More on Ovechkin's Hart Trophy Nomination

(John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

Here's more from Tarik on the least surprising news of the day: Alex Ovechkin's Hart Trophy nomination.

While the Washington Capitals enjoyed a day away from the rink on Wednesday to savor their come-from-behind series victory over the New York Rangers, their best player was given another reason to celebrate.
Alex Ovechkin was nominated for the Hart Memorial Trophy, one year after winning the NHL's top individual honor for the first time. The other nominees are Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings. This is the first time in history that all three Hart finalists are Russians.
Although the votes have already been cast by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, yesterday's nomination will add another layer of intrigue to what is easily the most anticipated playoff matchup in years when Ovechkin's Capitals meet Malkin's Penguins in the Eastern Conference semifinals, starting Saturday at Verizon Center.

Check out the rest of the story here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 29, 2009; 4:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comcast's Coverage Schedule
Next: Morning Reading List: Welcome to the Circus

Comments

I hope Ovie gets it. I think he deserves it. But I'm thinkin' Malkin will get it,because of the "controversies" around OV's celebrations etc.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 29, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

How much does Cherry influence the vote? Of course, no nominees are Canadian so he's probably abstaining

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Cherry would probably end up screwing up their names anyway... "Why isn't Datstrum on the ballot???"

Posted by: mrszilla | April 29, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me but I think Ovi has an overwhelming edge on this debate. I'm not sure it's even that close to be honest but we'll find out in June I guess.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 29, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik/Lindsay, the second to last paragraph needs revision.

Posted by: oo7 | April 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I originally thought that Malkin would get it. Now, I'm not so sure. I read one of the Kings blogs and the reporter (who gets to vote, unlike Tarik who can't because of Post rules) said his choices were OV, Datsyuk and Crosby. Its just one guy, but interesting little tid bit.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

nice little preview from Burnside (although he picks the Pens in 7)

Just want to add that Flash needs to wake the F up if we're going to win this series. I'm not saying he will be the only reason but we're going to need scoring from the third and fourth lines to pull this one out.

So excited...only 67 hours to go

Posted by: Moose33 | April 29, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

What a boon to the media the Caps-Pens playoff games will be. Ovie vs. Crosby for the popularity vote, and Ovie vs. Malkin for the Hart trophy.

I hope all this press does not interfere with Ovie's concentration and playing ability.

Posted by: caraveli | April 29, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

The Sports Reporters talkin' Caps all day. Amazing. I think they've got Caps fever. I think everyone's got Caps fever!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking OV wins the Hart easily. Hockey writers love this guy because not only is he the greatest hockey player in the world but he is charismatic and genuine as well. He is the heart and soul of the Capital's franchise and when everything is said and done OV will have racked up Gretzky-like multiple MVPs.

Posted by: meagle | April 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Interesting prediction from sports writers. I looked them up randomly on the Internet and it just happened that both picked the Caps as winners. I totally agree with both the comment about Theo (unfortunately) and the one about Caps' adjusting to Rangers. This was my reason for feeling encouraged by game 7.

"If Theodore was in net, I would pick Pittsburgh—better yet, the Capitals wouldn't be in the semifinals. But Simeon Varlamov is a solid goaltender, and I believe that Washington plays better defensively with him in net. I know that the Penguins have Crosby/Malkin. Washington, however, is great offensively, and in the first round, Pittsburgh didn't show that they can keep the puck outside the net."

"...We think the Caps are looking like a team that made brilliant adjustments against the Rangers and as a result can make its own luck."

What do you people think?

Posted by: caraveli | April 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Malkin's terrific and, I think, far more deserving than Crosby. But Ovie has to have the edge, in my opinion.

There might have been a time when his defense might have been held against him, but the writers now can hardly help but remember his great defensive play on the Korpikoski breakaway.

Unless, of course, that happened after the vote. Does anyone know when the voting actually occurred?

Posted by: chrisd3 | April 29, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the past series:

So much for Maggie the Macaque (a.k.a. Monkey Prophet) picking the Rags to win the first round...LOL Stoopid Mungkei!

Thoughts on the coming series:

I too have a long memory of Playoff misery dealt to us by the evil Pens. I mark my 48th birthday (and 22nd as a hockey fan) this Saturday. IMHO, a sweep (starting with a resounding Caps win on that day) would be the best BD gift I could hope for.

My only regret is that my wallet could not match my passion this year...I am not a STH and so have no chance to see this in person.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 29, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovie should win the Hart because he is the most complete player in the entire NHL and he brings it every night. When he's being tripled teamed and is having a hard time scoring, he finds other ways to make a difference in every game, could be a hit, or a defensive play like the one in game 3. Also, Malkin isn't even half as physical as Ovie is. Have we ever seen Malkin lay someone out like Ovie does almost every night? One more thing, he is much more charismatic than Malkin. He has the perfect personality that everyone loves. The NHL needs more players like Ovie.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I find that strange. Why are they announcing the nominees now? I thought they voted a while ago.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40 -

Ticketmaster holds a number of tickets for release on game day. Last year, a neighbor of mine got online and picked up a couple the day of the game - upper level for around $60/ticket or something like that. It can be done. Do it!

Posted by: gonchpup | April 29, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

this guy did some number crunching and came up with Green as MVP. But what's REALLY interesting is his top 5 most valuable players:
Green
Datsuyk
Semin
Ovie
Backstrom

love it! http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2009/4/29/858952/nhl-announces-hart-trophy-finalists

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 29, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

rachel216: Probably not the answer you're looking for, but "that's just how it's done." :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 29, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Just to add to what everyone else is saying, another reason that OV is the clear MVP is because even when he doesn't score in a game (which is rare) when does he have an off game? When does he have a game where he doesn't kabong someone to fire up the team, or make an amazing move down the side that brings everyone, including the oppositions fans, to their feet? The truth is that OV NEVER has an off game! I don't think I have ever said to myself after watching a game, "wow OV really sucked tonight. He didn't do anything." Can you say that about any other player in the league? Or any other athlete in professional sports!? That might sound a little much but think about it

Posted by: apollak8 | April 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh, thanks, Greg?! =) It's like "here are the nominations, but we already voted." So strange.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 29, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

rachel216: - my guess is that they voted... the votes were tallied and the top 3 vote getters became the nominees. Just a guess. So, it took some time to count up all the votes. Plus, they want to be dramatic about it. It would be boring if they showed all the nominees at one time. They (news people) need something to talk about.

Posted by: _828 | April 29, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

It's like the Oscars - the nominees, or in this case, the finalists - are the top three vote getters. The noms for the Oscars are announced after the voting, I believe. Or think of it like the Heisman - those invited to NYC are the top vote getters. The winner is essentially known but not announced.

Posted by: saintex | April 29, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I just read Boswell's article. I dont like him using my handle to describe Crosby at all. That bs has to stop.

Posted by: oo7 | April 29, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

L feel just like I did at age nine, wearing out the Sears Wishbook, dreaming of Christmas morning. Caps v. Pens. It's happening. Caps in six. Just what I always wanted.

Posted by: kevbnyc | April 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

as w/ baseball, the voting for post season awards is done at the end of the regular season and therefore the playoffs dont factor in. a couple years ago the NHL decided to do an oscar like awards show so thats why they have three finalists in each category. not sure i'm a big fan of the way they do it. i saw a little of last years show and it was a bit cheesy. this year its in vegas, so expect supersize cheese.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 29, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

GO BACKSTROM in '10 for MVP!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 29, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom in '11, Semin in '10.

Posted by: fnralch | April 29, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

To the fans who were booing after period 2 of game seven.......shame on you. You are fair-weathered fans and a disgrace. The CAPS were completely out-played yet they hung on to a 1-1 tie.

After a period like that your team needed some positive support, so instead you think selfishly about YOURSELF and YOUR feelings and boo them.

Maybe there are times when a team deserves a booing, but this one was not one of them.

In retrospect, it appears the team won in spite of YOUR support. :)

Posted by: TrackCollector | April 29, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

@Chrisd3

Voting is based on the regular season so the playoffs have no impact on the winner of any of the trophies.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 30, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

With the exception of the Conn Smythe award of course as that is a post season award exclusively.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 30, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

You know I think one of the things that's most overlooked about OV is the fact that he doesn't miss any games. I think he's missed 2 whole games in 4yrs due to injury! I know he missed 2 earlier this yr but that was to go back to Russia as we all know. So to my point, how much of a MVP can you be if you're not there all the time? Now I don't know how many games Datsyuk and Malkin played this year but I'm talking in general terms. OV's missed 4 games in 4yrs, I bet NOBODY else in the league has missed fewer. I know the MVP is for this year only but OV still only missed 2 games this year.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 30, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah and whoever mentioned is before is spot on! I bet Don Cherry will lose 2 nights sleep thinking about why a Canadian wasn't in the running and 3 RUSSIANS are! Granted I get a lot of things that people dont having played, ref'd and coached the game but I will never get being as biased as him. Sure when I see somebody I coached or ref'd or played with or whatever get drafted I'm happy and wish the best for them but I would never come unglued because a fellow countryman didn't get nominated or whatever. Gee I guess we should be mad that no American is up for it.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 30, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I've often thought the same thing but don't jinx it by saying it out loud!!!

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 30, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Pokerface, that was my comment. He's just PO'd that OV, and now Malkin also, are both better than Cindy. He can't handle it, thus lashing out at OV for the celebrations. What else does he have to go on??

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 30, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

You know after watching the replay, we weren't nearly as bad in period 2 as we were in the 1st. We started to turn it around and to be honest, should have buried a few chances. I wasn't pleased with the booing, I would never do that to my own team, but I can understand the fans trying to push them to play better. Not the way to do it, but it was clear they needed to wake up. Watching the 3rd, it was like a repeat of all the crazy periods we would play the last 2 years when we would outshoot a team by a ridiculous margin and completely outplay them.

We need to bring that 3rd with us for 60 minutes of Game 1. We need a strong start on home ice.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 30, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

It was said here by many people time and again during the Ranger series, and proven to be true, that the first goal was critical. We won because the Rangers consistently fell apart when they fell behind (game 7 being the exception). The Pittsburgh series will be different. First goal within a game won't be as crucial, but winning the first game will be. We absolutely cannot fall behind the 8-ball the way we did against New York. A split at a minimum is mandatory going into Pitt for game 3, and we better come back for game 5 no worse off than 2-2

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 30, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse