More on new Caps defenseman Joe Corvo

(Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

Some chatter about Joe Corvo, the Caps' final acquisition of a busy trade deadline day. The defenseman comes from Carolina in exchange for fan favorite Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala and a second-round draft pick in 2011.

*"In 2003, Corvo pleaded guilty to two counts relating to an attack on a Boston woman, including felony assault and battery with his foot." (@dcsportsbog)

*"Joe Corvo is also a UFA this summer. Cap number is $2.625 - just slightly above Pothier, who is also a UFA." (@bmcnally14)

*"He's a better puck-mover than Pothier and will help on the power play. Pothier's been on the brink for a while, never having recovered after a massive rehab from a concussion and become superfluous after the acquisition of Tom Poti. Corvo isn't what they needed on the blue line, but he's an upgrade in talent." (Puck Daddy)

*"Corvo returned to the ice in late January after missing two months recovering from a horrible skate cut to his calf." (TSN)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 3, 2010; 3:29 PM ET
 | Tags: Joe Corvo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps add Carolina's Joe Corvo, deal Brian Pothier and Oskar Osala
Next: Rate the Caps' trades for Walker, Belanger, Jurcina and Corvo

Comments

Visnovsky from EDM to ANA for Whitney.

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Low risk - team core still here - if the trades don't work out, then they're gone at thee end of the year anyhow.

Posted by: SavedByZero | March 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Green and Corvo have the worst tattoos ever. They will be best friends.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SavedByZero | March 3, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Lol..you didn't have to post them. haha

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Corvo tattoo: http://media.canada.com/idl/otct/20060915/120648-45626.jpg

Posted by: SavedByZero

YUCK! But at least it's not like Ryan Malone's... ew

Posted by: rachel216 | March 3, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Corvo better be ready to fight tonight.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 3, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

And similar faux hawk wild hair tendencies....

Posted by: jdhoover | March 3, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

TSN reports that Jucina was diagnosed with sports hernia today....

Posted by: dezlboy1 | March 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Corvo's behindthenet rating (this is your +/- compared to your teammates'): +0.61. That makes him the second-best defenseman at that stat on the Carolina roster.

Pothier's behindthenet rating: +0.21.

Aren't both Pothier and Corvo unrestricted free agents after this year? So we probably would've lost Pothier anyway this summer.

I think the Capitals became a more complete team today.

I think we got someone willing to fight (Walker), a solid defensive center (Belanger), and have made an all-around upgrade at defenseman a little. Altogether, Caps will probably end up a little better at team defense by the time the playoffs start, and a little more likely to have someone on the ice who is willing and able to fight at any given moment. Caps gave up a 2, a 6, and a 7, but I think that's OK, given how many good young prospects already in the organization there are.

Not sure why Jurcina is back. That's the puzzling part.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Seems like the Leafs still have something out there...at least that's what Burke is saying.

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

flyers did nothing...surprising

Posted by: _stevo | March 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, those are going to look great when he's old and fat.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | March 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he should be playing for the Wizards with that criminal record.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Caps gave up two 2nd round picks

Posted by: gebster | March 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think its nice to have Jurcina and his 6-4 230 pound frame back in front of our net.

Thinking back, I always considered him and Erskine as our most physical D men.

We'll see. Don't know what happens with Brendan Morrison and am curious as too who sits for Walker.

I was really hoping for Kaberle, but oh well. No major moves but definitely little ones that add up and make our team just a bit better.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | March 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Caps are done. Too many roster players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fehr/B. Gordon defensemen (maybe Jurcina) gone by game time.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Recouping the 2011 pick is easy.

Anyways, Alberts went for a 3rd rounder. I would've liked Alberts.a lot.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I see Walker as the 13th-14th forward who will play in some games depending on the opponent.

I'm not sure it would work but I like the idea of a line of Chimera/Belanger/Bradley

I'm not sure where that would put Stecks but that seems to me to be a fast, checking line that can cycle and play D.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't anticipate any of the new guys playing tonight.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Man, Corvo called Walker I hoped and caught a ride to the airport.

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Someone may have already pointed this out, but the Caps got Corvo for Pothier, Osala, and a 2nd-round pick. Sutton, Leopold, and Grebeshkov were had for just a 2nd-round pick. I think we really overpaid here, especially since Corvo is most likely a rental. Perhaps this is what happens when you wait until 2:59:59 pm to pull the trigger.

Posted by: coveredwithhisdust | March 3, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Toronto gets D-Chris Peluso from the Penguins for a 2010 6th Round draft pick.

Posted by: robostop10 | March 3, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@coveredwithhisdust

The 2nd Round pick is in 2011. Jurcina was diagnosed with a sports hernia today as many have stated. I think it was an unknown thing until last minute. I don't know if Columbus knew before the trade or not. Interesting to know if they did, but GMGM probably tried to grab a body to replace Juice in the lineup. A sports hernia could be a season ending injury. Anyone know if Juice could be back during the playoffs?

Posted by: robostop10 | March 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Corvo just needs "Remember Sammy Jenkis" on his wrist and he'll be all set.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | March 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why Jurcina is back. That's the puzzling part.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 3:39 PM

Have you heard of Hack-a-Shaq? Jurcinia will be part of Pound-a-Sidney.

Posted by: tfirey | March 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

how can you pound cindy when your left nut is the size of a pineapple?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 3, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Overall I think GMGM did alright. Though I would've taken a trade forone good ball breaking D-man, over all the trades together.

Posted by: fesslercw | March 3, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Corvo and Jurcina? I don't know about these ones. Corvo is really good for certain teams but I don't think he's at all what the Capitals need. You bring in Corvo if you are having offensive problems and need help on the powerplay. It's not that I don't think he's a good player, but Washington really needed a good shutdown defensive defenseman in my opinion, not a guy like Corvo. He will be an improvement so it's better than nothing, but I was expecting them to go for a very different type of player. And bringing Jurcina back? Really don't know about that one. Actually, I don't understand that one at all. Alzner, Carlson, Sloan should all be playing ahead of Jurcina so why bother throwing away a 7th round pick for a player you don't need?

Posted by: Stu_c | March 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm done second guessing McPhee. I was considering giving up on the Caps after the 03-04 fire sale but look where we ended up after that. Everyone stop whining. Trust GM GM, sit back and enjoy (hopefully) a ride deep into the playoffs.

Posted by: Digitalman08 | March 3, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Caps gave up two 2nd round picks, yes. I stand corrected.

Corvo's +0.61 behindthenet rating this year is 35th in the NHL so far this year amongst defensemen who have played in at least 30 games this year. http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/new_5_on_5.php?sort=7§ion=qualcomp&mingp=30&mintoi=&team=&pos=D

And my eyes tell me Corvo is probably a better player than Pothier at this point.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Eric Fehr is breathing a sigh of relief. We really didn't give a whole lot for these acquisitions. I'll give George a B grade.

Posted by: noreaster1 | March 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I have a lot of faith in GMGM. If all you told me about the moves today was that there were four of them, I'd be willing to bet that the Capitals got better overall.

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

And, as an article in one of the many posts today pointed out: "As Brian Costello pointed out last year only 15.7 percent of second-rounders, or one out of six, became long-term NHLers (600 games for a skater, 400 for a goalie) between 1980 and 1999."

I haven't conducted a study of first-rounders or third-rounders, but I bet if you did one, you'd find that first-rounders are much much more important than second-rounders, and second-rounders only marginally better than third-rounders.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Looking at TSN it looks like the Flames traded with themselves?!? I am thinking it is an error.

Posted by: NatyBG | March 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Philly was trying to pick up Corvo so not only did we upgrade we blocked another team from getting him..Corvo is good on offense and is above avg on D..He is an up grade! We are a better team.. Did we over pay, I don't think so..Bpot was gone after this year Osala was pretty much playing his way out of the Hersey...A 2nd round draft pick is pretty much all we gave up for Corvo..Not bad at all.. He may not be a shut down defender but he is good with puck and is a veteran... Jurcina is for depth. He is big, and in the playoff last year was a monster. He may be hurt but 6-4 guy in the playoffs will be needed.. We got him pretty much for nothing a conditional 6th round pick... I am overall happy with the trades today. We are a better team, and have some grit..Belanger I underrated, he can play on PK, and is a beast in Faceoff circle... Sometime adding role player like this are the best bet for a team...Go Caps!!

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

flyers did nothing...surprising

Posted by: _stevo

I'm not surprised. They traded away all their draft picks for Pronger and they're tight against the cap, not much they can do. This is a Caps board...going back to Caps related mode...And there is a lot of Caps related stuff to discuss.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 3, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Sloan should not be playing ahead of Jurcina. Seriously, what have you been smoking?

Posted by: KAS2 | March 3, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Digitalman08 | March 3, 2010 3:55 PM |

1 of the best out there - he is.
Lets just say some of us have our calling & the ppl who have hated him today or in the past are doing their middling real life jobs for a reason.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Offense looks like:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Morrison - Semin
Chimera - Belanger - Fleischmann
Fehr - Steckel - Bradley

Leaves out Walker - could see him in for Fleischmann/Fehr/Bradley...

or maybe:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Fleischmann - Semin
Chimera - Belanger - Walker
Fehr - Morrison - Bradley

With Steckel odd man out

Posted by: HenryRollins | March 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, when you put it that way, a 2nd rounder is not a guarnteed NHL caliber player. Osala wasn't called up this year at all. I'm not sure why they wouldnt have given him at least a short look unless they don't like him all that much. The Caps kept Carlson, Alzner, Neuvirth and Johansson all who are part of the future. They gave up a good prospect and two 2nd rounders, a 6th and a 7th for two Cup experienced players, the 7th rated face-off guy in the league and Jurcina, aka "Lurch". Good day. We are better.

Posted by: jmurray019 | March 3, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Saw an interesting old article about Corvo's attempt to turn his life around after that awful incident:
"Anger-management counseling sessions, ordered by the courts when Corvo pleaded guilty to assault charges in October 2003, began as a chore but turned into a life-changing experience for Corvo. The birth of the couple's first child, a son named Cameron, a year later, also made Corvo, now 28, happier and more mature."

He's certainly no choir boy, but he at least seems to have kept his nose clean since then.

Posted by: blackjack65 | March 3, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I dont care.. once you hit a woman and grab her like that you are showing your character. He's gonna have to work hard to make me think otherwise. Hugging his mother-in-law isnt gonna make me feel empathy for him... lots and lots of volunteer work speaks louder than words.. lots.. I've always been a supporter of the Caps b/c of their character, so I hope this is not mistake.

Posted by: kmr2r | March 4, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse