Morning Reading List

Here's some of today's notable reads as you (like me) try to blink off the effects of watching last night's game in Phoenix. First to kick us off, Tarik's game story for the paper.

The Arizona Republic's take: Tellqvist, Coyotes top Capitals

Around the Southeast:
*Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes fall to Penguins' late rally.

*The Tampa Tribune: New Bolts faces to appear Saturday.

*I stumbled across the odd factoid that the Caps are the tallest team in the NHL with an average height of 6 foot 2 and 1/2 in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this morning. Here's their full list of slightly random stats and figures.

Around the NHL: Starting with a look at yesterday's GM meetings.
*From ESPN's Pierre LeBrun: What went down at the GM meetings and in the second part of this entry a look at what the global economic crisis could mean to the NHL.

*The Capitals shouldn't be in the John Tavares sweepstakes but here's an opportunity to learn a little more about the NHL's next young star.

By Katie Carrera  |  October 24, 2008; 10:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Collapse Late, lose 2-1 in Phoenix.
Next: Afternoon Update From Dallas

Comments

Thanks Katie!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Everyone calm down.

McPhee is paying Erskine in Icelandic Kronur's. 1.25 mil would actually be a little over 10k a year.

Erskine signed without reading the contract.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 24, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

and the Kronur ain't valued at what it used to be...

Posted by: NJNJ | October 24, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

We'll be fine as long as the other SE teams keep losing and we manage to beat them more often than not.

Posted by: _jordan | October 24, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan

I used to live in Alabama, and have in-laws that live there and in Mississippi.

Only the Brits would be dumb enough to try to pull that off. I'm really surprised that the three are still alive. I really am.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: that's the best news I've seen all morning! If only it were true....
Not that great at math, but how much does that work out to be per penalty minute? That must be how they are paying him.

Posted by: 1hockeymom | October 24, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I thought that the Africa excursion was epic. The race to Oslo was good, too. There are a lot of classic Top Gear shows, and I'm really glad to have found it.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

No chat again this week?

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Greg S,
The slogan's were just genius. "Nascar sucks" "Country & Western is rubbish". I still laugh now thinking about it.

I agree that a big name should be sat. I'd leave Nicky out for a game as well as call up Chris Bourque and sit Clarkie.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 24, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@DaveUK

Calling up Bourque would be devastating to our current status as "tallest team in the NHL."

Posted by: SA-Town | October 24, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

from the GM meetings:

"The third, and perhaps more interesting of all, is an idea from Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey. He proposes that players in the defensive zone have to have at least one skate on the ice when blocking shots. So, instead of having players collapse all over the ice an sliding all over the place, Gainey believes this would allow for more pucks to get through from the point and, hence, create more scoring chances."

Apparently, Bob Gainey has nightmares of Quintin Laing.

Posted by: rw-c | October 24, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Greg S,
Yeah the races are the best. There was a race across Japan recently. Clarkson in some new Nissan versus Hammond and May on the Bullet train.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 24, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, any word on Kozlov and Poti coming back for the game Saturday? Our top line is struggel-ing with clark up there.

Posted by: _stevo | October 24, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The loss last night wouldn't be so bad if they had a chance to rectify it tonight, instead of tomorrow night.

Now I have to sit and anguish over the Caps for another 29 (?) hours.

Yes, I anguish over the Caps even in my sleep.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Hamster's was something about being gay, too. Definately NOT what you want to pain on the side of your minivan in the deep south.

I don't know if you're familiar with southern Alabama, but it's not very wide. you can get from Pascagoula, MS to Pensacola, FL in under 2 hours. They didn't even make it half way before they had to wash the paint off and call the episode done.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town,
Can't we spring for a pair of cuban heels for Bourque or is there no cap room for shoes?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 24, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

i think Bouds needs to re-engineer the top line. they have nothing going on.

Posted by: doughless | October 24, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner,

Sleep??? whats that??? oh yeah, it's what I should have been doing last night instead of watching that train wreck. Where is gogogreenie.....break out night.....grrrrrrrr....struggling to stay awake!!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 24, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@Katie, I like the "tallest team" stat. Can you find out which team has the longest average last name, or the biggest average shoe size? Researching all that might give us enough to do so we don't have to suffer through watching the Dallas game which I am suddenly beginning to dread.......

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 24, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, from last post:

We're all so damn pessimistic and we should be. When we start to get a hope for the future, a glimpse of what could be an end to all our woes, reality sets in. It's the Washington Capitals, lackluster play and disappointment is par for the course...

Turn it around soon or lose momentum in the standings and in the fickle DC marketplace.

Posted by: cupcrzy | October 24, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@Rw-C,

The no sliding rule is pretty weak. Did he slip reaching for ir or did he slide? Does being on one knee with the other leg dragging the blade on the ice count? This is weak stuff. If guys are crazy enough to dive in front of 100MPH slapshots, and we pay to watch them, it should be encouraged. Besides, the most awful thing I've ever seen with an attempted blocked shot was when Pronger got knocked out, and I think he was standing.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 24, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure we all know what Thoreson would think of the no-sliding rule...

Posted by: Fro_ | October 24, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Oldtimehockey,

Pronger wasn't just knocked out, that shot to the chest caused him to have a heart attack. That was really disturbing to see.

Anyone know when the Friday chats will start again? I need the scoop we only get from the chats!!!

Posted by: fashi13 | October 24, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

are you having a chat at 2?if so please give us some insight into whats going wrong with the caps? as well as the reason for the horrible erskine signing?

Posted by: Jgray85 | October 24, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Caps fans visit the Caps newest blot at: http://capsstop.blogspot.com

Help the site grow!

Posted by: bagasome | October 24, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Caps fans visit the Caps newest blog at: http://capsstop.blogspot.com

Help the site grow!
sorry for the typo before

Posted by: bagasome | October 24, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If we're going to play this crappy, could it at least be in the Eastern time zone? It's adding insult to injury to be subjected to hockey this bad and sleep deprivation at the same time.

I just feel bad for #60. He stepped it up and most everybody else shifted to neutral.

I need more coffee.

Posted by: Steve_R | October 24, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey -
Re no sliding: I don't agree with that proposal, just reported it.

Personally, I never slid to block a shot, but blocked several shots from the point with my shin pads, sometimes leading to a breakaway.

Posted by: rw-c | October 24, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, that game was not particularly worth watching last night really. I'm glad I didn't try to leave my Chinese class early to not miss any of it. The Caps were downright flat and undisciplined in their own end.

The third period was downright ugly, and even when we were "pressing" it was hardly the pressure we're used to as Caps fans. I was actually angry at the effort shown last night, but I've calmed. Hopefully a team meeting will wake the guys up.

Ovie is pressing, if he wasn't, that golden chance he had in front would have been a goal.

It's only what, 7 games in? I'm not in panic mode at all, but to say the boys need to wake up is not a stretch. 75 games to go, but each is worth 2 more points towards the playoffs.

And if this name doesn't make it apparent, I am the commenter formerly known as CapsCorndog.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | October 24, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I remember the Pronger thing. What I recall is that it hit him in the chest, his heart "fluttered" and given that he was in a heightened activity state, he collapsed. One of the worst things I've seen in hockey that didn't involve blood.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 24, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

anyone remember when jeremy roenick got his face broken with the slapshot, or clark's missing ear last year. Those were pretty bad.

Posted by: _stevo | October 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Much as I hate to say this, the long version of the Flyer's Coburn ad for NHL is great. Cut artery, 4 teeth knocked out, slapshot to the eye needing 77 stitches. But if you really want to stop me from playing, it's going to have to be something pretty serious.

Classic!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm losing faith in this team.

Sloan's stupid play last night was so quintessential of the minor league style - where he belongs.

When will Poti, Kozlov and Erskine ready?

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | October 24, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

No need to lose faith yet DannyBoy. It's still early. There's a lot of hockey to be played. I'd cut Sloan some slack, it's his 2nd NHL game. It does take some time to get acclimated to the speed, especially for D. I though Feds getting burned a couple times and taking bad penalties was worse, he should know better. I think these guys will get it together, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | October 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It is WAY too early to be counting on getting high first round draft picks. We'll be near the bottom by the time it's all said and done.

Be patient.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

i hate being patient

Posted by: _stevo | October 24, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Things to change for tomorrow's game:

* enough with Ovie on PK.
* mentality: if we score first, we need to play with fury, determination. We need to roar *voice of al Pacino* and claim every inch of the ice, every seconds of the game.

Things NOT to change:

* Leave JT between the pipes.

Posted by: mauree | October 24, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

on espn's power rankings we dropped to 13th, on a better note the flyers are............DEAD LAST

Posted by: _stevo | October 24, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That didn't come out right... When I said near the bottom I didn't mean of the rankings. I meant of the draft order.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I was hoping that's what you meant! :)

Posted by: tess2201 | October 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is so stinking biased.....even if the Rangers would lose ten in a row I bet they would still stay in the top five.....and my work has blocked TSN-Canada....guess I was spending a bit too much time on that site!!

Posted by: PhilR | October 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

English is only my first language.

Unfortunately, I don't speak any others. My confusion is purely of my own doings. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I saw the broken puck last night, I knew the game was over. It was a bad omen.

One of the games last night had a check where the guy shattered the glass and they had to send 2 spectators to the hospital for cuts.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | October 24, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The Boston game. That was pretty bad. I haven't seen glass break over people like that before. The player didn't look to be in too good of shape, either.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

best headline ever:

Swedish hockey fans delay match with dildo downpour

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | October 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

right on mauree. OV is tryin to do everything. wonder if he is sharpening everyones skates, too?? Bouds needs to ramp it back. no more PK for OV at least until he is dialed back into his game.

Posted by: doughless | October 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

BB is being ruined by the GM, team will ALWAYS fail at winning a Stanley Cup with this GM. It's plain & simple.

Clark stands out as the biggest waste of ice time so far, meanwhile enjoy the regular season with a highly skilled team that will never contend for Stanley.

Posted by: Cheef | October 24, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible Ovie's girlfriend is back in town again? :)

Posted by: WVPhil | October 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Well ... glad I didn't stay up for that!! :-) Jose looked great - hope the rest of the team turns the corner with him. Any predictions about the Dallas game?

Posted by: Boo- | October 24, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll give a prediction. It's conditional, though.

IF:

the Caps team that shows up is the one last night, they lose 5-1

Else,

the Caps win in a close one, maybe 3-2.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 24, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think we squeak by Dallas and then come home to blow out the Preds real bad.

Posted by: _jordan | October 24, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Jordan:
I hope you're right!

Posted by: Boo- | October 24, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick to death of hearing "I don't think we look that bad on the blue line."

Organization guys, other fans. Folks keep saying this. What's going on?

Posted by: large23220 | October 24, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I know the guys aren't really the kind to throw iPods and tell, but still can't help but be curious if there is any word about the team meeting.

Posted by: Kim-3 | October 24, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

no update today? I would be interested to here how today's practice went given the past two performances and if there were any "meetings"

Posted by: O-V-P | October 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I can only see the games via TV, so my critique is from a ver y narrow point of view.

I believe OV is spending too much of his energy concentrating on the big hits, because of it he misses opportunities to be in a better position to attack. That is not to say he is not playing well, he is just not scoring.

I think OV should not play the point in the power play, I see him struggling for control and many times the puck crosses the blue line giving the opponents opportunities to attack or at the very least losing precious time in the PP.

I think Green needs to quit the cute game of fake shots, it is old and no one is buying it.

I think we need people who can do one-timers from the point.

I think Bruce is jumping the gun too early and mixing the lines is probably the worse thing you can do early in the season, these guys need to learn to play together as a unit.

I believe we should not start calling for people's heads because of a few bad games, we should keep in mind that the other team is just as professional as the Caps and they are not a bunch of saps. What some people consider bad play from a Cap's player, maybe just simply be a better play by the opposition.

AND, I just did a preview of this message and I noticed that it is going to post it as anonymous30 which I am not, I guess we use the same public pc. It should be posted by X, which is how I am signed at the WP site. For those few who are using public computers, make sure you clean your tracks before leaving it.

Posted by: anonymous30 | October 24, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse