More Details on New HD Screens at Verizon

I have to say I'm looking forward to actually being able to make out the puck on replays this season.

From the Caps:

Verizon Center debuts the ultimate arena experience on Tuesday, September 25 during the Washington Capitals first home preseason game: the first indoor high-definition LED scoreboard. ANC Sports Enterprises and Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision Systems created and installed, and will operate, the high-definition LED center-hung scoreboard. Verizon Center is also the first arena to exclusively feature Diamond Visionâ„¢ LED fascia (ribbon displays), corner stat displays, and video boards driven by ANC Sports' patent pending VisionSOFT operating system.

And ...

The four high-definition Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Visionâ„¢ 6mm video screens measure 14 feet, 5 inches high by 25 feet, 2 inches wide, providing fans with the highest clarity of all the action, including video playback. In addition to the high-definition boards, the new center-hung scoreboard features four 10mm 5 foot, 3 inch high by 25 foot 6 inch wide LED video matrixes and two 20mm LED rings. The four 10mm video matrixes feature images with clarity found on many primary arena video screens around the country, creating an incredible visual structure with the high-definition displays that exhibit over 68 billion colors.

Sounds like money well spent to me.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 21, 2007; 9:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pokulok and Sloan To Hershey
Next: Tonight's Lineup In Tampa

Comments

is there any correlation between being able to see the puck in HD and putting a successful team on the ice?

Posted by: jon | September 21, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Any details on improvements to the sound system in the building?

Posted by: Jay | September 21, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Ehhhhhhh....id it wrong for me to miss the old board? I like a scoreboard that looks like a scoreboard. It's just not right is it isn't incadescent bulbs for the scores. A pile of fancy TV screens just doesn't scream "scoreboard" to be.

Posted by: EricS | September 22, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I asked about the sound system, and no one seems to know whether that was upgraded, too. We can only hope.

Posted by: Tarik | September 22, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

jon, there is no correlation between an HD screen and success on the ice. however, there is a strong correlation between people who find fault in everything and people who live in their mom's basement and spend friday nights posting on a message board.

dude, tarik is talking about one first of it's kind high def scoreboard which can only be considered a hugh upgrade from what was there and you can only find some reason to turn that into a complaint about the team? you should probably just stay home and watch the games on a 27" low def tv. and in case you were worried that ted was spending his money on high def screens and not the team, remember that these upgrades are being paid for via debt issuances from dc.

Posted by: to Jon | September 22, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Ted sure does love to spend money on toys which is great for the fans. The Caps keep tinkering in ways to help the team, but what I love the most is the old-fashioned arena organ, which they use a bit still. Gotta love old time hockey. I can't wait to travel from PA to see the Caps play this winter. I love seeing the prospects in Hershey (really great fan base there and great cheap seats), but seeing the real game is awesome, and now seeign it better on the screen is super.

Posted by: Jim | September 22, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Do you have any pictures?

Posted by: mac | September 22, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Awesome - the new scoreboard trend is pretty awesome. I was watching the preseason Devs at Rangers game on MSG-HD last night and they showed a few shots of the new scoreboard system there, and it looks pretty sweet. The high-tech Verizon Center one should be even better.

I'll try and snap a couple of pics to get the difference between the HD one at VC (where I'll be on 10/6) and MSG (10/12) so you can all see how lucky you are not to live in New York. ;)

Posted by: Kurt | September 22, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Japanese technology! Sugoi! (super)

Posted by: tokyo fan | September 22, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The real question is whether those of us in the building will be able to see the same replays the folks at home see on television, especially after penalties. Never been able to figure out why those watching for free at home get a better view of what's happened than those of us who are paying to go to the games.

Posted by: carl | September 22, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Jon > jon

Posted by: HaHa | September 23, 2007 1:40 AM | Report abuse

carl - I couldn't agree with you more. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember back at USAir Arena they were somewhat consistent about getting replays up on the jumbotron moments after they happened on the ice - and not just goals and nice saves, but penalties, hits, and nice plays as well.

Nothing drives me more insane (well, apart from what's going on on the ice) than seeing what I believe to be a questionable penalty called, looking up to the screens to get a better look, and seeing nothing but live footage of the players standing around waiting for the penalties to get sorted out. The quantity and consistency of replays at the phone booth has just been awful.

Posted by: HolyOlie | September 23, 2007 6:44 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, the District of Columbia spent the money on the arena upgrades including the Scoreboard not the Caps or Wizards (at the behest Abe).

Posted by: Bubba | September 23, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Replays--The NHL has a mandate that says you can't show certain things to the in-arena crowd in fear of inciting a riot. Because we all know how boisterious and riotous we got at Capital Centre, wait that was the Flyers fans.

Sound System--Heard they did some things to it late last season, but really don't know more than that as a Mystics fan is the one that told me it sounded better. Though with the new board, they probably did some work to the center cluster that was under the scoreboard. Doesn't help anyone but me when I announce the youth and adult games there.

Scoreboard--I agree with the incandescent boards. I always thought it was kind of "homey" to see the burned out lights here and there, but having worked with and fixed scoreboards, these new ones will be a lot easier to maintain, though I do like the style of the old boards better. And to the person going to MSG, where can I find the pic of the new MSG scoreboard after you take it?

I'll be at Verizon Center tomorrow night for the game, primarily to see the new board, what they do with it and how it's laid out. With everything the Caps crew has done with the boards in the past, I only see them salivating at the possibilities this year and delivering a really explosive show.

Will the White Way message boards still be up in the corners of the arena or will these become stat boards/penalty clocks like the Portland Trailblazers have?

Posted by: Jarrod | September 24, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

It was Mitsubishi airplanes that bombed Pearl Harbor! Why are we dealing with this company?

Posted by: Crusty Caphcky | September 25, 2007 6:32 AM | Report abuse