Not much laughing or horsing around going on at all. I only point this out because it underscores how different/higher the expectations are this season.

Last season, the players and coaches seemed to keep their heads up regardless of where the team was in the standings. It's clear now, however, that they (and I mean everyone) are feeling the heat after losing five of six and being tied for last place in the league with Edmonton at 6-10-1. (That's seven fewer points than the Caps had after 17 games last year.)

Update:Here's something to think about: Of the eight teams that qualified for the Eastern Conference playoffs last season, only Ottawa (the fourth seed) had 13 points through 17 games (6-10-1). But the Senators more than made up for their slow start by going 9-2-0 over the next 11 games. Are the Caps capable of a similar streak?

Anyway, here are today's forward lines:

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Kozlov
Pettinger-Gordon-Laich
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

The 'D' parings are the same and the scratches are Eminger, Sutherby and Erskine.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 12, 2007; 11:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bourque Sent Down
Next: Semin Skates

Comments

And winning still looks as elusive and hard to find as an honest politician.

The losing has more to do with Hanlon not being able to coax a solid effort for sixty minutes than with injuries. This team is worse than last years, points wise. And have they shown once in the last 4 or 5 years the ability to go on an extended winning streak and make up standings points? No. So what is different about this team?

Posted by: Dan DC | November 12, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

At least the lines look a bit better with Clark back. I'd prefer to see Backstrom with OV though because Nylander always turns away from the play with the puck whereas Backstrom always gets the puck toward the net. He may not shoot a bunch, but he can saucer a pass behind a defenseman as well as anyone in the league, and I'd love for it be OV he's passing to.

I think (hope) Clark is going to be a difference maker. A good leader is important, and if everyone agrees hanlon isn't getting the team to play for 60 minutes, maybe Clark can do that.

Posted by: Rob | November 12, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

We all appreciate that you are in a difficult situation, but don't you think it is time for Hanlon and GMGM to go? Brash on the PP, come on, this is beyond desperation, it's dumb.

You frequently mention lack of talent and that we should be patient. That notwithstanding, Hanlon seems to be a poor motivator, communicator, and is not a guy that holds his players responsible for their actions.. These guys should have been fired up at home after the Ottawa game. I was at the game Saturday and they were totally flat. Jurcina got taken out in the corner by St Louis!!!!!! He should have been pulled out of the game for that.

Respectfully,

Bill- Season ticket holder

Posted by: Bill | November 12, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Who is conducting the pracite? Hanlon??????

Posted by: Finn | November 12, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Free Sutherby!

Posted by: strungout | November 12, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@ Tarik

Has Hanlon shown ANY emotion at all? Does he seem mad, angry, pushing, yelling?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

edmonton's gm is a mess too.

Posted by: jim | November 12, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

No. Not even close.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy the injury excuse anymore.

I don't understand why the same silling mistakes and indiscipline are tolerated

Posted by: Roddy | November 12, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Could OV teach Shultz how to check someone?

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

From the Hockey News:

Rankings (appropriate for this team)

Offense:
Goals 40 Ranks 24
Shots 493 12
PP% 15.8 21
PIM 237 12
Assts 68 25

Defense:
G Against 48 13
Shot A 509 6
PK% 79.8 21
PIM 210 22
Shutout 1 19
Save% 0.906 13

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Tarik's point that the caps are worse off this year than last at this point in the season should say everything. We are now going backwards with better (?) talent. Something needs to be done. I for one am tired of the status quo, which is what we have. Either Hanlon goes, or GMGM goes and we get someone in who will fire Hanlon.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

AND FIRE WHOEVER DESIGNED THE RED UNI'S!!!!!

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

i like the red uni's.

Posted by: jamebow | November 12, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jamebow,

The red uni's are responsible for all that is wrong in the world. Think back: The caps never made it to the finals in the red white and blue's, the caps never gave up a 3-1 series lead to the Pens in the blues or blacks, and the last time the Caps had reds, hanlon played in the NHL. IT ALL TIES TOGETHER!! DON'T YOU SEE???

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

the team has four games in the next 10 days against the SE. i gotta believe if they don't pick up at least 6 points in that swing then hanlon has to go...semin or no semin. maybe ted wont have the heart to can him over thanksgiving..but then again, hanlon is canadian so it's not his thanksgiving anyway. if the hammer is going to fall then my bet is it will happen after the carolina game on sat 11/24. sorry to say cause i think hanlon had done well with what he's been given. but now he's got talent and they've gone backwards.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | November 12, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with the Uniforms...but the red ones are tough on the eyes. They should come with a warning that reads "Looking at this uniform will cause hallucinations featuring the Caps returning to the Stanley Cup Finals. Also, these uniforms can cause frequent headaches, dizzy spells and fits of rage and hatred upon each Capitals failure. Should these symptoms persist, email Ted Leonsis and give him the 3rd degree."

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
With all the talk early in the seasosn about how semin and nylander were meshing, could one assume that upon semin's return he'll take the RW to make a first line of ovie/nylander/semin? i'd like that idea. we just saw how stacking a line can work (tampa beat us with it). backstrom centering kozi and flash makes a good second line. clark on the 3rd makes sense to me, and he'll probably still get PP time. I know its all speculation, but is this a possible line combination?

Posted by: cap this! | November 12, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I just purchased Six Pack Flex Pack tickets at a cost of $516. I am not bailing out on the Caps, and even if it is in a small way, I just have to support them.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Wanda,

Nobody is bailing on the caps. We are all just very frustrated. this year we were supposed to move forward, not be tied for last place with Edmonton!

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Bite me, Puckguru.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Until the Caps get a coach with the mentality of Torterella who plays Vinny, Marty and Vaclav on the same line or Thieren who plays Crosby and Malkin on the same line we will never see OV and Semin on the same line here in Washington. Hanlon's excuse is that they both think too much alike and want to be in the same place. But, if you think about it...sometimes thinking alike can equate to a crap load of goals if you ask me.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Lee, I think Hanlon designed the red uni's.

Mitch, add "fear and loathing" to the label & I think you nailed it.

Can anyone tell me why Jurcina got benched yet Shultz won't finish a check and plays on? It just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wanda,
Get back to us after those six games when you've realized how much money you wasted.

Posted by: Jay | November 12, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If I had $516 to purchase the flex pack I would as well. There is no bail in my plans for this team. I will live and die by the Capitals. Lee is absolutely correct in saying that we're all frustrated.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Lee ~ I feel the frustration, but I guess I am just an optimist who thinks that the Caps can turn things around.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Quote of the Night from the Stands at Verizon Center Section 112 Row G.

"That #55 Schultz is like the second biggest player in league history....but he plays like a pee wee sissy"

Gotta love that one!

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Nowhere to go but up from here...

Posted by: Green Trees | November 12, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Mitch,

Actually the TB super line isn't all the time. 26 and 20 both skate with other centers and 4 centers other lines. That said, when the three of them are together its something fearsome.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I was a fan when the caps first started. I went to series the caps lost after being up 3-1. My very best friend is a Pens fan. If i was a tatoo person, i would get the caps on my tushie. I email Ted on a regular basis, asking that he not move the team. (He says he's not). my daughters first words (after dada) was "GOAL!" I want to see MY team do well

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Old Time Hockey, your correct, it's not all the time, but at least Torterella has the nerve to put them together.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Mitch ~ I believe that you posted something yesterday about the seat situation at Verizon Center. I have never suffered the knees in the chest syndrome, but I have NEVER been able to use my armrests because my rude "neighbors" feel the need to invade my space. What's THAT about????

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Heck, if some of the posters here are frustrated (higher ticket prices too), imagine how Ted feels after sinking another 11 million into the franchise? These guys simply need to get back to work and earn their keep.

Posted by: dogdaze | November 12, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope they don't dump the red unis too soon. I just dropped $165 on getting a personalized one for my kid. By the way, the Caps did have some very good years in the '80s with the red unis with Langway, Gartner, Stevens, et al. If we could only make a Rick Green and Ryan Walter for Rod Langway, Brian Engblom, and Craig Laughlin trade, all would be right in our world.

Posted by: Red Unis | November 12, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I think a great idea would be for the T man to sit down with Ted and do a bare knuckled interview...can yous wing it?

Posted by: Cj | November 12, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The knees in the chest thing is a matter of there is no leg room between rows...at least that is how I feel. I'm not going to get into the armrest thing because that could start a battle. My point behind my comment yesterday was basically that I wish things, like sports arenas, were built with some sort of comfort in mind and not the thought that you need to cram a zillion seats into a place.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Last year a player from Dallas, Nagy, was avoiding hits during the playoffs left and right. My wife called him a wuss after seeing the replays and hearing the talking heads just grill him. Nagy = wuss became part of our vocabulary, ie: "What a Nagy".

Needless to say, after watching Shultz on Saturday night from the stands, his new name is Nagy.

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Oops, Wanda...I didn't mean to post as you up there....but my response was to your post. My bad, I call that a symptom of it being a federal holiday and I'm at work!

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Mitch ~ did you post using my name?

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@Wanda

Better watch what you say. Puckguru may just do it.

I'm tired of kicking the "fire-hanlon-gmgm" dead horse. It's depressing. Let's get rid of them and be done with it.

Let's see. Who'd be left? Oh, yeah! Ted's behind the bench! LOL

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve R & Mitch

If you are so worried about Schultz not hitting anyone then what do you say about Poti:

Poti GP 11 Hits 3

Schultz GP 12 Hits 9

Bet your the same guys that say we need Brashear on the 4th line to protect Ovechkin etc....

You don't know much about the game my friends......

Posted by: TomB | November 12, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

That's all right, Greg ~ I am up on my tetanus shots.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I think our main problem is that the Caps are so weak up the middle, the centre position. Michael Nylander on most teams would be a 2nd or 3rd line center. I like him as a role player but he's out of his element as a number one center. Looking at Saturday's game, him taking a faceoff against a Vincent Lecavalier is men against boys, he got his clock cleaned, he's not even in the same zip code as a guy like that. Then, our 2nd line center is an unproven rookie? And trust me, outside of the DC area no one has ever heard of Boyd Gordon so he's sure not putting the fear of god into anyone. We need a capable, consistent number one centre, and slide Nylander into the #2 slot, that's a winning combination.

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@Wanda

What about Rabies?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I believe we have the right personnel to reach the play offs this year. But this personnel needs to be shown the right direction and be properly motivated.

Posted by: Finn | November 12, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Greg ~ jeez, like I don't have enough to worry about! I'll ask my vet, but he's going to start asking me some questions that I would rather not answer.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The red uni's are sharp. What the heck are you all complaining about?

Posted by: Blackaces | November 12, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@TomB, I've come to terms that Schultz won't put a hit on anybody and I'm not all that concerned by it I just thought I would put that quote in there from the stands on Saturday. From what I can see the only ones making hits these days are OV and Green. As for Brash on the 4th line to protect OV, I don't believe that because OV has proven he's not scared to go against anyone so he needs no protection.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I am STILL waiting for them to scratch 87, ans play Sutherby, or ANY decent call up from Hershey. It's TIME to roll 4 lines, as much as possible. 87 can't keep up with the other two skating wise. Also, I love the new uni's. MUCH better than the "Choking Chicken" or any BLACK uniform. EVERYONE seems to want to wear a black uni. Before long, you won't need a color TV to watch hockey!! LOL

Posted by: CantMissKid | November 12, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Mitch

Thanks for the clarification. We are in agreement then.

Posted by: TomB | November 12, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@Wanda

I heard he goes after kiesters, so do us all a favor and wear armor back there. That way, you'll dull his bit in the future for all of us.

Of course, he's pretty dull as it is...

You're probably good then. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell me how we went from dissing the red uniforms and calling for GMGM & Hanlon to be fired to Wanda having Rabies and needing to watch out for Puckguru?

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@OldTimeHockey - - in fact, Lecavalier skated the entire year last year with Marty St Louis and mostly Vinnie Prospal, so that line has been used extensively together over the past year and a little better. They played together so much, and that line was thrown out so much, that Lecavalier and St Louis were in the top 5 forwards in terms of ice time last year. Many pundits blamed the Lightning's early playoff exit on the fact that they relied on that line too much, that they weren't getting scoring from their other lines, so stacking up a super line has it's drawbacks too.

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Now TomB, you know what they say about assumptions...

Last I checked, I was complaining about Brashear getting too much ice time.

Thanks for bringing Poti to my attn. I'll try to ignore his shots on goal and concentrate on the lack of hitting.

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, are you not in Toronto? Going there later today?

Posted by: Finn | November 12, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@Mitch

Because it is more interesting than the Caps. I mean, look at Ted's Blog? When did he last talk about the Caps? One of his last entries was about getting fed up and leaving a game to go to a concert.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the answer why the NHL stopped wearing white for home games?

Posted by: CantMissKid | November 12, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytown

Yes, I am aware of that, after all they only play the Caps 10000 times a season. But, my point is that THIS year, they are not always skating together. Yes, they still do skate together a lot, but not 100%. 50%-75% would be my estimate.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

What the......If Ted is fed up and leaving games to go to concerts shouldn't that be a sign to him that he needs to step up and make a change!?!?!

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

That would depend on the concert

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yah think?

From Ted's Corner:

Tuesday, November 6, 2007
The Police in Concert
After watching the first two periods of the Caps game, I was in a foul mood. And then I went to the Police concert with some close friends. The show was a good one but NOT a great one.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Mitch ~ I don't HAVE rabies, just the possibility that if Puckguru takes me up on my earlier offer, I might CONTRACT rabies.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@OldTimeHockey - - ok, I see what you mean, yes those percentages sound about right. Now here's the scary part: the Lightning were the #8 seed last year, and yet the Caps get pretty consistently beat by them. So that doesn't toll well for the Caps if they can't beat the #8 team. I go back to my earlier comment, I think they have some missing pieces yet, most noticeably they lack a true number one center.

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Wanda.

You don't bite, do you? :)

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Wanda, I know you don't have Rabies...I was just trying to make the connections to the conversation.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I think I've successfully hosed this blog for the time being.

OK. *sigh* Back to hockey

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

We can argue all day whether Nylander is a #1 center...but I think all we really need to do is look to the Rangers. They spent like 15 mil this season for 2 "#1 centers" and I think Jagr would happily trade either of them to get Nylander back.

Posted by: Jeff | November 12, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA YOu paid 9 Millions for an overrated player (Semin) that can not play one game and we paid less than 2 M for Hamilton who is better. lol...

Poor Wahsington fan (Redskins, Wizards, Nationals, Capitals. 4 looooosing team in the city

Posted by: Hurricanes Fan | November 12, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What is it about Pittsburgh and TB fans? Are they all 8 year old's?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a Canes fan

Posted by: Finn | November 12, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the Sens fans that were lurking. They had class

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytown,

Yup. We can't beat Tampa and they were a low playoff seed; that's a problem. This is actually why I don't think the Caps can get into the playoffs at this point. The east is pretty tight. We play Tampa and CAR many more times, and we are usually good for only one or two wins out of the 8 games. If they go 8-1 or 7-2 through the rest of November, I'll change my tune, but even a 5-4 remainder is pretty much the end of the season.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff - - the Rangers players haven't paid off yet, and they may not ever, but it's early in the season and their fortunes could definitely change for the better as time goes on. Especially as the various pieces they've brought together get used to playing together more and mesh. I like Nylander, I just don't think he's a true #1 center, nor did the Rangers apparently.

Hey Hurricans fan: did grade school let out early today? Your post is pathetic...

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

AMEN, Bobo! I was just thinking the same.

And really, we don't pay Semin $9M. It'd be nice if they did a smidgeon of fact checking before they make asses of themselves.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Are there any hockey blogs in N.C., or are they all ACC basketball?

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Hurricanes Fan: go on the player's union website, nhlpa.com, do a search on Semin and you'll find he's making $1.2million this year. Boy, you were only off by $7.8 million! But that's probably pretty good in NC....

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Always love it when the one-franchise towns try to call out the six-franchise towns.

Do they still give everyone there the free gallon of washer fluid if the 'Canes score in the last minute of a period? -JW

Posted by: JWJr | November 12, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytown

The Rangers are obsessed with big names and flash, which is important in NYC. But ultimately, they got rid of a play who makes 1/2 as much as the guys they brought in who had fantastic chemistry with Jagr, and was averaging a point a game while playing with him. It's possible the new guys will mesh and end up being better players, but Gomez has never been a great scorer. It really didn't make sense why they'd let Nylander walk when he made Jagr happy. And having seen the wrath of Jagr when he is unhappy, it was a significant risk to make that "upgrade", especially when the backbone of your team (Lundquist) is going to need a major contract and you are right against the cap. Just an odd management decision.

And for the record, I'd take Nylander over Gomez, who is one of those "#1 C's" who was available this past off-season. (Sorry, I wanted to tie this back to the Caps, rather than my random opinion about the Rangers)

Posted by: Jeff | November 12, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

No, now they give them moonshine and a coupon for a free hayride around the arena.

Posted by: Mitch | November 12, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

JW, now that was funny!

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

And my apologies to TB. Silly me. I associate hurricanes with Florida, not Carolina.

Hate to admit it, but Carolina is usually a contender for a round or two.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Hurricanes Fan--how about that NFL / NBA / MLB team down there in the Raleigh / Durham area?

Go Whalers.

Posted by: Right Winger | November 12, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Greg. I had to take a long distance phone call. Do I bite? Sorry to disappoint you, but that would be a resounding NO!

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Then again, there are the Durham Bulls. That's what, single or double A?

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

If at least you can make the playoffs. I think the problem with our team is that the Russian player are really overrated.

And by the way Semin signs for 2y/9M which means he won't play again cause he is not a true hockey player. Eric Cole almost had a broken leg and come back and your Semin can't play....

Boy I wish I was't a fan of Washington

Posted by: Hurricanes Fan | November 12, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

And how 'bout them Tar Heels? Really kickin' it up in the ACC at 3 wins 7 losses.

It just bites, that's all.

Not you, Wanda!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I got a chuckle out of today's posts, which is a whole lot more enjoyment than I've gotten from the Caps lately!

I agree with Finn that the Caps have the personnel to make the playoffs, although I think they need to be healthier to do so regardless of who is behind the bench. That having been said, over the last two seasons, it's taken at least 92 points to make the playoffs in the East, meaning we need to play .600 hockey from this point on in the season. On the surface that doesn't sound insurmountable, but it does mean that we cannot afford a single losing streak between now and the beginning of May, and we need a winning streak soon. I also agree with the earlier post that the next three games are telling. The Caps haven't lost their season yet, but when Tarik said this is a team fighting for its life, he's not kidding.

Posted by: Fred | November 12, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

any rumors as to a potential replacement for Hanlon? What about Bob Hartley? though his record was awful early in the season when he was canned...

Posted by: hckeygal311 | November 12, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Boy I wish I was't a fan of Washington"

You are not. You're a Canes fan.

Posted by: Finn | November 12, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

My post might be deemed an inappropriate comment if it is taken out of context. Sorry, no inappropriateness intended.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It seems that "no student left behind" has failed in NC.

Posted by: Bobo | November 12, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Hurricanes Fan

All I can say to your last post is this:

HUH???

Eric Cole ALMOST broke a leg? What's that got to do with anything? Lookie, little boy. Stick to pickin' tobaky.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And I'll apologize in advance, Tarik.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Capitain Clark will be back in the lineup, I miss seeing our "Fearless Leader" out there. At the very least, his fellow team mates will have to be accountable to someone for their indiscipline and general lack of desire.

Posted by: red dragon | November 12, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be hilarious to see a healthy Semin play on the same line as OV and Nylander- only Ovechkin should play center. That way Semin and Nylander can skate around in circles on opposite sides of the ice and when the meet in the middle, all three could crash into each other and give the other team a 5 on 2.

Posted by: 121k | November 12, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Why is a 'canes fan lurking in the caps blog? don't tell me you like the caps, or else your name wouldn't be "Hurricanes Fan." Y'all just run on back to the dean dome. there's a basketball game going on.

I want to hear more about Wanda biting Greg s.

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Prediction time for me...

We win the first game that Clark is back, lose the next ones until Semin comes back. Then we win one more until... who knows.

Can we talk more about Rabies? I'm depressing myself again...

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it! Thursday night's game against the Panthers is on CSN+. Once again I will be forced to listen to the game over the internet. If anyone hears about a re-air on CSN could you please post it?

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Wanda,

I'd suggest you go to a bar or restaurant to watch the game, but it's tough to find one in this area that actually shows hockey.

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

No, Lee. It's Puckguru gonna bite Wanda. I was just looking out for me. I thought after all that Rabies talk I laid out, people would think that Wanda has it. Which might tick her off and come biting after me.

As flattering as it would be to have a lady chasing my tail, I don't want to get bit. So I had to check. Fortunately for me, she doesn't bite. But she can chase me all she wants! :D

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Lee ~ you took my post out of context. I just knew that someone would. I'll let Greg explain it to you.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Good, God! Wanda! What are you SAYING? I've so screwed this whole thing up it'll take years to unravel!

Shhhhh! Maybe it'll all blow over....

Be werry wery qwiet!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wanda,
What county are you in?

Posted by: Erika | November 12, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You're on, Greggo.........
Is anyone going to watch the Hurricanes versus the Panthers game tonight on Versus. Talk about changing subjects......

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Erika ~ I live in Anne Arundel County, but I can't get NC8 through my cable provider, which is where some folks in this county claim they can watch the game.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to puzzle out why Puckguru is going to bite Wanda. Does it tie into his Thanksgiving rant?

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm leaving for Australia....

Run away!!!!!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

That sucks. CSN+ here in Chuck County is CSPAN/MASN2.
It would be nice if the HOF Induction was carried in the US, but no.

Posted by: Erika | November 12, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Greg ~ You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel, with 4 hungry children and a crop in the field.........

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I thought I did that to Lucile?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Erika,

It's on the NHL network. Many systems have picked up the NHL network recently, so I'd double check to see if you have it.

Posted by: John | November 12, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Steve R ~ earlier in the day I had a post that merely said "Bite me, Puckguru." The whole complexion of the message board changed after that, and it has really gotten ugly. Bad ugly. See Greg S for details. He might be in Australia by now, so it could take him a little while to respond.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks John, I've got it on Ch 28.

Posted by: Erika | November 12, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Where's my rock....Ah, there it is.

*crawls under and hides*

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@Fred
"That having been said, over the last two seasons, it's taken at least 92 points to make the playoffs in the East, meaning we need to play .600 hockey from this point on in the season. On the surface that doesn't sound insurmountable, but it does mean that we cannot afford a single losing streak between now and the beginning of May"

Wow, I haven't seen anything in the Caps season so far to believe .600 hockey for the entire rest of the season is do-able. Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong. If we get the Caps who beat Ottawa for the rest of the season, maybe you're right but all too often we're getting a different team that just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Wanda.

To change the subject, I think I'll watch either the Isles vs Philly or Devils vs Pitt tonight instead of the Canes.

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wanda,

I didn't take it out of context, but since i haven't seen puckguru here today, and he's the one you invited to do the biting, and now greg is calling you lucile, and.....

i should work more...

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Hockeytown

That's why some of us didn't think we should wait until Jan or Feb as some wanted for a change behind the bench. Tarik mentioned 12/2 (I think that's the right date) as the day that we'd see one way or the other. I am of the opinion that we can't wait that long. IMHO, we're late in making the changes.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

It must be nice not to have a cable provider that was around when Fred & Barney were the kings of Bedrock.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Wanda
If you go to the Comcast Website, the TV listings for Thursday has the Caps on CSN and ACC basketball on CSN+, but the Caps schedule has the Caps on CSN+.

I'm not sure which is correct.

Posted by: Carol | November 12, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytown,

I'm with you. Not only have I seen any sense that the Caps could play at .600, Excluding the first few games, I'm not sure I've seen the ability to play at .500 for any length of time exceeding 2 games.

We can blame injuries, but blame won't help. Let's assume we get Semin back Christmas-time. That's 19 games. If we continue to average .76 points per game, that's on 27 points after 36 games. If we up that to .500 play and get 1 point a night, that's 32 points in 36 games. That starts to look pretty much like an impossible hole to overcome.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Lee.

It's a long and sordid tale - ok, not so long and not really sordid. And not I've got that damned Lucile song running through my head! "Yah picked a fine time to leave me Lucile..." I'm shooting for pissing everyone off at me by trying to give you all this song and get it the hell out of my head! 'Cause it's driving me crazy!!

I'd check the area you're in. I know that the Cox channels in Fairfax Co. are different than those in the city and those outside of the county.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Carol ~ thanks. I'll check into it.
Lee ~ Puckguru's last post, I believe, was on the Bourque topic @ 10:58 this morning.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Not in Toronto, unfortuntately. the budget would not permit. I'm actually working a story about Eminger's situation for tomorrow's paper.

Posted by: Tarik | November 12, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em........."

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

If the options are to (A) stick with Hanlon and hope (pray?) that we play .600 hockey the rest of the year, or (B) any other strategy, I'm going with B.

Posted by: hockeytown | November 12, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik you are the best.

Would you please bring back Semin on the lineup healty?

Posted by: Mike | November 12, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Greg, when I hear the Lucile song, I think of a dueling piano bar. "You b**ch, you sl*t....."

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps players have the talent to be in the playoffs - no doubt. Hanlon - talent to coach, not with this group. No consistency here. When was the last winning streak we had???. Bring someone new in, as said before - new blood like Dale Hunter. Let's pass on Hartley.

In regards to section 112 section, I heard a similar quote in section 113, "When Schultz checks someone in the boards it's with a pillow. The boards don't make any noise!" I miss when Scott Stevens was his age as a Caps. He'd try to send the guy "through" the boards and glass!

Scratch Brash somethings and get Sutherby into the line-up.

Posted by: Comcast Sux | November 12, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Greg ~ is that better? The Gambler?

Alas, I have to leave you now. Time for dinner. Roadkill, anyone?

Nuh night.

Posted by: Wanda | November 12, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Old time hockey, using your more optimistic guestimate of 32 points in 36 games, we'd need at least 60 points in the last 46 games to have a shot at the #8 position. I have to agree about this being an uphill battle of major proportions.

Posted by: Steve R | November 12, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, could y'all spell my name right? It's Lucille (Luseal), not Lucile (Lusile).

Posted by: LUCILLE | November 12, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

LOL! Yeah, I hear that one, too. No wonder I'm nuts. And the Gambler, too, Wanda.

@Hockeytown

I'm on B). too. There's no way we'll win as many games as we have to under Hanlon.

Realistically, we should be competing with Carolina only in this division.

@Wanda

It was fun.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

1 "L" or 2, doesn't matter....

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Its obvious that the Caps need more physical defensemen. The Caps get pushed around way to much in the own end. They don't have anyone back there who will put the fear of god into you. I don't understand why the Caps draft all these big defensemen who cannot hit. The Caps are way to easy to play against.

Posted by: Hockey Lover | November 12, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It matters to me LLee.

Posted by: LUCILLE | November 12, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@hockeytown, old time hockey, and Greg S.

I haven't seen anything to suggest to me that they are capable of playing .600 hockey either, although I still think the talent may be there. I've been reluctant to jump on the anti-Hanlon bandwagon, because I think it's also about an owner who is willing to win but only on a very tight budget; but sitting there watching Tortorella juggle his lines and take advantage last Friday night with no response from the Caps bench just about pushed me over the edge. Anyway, however you slice it, do the math and we're in trouble.

Posted by: Fred | November 12, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Emmer's situation"

That sounds pretty dire. I'm sure you'll have lots of good quotes since you two probably spend a lot of quality time together in the press box every game...

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@Fred

We're all in agreement. The Caps are underperforming in a serious way, and noone at Caps Central seemes to really care. Oh, we hear words from time to time about how we're hurting with players out. That's just smoke and trying to confuse the fans. If they read this blog, they'd be able to tell a few things about their fan base.

1. Crazy as a looney
2. Don't buy Hanlon as a coach for this team. Last years and the one before, fine. Not this one.
3. gmgm isn't doing it for the team, either. The farm team is mediocre, and noone's been an impact player when they came up. In fact, they're anchors.
4. We're tired of losing to Pittsburgh, Philly, NY and Carolina.
5. Our patience has run out with this "management" team. Past time for a new one.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I disagree with the farm team being bad. didn't they win the calder cup a year or two ago? we have the talent, but like you said, Hanlon was a good babysitter, just not the right coach for this team at this time.

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they're doing so hot right now, are they?

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It's not Hanlon's fault.

This team doesn't have the talent to win consistently in the NHL.

Ovie and then who? Backstrom will be a fine player, Nylander is OK, but not top tier, Kozlov is good for maybe 20 goals and then there is a cast of ever changing characters.

Once Semin is finally healthy at least they will compete, but until then they don't have enough punch.

Look at the lines, and then tell me that most teams don't have better...

Posted by: capfan1 | November 12, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

The bears? I don't know. But they do have Motzko!

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan1,

how many 20 goal scorers did the team have last season? and this season we have more talent, yet we take a step back. I don't think it's the talent, it's the improper use of the talent

Posted by: Lee | November 12, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark

alexovetjkin approves this message :-)

Posted by: alexovetjkin | November 12, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@capfan1
You're kidding right?

Ovie, Backstrom, Nylander, Kozlov, Clark, Green, Jurcina, Semin, Poti, Gordon, Steckel, Sutherby. And more. So much talent wasted right now.

No no capfan1 - ALL these players could be top tier if a good coach used them properly.
This is the reason I (and many with me) am so pissed.

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

how 'bout coach Laughlin/ GMJB? Put gm monotone and "the sinking tomato" in the press box...who would do color?

Posted by: fullright | November 12, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Phew! Wrapped up in meetings all day and look what happens 'round here. :)

One thing I keep forgetting to mention as being a possible issue (and I've seen others mention it tangentially) is conditioning.

Maybe with one (possibly two) 1hr practices a week, they just can't skate the full 60. I'd hope that they're in the gym on off days but who knows.

Posted by: keef | November 12, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Ted, please, you are out of your league, please sell the Caps. You have no clue how to run a hockey franchise. I hate to be so pessimistic but your franchise is a joke. Just sell and let us get on with it. Go make movies and cross it off your list. You won't get to the promised land in Hockey. You will not win a Stanley Cup- so please, I beg of you, sell so we can have an owner with hockey perspective, with vision so us p.o'd cap fans can hope and dream once again of hoisting the cup.

Posted by: Golden Laces | November 12, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Keef,
First of all, you need to get your priorities straight. You sit around in meetings all day at work, when there is a ton of pointless arfuing to be done here with your fellow blogaholics.
As far as conditioning goes, I think you can spin that arguement either way. If they don't practice enough, they won't be fit for games. OR If they practice too much, they will not be fresh enough for games.
I think they need the extra practice to work on passing and the PP more than anything else.

Posted by: pmoravek | November 12, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@keef,

I'm going to venture that they don't just practice for an hour and then go hit the Playstation. I'm sure they all lift, ride or whatever when they are done with practice.

Posted by: old time hockey | November 12, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

old time,
I'm sure you are right about that, but there have been many times that Tarik has reported that players have been given the day "off" after a tough loss.
That kinda pisses me off.
After a loss I should think the boys should be on the ice, working out the problems we've all discussed ad-nauseum on this blog.
I know the guys need a couple day off here and there for family, errands, et al...just like the rest of us.
But when things aren't going well at your job, you and your peers are expected to step it up and do extra work....no?
These guys need to be at practice until they get their sh!t in one sock.

Posted by: pmoravek | November 12, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't think they're going home to play themselves on the latest incarnation of the NHL '0X videogame, but I question their stamina. We've seen them come flying out numerous times in the first period just to be dragging by the third. Coaching aside, are they just running outta steam?

pmoravek: It's not that I WANT to be in the meetings. ;)

Posted by: keef | November 12, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

There are precious few players that deserve a day off. AO is one of them that consistently deserves it. During the grind that is the NHL Hockey season, he should be able to take games off as a healthy scratch.

Unfortunately, with the debacle that is the Hanlon/gmgm Caps this year, I don't think that we can afford to give him more than a vew minutes off in a game. This is REALLY bad, because tired players get injured, and we can't afford to have AO out for injuries.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 12, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

*watches the hurricanes/panthers game and sighs at the sight of real coaches*

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
any truth to the rumor that OV rejected a Crosby-esque deal?

Posted by: fullright | November 12, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Greg S
I don't disagree the OV has shown the most "heart & soul" out of any of them...
But there are precious few teams in the NHL that can afford to healthy scratch their best player.
You are right about fatigue being a factor in injuries...that's why we need to be able to roll three and four lines.
This is not a possibilty now because the lines we have are under-performing.
Is it the line-up?
Is it the motivation?
Is it the systems?

I don't have all the answers but I can see what we have isn't working.

Posted by: pmoravek | November 12, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure where that rumor started. but Ovechkin told me about a week ago that there hadn't been any serious negotiations. So i'd be surprised if an offer was made that quickly.

Posted by: Tarik | November 12, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

All is quiet now, so I am assuming that Greg S and Wanda got a room.

Posted by: on ice | November 12, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

my god I hope Cole is all right that doesn't look good

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

what happened to cole?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

He felt head first at full speed onto the goalie pads. Remained completely still for like 10 mins. They brought him out on a stretcher - only eyelids/lips moving. It looks like he's moving extremities from the latest news. Scary stuff.

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I missed it.
All I saw was them carting him off.
It looked precautionary as he seemed awake and alert but I didn't see the incident.

Posted by: pmoravek | November 12, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

mauree,

No I am not kidding. You mentioned Green, Jurcina, Poti, Gordon, Steckel & Sutherby. Except for maybe Poti all those players are fighting for spots on a lot of teams.

No doubt that Hanlon plays a part in this debacle, but realistically we are dealing w/ young guys that are either not ready or should have been deemed "never will be ready" a while ago.

Also, I hate to say it because I love the way he plays and am a huge fan of Ovie, but he is a pure goal scorer and would do so no matter who is on his line. However, he isn't really at this point making other players better. How did Kozlov fare while he was skating w/ him?

The team needs more players like Clark. He is a leader.

Posted by: capfan1 | November 12, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Incident didn't look too bad actually, the aftermath did. Hopefully he'll be ok.

Anyway, it was a good game, good teams... real coaches ... *cough*hanlonsucks*cough*

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik! You da man! by the way, same rumor says he wants 9 to 10 mil...Whatever it takes, i know he's not goin anywhere!

Posted by: fullright | November 12, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

tarik-outstanding article on Eminger. I've loved that kid since i saw him get drafted, and judging by your article he's a tolerant team player, and such are hard to come by in Bettman's NHL. This rare bread of players should not be abused.

Posted by: DC FURY | November 12, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@ capfan1

I agree (except for Green and Gordon I think you're underestimating them), they could do better... that's the whole point: talent needs good coaching to evolve. All these young bucks have considerable talent. And Hanlon is ruining them by not taking advantage of it. Even with Ovie: can you imagine if he could concentrate on scoring goals instead of doing everything he's doing?

Posted by: mauree | November 12, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

COLE UPDATE: From ESPN:

According to Sunrise paramedics, Cole had movement in his arms and legs but did not want to leave the ice because of a previous neck injury.

Vokoun confirmed that.

"He fell down at full speed and hit his head on my chest," Vokoun said, as reported by the newspaper. "He said he thought there was something wrong with his neck, and he'd been injured before. He didn't want to move so I knew it was something serious. I told the refs to call the trainer, to get the stretcher. He kept saying 'my neck, my neck.' He said it hurts."

The veteran of six NHL seasons is less than two years removed from a serious neck injury. Cole sustained a fractured vertebra on March 4, 2006, when he was boarded by Pittsburgh's Brooks Orpik.

Posted by: Dezlboy | November 12, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

Very good article on Eminger, good little peek insight into the Caps behind the walls at Kettler. I think GMGM needs to go along with Hanlon. Why can't Eminger and Sutherby rotate into the line-up along with the liked of Schultz, Erskine, Pouthier, Bradley, Brashear, and so on???

They bring these guys up from Hershey and play them a few games then send them back down. What this tells me is that the playoffs are truly not in their sights this year! Why not rotate the scratches in and out of the line-up every other game? Instead GMGM, brings the AHL players up for a skate or two.

I think GMGM and Hanlon have lost direction. President Patrick are you lost, too? Maybe the 3 of you need to go on a long journey far away from the Cap organization. The Caps roster has talent to play in the playoffs, now.

When you have a boss who doesn't have a clue you lose confidence in working for them. Asta la vista tres amigos!!!!

Posted by: Comcast Sux | November 12, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What gives with all the healthy scratches of Sudsy? He wears an "A" on his uni to watch tape? Great guy, love his play (hate Glen's lack of holding players accountable) but, heck, we're still $13 million under the cap. Play him or trade him already!

Posted by: olemiss84 | November 13, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

You're obviously on a path to bigger and better, so why not do something that's been overdue for years.

Write the article that finally gets GM fired so OV can be convinced to stay, otherwise it's 100% certain he won't remain in Washington.
Here's your chance to leave a mark for a positive in the DC hockey community.

George McPhee is a complete DISGRACE !!

Posted by: Chief | November 13, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Cole is OK. CT scan negative and he was cleared to fly to Tampa this morning, but will continue to monitored by Carolina staff.

From: article on Laviolette on NHL.com

Posted by: someonewhocares | November 13, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

will continue to be monitored, should read.

Posted by: someonewhocares | November 13, 2007 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Hanlon is still the coach? What gives? I wake up expecting to read a headline about a new coach (and new gm, too). Bugger this franchise

Posted by: Jim | November 13, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I've decided I'll be a good boy today. Yesterday got pretty silly.

@pmoravek

I wouldn't say that AO will sit like next week, or anything. Coaches often will sit a player for a game to give them a break. Usually it's a game they should win handily. But you'll see players like Jagr or Brindy sit a game or two sometime in Feb or March.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 13, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Jagr and Brindy also have some years on AO.

As there is no pattern to the games that we win handily, how can we predict when it is OK to sit AO?

Posted by: Bobo | November 13, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I love the new red unis. I love Ted and George and Greg. But I REALLY love Rod Brind'Amour! Also, glad to hear that Cole will be all right.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

That's what I'm saying, Bobo. I'd want to sit AO a few times during the season, but with things as they are, we can't afford it. The hole is too deep.

I didn't see the play involving Cole, but it sounds ugly. Damn, you hate to see that happen to anyone, let alone someone of his calibre. I hope to see him back on the ice, but will he? This is his second neck injury? That has to play into his mind every time he's on-ice...

From TSN, sounds like he'll travel with the team. That's great news.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 13, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg as in Hanlon before tongues start rolling.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

You love BRINDY? That's a face only his mother would love.

There's hope for me!!! :)

Tarik's article is interesting, not necessarily because of Emminger, but because he can't get answers either from either coach or gm.

This is getting Bizzar to the max!

Posted by: Greg S. | November 13, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Greg, the hole is so deep we're probably close to striking (fools)gold.

Thankfully enough Clark is back. Some leadership can't hurt as it looks minimal from the coach.

Posted by: Bobo | November 13, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Brindy is the REAL thing ~ hockey player extraordinaire. Sigh. Plus his 'canes have excellent management and coaching staff.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Looks pretty clear to me that the team needs changes starting with trading for a goalie who's splitting time with another in the league. Bryzgalov at Anaheim perhaps. Let's face it Olie, can't keep this team in the game any longer nor can he do it for stretches. He'd be perfect for a solid team. But this team makes far too many mistakes. A good keeper needs in, and Johnson traded. When the season is up, let Olie retire and use the goalie we traded for while bringing up the young keeper.

Oh and let Hanlon go. This team lacks discipline and well, yeah, discipline.

Posted by: blankn1612 | November 13, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

This team, management, and coach haven't been picked apart enough? And now you are finding fault with Johnny? Who's next ~ the skate blade sharpener????

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm telling you, this team is Bipolar. If they would take their medicine everyday as ordered by the doctor they would be more consistent.

Posted by: Mitch | November 13, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think that Puckguru put a hex on my computer. I cannot post without going through the preview first and then I am able to post. Or maybe it was you, Greg.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Ya know Wanda, now that you mention it, Nyls was falling all over the place on Saturday instead of his usual cork screwing himself into the ice.

Posted by: Bobo | November 13, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I love Ted and George and Greg.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 09:36 AM

Wanda this is not like marriage... it's OK to hate your own coach and love another coach if he's much better :p

Posted by: mauree | November 13, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Mitch ~ they ARE taking their medicine every day. The dosage needs to be changed.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Mauree ~ I know. I was just trying to use a little reverse psychology....all but the loving Brindy part.

I have to turn off my computer now. It is old and tired and needs a rest. Will try again this afternoon.

Posted by: Wanda | November 13, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Wanda, you just burst my bubble. *sigh*

@blankin1612

Olie can't do it alone. His GAA is respectable. The problem is that the D-men haven't been taught to clear the puck after a shot. The goalie's job is to make the first stop, control the rebounds, make a few remarkable (lucky) saves, and tell the D-men what's happening around them. It seems to me like Olie is holding up his end of the bargain. He's doing it slower, for sure! Some nights are pretty bad.

We are averaging between 2.5 and slightly over 3 goals against. That's not too shabby. That's a pretty middling team spot to be in. With this no-name D, pretty good. Would like to see it under 3, and they could do it if they helped clear the zone more quickly and blocked more shots.

The offense is killing us, or lack thereof. With the guns we have on O, we should be doing just fine. I chalk this up to poor coaching.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 13, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

How bout that article on Eminger? thank god it seems like someone WANTS to play. And it's true, what has Morrisson, Jurcina, or Shultz done to deserve ice time?

At least Green provides some offense, but even he is way out of position half the time.

Posted by: Rob | November 13, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Is Green out of position because he's trying to generate offense that our offense isn't generating?

Posted by: Bobo | November 13, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse