Morning Links: Caps' Stars Slated to Play Tonight

The Caps' preseason home opener is tonight at 7 p.m., and the stars are suiting up against the Buffalo Sabres. The top line will be intact -- Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Knuble are expected to play -- and we should see Jose Theodore between the pipes.

Players you won't see on the ice tomorrow (or on the Caps' opening-night roster): Anton Gustafsson, Joe Finley, Braden Holtby, and a slew of others who fell victim to yesterday's cuts.

Just a handful of Caps-related links to get your morning going:

* Overtime is a "teachable moment" for Caps' prospects. (Ted's Take)

* Mark French, the new coach of the Hershey Bears, is "just going to be authentic." (The Patriot-News)

* Fantastic Vancouver Olympics hockey ad. (Alex Ovetjkin)

* Video: Chris Clark on being captain. (Caps 365)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 21, 2009; 5:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore Will Start Tomorrow vs. Sabres
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Caps vs. Sabres

Comments

im very interested in seeing the line of backie, ovie and knuble. hopefully they show some glimpse that it'll be a fantastic line. here's to bourque having a great game, and good luck theo, the sabres are powerful so be ready!

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 21, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

and just so people get it right. lindsay posted this post not tarik, so don;t refer to tarik in your comments lol

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 21, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Good news fellow Caps fans. The Capitals will win the Stanley Cup this year. How do I know that? I just found out that I will be off the continent during what will be the week of the Stanley Cup Finals. I am a season ticket holder and have seats for the entire ride. That's how I know. To insure I do not hex the Caps I WILL NOT cancel my business trip, I will take one for the team. I will have to settle for cheering for them on TV. At least I can weep for joy in the privacy of my hotel room. It will be a lot less embarrasing.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Thank you fanohock...we love you for that.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | September 21, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Umm... Err... well...crap. Is it TOO terribly cheezy to start begging for the rights to those finals seats right here and right now Fanohock1? Please? ( I am at odd as to how to present a suitable beggin position in text)

Posted by: jdhoover | September 21, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Nice ad for the Olympics. Note that even after cindy scores an admittedly sweet goal he's whining directly to the ref about something. Loser!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | September 21, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Game on TV tonight?

Posted by: adamkatzen | September 21, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sad that instead of showing the Caps game tonight CSN instead chooses to show the World Poker Tour. Yay! You would at least think they would broadcast the home games....

I don't think Buffalo is broadcasting the game either since MSG is covering the Rags game... anyone confirm?

Posted by: capsnumber1 | September 21, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, no TV coverage. The most reliable TV information I have found thus far is on NHL.com. If you go to the schedule area and select the entire month, it will show all the games and if they are going to be broadcast in video. The Leafs and Flames are a couple of teams that are broadcasting their games on their website. At least everyone gets to see 2 of the last 4 games on TV, MSG has Thursday's and Sunday's games on. Of course if you want to check the Caps out you can come on down to Verizon 3 times during the next week. From what these guys at the Post say, just about all the BIG BOYS will be dressed tonight.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

cant wait 2 feel the atmosphere in vz 2nite! gonna be a blast to here the horn guy and goat 74...LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bigBinMd | September 21, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@jdhoover, I would presume that a suitable begging position would include a $ sign and large numbers, for the finals.

Caps on TV? What a novel suggestion! Considering that there as been virtually no coverage of Caps training camp, do you actually wonder why the game is missing from the schedule? I mean they send people to FL to cover the Nats training camp and the only records they are setting is records for futility. Please I'll be happy if they even notice when we win the Cup. They have ignored our champion soccer team. I don't care about soccer, but they deserve better. There is hope, the Skins are about to collapse and spiral into oblivion and there will be little else to talk about other than how many games the Buzzards are losing in the NBA.

Posted by: majiksea | September 21, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@jdhoover: In all fairness to family and friends, I'll have to hook them up first. Both of my sons will be at the games (they'll be 20 and 17) but that leaves two other seats.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@jdhoover: My tickets to the finals are available at the right price! Think in terms of my wife and I watching the games next year from a luxury box!

Posted by: majiksea | September 21, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Too Bad big $$$ signs don't fit in my tiny wallet! Otherwise I'd have more than my current partial plan. But in all seriousness, I was just pandering to humour. Well... maybe not. But you get the point!

Posted by: jdhoover | September 21, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Just check ticketexchange. There sure are a lot of fans passing on tonight's games. If you want tickets you can definitely find them there. The gate price has gone up this year which is by the bottom price to get in is $40.25. Might be the only chance to get in for less than $50 a ticket all season, especially if the Caps have the season many expect.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 21, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse