Morning Reading List: Tweets Create Confusion

Good morning, and happy Day 4 of Caps training camp. Be sure to keep checking back today for updates on all the goings-on at KCI.

In the meantime, here's a fun (for some) story on the number of Twitter accounts impersonating Caps players:

The Twitter page belonging to user @jeffschultz55 has a picture of Washington Capitals defenseman Jeff Schultz checking a Carolina Hurricanes player into the boards. Several hundred people follow the account, and there have been five updates since training camp opened Sunday.
"Pasta for breakfast? Oh yeah. Gotta carboload for practice today. Must teach that Carlson kid this is MY blueline," one of the tweets reads. Another says: "Have spent the past few days packing up back home and saying goodbye to all my ladies. Schultzy got game."
The tweets are candid and funny, but not actually from the Capitals defenseman, who says he's never logged on to the increasingly popular social networking site. @jeffschultz55 is a parody account, and it says as much in fine print on the upper right-hand side of the page under "Bio."
Still, as more people turn to Twitter to keep in touch with friends and follow their favorite celebrities, impostor accounts are becoming a concern for image-conscious athletes and causing confusion for others.

Check out the full story here. (Tarik's Twitter account, in case you were wondering, is authentic, as is his profile picture.)

A few additional Caps-related links:

* Eric Fehr looks forward to playing with -- and learning from -- new Cap Mike Knuble. From the Caps' Mike Vogel:

When the Caps signed the 37-year-old Knuble as a free agent over the summer, it took away a top six right wing spot, on that Fehr would have loved competing for. But it also brings into the locker room a player who knows what Fehr is going through, and someone that Fehr can use as a mentor and a sounding board.
"I've said hello and gotten acquainted with him," says Fehr of Knuble. "And slowly throughout the year, I'll probably get a little bit closer with him as I start to learn the position a little bit better.

* Japers' Rink takes a stab at the potential opening-night roster.

* On Frozen Blog has a shot of Ovie's sweet hat (which, if you recall, was a gift from teammate Nicklas Backstrom).

* Have you heard that the Caps' goalie situation is a hot topic? No? Taking the longest of long shots is The Hockey News' Rory Boylen, who thinks Michal Neuvirth is in the chase:

One of the more interesting training camp goalie battles will have a long-term effect on Alex Ovechkin's team. Jose Theodore is the 33-year-old veteran with a $4.5 million cap hit for one more season; Semyon Varlamov is the rookie sensation and playoff savior from a season ago who has Caps fans confident in a Cup run; and Neuvirth is a fresh-faced 21-year-old kid who won AHL playoff MVP honors last season.
It should make for some interesting theatre and even though Neuvirth's a long shot to make, he has a chance.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 16, 2009; 5:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes From Day 3
Next: 'Team A' Takes the Cup

Comments

Glad to hear that Neuvirth is in the hunt. Here's to hoping that GMGM can package Nyls and Jose in a trade for a used puck bag and cap relief. (Yes, I know about the NMC but a guy can dream a little before getting back to work.)

I am pulling for Alzner. I think he has a bright future and (not to hate) think he will be better than Sgt Schultz.

Posted by: crooks_c | September 16, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

folks should know that schults account is fake because it shows him checking someone...bada bing...i kid because i love..

but seriously, how long before these fake accounts are used as a bit of subterfuge. ie. someone in the caps office sets up a fake account for semin or backs talking about how they are hurt or letting something slip about the game plan with the idea that the other teams might think its real. would work great in football...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 16, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I read the Japers odds for making opening night line-up and I think they have Aucoin too low. Aucoin played well on the PP last year, led the AHL in scoring, and has an NHL contract for a paltry $500K. I can't see him passing through waivers. Bourque doesn't require waivers. Giroux I think doesn't need waivers to go down. Laing I feel is too one-dimensional; of course, what he does, he does very well (kinda like Brash was in the past). My coin is on Aucoin.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 16, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can anyone post who is on the various scrimmage teams or did I miss that.

How has Nylander done on his team?

Posted by: hockeymom03 | September 16, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | September 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1, IIRC the low odds of Aucoin on Japer's was because he's a center on a team with Backstrom, BMo, Steckel, Gordon, Nyls and even Laich.

Posted by: koalatek | September 16, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

We sure are lousy with centers and defensemen. I would say something about trading some of them, but I'm sure a third of them will get injured in the first month of the season like always.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

another brilliant and thought-provoking post by thiazzi.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Well the parody Brooks Laich twitter page is no more. Apparently people have no sense of humor around these parts.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | September 16, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Lousy as in "we have a lot of them," not as in "they all suck." Excuse my 1940's slang.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

koalatek: Well, good point. BUT, if they try and send him down (Aucoin), either he gets claimed (likely) or somehow gets unclaimed and goes to Hershey, where they'd have to pay him $500K. Then, if you need him, you have to do the recall waivers, and if he gets claimed then (very likely), Caps still have to pay half the salary AND it might even go against the cap. If I recall, Aucoin had a lousy faceoff %. No reason he can't be 4th line RW with a little PP time thrown in. Also, because he's older, once the injured return, he can watch from upstairs for a few games w/o complaining. Aucoin and Sloan are my two most likely as 22nd and 23rd roster players to make the team. We'll see.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I asked Caps Report about Aucoin and they said that other teams might be discouraged from picking him up on waivers because of the NHL money he's due, even in the minors. It kinda makes sense if you really noodle it.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Crocks, neat idea, but for some reason, the "Our extra part and locker room headache for your young stud" trade doesn't seem to happen very often.

The Twitter thing was interesting. Most of the players were kind of amused/didn't care, unless as Brooks and Alzer note, someone goes over the line.

I read the occasional Twitter of some PGA guys. Some are good, some suck. In terms of players I watch for, yes, I'm more inclined to watch for players who Twitter, since sometimes they might comment on specific shots they had later.

But, I can't imagine that anyone would want to waste their free time posting fake postings as Tiger Woods or any other celebrity.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

ANYONE? Tarik?

What is the schedule for tomorrow...are they skating here before heading to Buffalo?

The schedule shows morning skate and two practices before the game in Buffalo....does anyone know what the deal is or if they are all up there?

Posted by: whsqb10 | September 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I guess it depends on how other teams view Aucoin. If he's viewed as an easily replaceable 4th liner, a team would need to be really be thin to claim him as opposed to bringing up their own prospects.

Posted by: koalatek | September 16, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@koalatek

Right, exactly. My other thought was "maybe a crappy team that needs a top-6 forward will claim him." But crappy teams that need top-6 forwards generally have strict owner-imposed budgets, so again the money would discourage them.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Aucoin and Laing are border line NHL players. They both have a purpose in the organization......its called depth, in case of injuries. If they have to clear waivers and be exposed so be it. Matter of fact every NHL team has had a shot at getting either one of them the last three years and nobody wanted them. Don't get me wrong I like the energy they both bring to the rink.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Can't see a 500K salary detracting a crappy team from picking someone up if they view them as a top six forward. No matter how strict the budget is 500K is a bargain for a top six forward.

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Are we sure that his number is 500k?

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Egon: I disagree. If people were posting any likeness of yourself and posting ramblings that encroaches on your personal life, I highly doubt you'd be touting for more witty comments about you and your loved ones.

Try respecting the privacy of our players. Twitter is a sad site for people trying to feel important. Try getting a life, people. You'll annoy less people. a$$hats.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | September 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are going to keep Theodore. Even if Varlamov wins the job, he isn't going to play 82 games. And if he gets injured do you want a rookie with no NHL starts in Neuvirth going the distance during the regular season and playoffs?

Nylander won't be traded because no one wants him. The Caps would love to be rid of his contract and he clearly doesn't fit into Bruce's system. But he stubbornly refuses to allow for any other possibility other than sitting on the Caps bench and collecting his paycheck. So, you keep him around because of his contract, just as the Redskins had to do with Jon Jansen last year.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I am going totally on memory with this, but when we picked up Kronwall off waivers last season I thought the deal was the gaining team only had to pay 1/2 the salary due, and the team that loses that player pays the other half. Am I completely off on that? If that is correct, Aucoin would be a steal @ $250K.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay.....thanks for restarting the morning reading list.

Posted by: RichC3 | September 16, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I think I found my answer. If Aucoin was to be picked up off waivers on the way DOWN the gaining team gets him and his entire salary. If he's picked of re-entry waivers on the way back UP, the gaining team only has to pay 1/2 his salary due and the Caps would lose him and have $250K or whatever 1/2 his salary is count against our salary cap.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 16, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

thiazzi, just checked....Aucoin will make 487,500.00 for the 09-10 season.

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

fanohock, that would be a great way for a rival team to mess up our cap since we will be so close anyway. Take a player from us and make us pay toward the cap plus have to bring another player up to cover the loss.....could be an ugly situation.

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: Yes, you got it, exactly why I don't think they will send Aucoin to Hershey. He makes rock bottom cap figure of $487.5K this year:

You send him to Hershey, either he gets claimed going down, since someone can certainly use his skill at his price, or do resign yourself to not recalling him until after the trade deadline (like with Laing last year). Any team for sure would take him for half cost, and they'd we be on the hook for the other half cap hit. Basically you can't bring him up then until after March 4th, since at that point no other team but us can use him in the playoffs. Bourque has one year left for no waivers, and that could be a deciding point. Unless Bourque is THAT MUCH better than Aucoin, and he wasn't last year. I say: give Aucoin Kozlov's minutes from last year (15/game), and he'll give you Kozlov's points (about 40) - at 20% of the cost.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 16, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Tominfl1--Of course you would go locally. I wasn't thinking. Sorry to have misread your post this morning.

I'm not a twitter person, but what does everyone think about this morning's article. Seems like a awful invasion of privacy. My obsession manifests itself in checking online to read about the Caps, which I raised to a new level by actually commenting here. But fake twitters faking intimate knowledge about a player--weird. A little too obsessive for me. Kinda stalker-ish!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 16, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

newbie: I don't have a cell phone, have never sent a text message, Lord knows I'd never "tweet," don't have a homepage, a tweet page, a website nor a Blackberry or one of those phone things sticking out of my ear.

To invade my privacy, you have to come on my property - and there are laws to prevent that.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 16, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Both Varlamov and Neuvirth have shown they have potential to be future Veznia candidates. Neither of them seem to be a head case like Jim Carrey was (I bet Boston is still kicking themselves over that one). A team very rarely can keep two goalies like that on the roster. If they both blossom it is likely one of them will get dealt for a bunch of draft picks at some point. Goalies are hot commidity in this league. By position it has the highest average salary in the NHL.

Posted by: akmzrazor | September 16, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@akmzrazoe

I would actually think if one of our young goalies is traded, it would be for another young prospect that can step in and play for the club at a low price until a new contract is needed.

Maybe a 3rd line winger that has great potential...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

No team views Aucoin as a possible two-six forward. That's a huge stretch.

I also have no idea where/how Neuvy has shown us anything NEAR Vezina potential. That is an even bigger stretch.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1--I have one of those new-fangled iphones but that's it. The best part about it is not those pesky phone calls--it's on vibrate so I can ignore those--but to check online for news about the Caps. Facepage is another "innovation?" that confuses me. Likewise twitter. Posting online here is my simple version of virtual reality and it's all I can handle.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need to avoid going conservative and standing pat on defense and start to bring up the emerging players on the blueline for the future.

Jeff Schultz and Milan Jurcina are two players this team could trade before the season starts based upon their age and current contracts.

I would go with Alzner and Carlson at this level in 2009-2010.

Bruce probably is considering Carlson for 2010 and only prepared to add Alzner in 2009, but based upon what I saw in the playoffs I would accelerate that schedule.

Schultz was undressed against the Rangers and Jurcina was up and down. It is still a challenge for Milan to get the puck out of the defensive zone at critical moments.

The trouble with the Caps is they have a bevy of NHL caliber defensemen, but most are second-tier performers, ie they would fit into the #4-#7 slots on other clubs.

If the current unit is kept intact the hope for the playoffs is that Poti and Pothier stay health and Brian recaptures his form from 2-3 years ago.

Schultz, Morrisonn and Jurcina are guys you just can't count on to be consistent game to game and these guys provided enough body of work to the team to show this is not likely to change.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM

not so about Laing. Laing is a legitimate NHL player in the sense there are several of other NHL players who have his skill set or less (Columbus just signed Derek Dorsett to a 2 yr deal and he plays the same style). Mike Brown from Anaheim. Jeremy Reich now with the Islanders. Brad Winchester with the Blues. Half the Maple Leafs. The Hawks 4th line. Etc Etc. This idea that Laing is a fringe NHLer stems from 1 thing:

1) Opportunity

The Caps have depth at forward AND at the checking line role so Laing is a fringe Capital. Other teams have similar types of players so if we cut him he may or may not move onto team's roster in a checking capacity.

But if you compare his skill set, he has the size, strength and forechecking ability that most teams can use.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ShaMo and Juice were easily two of our more consistent defenders last year in the playoffs.

For whatever it's worth. Unfortunately, one of them will be out come the 1st. All of our defenders are "second-tier", except Green. Poti, sorry...Pothier sorry...not even in their peak years, should either be a 1st pairing guy.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The lack of updates on this blog the last couple days has been very disheartening. Glad I took tomorrow and Friday off to go and see the action for myself, won't have to wait for updates!!

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | September 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Morrisonn's played 370 pro games, Jurcina's played 296 and Schultz has played 177.

Posted by: Section117 | September 16, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I come home, turn on the tube and Youngblood is on.

Nice! Long live Swayze!

Posted by: richmondphil | September 16, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed rich, I wouldn't mind seeing Poti get moved except for the fact he is really the only "experienced" d-man out there. Don't think there would be any takers for Pothier, jury still out on the concussion issue......I too think it will be ShaMo or Juice....personally hoping for ShaMo, I liked the toughness Juice showed toward the end of last season....

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I still have that movie on VCR tape!!! I pop it in about once a year just for oldtimes sake.....

Posted by: PhilR | September 16, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina = Size

He will get better with the body...We need to keep him..Defense is a tough position, and it takes experience..

He has a great shot too when he uses it...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 16, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It's no secret that I like Mo maybe more than most people here. I also like what Juice brought in the playoffs.

I am with you, if one d man could be moved, at least to me, it would be Poti. But, we both know he isn't going anywhere. (at least for now)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

If anyone actually wants updates from the scrimmage today Corey from the Times is twittering frequently from the game (cmasisak22). Tarik and Lindsay must be eating lunch....

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | September 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but it doesnt help that alot of us can use twitter at work. Update on the blog screw Twitter.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 16, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Last posting is in error.

Yeah but it doesnt help that alot of us CANT use twitter at work. Update on the blog screw Twitter.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Well I just submitted a copy of of Corey's comments for you, but I got a message saying that its being help for approval by the blog owner.....sorry

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | September 16, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Went to the scrimmage today at lunch. Varlamov and Jose both looked really poor, as did the defense. Tons of goals scored from all over the ice. Scrimmage just ended with a final score of 9-5.

From Corey's twitter: Before anyone asks, Michal Neuvirth is watching this and is not smiling. Outwardly anyway.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 16, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM

1) Opportunity

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 16, 2009 1:29 PM |

I don't know if you are on your meds, or off. But whichever it is, please continue. This is an insightful post without the perceived superiority and I for one appreciate it.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | September 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse