Morning Reading List: Secondary Scorers Emerge

(John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

Five out of the Capitals' six goals in yesterday's 6-4 win over the Thrashers came from players not named Alex, as Washington received a timely secondary-scoring surge to take sole possession of second place in the Eastern Conference. Of those goal-scorers though, it was Keith Aucoin who stole the spotlight as perhaps the best player in the Capitals' final home game of the season.

If you didn't catch it yesterday, there is a must-read profile of Bruce Boudreau, the "patron saint of second chances", in his hometown Toronto Star.

Here are the highlight's from yesterday's win over the Thrashers.

Don't forget to check out the Thrashers' perspective from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Mike Vogel offers his case for Alex Ovechkin in the still-festering Hart Trophy debate.

The NHL on TSN panel discusses the major award contenders. Their Hart Trophy pick is a "no brainer."

With a week to go in the regular season, it's still pretty unclear which team the Capitals will face in the first round. The Hockey News breaks down the bubble teams in both conferences.

In the System
Michal Neuvirth came up with a stellar 40-save performance to lead Hershey past Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in a 3-2 shootout win to give the Bears a four-point edge in the division lead.

In their first game of the weekend, though, the Bears wound up on the wrong side of the extra session with a 4-3 overtime loss to Bridgeport.

Video Extras
It never hurts to have a little extra something to help get through a Monday, so here are both parts of Lisa Hillary's interview with Ovechkin that ran during Comcast SportsNet's "8 Days of Ovechkin".

And part two:

By Katie Carrera  |  April 6, 2009; 5:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aucoin a Keeper?
Next: McPhee on Aucoin: 'Next Year, We Hope He Sticks'

Comments

Finally, last game was all about secondary scoring. Flash, Nyls and Fehr scored goals after a long goalless period for em.

Posted by: Hazz | April 6, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse

"If you missed it, the Montreal Gazette thinks the Canadiens should be hoping for a first-round playoff match up with the Capitals."

Right... we're 3-1 against them.
Seems to me that the Canadiens have more things to sort out and worry about than picking who they want in the playoffs. Actually, I'd be more than happy to face the Canadiens cause we can get rid of them in 4.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 6, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Got 2. Must get 4 of 4 points vs. Atlanta. There's no room for error now.

Posted by: gebster | April 6, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

irockthered:
Do you really think that BB is not still looking at Varly for possible post-season play? If there is one thing that he has proved it is that he does not stand an ceremony - he'll play the hot hand (think Kolzig/Huet.) I'm not saying it will be Varly, but I would be surprised if he has been completely ruled out. Varly has already proven that he is NHL ready with 3 wins and 1 loss that was due to 3 deflections off his own team members. In most camps would he be considered a #1 guy? No, but most camps don't have inconsistent Theo. Assuming Jose gets the start, if he chokes you better bet the Varly would see ice time. Is he the best goalie for the job? No, but he may be the best that we have. I don't know if he can carry the Caps to the cup, but I don't know that he can't, either. After all, it would not be the first time that a rookie made post-season magic (Cam Ward comes to mind ...).

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 6, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

what i liked was that they maintained their intensity the whole third period, even after taking a two goal lead.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 6, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

What the pundits think about Varlamov:

"For the third time this season, the Caps called on 20-year-old goaltender Simeon Varlamov to start for them. And for the third time, Varlamov delivered. He turned aside 26 of 28 shots, improving to 3-0-0 with a 1.74 goals-against average and a .939 save percentage."

There's a great THN article out there that talks about how he is one of the most promising rookies in the league, but I have not found a soft-copy of it. Suffice it to say there are great expectations of the kid.

Seeing as the pundits also continue to express concerns about Theo's ability to take the Caps to the cup, Varly's shot may come sooner than later.

Posted by: --Boo-- | April 6, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

It is going to be nice to have some tune-up games this week, while our potential first round match will be gunning for a spot.

We do need to win though, because I think the #2 spot is a big deal.

Take a look at the week the Rangers have...I would be very nervous as a Rangers fan.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

great article on BB, hope he stays with the CAPS until he retires!!LETS GO CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: TracyMD1 | April 6, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

cstanton -- good on you for recognizing Schultz's strong play in the last thread; know you have not been a fan. He may be pulling it together.

For those thinking we should handle Atl because they're a rotten team, consider that we heretofore split the series with them, they're a division opponent and they play us very tough. We're going to have to hold it together to beat them again tomorrow. Let's hope for a lower scoring game for the Thrashers, some points for AO, and more secondary scoring.

I believe we go with Varly backing up for the playoffs, and not test Johnson even if he's ready. I suppose there's good reason to put Johnnie in in the latter part of a blowout, but I just don't think he'll have been tested enough. Varly's got more playoff experience, doesn't he (albeit in the ahl)?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps win 2/3 they get to the 50 win plateau -- Let's go Caps! Quite a milestone from where they were a year and a half ago.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 6, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

ps w/ the Caps possibly playing the Cats in the playoffs plus the Cats on the po bubble, that season finale could be a wild one

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | April 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I hope 3 Southeast teams make the playoffs. No longer the South"least" division! :D

Caps better come out ready to play tomorrow night. Those two points will be huge. Atlanta is going to play hard since they collapsed in the third period yesterday. The weird thing is we've played better on the road than at home, our defense is much more stout on the road. I'm hoping for a 2-1 or 3-1 win.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 6, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Varly's got more playoff experience, doesn't he (albeit in the ahl)?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 8:18
--------------------
What? How would Varly have AHL playoff experience?? It's his first season in America. The experience he has is from playing in Russia.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 6, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't know. I'm getting tired of seeing 40 minutes of slop and 20 minutes of dominance. That isn't going to cut it in the playoffs. Not even close. The first time we get to a team with even a sniff of the playoffs, the slack costs us the game. (Buffalo.)

The guys need to get it together, stop being casual, stop being fancy, buckle down and play at 100% if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs, and I don't care who they're playing.

As for Montreal wanting us ... of their possibilities, the Caps offer the best chance of not getting booted immediately. Nobody said it was a great chance, but it's better than the other two. They're guaranteed one of the division leaders; they won't climb higher than 6th. Of NJD, BOS, and WSH, I'd gamble with WSH in their shoes. Why? Indifferent effort, goaltending still a question mark (although less than it was, but they probably don't notice) and sloppy systems play that comes out looking like bad D.

I wish I could be more optimistic about our chances in the playoffs right now, but the boys haven't given me a lot to be optimistic about.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has been answered or asked in another thread, but what happened to Schultz?
During the Jerseys Off Our Backs thing, they said he was getting stitched up in the locker room.

Posted by: SarahM28 | April 6, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

With all due respect...statistics show play going into the playoffs doesnt = success. Last year we were the hottest team, but didnt play well in the first 4 games.

I would look at the Caps as a whole unit. They have rarely lost 4 of 7 games in regulation ALL SEASON.

Look at any other team going in, and you can argue that the Caps are in as good of a position as any right now.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@kitty

We also have very few major injuries right now which is huge. We also have some really nice Hershey guys that can fill if someone gets hurt.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Kittypawz: If they play the way they played in the third period yesterday for 60 minutes, they'd be unstoppable. The third period really restored a lot of my confidence, that when they need to turn it on, they can, and the secondary scoring was there, and the 5-on-5 goals. But I do agree with you that we need to do it for 60 minutes. We need to stop thinking we'll pull it out in the third, and we need to be awake from the start of the game, not once we're down a couple of goals.

The problem is the defensive breakdowns and bad giveaways that have been happening lately. If it's happening now, a couple of games before the playoffs, it's bound to happen during the playoffs, against even better teams that will make you pay. Someone said it earlier, but with the style we play, we will give up a lot of odd man rushes, it's just the good and the bad, lots of goals scored, lots of goals scored on you.

Schultz was hiding in the locker room because he was afraid no one would want his jersey. Haha. JK, I'm so cruel.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 6, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

tess -- thanks for the correction re Varly. You're right of course. Semyon was drafted a few years ago but only made it to Hershey this past year.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

RE: Montreal wanting the Caps. The feeling is mutual, boys. The Canadians are the weakest playoff team in the NHL.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Bring on the Habs! They are cannon fodder for whomever they play. They have one decent line and even Kovalev isn't guarenteed to show up every night, their goaltending situation is worse than ours.

As far as the Caps play recently (especially against bad or desperate teams) I have decided not to be overly concerned. At the game yesterday it finally clicked on why they consistently struggled against these teams. They are playing reckless hockey with nothing to lose and most often are forechecking with 2 forwards and sometimes 3. Playoff teams don't play that way, it is a more cautious game because every mistake is magnified. The risk of an aggresive forecheck is that if the Caps break it you have an odd man rush against you with great skaters coming in your front door, or you commit a penalty and put the Caps PP to work. So come playoffs the Caps will see teams playing a more "normal" game and will have better opportunities to use their skating and stick handling to their advantage.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

ccCapsfan: Same. But like Kittypawz said, out of the three, the Caps would maybe be the one team that Montreal has a chance (slight chance) against. But, saying that, I think we would beat them, we went 3-1 against them and the only loss was that stupid Jurcina play, where he lost the puck in his skates.

About our "sloppy" system: I take our system for its good and its bad. I'd much rather watch this fun style of hockey than the boring, conservative, defensive mindset, winning games 2-1, that many teams play. Although that is what wins in the playoffs.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 6, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: *knocks on wood, a lot* No jinxy. No jinxy. :)

@rachel: Totally agreed - it's the style and the system that makes the D look bad, because odd-man rushes will happen when assignments get missed. It's the nature of the beast.

I know about them turning it on when it matters - Detroit is doing the same thing right now and did much the same thing last year. It still makes me nervous, though - they've been doing that for the last month and change and it makes me crazy. Good teams won't let them pull out of it - see: Carolina.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to have the Habs in the first round. Come out hard against Price in the first game and his confidence will go down for the rest of the series.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | April 6, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the sloppiness we've seen the last 2 games is so much our D as much as it's been our forwards doing a poor job passing to get out of the zone.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's the system or what, but basically the Caps aren't good at clearing the puck out of the d-zone. All of which leads to tired defenders, extra shots on goal, and goals against.

Posted by: koalatek | April 6, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216: Not necessarily. Detroit doesn't play that way necessarily, and look what they've managed to accomplish. We're fairly close to Detroit in style in a lot of ways. It's just that the coverage assignments get missed; the style isn't sloppy, the way we play it sometimes is, and it leaves the keeper out to dry.

I'm thinking "be careful what you wish for" with regard to the playoffs. Yeah, MTL looks like a tempting target, but any team that makes the playoffs can be dangerous, and upsets happen. I'm sure we look like a tempting target, too.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

For those that think the Thrashers are a weak team that we should be trashing they are 11-5 in their last 16. In that stretch they have beaten the Caps, Canadiens, Flames, Oilers, Panthers, and the Sabres twice. Us the Flames and Canadiens all sit in a playoff spot and the Oiler, Panther, and Sabres are still alive for a spot with 3 games left.

With the exception of having to fight Cherry Blossom traffic yesterday's game was awesome. Too bad it took BB yelling at the Caps but the 3rd period was absolutely dominate. When the teams were 5 on 5 it looked as if the Caps were on the PP. It would be nice to secure the #2 seed to guarantee home ice for the 1st two rounds.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

For those that think the Thrashers are a weak team that we should be trashing they are 11-5 in their last 16. In that stretch they have beaten the Caps, Canadiens, Flames, Oilers, Panthers, and the Sabres twice. Us the Flames and Canadiens all sit in a playoff spot and the Oilers, Panthers, and Sabres are still alive for a spot with 3 games left.

With the exception of having to fight Cherry Blossom traffic yesterday's game was awesome. Too bad it took BB yelling at the Caps but the 3rd period was absolutely dominant. When the teams were 5 on 5 it looked as if the Caps were on the PP. It would be nice to secure the #2 seed to guarantee home ice for the 1st two rounds.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Have they set the date for game 1 yet?

Posted by: mikesfan | April 6, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Caps are a bad team getting the puck out of the zone; they've just been that way lately.

Plus, forwards bad passing bas been on all ends, and the middle, of the ice of late

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@koalatek: I'm thinking this might be the forwards in large part. The D-men (Poti excepted) seem to be pretty decent at grabbing the puck along the boards and getting it out to a forward; it's where it hits a forward that the breakdown seems to happen. I don't know what the problem is, though.

Am I the only person who is kind of jonesing to sit Poti for a game or two? Pothier seems to be fitting himself back in pretty well, at least to these eyes. Poti's had some truly horrid clears and some really nasty D mistakes, one of which led to a goal last night.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Game 1 probably won't be set until sunday. VC's schedule is wide open. My hope is that games 1 & 2 are 4/15 & 4/17.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed this. I think a lot of that is being too cute. You notice that when the cute disappeared in the third, so did the bad passing, and then the Caps just became frighteningly good?

Also, I'm surprised no mention was made of David Steckel and him pushing the puck with his hand along the boards after his stick got broken. Mad props to him for that - he hung right in the play and didn't let it go even at considerable risk to himself.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

My 30th b-day is on the 15th so that would be a great gift to me. But I may have to go on a work trip - I can get out of it but I feel bad doing it for my b-day and possibly game 1. I could probably get tickets but could on the 17th as well.

Posted by: mikesfan | April 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

You're right about that, Kitty, and about Steckel, and also that it's Poti's turn to sit. I saw a good play or two from him yesterday, but far more bad ones. Plus Pothier needs to get regular again.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: But none of those teams are division leaders or even favorites to win the Cup. We're supposed to be a serious contender, and we didn't look like it for 40 minutes last night. Now, grant that in the last 20, we did. It's just - a hockey game is 60 minutes, not 20, and I want to see that kind of game for 60 minutes. If they played for 60 the way they played the last 20, it could have been an absolute curbstomp. That's my point - consistent effort please. When the effort and the discipline is there, this team is scary. When it's not, they're ... not.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 6, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Mikesfan -- My birthday too, man. I want to celebrate it with a game one win!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It's not really lately, they've had puck clearing issues for three years. At first the team was mired in the rebuild, so we thought it was just a lack of talent, but, it's just the way the team is.

I think it's both forwards and defense. Our forwards do like the cute passes and not sending the puck out and try to deke out. Our defensemen really love to try to send the puck behind the goal and around the opposite boards, but often there aren't any Caps over there.

Posted by: koalatek | April 6, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@--Boo-- -- No, that isn't what I'm saying at all.

1) Varlamov has gotten VERY lucky in his wins. He got very UNLUCKY in his loss.

But whether he is ready or not, either he or Michal Neuvirth (my preference) is GOING to be our backup goaltender until Johnson is ready to come back.

Neuvirth doesn't flop around as much as Varlamov does.

Posted by: irockthered | April 6, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 - Re: If Backstrom or Semin had done the same thing would you be sitting here whining about it being a clean hit? Or would you be happy that this team showed some togetherness on the ice..

No, I'd be p*ssed that they got themselves shoved into the box for instigator, instigator/face shield, fighting, and 10-minute (or even game!) misconduct, over a legal hit - which you KNOW is what would happen to our team, since we don't have the Golden Boy, Crosby.

Fortunately, that won't happen with the Caps; our enforcers don't jump people for legal hits, because we're smart enough not to.

If it HADN'T been a legal hit, and the referees hadn't called it, sure, jump the hitter. Jump him all over the place. But it was a LEGAL HIT.

We didn't jump anyone when Green got hit by Pronger, and he got HURT by that legal hit. I was not upset, because it was a legal hit, and jumping Pronger would have only sent one of our guys to the box, and possibly gotten him kicked out of the game or suspended.

We DID when Semin got hit by Backes. And I had not problem with that.

The difference is legal hit vs. not legal AND not called.

It is not team chemistry to jump someone for doing their job.

Posted by: irockthered | April 6, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Nylander's goal celebration was a highlight for me. The knee drop, slow deliberate double fist pump is a lost art I tell ya

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz Re: This morning I had an Alvin and the Chipmunks/Caps photoshop possibility in my head after yelling THEODORE!!!!! after his freebie to Slava Kozlov. Is that bad? (And yes, Ovi/Alvin.)

ROFL! Oh man, that's funny. Bad, but funny!

Posted by: irockthered | April 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

When did the "cute" passing go away? The 3rd was littered with awesome "cute" passing. Aucoin to Flash, Flash the Semin, Semin buried it. Probably the "sickest" passing play all season.

Fehr's goal ended up with him crashing the net but that was after a curl and drag and failed attempt to pass to Laich. It bounced back to Fehr and he roofed it as he was pulled down.

It's funny how close too much "cute" passing is to a beatiful passing play. For example if OV's pass to Aucoin would have been whiffed by Aucoin how many fans would have said that OV shouldn't have passed up the shot. Many will say that Flash should have shot the puck after Aucoin sacrificed his body to pass it to him. Flash was in the slot, but he chose to pass and Semin had a nice finish.

I love going to watch my Caps, and I have of course renewed my season tickets but I get disgusted listening to the casual fan critique every aspect of the game. Now that the Caps win, fans don't complain when the lose, they complain when they miss a pass, or even question a pass, or a dump to an open corner. Which by the way is how the whole Nylander goal sequence started. Jurcina did not have a shot, dumped it to the corner, puck was retrieved from the corner passed to Nylander, bam, back of the net. I know I am rambling but to disect every portion of a game is rediculous. I know I have rambled on but give the kids a break, they are learning how to win games they are supposed to win. That was a complaint many fans had two weeks ago when they were playing .500 hockey.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The Caps seem to feel that they will be able to just turn on the intensity switch once the playoffs start. There is some evidence to suggest they can (they have played very well against the best teams all year); but I guess we'll know soon enough.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 6, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else excited to see the Red Wings crush the Sabres dreams on home ice tonight?

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Re: OV’s new Car (Part 1)

Yes, folks: I know this is now off-topic (sorry), but for some reason my original post got blocked, so please bear with me…

About that customized AMG Benz: Nice Car? Yes, absolutely. Fast car? Also true.
But at the end of the day, that car is not exotic…just very expensive.

If you really dig exotic, try these on for size…

One beastly StarCruiser:

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Re: OV’s new Car (Part 2)

Bäckis might like this one:

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 6, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Re: OV’s new Car (Part 3)

Yeah, I know this looks a lot like BJ1’s Jag, but you’ve got to give mad props to any car driven by James Bond (“Now pay attention, 008!”):

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 6, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Re: OV’s new Car (Part 4)

Here’s one if you like Porsches:

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 6, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, the favorite complaint I hear is when the Caps regroup by pushing the puck behind our net, get a complete line change and begin a controlled breakout. All I hear from the doofus in front of me is "you're going the wrong way." In the words of the King of Queens SHUT IT!

Again, for those that do not know why the Capitals do that it is called a CONTROLLED BREAKOUT. There are set plays. The breakouts get more difficult when teams resort to the trap, at least 4 guys between the blue lines, which is why they gain the neutral zone at times and then send it back to a d-man to try a different route. The goal in hockey, besides scoring, is to maintain control of the puck, at times that means you move backwards.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where the fan appreciation prize list will be posted? All I found on the website was the initial sign up page.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | April 6, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It is sobering to read Montreal Gazette's reasons for preferring the Caps to the Devils as a playoff rival because it confirms the fears of many of us: "this is the time of year when defence comes to the fore and the Caps have suspect goaltending in the person of former Canadien José Theodore and a shaky defence corps." The main reason they are afraid of the Devils is Martin Brodeur.

I just don't see us going far without stellar goal-tending to achor the team and, especially, the shaky defense.

I wonder if Varly has it in him to emerge as the break-out, come-from-behind goaltender, the way Cam Ward and Steve Mason did. I also wonder if he will be given a chance. He was stellar in 3 games but shaky in the last one and, apparently, weak in shoot-outs. I don't know if he has the grit, focus and consistency it takes to be the "savior." Do you think he would be better than Theo? I wish BB gave him two of the last 3 games to test him.

Posted by: caraveli | April 6, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had Marty Brodeur, but the RedWings have won the Cup without a great goaltender.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 6, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I think Aucoin raises the quality of the passing game significantly. Another reason he should continue to play.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 6, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Just commenting on our demands that they play their best hockey for all 60 minutes of the game. Not sure how many of us have the experience of skating and playing hockey for a full 60 minutes but I would imagine it's difficult. I can barely finish 45 minutes on a treadmill and I can't see myself demanding someone else put on hockey gear and skate for 60 minutes, even if they are skating off and on during that entire period.

All I can ask the Capitals to do is skate their best and try their darnedest to win the Cup. And no, I'm not asking for half a$$ed effort or just hoping for mediocre game play. Just being realistic.

Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 6, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The only reason Montreal wants to play us in the first round is:

"If we're gonna lose, we might as well have Ovie come to our building twice to entertain us."

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Brodeur lose 6 in a row leading up to this past week? They had to go to OT to beat TBL?

He's a terrific goalie, but let's not go down that road. If this team can set the alarm clock 40 minutes earlier and plays a full game, we'll be OK.

That means no bone-headed passes at the blue line for Ovie, Feds, and the rest of the forwards. Poti needs to learn that 2 years ago the blue line was moved closer to center, so it's a longer clearing pass. Theo can't do stupid things like trying to score.

Atlanta is not a bad team and will be playing at home for pride. The Cats on Sat may be more than a handful if we play like we did Sunday.

This team has coasted for the past month plus. They could have been at the top of the conference instead of fighting for second.

This is a good team if they'll work at it a little. They can beat anyone out there. They just need to think more and execute a little better.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 6, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I also love when the doofus next to me yells shoooooooot, when we see the same lane as Green or OV from our vantage point and there is not way on earth the puck will get through. Which is why the experts pull it back and move it around. Now I am not saying that Caps don't pass on shots but OV, 500+ shots, 55 goals, this season, doesn't need us telling him when to shoot. We have a good team folks, and we are lucky as heck to be able to witness OV's career first hand. We probably still need a piece or two to win a Cup, or maybe Theo can shake his post season rep.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Great article on the Coach. They revved it up in that 3rd period. I'm curious to see what Play off mode will be an how much last year's experience will help them this year.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

In my opinion, our playoff success will go as far as our secondary scoring goes.

We have the best prime-time scorers in the league. If our 3rd and 4th line chip in and we can hold teams to 3 goals...we wont be beat.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town:
In case you could not tell, I am more concerned about goal tending. :-)

Posted by: Boo- | April 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Re: OV’s new Car (Part 5)

…and finally, a prototype currently under construction:

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

A wood firewall...There's something wrong with that.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 6, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The difference is legal hit vs. not legal AND not called.

It is not team chemistry to jump someone for doing their job.

Posted by: irockthered | April 6, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse