Posted at 11:07 AM ET, 12/28/2010

Semyon Varlamov first goaltender off the ice at KCI

By Katie Carrera

It looks like Semyon Varlamov, the last goaltender to get a win for the Caps, will start tonight against the Montreal Canadiens at Verizon Center. Practice had close to perfect attendance this morning, which Coach Bruce Boudreau attributed to several players hoping to rejoin the team in time for the Winter Classic.

As for tonight's contest against the Canadiens, though, a few players won't be able to take the ice quite yet.

--Tom Poti won't face Montreal and neither will Marcus Johansson, who is nursing a nagging injury, the nature of which was not disclosed by the team. Poti skated and took part in extra work with the assistant coaches while Johansson was not on the ice.

Update: Poti, who hopes to be back in time for the Winter Classic, confirmed that a head injury that forced him out of last Thursday's game against the Penguins after playing just 3:34 when John Erskine's stick smashed into his jaw. The veteran defenseman has no visible cuts or injury to his face or head.

--Mathieu Perreault (broken nose) also took part in the regular scratches skate along with Poti, D.J. King and Tyler Sloan. Boudreau said the center was "questionable" for tonight's game, but by staying on the ice longer this morning, it doesn't look like Perreault will be quite ready to go.

Don't be surprised if you see Keith Aucoin in either Perreault or Johansson's usual spot centering the second or third line tonight.

--Jeff Schultz (fractured thumb) said he plans to skate in warmups tonight and will talk to Boudreau about returning to the lineup as early as tonight against the Canadiens.

By Katie Carrera  | December 28, 2010; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Marcus Johansson, Mathieu Perreault, Montreal Canadiens, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals among teams being considered to start 2011-12 season overseas
Next: Scott Hannan, Mike Green starting to mesh, but Jeff Schultz could soon be back in the mix

Comments

May the "Shultz," be with you young Skywalker.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI and @Mark

I only believe you are correct if we are exceeding the salary cap ceiling which we are not. Since we aren't exceeding the ceiling, the salaries just keep adding up and eating into the cap. The only way you get help with the cap is when you place someone on LTIR and would be exceeding the cap by calling someone up. I could be wrong and you guys could be right, but thats the way I understand it.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

@ThePat

I think you are correct on this.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

@ThePat

I think you are correct on this.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Did people see that Brian Rolston is going to be put on re-entry waivers. This will reduce his cap hit from $5M to $2.5M for the team that picks him up.

So that $2.5M for the rest of this year becomes $1.25M.

I wonder who will pick him up. Should the Caps take a look?

I was just thinking that the Caps best 3rd line would be to have Laich and Knuble as the wings. Picking up another winger, such as Rolston, would allow this.

Ovie/Backstrom/Fehr
Rolston/MP(center to be named later)/Semin
Laich/(BGordon or Steckel)/Knuble
Chimera/Hendricks/Bradley

I really love the idea of having a 3rd line with Lach/BGordon(if healthy)/Knuble. I think that would be a great checking line that would also have the ability to tap in a few goals on good forechecks and cycling. All of the players are good along the boards too.

There are going to be other options so I'm not saying the Caps should do this, but it is interesting to think about. (Personally, I would rather have Langenbrunner).

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. I happened to be trolling the links this morning and I have to say that this link from a Pennsylvania paper is the worst piece of trash news/opinion I have ever seen. With all due respect to the classy Pens posters on this site, this is the reason we need to keep the other idiots off this site. Thank God we settle these games on the ice and not in print.

Posted by: robostop10 | December 28, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Practice had close to perfect attendance this morning, which Coach Bruce Boudreau attributed to several players hoping to rejoin the team in time for the Winter Classic"

Gee... isn't that special? How about if more guys practiced on a regular basis, simply because the coach demanded it? What a novel idea...

Pass on Rolston... I agree that a 3rd line with Knuble and Laich would be ideal, but the guy they add in the top 6 would have to be a good combination of skill/grit. Rolston isn't very gritty and his skills have clearly eroded.

Posted by: chombie13 | December 28, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who have expressed interest in Rolston, have you seen him play this year or last? Even if you excuse this year's performance to the Devils' slump in general, he didn't do much of anything last season, when the Devils finished first in the Atlantic with over 100 points. If you need any convincing to stay away from him, just check out the comments on the Devils' blogs!

A much better choice from NJ would be Jason Arnott, a VETERAN center in the last year of his contract. He's the Devils leading scorer and a proven leader, having been the captain of Nashville before this past summer's trade to the Devils (for which he waived his no trade clause) to return to the team with which he won a Cup. There's a trade I'd like to see!

Posted by: Thisistheyear | December 28, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

...also, Rolston has another year on his over-35 contract which would count at the full $2.5M cap hit.

Posted by: Thisistheyear | December 28, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@Thisistheyear

But Arnott is not coming through re-entry waivers right now.

I'm not saying the Caps should go after him, but it is worth considering Rolston at the reduced price due to re-entry waivers. Just a topic of conversation and Rolston is considered a good two-way player and is a veteran presence.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Im no on Rolston...That would leave us with very little cap room to get a 2C, which we need much more. We have wing depth, no C depth.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chombie13

I personally would like Langenbrunner and think he would be very nice player to add.

But I thought Rolston was considered a very good two-way player for most of his career. Would he also add a presence on the PP because he is considered a good player at the point with a booming shot. This would allow Ovie to play down low.

I'm not for Rolston, I'm just trying to look at it from the other side(the pro-Rolston side) for the topic of conversation.

I also love the idea of being able to have Knuble and Laich both play on the 3rd line.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if practice will be at normal time (11:00), tomorrow?

Posted by: MoeGreene13 | December 28, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@MoeGreen

there is no practice tomorrow.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Vogel tweeted that there is no practice tomorrow at Kettler. They are supposed to practice at Kettler on Thursday prior to heading to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: _Mark | December 28, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope the "hockey gods" piss all over the NHL's attempt to "showcase" Crosby again.
There are an awful lot of good teams not getting a chance to play in this because of "Mr. washing machine".

I like "The Classic", but I'm sick of the Crosby focus on everything the league does.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 28, 2010 12:24 PM

@Hunterforcoach:

Can't say I hope the WC gets postponed/canceled, but I do agree with you 1000% about the unrelenting sewer-torrent of Crosby-Love:

Ziss story iss becomingk tiresome; now iss za time on Shprockets ven ve dance!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 28, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

Good point. That is, by far, the biggest deterrent in going after Rolston(IMO).

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

No on Rolston for me too...If we were to try and pick up a veteran center at the deadline, I'm thinking Iginla.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse