More on new Capital Scott Walker

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Here are a few links on newly-acquired Caps forward Scott Walker, who comes from the Hurricanes in exchange for a seventh-round draft pick:

* Some history, including this, from a 2001 article in The Tennessean: "How can you not laugh at a guy who sometimes packs nothing more than a toothbrush when he goes on road trips? A guy who enjoys traipsing about naked in hotel rooms? A guy who's fond of saying he'd rather hang out with his 135-pound St. Bernard than with his teammates?..." (Bog)

*The basics. (TSN)

*Some audio from the Caps/Canes: Scott Walker | Paul Maurice

*Walker's playoff history. (DC Examiner)

*Walker's game-winning overtime in Game 7 of the 2009 Eastern Conference semifinal vs. Boston:

*Walker's reaction:

Stay tuned for more.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 3, 2010; 1:48 PM ET
 | Tags: Scott Walker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps acquire Scott Walker from Carolina
Next: Deal No. 2: Caps get center Eric Belanger

Comments

TSN is reporting Belanger from Minnesota for a secound rounder.

Posted by: Raber | March 3, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Yep.

Apparently he can play tough, play in corners, do the little things, etc..while also providing some offense and finesse. Seems like the perfect guy to be that flexible 2nd/3rd line center.

Also, he can play wing and he kills penalties.

Sounds like a good pick-up to me..if under the radar. I want to see some of these forwards moved out though...

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Saw that in the Buzz too. Not familiar with him but so far just picks....Someone has be leaving????

Posted by: Iceman10 | March 3, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

i'm guessing Flash or Fehr has to be one of the fwds getting packaged up for a D

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think a forward or two is definitely moving now - we've gotten 2 forwards for 2 draft picks so far. Hopefully, a forward or two and maybe picks for a solid dman.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

From TEB's Twitter:

"Eric Belanger to Caps for a second round pick. He's a veteran center from Minnesota."

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Belanger?! I just don't really see the big picture here.

Posted by: nicko | March 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

actually the other possibility is we're just going to play 5 forwards on the ice at all times

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I like both of these. And nothing but draft picks going out the door.

Walker adds dpeth, toughness, and playoff experience. Belanger is the 3C we needed. Was hoping for a 2C, but B Mo is adequate there. Does make me wonder though if another move has to happen to fit Walker/Belanger on the roster.

Posted by: Gould23 | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I would hope another trade is coming, but I wouldn't count on it either.

Washington may be done today folks. Don't know what we are supposed to do with our 20 NHL forwards.

(Also, Belanger is a defensive center, as he's described. Good pick-up I think)

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I like the Eric Belanger move. He kills 1:44 of penalities a game and has a faceoff winning % of 57%

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I've seen on Belanger - fairly consistent 13-20 goal scorer, 20+ assists, good FO%, low PIM. A second great FO center would certainly help.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm just happy we haven't traded a single player/prospect. That being said, GMGM is about to make a splash given the Scott Walker trade. Exciting day - 1 more hour!

Posted by: Raber | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gould23 | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM |

Belanger is a better defensive center and he has as much finesse ability.

I think Belanger can flex between he 2nd/3rd center better than BMo.

Trade BMo at this point. Any team need a rental finesse center?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I really like the Belanger move. I now hold no grudge toward GMGM for not picking up Sutton for that 2nd round pick. He made good use of it.

Belanger should help out the PK tremendously and he may be the guy on the ice for crucial defensive zone faceoffs when leading with under a 2 minutes to go.

I do not know enough about him, but is he the type of center that could be used to face Crosby and have Belanger follow him all over the ice?

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: PhilR | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

NEW 3rd line??

Chimera-Belanger-Walker

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM |

Oh man, if he can be a shadow guy as well, then I love the move more.

All I know about him is that he's defensively sound, can be tough while also showing some finesse skills, and he kills penalties.

I love this move, thought it puts a huge ? on other forwards right now.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil -- if we trade B.Mo, who's 2nd C? Flash?

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I could see moving Fehr or Flash now - I'd prefer Flash be the one to move, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them go in the next hour.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay - thank you for putting this stuff together so quickly! You guys all do a great job of keeping us well-informed.

Posted by: EddieP1 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think there's a chance they plan to move Walker back on Defense. Apparently he was converted from Defense to RW. They keep saying he's a tough SOB, but does he have the speed and energy we need back there.

Posted by: RockyDog1 | March 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse