Morning Reading List: Green's Night

(John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

It was Mike Green's night as he scored two goals to not only set the Capitals record for power-play goals by a defenseman in a season with 18, but to become the first NHL blueliner to record 30 or more goals in a season since 1992-93.

Check out the Washington Times recap along with the Islanders' perspective from Newsday.

Here are the highlights from last night's win over the Islanders.

In the latest of his feel-good Caps stories, Dan Steinberg introduces you to Walter Scott Lovell, a new hockey fan who is homeless.

The Hockey News lists their Top 10 Russian players.

Thanks to Kukla's Korner for this one...For those who can't get enough of April Fools' Day, check out some notable hockey pranks over at the New York Times' Slap Shot.

In the System
Michal Neuvirth exited Hershey's 3-2 loss to Norfolk with a lower-body injury after the first period.

If you missed it yesterday, the Capitals signed draft pick Stefan Della Rovere.

Braden Holtby saw his season come to an end as Saskatoon fell 4-3 to Lethbridge in Game 7 of the WHL quarterfinals.

Frozen Four
USCHO breaks down who could be the three Hobey Baker finalists. You can also check out INCH's Hobey tracker here.

Over at the D.C. Sports Bog, you can learn some Miami history as Dan Steinberg breaks down the name change that turned Redskins into RedHawks.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 2, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green Gets to 30 Goals
Next: Holtby To Hershey? (Updated)

Comments

Awesome game last night! Outside of Verizon Center after the game, some cars were going "honk, honk, honk!" (as in let's go Caps!) It was pretty awesome! And congrats to Greenie for 30 goals!! :) Go CAPS!!

The Devils are falling apart and I LOVE IT!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to #52 for the 30 goals. Awesome feat and well-deserved.
But...
His non-chalance with the puck is maddening! I counted at least 6 times last night where his lethargic efforts either retrieving the puck or passing resulted in a turnover.
and...
He was standing in quicksand after the blue line turnover and Richard park skated right by to net a goal.
I love Mike, but effort is not reserved for one portion of the ice.
GO CAPS and finish Buffalo's season tomorrow!

Posted by: Shipdriver | April 2, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Greenie!

Posted by: NatyBG | April 2, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Who was wearing #28 last night? Did aliens kidnap Semin? That was an all time worst game for him.

Posted by: majiksea | April 2, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

#1 star of the game and #2 star of the night for Green.

By the way Semin had missed a couple of chances, but he has one point (assist) and what I liked about him was his solid defensive play when he covered for a defensman 2-3 times. Usually Semin is weak in D-line, but last night he was strong there.

Posted by: Hazz | April 2, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Nobody is perfect. Every professional player in every sport has some area that could be better, no matter who they are.

Green had a good chance, not a favorite, but a good honest chance to be the Norris Trophy winner.

His weakness is his somewhat hard-to-understand occasional brain fart puck handling.

He will casually hand the puck right to the other team in the worst possible place or hold the puck behind his net and try to walk around a top NHL forward as if he is playing against some AHL duffer.

This doesn't happen often and he is only 23 (average age of peak for NHL defenseman is about 26 I think) and he can overcome this with focus and effort.

You can bet every dollar you own that whatever team we face in the first round will have game-planned to exploit this weakness and put guys on Green to takeaway the puck or intercept his pass.

Sure, he will score, but if he costs you a score in exchange, then meetings have to take place and words must be said.

Anyway, we are way lucky to have Green, he is going to be the top defensemen in the NHL someday. I just hope his head insn't too big for his helmet THIS season.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry about 28. One game in the last week and a bout with the 'flu' explains a few cobwebs, at least to me.
Backstrom is a stealth marvel: his takeways are as slick as his passing!
The sound was a MESS last night, as though a meth-head with a subwoofer fetish got the controls. My first game-long disappointment with Operations at the booth.
The record suggests that Alexander Semin could beat the tar out of Jeff Schultz.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 2, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Since Green has said more than once that he and his family had no idea that he would ever be this good or this famous, maybe he is just a teeny bit shell-shocked in the back of his mind and he needs some time to work thru all of this.

OK, now that we all know he has the potential to be one of the greatest offensive defensemen ever in the NHL (who among us, beside maybe McPhee saw what was coming for him?), let's see if he can get thru this 'rookie' period and show the world that he has what it takes to stand on top.

Howz about that?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

@redlineblue:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who was upset about the sound at the VC last night. I left with the most pounding headache - why did they turn the bass up? Also -they had the music on so loud you couldn't hear Wes announcing the penalties...anyone going to complain to the Caps? My husband plans to call this morning.

But it was a nice, albeit not pretty, win! The guy behind me kept yelling "it's the Islanders!" to inspire the team to remember who they were playing. Wonder if Bruce was saying the same?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 2, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I noticed my right ear was deaf for a while as I was leaving the stadium. Seems OK this morning.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Everyone talks about Semin and Green and their off nights, lack of effort, etc., well not really an off-night for Greenie, but I think Backstrom should get recognized more for what a consistent player he is, and He is the Caps 2nd best player, not Green or Semin. Backstrom is awesome on both ends of the ice.

Posted by: gtydings | April 2, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Green's impressive as he nonchalantly takes the puck out of the zone while getting battered from behind by an attacket, but the same nonchalance does not work on the turnovers. Overall we were rotten as a team with giveaways last night. When we cranked it up offensively, that was fine, but we still gave up too many organized chances to the Isles' forwards.

I was disappointed we were not able to get as much front-of-net traffic as Friday. Had hoped we'd establish a trend, but maybe that was simply due to the awful Tampa D last week.

Glad they picked it up after a sluggish start. Kudos to Green. Some great steals by Backstrom. Flashes of brilliance here and there.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 2, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

What is it with the first minute or so of each period? For some reason we can never seem to get the puck out of our end at the start of a period.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 2, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom is the best player in the NHL not recognised as the 2nd best player on his team. I can't think of another player that is as good as him that doesn't get tons of ink.

Oh, well. He has mad skills and makes it look so easy. Nobody on our team has what he has, and only a few players in the league are his equal.

So, pretty soon we will have the best winger in the world, the best center in the world and the best defensemen in the world.

Howz about that?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Backy just needs to go to a face-off camp this summer, instead of hanging out with 10 or 12 stunning top models. Or maybe he could just bring the girls with him. Kill two birds with one stone.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll take one for the team & hang out with the models for Backstrom if it will help.

Posted by: uncatim | April 2, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Not a very good game, but will take the win. Imagine if this team got some secondary scoring from the guys that should be scoring...Kozlov, Nylander, Fehr, Fleischman...maybe just a goal a month! You may say I'm a dreamer....

Hopefully, they are saving it all up for the playoffs? In order to go deep in the playoffs, those guys need to start contributing...we can't always rely on Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Green to bail them out even though they almost always do1

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 2, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Is that why OV hangs with Backy? Just sayin.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Right now if we lost every game and the Canes won every game we would be tied in points. The season series is 3/3, so what is the next tiebreaker? I thought it was goals for or something like that?

Posted by: majiksea | April 2, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Re:WhyGo If he does, we will have the best offensive player in history and the best defensive player in history at the same time on the same team.

Howz about that?

Easy now... 3 Words...Robert Gordon Orr

Posted by: opus1m | April 2, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom is a very good player - what is he, 20? Can you imagine how good he'll be for the next decade? A great future.

Posted by: saintex | April 2, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

got to watch the first half of the game and they weren't too impressive. Evidently, I missed the good period. Glad to see we are up three on NJ.

Let's go CAPS!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | April 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

green looks like a kid in a candy store in the picture above.

i thought last night that those two fights (if you want to call schultz's a fight) really got the team going. semin i thought had an off night. before the game i wanted osala playing instead of aucoin, but now i take that back (aucoin was awesome out there). nylander.......still waiting

Posted by: _stevo | April 2, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

From the comfort of my sofa seat and dvr:
Aucion improves the fourth line exponentially.
Nylander with the exception of a bad pass after a great defensive play, had a very strong game.
Islanders deserve more credit than the Caps playing bad.
Backstrom with 16 out of 24 face-off wins? That is 2 out of 3, he has become a quiet super-star.
Semin had an all around strong game. Hard to believe that some people still don't see it - I suppose if he doesn't score it is a bad game.
Feds, and OV - enough said.
Joe B. had no idea that Feds was playing defense when he made that pass to OV for a score. What a joke of a play-by-play man.
Green - I keep forgetting that he is a D-man. 30 goals are great but not necessarily a Norris winner.
Schultz threw a great overhead punch.

Posted by: opita1 | April 2, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Majiksea:

The Canes take it on the next tiebreaker because one of our wins was in overtime, giving them an extra point head to head. We have 6 points against them because we're 3-3-0; they have 7 points because they're 3-2-1.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 2, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Green!

So what happens to Holtby? Is he going to Hershey or South Carolina? I'm interested to see what happens to him.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | April 2, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

shultz got jumped; there was no fight. He turtles. pansy.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | April 2, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that he's a Stingray, unless Johnson's rehab takes longer than expected.

Posted by: Section117 | April 2, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

hit submit too fast.
Seriously, if youre getting jumped, fight back. Don't just putyour head down and close your eyes. You're an NHL defenseman for christs sake. Man up and act like one. I'd rather he fought and lost.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Schultz actually surprised me by a taking a little poke to somebody's head just before the minor melee broke out.

Posted by: uncatim | April 2, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm not one to say anything nice about Schultz. But he grew a pair last night. He got a good punch in and didn't cower on the ice with his hands over his head. Give him a break!

Posted by: mikesfan | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

oo7
you must have been at the game, cause the TV didn't show much of the Schultz fight. I wish I had seen it. I only saw the punch he threw which made me smile and cheer for him.

Posted by: opita1 | April 2, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree that this team is not perfect. Yes they make boneheaded decisions and give up too many chances, BUT this team is really really young. They are going to make mistakes but look at what they have still accomplished. One point from a second straight division title, records being broken every night and are considered one of the favorites for the Cup. This team is only going to get better. This is the team to beat over the next few seasons.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

3 d-men in the box at once....jesus!

(did you like Fedorov's intermission interview with Smokin' Al? "By the way, I was playing defense there because all our guys we're in the box.")

Semin, for all his faults the rest of the ngiht, had an Ovie moment. Why go around three guys when I can just go through them? He seems to get a little bit tougher every game.

Backstrom might be the quietest elite player in the whole leauge.

What sentence did I never think I'd ever hear? "Jeff Schultz, five minutes for fighting." Next thing you know, it'll be "Game winning goal scored by John Erskine."

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 2, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

oh, one other thing. Green apparently decided he needed to deliver a message last night with all those big hits. I just can't figure out what the message was, or why it needed to be delivered. Guesses?

(I like it when he delivers his meessages by scoring goals, better!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, luckily Green sent both types of messages last night!

Just curious, since some have mentioned that the Caps magic number for #2 is 8....wouldn't or couldn't it actually be 7? The most points Devils could get is 108, and we are at 101 right now, both with 5 games less. If we got 108 points, wouldn't we still win the head to head with the devils? No biggie, just curious. I would rather the Caps get 108+ points to finish this season anyway! :)

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

THN's top 10 for Hitters & Russian has got it right - OVIE is the best player on the planet.

I don't see wimps like Crosby mentioned anywhere.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Schultz's fight? He got in a solid punch, and then got pushed up against the wall and defended himself until the referees dragged his opponent off of him. I was glad to see him get that fighting major; between him and Erskine, it got the team going, and we got the win. And how about that Mike Green, huh?

Yeah. He makes mistakes on occasion. Last I checked, he's human, isn't he? We ALL make mistakes. But:

A) We won. Our magic number for the division is now a whopping 1 point, and we can get that tonight, without having to play another game.

B) Our magic number for the #2 seed is 8. And THAT is going to be a tough battle. But, we can do it. I have confidence in our boys.

And C) How about that two-pronged attack play we tried last night? WOAH! Very nice! It had me sitting with my jaw dropped for a good solid half a minute. MAN, that was pretty!

Posted by: irockthered | April 2, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

No, the first tie breaker when points are even is overall wins. Right now the Caps have 3 more OTLs. Unless we end up with identical win/loss/OTL records the head to head doesn't matter.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah! I keep thinking its head to head first. I forget that overall wins go first. Right now we are tied with the Devils in that area, so I guess we just need to get 8 or get 7 and keep pace.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 2, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

It was a very uneven game last night - the Caps are so much better than the Isles. They let them stay in the game with some sloppy D. But, they came back pretty strong and won and that's all I need right now. Now PPs until about 10 minutes remaining in the third (the 9 secs doesn't count prior to Pothier getting sent to the box). Even though they may look too fancy at times, this team can keep control of the puck in the zone better than just about any team - there were some periods of relentless pressure on the Isles.

Lastly, I love the Islander unis. Is that strange?

Posted by: saintex | April 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Another thing to keep in mind folks is we can get the best of both worlds tonight if Carolina losses in OT.

Why? I believe the general consensus is that Caps fans, including me, would like to see NJ, Philly, Pitt, and Carolina finish 3-6, and not in any particular order. Those opponents just seem like tough first round draws because of the physical and emotional drain those teams would be to our Caps in the 1st round, even after we win it.

Now if the Carolina losses in OT, we clinch the Southeast, but Carolina earns 1 point and stays ahead of the Rangers by a point.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Has Holtby signed his entry-level contract?

Unless he has signed, he can't go to either Hershey or SC.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

saintex, Isles' alternates (80s retros) are nice. Current ones aren't too bad It's a shame that the Cup bars is a patch, though.

Posted by: koalatek | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

majiksea: Last tiebreaker on the list is goal differential. We are +25 and Carolina is +6. So Carolina can still mathematically get the division if:
* The Caps lose all 5 remaining games in regulation
* Carolina wins all 5 remaining games
* A combination of the Caps being outscored and Carolina outscoring by 20 goals, or an average of 4 goals per game.

So as an example, if the Caps lose ALL of their remaining games by 2 goals each *AND* Carolina wins ALL of their remaining games by 2 goals each, then they get the division.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 2, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Lastly, I love the Islander unis. Is that strange?"

I wouldn't say I love them, but they're not bad. What I like about them is the retro-style laces in the front.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 2, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I stand corrected... as Sonyask points out, the game on 3/14 did end in a shootout, so the Canes did win the season series 7 points to 6. So the goal differential will not come into play.

Corrected info... Carolina can still mathematically get the division if:
* The Caps lose all 5 remaining games in regulation
* Carolina wins all 5 remaining games

...There! :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 2, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorta just browsing through the posts this morning, but notice too much (if any) Erskine loving. Dude has been playing much better lately, and I enjoy (or perhaps more-so amused) when he takes those shots from just inside the blueline. Great game last nite, and I thought he should have been wearing the hard hard- with all due respect to Aucoin.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 2, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

didn't notice*

Posted by: Fro_ | April 2, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | April 2, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Quit picking on Sitout Semin. Geez the poor guy just wants to play half seasons and cash full season checks. Im sure he will be great come World Cup time

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else aware Green is just one Powerplay goal short of the LEAGUE record? That belongs to Sheldon Souray, 19 PPG in 2006-07.
The other defensemen to 18? Denis Ptovin in 1975-76 and Adrian Aucoin in 1998-99. Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Al MacInnis, Phil Housely, Bobby Orr, they never had 18 PPG in a season. Just sayin'.

Posted by: greenmachine | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Fro: I had Ersk as #3 star behind Green and Theo. Ersk started the fight that ultimately got the team going and turned the game around.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Sick pass Semin gave to Green for the game tying goal! Also two nice back checks by Semin covering for our D-man...yeah real crappy game.

Posted by: boomer44 | April 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else aware that Green is just one powerplay goal short of the NHL record? That record was set by Sheldon Souray, 19 PPG, in 2006-07. The other Defenders to 18? Denis Potvin in 1975-76 and Adrian Aucoin in 1998-99. Paul Coffey, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Al MacInnis, Phil Housley, none of them ever had 18. Just sayin'.

Posted by: greenmachine | April 2, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Semin is a Superstar in the making. Again, he is young and will make mistakes and has had a tough time adjusting to the NHL so has missed a few games. But he will score some big goals in the playoffs plus he takes pressure of Ovie.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Best stat of the night on TV was goals in first 4 years. OV is 2 ahead of Mario with 5 games to go, so now the Pens fans can STFU about mentioning OV in the same sentence as Mario.

Posted by: miked1974 | April 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Shipdriver - right on! It is obvious he relaxes too much in his zone and that is gonna hurt in the playoffs he is continues that style of play (regardless of how many goals he scores)

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | April 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

as mentioned above, our puck control in the offensive zone is really good, anyone notice we changed several forwards several times in their zone

Posted by: billd2 | April 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Dah!!! billd changing forwards in their zone! Now there is a revolution. What a great sneak play LOL I wonder if any other teams have thought of that

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Shipdriver: on the turnover I don't think there was much he could have done, ShaMo and Nyls poured the quick sand over him.

Posted by: remain | April 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

SC1907

you are actually really funny! I don't agree with most of your comments and don't like it when you rip people but you do make me laugh.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

all I noticed was the Islanders giving the caps trouble for 3 periods. Some good stuff, and courageous by the isles, but who can the caps put away if not the worst?
not saying I don't think they can beat the best but I want to seemire of a hammer. The same guys keep scoring.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

PULL, PULL HARDER, PULL, PULL HARDER.

PULL IT RAT BOY, PULL IT!

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@fro_

the sexy lumberjack has been playing very well of late (i may be a little biased on this topic). one of the most not talked about aspects of his game is he gets the puck towards the net which is what we need more of from our d-men as a whole

Posted by: _stevo | April 2, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

That would be a REVELATION not a "revolution." A fan merely pointed out that offensive zone control was so good last night that the ability to change lines and maintain control in the offensive zone was basically a constant last night. The fact that you linger in here just waiting to make a worthless comment makes all Caps fans sick. No need to respond. www.shush.com

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

It would be a teeny bit more funny if could actually READ what the little rat boy wrote. Spelling counts, rat boy.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

you are still a rat boy - add 'we'. you know where to put it.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

SC1907

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Funny FUNNY ....This is serious stuff here . I try not to rip people for that I am sorry . The players on the other hand ...if they deserve I will call them out! but thanks bigschu8 maybe i will give you my seat # and you can pop by and say hi

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

yes I stand corrected, what I was trying to point out was we changed a forward while they were cycling in the corner. I do understand about line changes although many are made during dumpins and during the transition. sorry I was not clear

Posted by: billd2 | April 2, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

your frogness is coming thru.

oh, sorry. I meant ratness.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo....Your nickname is going to be "Walking Eagle" ...because your so full of #@&% you cant fly!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

SC1907

I'd love to make it out to a Caps game and say hi to you. Unfortunately I live in Canada. You can rip for that if you wish. I promise not to take it personally.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

OMG, SC1907 said #@&%!!!!!

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

hit a nerve did I? I hate French Fries, too.

No Checking on your side of the border till 15 years old, right?

The tough kids live in the English areas, I guess?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

crickets?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Hope the spelling was correct Mike...
Im sure "Walking Eagle can read it! LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I have sooo many questions to ask, but I'm not in a feeding mood.

The race is heating up nicely. Philly and Pitts would be a fun series to watch. I rather hope that NJ doesn't lose too many more (1 or 2 would be OK by me). I like them in 3rd.

I'd also like to see FL beat out Mon for the last slot and silence those croakers for the rest of the year. It would also mean that the SE has 3 teams in the playoffs. Then maybe we can start calling it the NorthLeast conference and see how they like it for a change. :D

Posted by: Greg S. | April 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Habs will make it in .

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Habs could beat Boston. Its a karma thing.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 2, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

the occupiers? I mean inhabitants?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If the Habs meet Bos they will be done . This year anyway

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Crazy thought for the Rags/Canes game tonight. I wonder if it'd almost be better to root for the Canes? Loser of that contest drops to seventh seed, and I'd rather that be the Rags. We don't need their help to nail down the division - we can do that Friday against Buffalo, and it'd be more fun to do it in our own house anyway. So, it's actually better for us in the long term for the Canes to win.

What do you think?

@Greg S: I'd like to see Philly/Pitt, too. NJD/Carolina will be an interesting bout, although I think Carolina will take the series in 6.

I don't dislike the Habs, but I have to agree with wanting Florida. Florida at least will put up a fight against the Bruins. :P And the knocks about SouthLeast can stop, yes.

I'm beginning to suspect that the resident troll is actually Don Cherry.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This guy is no DC, that's for sure. Don knows something about hockey, this guy just waits to pick a fight. Nothing to offer, just 'Caps Suc', 'I'm smart and yer Knot', blah, blah, blah...

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs vs Rangers...Avery vs OV...could be a lot of fun!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Price needs to get his confidence back before Habs can win anything

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Habs have more going for them than Price. Man, you dis even your own team. Loser.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh ...Walking Eagle now likes Grapes.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

greg s. I agree, Florida over Habs. Karma for the all star voting. That should help the league fix it. All those habs starting and no playoffs. what a joke. Get in there, Cats. It's yours to lose.
Let's discuss the west. I like Calgary and Columbus.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I remember the days of Montreal as a division rival. And the "guaranteed win" nights where we would lose to them (and get the free tickets).

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

My predictions are: Final 4

East: Bruins vs Caps [my heart says Caps in 7 but my head says Bruins will be tough]

West: Red Wings vs Sharks [picking the Sharks in 7]

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Calgary might make the conference finals. They look good right now.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Sharks are this years Stanley Cup Winner .They have all the ingredients

Ok off to work TC "Walking Eagle"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 2, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Why Calgary? I know their goaltending is strong, but they haven't played well of late. Vancouver just took the division lead from them Tuesday night.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 2, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Howz about that?

Easy now... 3 Words...Robert Gordon Orr

Posted by: opus1m | April 2, 2009 9:18 AM

. . . and two more - Wayne Gretzky

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@oo7: I forgot about the All-Star voting. DEFINITELY want Cats in 8th and Habs out. Come on, Kitties, you're the agents of poetic justice. Make it so.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: your Dr. Evil reference made me laugh out loud right when my boss was walking by.

Posted by: 1hockeymom | April 2, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

wow, Boston has allowed 45 fewer goals than Wasington.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

why Calgary? They're suited for the playoffs, with a good mix of grit and skill, Jokinen landed on a team worth his salt and is showing it, proven quality goaltender in post season, and Iron Mike Keenan. I think they can last a round and give Sj and Detroit a run for there money. And I love Iginla.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey kitty, put together a list of who will land where in the standings and well see how it turns out in April. Due date by Friday night? then well do our capsule for the post when the reg season ends. good?
anyone else can join as well. excel files would work best, I think.

Posted by: oo7 | April 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

OK, I took a little dramatic license with the list of the best players ever. I apologize to those fans that were hurt by my comments.

But, you all must admit that my basic point of 'holy crap, what a team we could become' is on solid ground.

Oh, and keep pulling it, rat boy, before it falls off.

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

3 to 11 at the 7-11, rat boy?

Posted by: WhyGo | April 2, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

oo7: Good points regarding Calgary, just wanted to know why you picked them. Kip is a great goaltender and if he gets hot in the playoffs, he can steal games left and right. It would be nice to see Theo finally shed the stigma he has for the playoffs.

@1hockeymom: Just saw parts of it AGAIN this weekend and didn't want to get into a discussion with SC1907. Hope it made your workday better.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

007, i agree Calgary is built for the playoffs but i am concerned with how many goals they give up. I am a firm believer that good defense will beat good offense. Detroit also gives up alot of goals due their goaltending issues. If Calgary gets into a shootout with SanJose and Detroit, they may get by one of them but I dont think both.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@DevCapsGal:
I emailed Caps about last night's horrible sound management, hope you will too.

1G 2A for Nicklas tomorrow in a 5-2 win.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Totally torn about who to pull for in the canes v. rangers game tonight, would love to play the rangers in round one not only because that's where I live now and I'd love to give my friends up here hell, but I also don't want to see our boys get caught seeing a PA team in round one... maybe we can shake that curse but I'd rather not test it.

Best case scenarios: We play Rangers round 1 (could beat the Canes but they play so similarly to us, style-wise, its hard to call that one an easy matchup), and Philly plays Pitts so at least one of them gets knocked out. Always happy when either of them loses.It would however be pretty glorious to be the ones to knock either of them out... lets just do it in round 2.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I said this before, and i will say this again.

no one is beating the wings out of the west.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@redlineblue:

I've both emailed and called the Caps - let's see if we get any response.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@bigschu8: Guilt by association. SC1907 is a troll and does nothing but try to incite people into nonsensical "discussions", which is loosely used to describe his failed attempts at dealing with his man-crush on Alexander Semin and providing illogical reasons why he holds dearly that the Washington Capitals are nothing without a Stanley Cup. Rather than let you develop an unhealthy affinity for the troll, I'd best help you understand that he's bad news. Welcome to the blog though. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 2, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse