A.O. Named NHL First Star of the Week

After a day off yesterday, most of the Caps went onto the ice a bit early today. Rookie center Nicklas Backstrom, however, did not join his teammates until about 20 minutes into practice. I'll check to see what happened.

Chris Clark (strained groin muscle) skated on his own before the team's session, but it wasn't very hard and he's not out there now. That probably means he's still pretty far away from returning.

Quintin Laing, meantime, left after only a few minutes. I remember seeing him go down and block a shot against the Senators and limp back to the bench. He was also limping pretty bad after the game. I'll check on his status, too.

Update:Backstrom is on the ice and participating fully with the first line in drills. So i'm guessing whatever held him up at the start of practice wasn't too serious.

Update:Okay, here's the latest on Backstrom and Laing. Backstrom has a cold and was receiving treatment. He'll be okay for tomorrow.

Laing has a bruised leg and is "dicey" for the Sens game. "He has grit coming out of grit," Coach Bruce Boudreau said of Laing.

Update:Ovechkin was just named first start of the week.

From the NHL:

Ovechkin tied for first among NHL scorers with seven points (5-2--7) as the Capitals won two of three games. On Dec. 26 he notched one assist in a 3-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning. On Dec. 27 he notched one goal in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. He finished the week by recording four goals and one assist in an 8-6 win over the Ottawa Senators.
Ovechkin leads the Capitals and is 10th in overall NHL scoring with 48 points (30-18--48) in 39 games. His 30 goals place him second in the League behind Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk (32).

Now for the news ownership didn't want to hear: Jaromir Jagr was named second star. Don't look now, but J.J. is heating up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 31, 2007; 10:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quote(s) of the Day
Next: McGrattan Talkin' Tough

Comments

That happened to Laing because Joe B and Locker were talking about how he had never missed a game from an injury from blocking a shot. Those guys do that all the time. "The Caps are doing a great job bottling up Lecavalier tonight"...then Vinny gets 2 goals. Stop jinxing us, guys!

I think Laing will tough it out but I really hate when that stuff happens.

Posted by: MikeyMohawkFan | December 31, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more - they are always jinxing us, I say that during every game I watch! The worst is when they mention a player on the opposing team having a 46-game scoring drought...and then he inevitably scores moments later. Keep the trivia to yourselves, guys!

Hope Laing is OK...we need him!

Posted by: Jill | December 31, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Are we sure Clark didn't tear something? This is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | December 31, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

That's okay; they also said Ovie had never scored four goals in a game!

Posted by: Jinx? | December 31, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

During the Sens game, they kept saying - Heatley is right up there with Ovechkin in goals scored the past 3 seasons, but he is quite tonight... at that moment, I would have bet that Heatley was going to score the game tying goal with 2 min left.

Announcers always do that. "This kicker has not missed in 47 tries." 5 min later "Well Bob, there goes that streak of 47 made field goals... Field goal - no good!"

Backstom just Sore? He will be alright - he seems to be a tough competitor.

Posted by: 828 | December 31, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Please don't take this the wrong way... but, is this all you do? Watch hockey, go to practices, report back to the public, go to the games, travel to cool cities, etc? Do you need an assistant? Seriously????

That is fricken awesome!

Seriously? I'll work for tickets :)

Posted by: 828 | December 31, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. I want Tarik's job.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | December 31, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, any sense on Olie's demeanor. Seemed like from his comments after the last game that he's feeling a little down about his play.

On another note, I think the defense has actually been pretty good so far this season and getting better. Sure they have an occasional breakdown but all teams do. If you watch the games and look at the shot charts, they're keeping the volume of shots way down from previous seasons and giving up less quality chances. And the ones they are giving up, a lot are coming from juicy rebounds that you can't exactly blame the D for anyway.

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@828
hehe you forgot to add "and getting paid for it".

The problem is, not many are qualified for that job. Same as playing NHL hockey: it's an awesome profession, but only few can actually do it at that level. How many among us can write the same kind of reports, maintain the same kind of contacts, information sources, etc?

We're all (well not all lol) good bloggers, but writing for an actual paper requires skills that only a few have.

Oh, and traveling 40 times per season it's cool but not THAT cool. You're confusing it for the occasional vacation.

Posted by: mauree | December 31, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

It's like those commercials...

"YOU WOULDN'T MAKE IT IN THE NHL."

Then you hear "ohhwwwhhoooo" as a guy dips his toe in the tub of ice.

Posted by: pmoravek | December 31, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

i don't suppose backstrom's cold has anything to do with getting trucked by neil? i still don't understand how he popped back up and kept playing after that. tough kid.

Posted by: pgreene | December 31, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

lol I love those commercials.

Posted by: mauree | December 31, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Im sorry i am posting this in this thread, but tarik, is there any validity to whats being reported that OV was offered a 5 year, 37.5 mil contract and was "insulted." Saw it on cbs webpage this morning. thanks

Posted by: OV Contact | December 31, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a cool job. The only downside would be the 6 a.m. flights after games. Get to sleep at 1 or 2 and wake up at 3:30 or so. Then do that three times in a week.

Posted by: Tarik | December 31, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

All I'll say about the numbers being reported is this: there's only a very small number of people who are privy to them. And when I say small, I mean small.

Posted by: Tarik | December 31, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom's probably getting an Icy Hot treatment in the trainer's room. After that hit from Neal I can imagine he would be a little stiff. Let's give this guy some credit for toughness. He gets walloped in the corner (probably had his head down a little) a hit which would have left some guys cockroached, picks himself off the ice immediately and scores a goal on his next shift. And he's a rookie. And not to mention all the little stuff this guy does throughout the game from takeaways to forechecking to defensive zone coverage. Yes he does make a mistake now and then but he's just a kid-a kid who plays like a 10-year veteran. He can also get the puck to AO a talent which will earn him millions of dollars. I haven't seen too much of the Blackhawk rookies but I've seen enough of Nick to know he should be a serious contender for the Calder. There's a former player he reminds me of who was also a great two-way player and made a feast of serving up his sniper line mate and he was also a #19: Bryan Trottier. Let's hope Nick has six rings in him.

Posted by: Just make a save | December 31, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

pmoravek you got me going on youtube lol:

the commercial you mentioned

Also, does anyone remember this cool AO commercial ?

Posted by: mauree | December 31, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

re: Ovechkin Talks

I'd give him 7 years, 70 million in a heartbeat. Why screw around?

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Kane started out strong but has slowed down a bit, Backstrom started out slowly and is picking up points in bunches.

#19 for Calder (sorry Shultz)

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

For those that are mentioning doing Tarik's job, remember, you'd also have to put up with certain members of this blog!

As for the reports that OV was insulted buy the caps offer, if there is ANY truth to the rumour, it is just a feeler. I would hope that GMGM and the organization are not that stoopid.

And for the Sens tomorrow, they said they were upset prior to Saturday's game. Now the caps have put a snowman up on them (my normal score for a par 3). ANyone think they are gonna be any more upset with the Caps?

Posted by: Lee | December 31, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Laing got a contusion on his leg. Those are naaaaaaaaasty. I think he may be sitting tomorrow as it is really hard to play on that.

Posted by: EricS | December 31, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

I just hope we get better goaltending against the Sens. I don't think we'll score another 8-spot on them this time.

Think we'll see Emery this time?

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

My money is on Laing being in the lineup. "Grit coming out of Grit" doesn't sit for a bruise.

Posted by: Just make a save | December 31, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I figured that those numbers wouldn't get out that easily, considering when the caps do announce i signing, they never state the terms of the contract.

Just a fun thought, wouldn't it be a great new years for Caps Fans if before tomorrows game, for the new year, they announced the extension of OV and Green. That would make my day

Posted by: OV Contact | December 31, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@Sapper (I'm a former Sapper, BTW)

I agree with the goaltending on our end. Ollie is having a worse game every time out. just when you think it couldn't get worse...

Posted by: Lee | December 31, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Laing is a tough SOB. My guess is that he will dress for the game.

I wouldn't panic just yet about OV. There are tons of reports out there about OV wanting to go to this team or wanting to play for that team, but look at who is writing all that nonsense...reporters from cities that want OV. At this point, it is all just alot of overblown hype made up by people who don't know any more about the situation than you or I do.

Posted by: BearsWooo | December 31, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

Put me in the "former" category too. I just go by that because that's my handle on the Caps' Boards. Goes way back to my old handle I used playing Delta Force 2 online years ago. I still use AbnSapper on XBox Live. Old habits, you know.......

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, airborne sapper, you must have been a lawn dart with the 82nd!

Ft. Leonard Wood and Ft. Campbell.

Posted by: Lee | December 31, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What is the official hockey treatment for a cold?

Kleenex?

Posted by: Stormblue | December 31, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

With the way the Caps report injuries it's almost a joke to believe Backstrom missed part of practice with a cold.

Posted by: Just make a save | December 31, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I went to Airborne when I was a cadet. I was heavy mech most of the time. Spent the last several years of my service in the Guard and Army Reserve. My last job was ABE for 1BCT/40ID mainly doing warfighter exercises with 2ID in Korea (Camp Casey). Coincidentally, my old college roomate was an Ops officer with 2nd Engineers right down the road at Camp Castle. I used to bump into him all the time both on and off-duty. (small world)

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@BearsWooo

Well, one thing is clear, Ovechkin is not signed. That means the sides are far apart. Why would you start to worry? Because Ovechkin acts as it's own agent and there's an ugly part to it, tensions can rise and Ovechkin can ask for a trade.

Even Spector for the first time said it:
unless Ovechkin demands a trade (see at the bottom http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/2007/12/is-this-example-of-long-term-problem.html

Posted by: alexovetjkin | December 31, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd still feel better if he was under wraps for a while. I wonder if the long-term Jagr deal is making Ted sketchy. Seems to me Ovy is totally different, though.

Like I said, I'd do a 10 yr / 70 mil deal easy.

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Sapper,

10 year 70 mil? do you mean 7 year 70 mil, or 10 year 100 mil? No way is OV signing for 7 mil a year.

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What's the status on Semin? He got hurt during drills and left the ice early today.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Posted by: Quick DCM | December 31, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If OV is insulted by the offer, it seems likely that his people are the leak to CBS. A statement offer seems a no-brainer for the Caps. I wonder if Ted, who is surely cental to this negotiation, is still smarting from what happened with the Jagr contract. If so, he ought to realize that OV and Jagr are made of completely different stuff.

Posted by: Marc | December 31, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Semin was hurt at practice? Say it ain't so! I just bought myself a Semin jersey too! Totally what I get for finally deciding to commit to a man. Ugh.

Posted by: SLM | December 31, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Grit coming out of grit."

I hope that's not a medical description.

As for Backstrom/Calder, he's good, but I'm not sure he he's even the best Sweedish rookie.

Posted by: old time hockey | December 31, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I meant an initial offer of 10/70. He might take that. That's 70M guaranteed. Maybe 10/70 plus 10-20 in incentives.

If you have to go to 10M/year, why give him a long-term contract? You might as well go 3/30 and renegotiate later.

Posted by: Sapper | December 31, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, if you think the NHL cap is going to keep going up, 10 mil per year might look like a bargain in 5 years. Anyway, it sounds like all of the people saying "Ovie's price is going up" are worrying for nothing, because Ovie's price is already max high.

Posted by: tallbear | December 31, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@old time,

What Swede do you have in mind?

@sapper,

Going with a shorter term deal could back fire as he approaches UFA time with teams cap going up with 20% meaning more cash as well. He could get $12 mil + at that point vs locking him in at 10.

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Quick DCM
I saw that too.

Any word on 28 Tarik?

Posted by: pmoravek | December 31, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

>Now for the news ownership didn't want to hear: Jaromir Jagr was named second star.

lol

Isn't Caps in dire need for right wing?

Problem solved. :-)

Posted by: alexovetjkin | December 31, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

mauree - I love the Oile/anniversary commerical ... and the one of the centers "facing off" at a bar - remember that one? I can't remember who was in it. Speaking of, the Caps commercials are terrible this year ... what's up with that?!? Love the NHL commercials, but the Caps commercials - YUK! I could do better with an 8mm ...

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

According to tsn.ca Ovechkin is on pace for 63 goals

Posted by: alexovetjkin | December 31, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Semin is fine, from what I observed after practice.

Posted by: Tarik | December 31, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like the hottie getting the tattoo commercial. The others do suck though.

Posted by: Bobo | December 31, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Ovechin 'insulted' by Caps offer
Posted: Monday December 31, 2007 07:04AM ET
The Capitals aren't willing to pay the price to keep Alexander Ovechkin. At least not yet. Sources say Caps GM George McPhee "insulted" Ovechkin by offering a five-year, $37.5-million deal. Ovechkin thumbed his nose at the offer. It's believed Ovechkin, who fired agent Don Meehan and is representing himself, wants $9-$10 million a season.

Toronto Sun

Posted by: blankn1612 | December 31, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

the bar "face off" was Nikolishin and Kono if my memory serves. I wish the Caps put all of those old commercials on their website. Bondra and Simon in the grocery store was my favorite.

Also, I know Chris Clark has a Cadaver's jaw line. Can we get him a Cadaver's groin muscle so we can get him back already?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | December 31, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

it's an interesting decision. if laing was injured enough to slow him down, at what level of plays is it a good idea to replace him with pettinger? if it was just a regular bruise would they be talking about it?

Posted by: jim* | December 31, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Alexo,

How many is Olie on pace to give up?

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Bobo - not so hot, and it does not even remotely look like a real tat (I hate that one - sorry!).

Sombrero Guy - I have not see the grocery store one ... I can only imagine!! :-) Also, I think Clark has a cadaver bone in his palate, not his jawline ... regardless, good question about his groin muscle!! ;-)

So nothing exciting going on for the Winter Classic, huh? Guess I will be camped out in front of the TV, making a break for the VC at some point.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

If Ovie'll keep scoring 4 a game, Olie can give up as many as he wants, no problem. :-)

Posted by: alexovetjkin | December 31, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!,

Posted by: Bobo | December 31, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Bodo said:

"Compared to the lady Pens fans that we see at the phone-booth, she's a hottie. Watch the commercial non-hi-def in a smoky bar and the quality of the tattoo improves, or close one eye and squint."

LOL!!!! :-D I will have to try that! (Does that work when the Caps are having an off game, too?!?) It may help the tat, but it won't help her or that commercial ... but then again, I am probably the wrong one to ask (I am just glad I am not the the lady Pens fans that you are talking about!). BTW, thanks for not insulting the lady CAPS fans!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I once saw a royal rumble between a lady pens fan and a lady caps fan on the metro platform. Probably one of the greatest things I have ever seen. They both weighed close to 250 Lbs (each), so it was a true heavyweight fight. The Caps fan was on top when their laughing husbands separated them. No blood was spilled thankfully.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | December 31, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I asked ovie after practice how the leg was, he laughed and said "dont ask" he;s got quite a limp right now

Posted by: Andrew | December 31, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Was the royal rumble before or after the game...?

I've seen some real hockey smiles from the lady pens fans.

Posted by: Bobo | December 31, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Jeff Friesen's 'groin' injury? It turned out to be a sports hernia. He missed a lot of time misdiagnosed and eventually had surgery after they figured it out. i hope the med staff is smart enough to check for it.

Posted by: kenwood | December 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Enstrom. Great numbers and he's a D. (True, he's a Mike Green no "D" style D, but good enough.)

Posted by: old time hockey | December 31, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

All the new commercials suck, except for the one with Chris Clark talking about all his injuries and stiches and such...he is a great leader and captain...ironic that it's a strained groin thats been keeping him out so long, yet he played 3-4 days after getting his palate bone crushed and several teeth knocked out last year. Hope he gets well soon!

Posted by: #17 Rules All | December 31, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"According to tsn.ca Ovechkin is on pace for 63 goals"- Alexovetjkin.

That is great, he will have to keep a pace of scoring at least one goal on 75% of the remaining games.
And remember, Alex pace for the year is as follows:
Before the last game 56
After the last game 63
Can he do it? He could. Would he do it? mmmm ... I would not get my hopes up.

Posted by: Joe | December 31, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@Old time,

Here's Enstrom's info. Agree, pretty good numbers, respectable ice time for a rookie.

And I thought Greener was undersized for D. Looks like he had 3 assists in Hanlon's last game though...

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

#17 Rules All - not only did he play shortly after that injury, he kept skating right after it happened, finishing his shift! That's what makes this injury so odd - he usually takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ... it must be pretty bad to keep him down this long!

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@Boo

Well, Clark shouldn't be using his palate bone to play hockey, but he does us his groin muscle in every game. :)

Posted by: Gelf | December 31, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The groin muscle can be a real problem.
(You guys that play know what I mean)

If you haven't skated in a few years, then you go back out on the ice, it's one of the first muscles screaming "ATROPHY"!!!

Consequently, if you damage it, it can take a long time before it feels right again.

Posted by: pmoravek | December 31, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

It was nice talking to you this morning at practice. (Although it was brief.)

Keep up the good work!
Pete

Posted by: pmoravek | December 31, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The Clark injury commercial would have been so much better at the end if he gave a toothless smile before the credits!

Posted by: Super | December 31, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Or if it showed Quintin Laing giving Clarkie a ride to the dentists.

Posted by: pmoravek | December 31, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@Old Time

While Enstrom has good numbers there's no way he's a better Swede or candidate for the Calder. The way Nick's accumulating points in bunches he is bound to catch Toews and Kane before the end of the season. But that's only a small part of his game. What he does in the corners, on the power play, shorthanded, he's just a better all-around player than any rookie out there. And as I stated earlier this kid plays like a 10 year veteran.

Posted by: Just make a save | December 31, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Does it depress anyone else that the best we can hope for out of the Caps netminders is that they don't lose the games for the team? Be a novel idea if Olie stepped up and won one for the team 1-0 or 2-1 instead of the one goal win being 4-3.

Olie's GAA and SV % don't inspire much faith.

Moot point if OV and keep scoring 4 a game.

Posted by: Steve R | December 31, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from The Netherlands....HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Posted by: Jleftwing97 | December 31, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I just read the TSN updated Power rankings. Tampa Bay goes from 27'th to 26'th (improves 1 rank) while the Caps go from 28'th to 29'th (goes down 1 rank). I don't get it. The Caps move ahead of TB in the standings, December was a strong month point-wise and we have another great game against Ottawa.

Posted by: harry | December 31, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

To remind/reinforce a first in hockey: tomorrow's accuweather forecast for Orchard Park, N.Y. (Sabres V. Pens game starts @ 1 pm on NBC)

High: 34°F RealFeel®: 17°F
Increasingly windy with snow, accumulating an additional 1-3 inches; blowing and drifting snow
winds: wsw @ 21 mph; gust to 43 mph

AND THEN we get the home game!

WOW! finally something for the hockey fan/couch potato on New Years Day!

Posted by: clarendon | December 31, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The Lady Caps/Lady Pens metro platform battle royal was AFTER a game. I think it was during the season

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | December 31, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Clarendon - AMEN to that!! :-) However, no need to be a couch potato after the Winter Classic - you have PLENTY of time to get get VC (from Clarendon) for the Caps game!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Pens vs. Buff outside.

70,000+ obnoxious Pens and Buff fans all in one place...

Thank God we don't live in that h@@l hole.

Posted by: Buffalo sucks | December 31, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo sucks - yes, I must agree that I cannot think of fans that I dislike more, but I still love the idea of the Winter Classic ... wish I could be there!

Posted by: Boo! | December 31, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

It's New Year's Eve and I'm tired, so I've taken to day dreaming at 11pm as my newborn daughter sleeps in my lap.

So maybe I'm just being silly but wouldn't it be nice if Ted decides to give everybody a New Year's present, and he holds a big ceremony before the Ottawa game -- announcing that Alex Ovechkin has signed a new 8-year, 72-million dollar contract?

It's the perfect day to do it. A celebratory atmosphere.. plus NBC is televising the outdoor game, so the announcement would make news on a national hockey broadcast in between periods.

Ah, Life is good.. oh wait a minute.. I'm still awake..

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | December 31, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

To Jleftwing97 - Happy New Year! back at you!

Posted by: dezlboy | December 31, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year 2008, everybody!

Lets go Caps!!!

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | January 1, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

BTW, my last response was TO "Buffalo Sucks", I was not writing that (not that I would dispute that, I just typically try not to be so ... uh ... eloquent :-)).

Oneal - I'll drink to that ... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 1, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey board. Happy New Year to all here!

I'm hoping someone can explain the Jagr thing, because I haven't done my research on this one and I don't really understand all the pieces to his contract. Someone mentioned that how well he does this season somehow impacts whether we continue to pay for him, but I don't understand how.

Could someone enlighten me? Was my chain being pulled? How much does he hurt us cap-wise in '08-'09?

Posted by: Raber | January 1, 2008 5:24 AM | Report abuse

Happy New Year, all! Let's start off the year right with a win today.

@Raber: I don't think that Jagr counts towards the salary cap, so there is no impact from that standpoint. However, the Caps are on the hook for about $4 million in his salary this year. He has an option year in his contract that, if exercised, would mean we are on the hook for another $4 million next year. While that doesn't count against our salary cap, it no doubt factors into Ted's budget for the team.

If I've gotten this wrong, someone please correct me.

Posted by: Fred | January 1, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@Raber

Jagr doesn't count against the Caps' cap. but if he has a good year and the Rangers win a playoff round, that triggers an automatic option year ...meaning the Caps will be on the hook for $3.46 again next season.

Posted by: Tarik | January 1, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

jagr is a ufa at the end of the year, yes? so does ted owe that $ (if jagr hits the requirements) to any team that signs him or is it only if he stays w/ the rangers? what if ny offers him a pay cut? does that influence the $3.46?

Posted by: jim* | January 1, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Stuff of this kind always sounds attractive, no matter what exactly is written. My friends and I always visit this page and write a lot of comments, because this type of news are amazing.

Posted by: st | April 6, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

From the beginning your blog was trash. But now it is great. I hope you gonna keep writing that way.

Posted by: Chris | April 9, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse