From Russia, With Busted Glove

More on Simeon Varlamov from Slava Malamud of Sport-Express:

It's cute, of course, the whole "From Russia With Glove" thing, though it may have been done with Nabokov and Khabibulin already. A couple of days ago I tried to explain to Varly the subtle play on words and the James Bond reference. I was successful in making myself feel old, but not, I don't think, in getting Varlamov through all the layers of meaning. Just judging from the blank stare I got.

Anyway, apparently the glove's trip from Russia didn't leave it unscathed. After the game, Varlamov expressed his dissatisfaction with Mark Eaton's goal, saying that he had a full view of the puck, it was never deflected and it was purely his mistake.

"To be honest with you, after watching the replay...," he said. "It looks like my glove is so [busted up] by now..."

The square brackets there are masking an expletive, but Varlamov refused to elaborate further, only saying that he has had this glove for two months. Maybe it's time to get a new one. From Russia, naturally.

Here are some other things the Caps' newest superstar had to share:

On the save:

"To be honest, there was no other option left to me except to play it with the stick. I was totally out of position and, I guess, I got lucky there. If he were to put it anywhere else, it would've gone in... I thought [Kunitz] was going to shoot and I skated out a bit too far. All that was left for me to do was to put the stick on the line... Actually, I thought they would go watch the replay. I wasn't sure that the puck didn't cross the line first."

On being a 21-year-old goalie who didn't get rattled by the first goal:

"The first goal could rattle a 21-year-old goalie but the second one could kill a 21-year-old goale. But this is the playoffs, you just have to forget your mistakes and play on... You cannot allow yourself to be upset in games like that, even after you allow a softie [Varlamov here used the Russian term babochka, which literally translates as "a butterfly"]. There just isn't any time to get upset."

On the pressure of playing in the marquee series:

"The media, of course, have been hyping this up pretty good. The first day off I was watching TV and found out so much about this series... So in the next two days I tried not to watch anything and to tune everything out."

On whether Crosby is the best forward he has ever faced:

"I wouldn't want to offend the other guys I've played against, like Kovalchuk. But today, as I got out on the ice and saw Malkin and Crosby standing there... Of course, I was very pleased [to be there as well]. I was afraid of them more than of anyone else."

On whether Malkin was very noticeable:

"[Shaking his head] Not very. But I don't want to tease Zhenya!"

On what to expect in Game 2:

"I think the first period will be key. Pittsburgh will be putting up even more pressure and things will be even more difficult for us."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 2, 2009; 8:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on Varlamov: 'He Owed Us One'
Next: Side Note on Brashear

Comments

First?

Posted by: Chase4 | May 2, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

nobody cares if you're first, idiot.

Posted by: BoomerTSFX | May 2, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Point sailed over your head, idiot.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 2, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, Thank you for the articles from Slava Malamud, they are very interesting. I wonder if he could have a "guest byline" in the Post and provide some articles from a Russian perspective. He likely notices things that you or any American would not.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | May 2, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

chase - I agree with Boomer. you're an idiot

Posted by: Loggie1 | May 2, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

honestly if he wants the .com he's gonna have to shelf out a pretty ruble for it

Posted by: Sergeio24 | May 3, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get the whole "first" thing, especially when you have nothing else to say. Is that what your life is about, going to boards and trying to be first to post. That being said: seventh?

Posted by: wienerdog4410 | May 3, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I've got to agree with dezlboy1; and I'm not saying anything against your excellent coverage of the Capitals, Tarik, but Slava Malamud is clearly a very good reporter and solid writer. I'd love to read more of his stuff, maybe even in the dead-tree version of The Post.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 3, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I love Malamud's interviews - thank you so much for posting them and thank you Slava for your coverage!

I just hope no one tells Crosby and Malkin that Varly is afraid of them! heh

Posted by: CapsChick | May 3, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@BoomerTSFX & Loggie1: If you two didn't care who was first, you wouldn't be responding. Why don't you two get off your high horses with the wooden sticks on the seats and do something remotely productive than looking down your noses at people? Oh, that's right. You don't know anything else other than that.

Sorry, Chase4. It appears that turds aren't only from Pittsburgh. Some actually live in DC.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Haha, babochka! I forgot that's what we call a really bad goal in Russian. Russian's funny.

Posted by: ranndino | May 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to help these idiots that post "first" "second" "third" "wheee!!!" find something else to do instead of spamming up comment threads with bs like that. Do you really think I care if I wasn't first to respond to something?

Are you seriously defending people that have nothing to add to the discussion? You must be one of them...

Posted by: BoomerTSFX | May 4, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan: "I'm not here to start sh!t I want to talk hockey with knowledgable fans, not idiots on other sites"

Makes sense you defend the idiot commenters with their "first!" posts...

Posted by: BoomerTSFX | May 4, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse