Morning Reading List: Game 1 Aftermath

(John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

Jose Theodore took the blame for the loss after his counterpart in Rangers blue, Henrik Lundqvist, outplayed him as the Capitals suffered a 4-3 defeat in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.

Mike Wise believes Jose Theodore should get at least one more game, or perhaps just one more period, to prove that he can be the goaltender the Capitals need in the postseason. But according to Wise, one thing's for sure: Theodore is on thin ice.

Here are the highlights from Game 1:

From the neighboring D.C. Sports Bog:

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun says Bruce Boudreau has one very important decision to make in the next two days: Jose Theodore or Simeon Varlamov?

Don't forget to check out the Washington Times recap as well.

The Hockey News' Edward Fraser compares the Capitals Game 1 performance to Charles Dickens' opening in A Tale of Two Cities.

Through the Rangers' Looking Glass
Here are an array of recaps from the Rangers' perspective -- from the New York Times, The Daily News, Newsday and The New York Post.

One of The Hockey News' top 10 playoff questions: Can Henrik Lundqvist beat the Capitals on his own?

In the System
The Bears open their first-round match up tonight against the Phantoms, and here are what their lines looked like in yesterday's practice.

This series could prove to be one of the toughest for Hershey, but the Bears know what they're up against in Philadelphia and Phantom Coach John Paddock, the only AHL coach in history to lead three different teams to the Calder Cup.

By Katie Carrera  |  April 16, 2009; 10:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau Facing a Big Decision
Next: Brent Johnson: Odd Man Out, Again

Comments

I wouldnt give Theo game 2. Let him sit and stew. Maybe that will keep him focused, watching from the bench. Let Varlamov get his dose of playoff experience, so that next year it isnt new to him. He might get lit up, or he might light up and catch fire. Only one way to find out. After all, at this point, after this season and his performance, we can't bank on Theodore. That much should be obvious to all. And if it isn't yet, it will be. But thats just my opinion.

Posted by: oo7 | April 16, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Why take the risk of going down 2-0? Chances are Theo bounces back, and if he doesn't, then you can put it on the line...

Posted by: honed | April 16, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Excerpt From Pierre LeBrun's interview with Jeff Schultz after the game:

PL: Jeff, that was a tough game...
JS: Yeah, the Rangers played well...
PL: You often have been critized for not playing a physical game?
JS: Yeah, it's geting annoying! This whole "checking" thing is overrated, and frankly sometimes it hurts.
PL: But you are a big player...
JS: Yes, but I think hitting people is mean. I'm much better at waving my stick back and forth really fast in the air...if you do it fast enough it makes noises like farts! Plus, I know Jose is behind me, so that pretty red light will come on and it gives the stick the strobe effect which is cool along with the farting noises.
PL: What happened on the Rangers fourth goal?
JS: Dubinsky is really fast. If I push him into the wall and stop the play...I stop. I'm so slow that if I stop it takes me half a shift to get going again. He came down the wing and I looked at my skates to make sure they were still on...I have to look...have you ever walked on ice without skates? It's cold, man...really cold! So he goes by me, and I tripped on something? I looked down and it was my jockstrap...I could tell it was mine because it had Schultz written on it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 16, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

From previous post:
"I agree that Ovie needs to take more 'quality' shots - just shooting from anywhere no matter how many bodies are between him and the net doesn't get the job done - find the open man."

I agree with that to a point, OV needs more quality shots, however I do recall Lundy having slight trouble with a few of OV's sneakier shots (eventually one of those could sneak by).

Also, two of the Caps power play goals were a direct result of OV just shooting the puck on the net. Flash's tip in and Semins rebound (there was a skirmish on net before Semin was able to tap it in, but that was because OV threw the puck towards the net even though he was heading behind it..)

GO Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Stick with Theo. Get off the ledge. We should still win this series.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 16, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Painful to say, but Theo needs one more game. Sit him now and he is mentally ruined for the rest of the playoffs. If it goes 2-0, then go with Varly. Teams that are built to win 6 to 4 don't win Stanley Cups...

Posted by: petworth78 | April 16, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Tough loss. However, the Caps are 6-2-1 on weekend games that start at 3 pm or earlier. Useless fact? Perhaps. But I'm very much looking forward to Game 2.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 16, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon

absolutely hilarious!

Posted by: Kevin9149 | April 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Theo is washed up. He was a decent goalie in 2000-2002 time period...but we cannot bank on talent that was 7 years ago...he's gone stale and slow...time to start fresh. Varly will rise to the occasion and I think the team will play for him...certainly Theo isn't playing for the guys in front of him (defensive miscues or not!)...yank him...yank him now!

Posted by: netminder71 | April 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Patrone put a great spin on it. Its one game.

This morning I am certainly bitter, in a bad mood, snappy, cranky, petulant, grumpy, testy, grouchy, querolous, crabby, bad-tempered, and generally cantankerous (bonus points for working that into a sentence)

Go CAPS!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

ONLY in Washington can a player MISS 13 times, lose the game and be named 1st star! OV's stick and Theo's are now keeping the ice cream cold in the concession stand

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I say start Varly. This will send a message to the rest of the team. They seem to play better in front of him. Didn't Price come in a couple of years ago in a similar situation and lead Montreal to the finals?

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 16, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

We have a lot of money invested in Theo, Nylander, and Feds. How about some return on that investment?

Posted by: FancyDan | April 16, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

So what, the staff goes down to the game and can't put up an MRL until 10? For shame.

Posted by: Section117 | April 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Listen up bloggers - CHILL!!!

It's one game, eh best of 7 series. Last year we won the first and lost the next 3, short memory.

The Caps outplayed the Rags. The big difference between the game was goaltending. Theodore is not the same caliber of Lundqvist everyone knows this. However, JT60 needs to play respectable for the Caps to win. Last night he couldn't stop anything top shelve.

Theo as he himself said played rotten. This game could have been 6-3 with the 2 posts NYR had. Good thing, Theo "fought for those inches" (Al Pacino). :P

I predict BB gives the start of game 2 to Theo. If he falters, Varly gets the next nod. So what he gets his 1st playoff start in NY - his 1st game was in Montreal. Wasn't it years ago that a young Cam Ward came in for a struggling Gerber and went on to win the Stanley Cup?

Schultz has to sit game 2. No second chances for him. Someone tell BB for me.

Other than a few other adjustments and things can be fine.

Lot of game left so lay out the panic button!

Posted by: puckman | April 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Now that I've sobered up and slept on it, give Theo one more start. He's been pretty good at rebounding from embarassing performances in the past, and last night should have certainly qualified as one in his mind. If he comes back strong, great. If not, give Varlamov a shot, because at that point what harm could it do?

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

correction: Lay "off" the panic button!

Posted by: puckman | April 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

no that would send a message to Theo. saying " Your done with us!" So Varly comes in and loses! than what do you do? Two goaltenders with their head spinning!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Let me see if I can make the email I wrote to my friends this morning appropriate enough to be accepted by this blog (by taking all the expletives out). OK, here we go:

The only way we'll win this if Boudreau takes Theo out. It *** annoys the *** out of me that he won't play an obviously much better goalie just because Theo is the designated #1 one with a fat contract. I bet that if you asked the Caps players in private who'd they rather have in net they'd all say Varlamov. They have no confidence in Theo. He's played like garbage all year. I'm tired of hearing excuses for him. People who keep defending him must not watch other teams play because their standard of expectations for goaltending is very low. They keep always blaming the d-men who don't clear the rebounds, etc. They wouldn't have to if that *** didn't give up so many bad ones. His fundamentals are all wrong. I'm no goalie coach, but here's a quick list:

1. Stays too deep in his net, which for his size is a no-no.
2. Goes down way too early, even before the shot is taken. Again a total no-no for any, but especially a small goalie.
3. His rebound control is terrible. Everything bounced off him right in front. It seems like he almost never eats up the puck, unlike Varlamov.
4. His glove and blocker used to be good, but are too slow now. He gets easily beat up high all the time.
5. His lateral movement, which used to be his trademark, sucks now. He constantly is too slow to move across which results in easy empty net goals.
6. He doesn't battle. Just gives up on 2nd shots.
7. If you just throw the puck into his pads there's a great chance that he will manage to bumble it in himself or give up a juicy rebound right in front.
8. He is terrible at picking up the puck through traffic. Everything just seems to go right through him.

Now I could make a long list of how Varlamov is different, but I'll just leave it at this. Just take these 8 points and reverse them to make them positive.

Posted by: ranndino | April 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

And, btw, as I will not grow tired of saying Varlamov has playoff experience. In fact very good playoff experience in a league that's the 2nd best in the world. He led his team to the Russian league finals last year and was superb all year at just 19. His team finished 2nd in the regular season and then made it all the way to the finals in the playoffs. I know that people like to poopoo any experience outside of the NHL even though they've never watched any games, but the Russian league is very good and I would argue that in many ways it's tougher to be a good goalie in it because of the wider ice and players constantly making great passes to force the goalie to have to go laterally all the time. The way our Russians play is how most of the players in the Russian league play. They don't just shoot. They pass it around until someone has a basically empty net.

I have a gut feeling that Varlamov will do great given the chance, like he has so far in the regular season. You can keep going with Theo and hope he somehow recovers his MVP form of years past in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. We can't afford to lose another game this way and be down 0-2 after 2 home games! Almost no team has ever come back from that!

I don't get why people think it's riskier to play Varly in game 2 than stick in this night stand in net. Varly can't possibly play worse than Theo did last night and all he's done so far when given the chance is show just how much better than Theo he is.

I have no doubt in my mind that had Varly been in net last night we would have easily won 3-0 or at worst 3-1.

Posted by: ranndino | April 16, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Jose... the ABSOLUTE WORST PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE BY A CAPS GOALIE EVER!!! HOW MANY SHORT SIDE GOALS CAN ONE GOALIE SCREW UP?!?!?

Simeon, we need you!

Posted by: dsphvywght | April 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Theo gets game two, but he will be on an extremely short leash. His defense was not good in front of him either. Schultz and Poti need to sit. Bring back Pothier and Alzner.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

One thing's for sure, Varlamov wouldn't understand Avery if he tried to talk smack to him...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

it would send the message that every game is important and put up or sit down. Every goalie gives up the odd bad goal but there were a few last night. This is the playoffs and everyone needed to be ready, especially JT. OK. so give him another shot, I can support that, but at some point, if he doesn't get it together [which we know may not happen], get Varly in there.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I would start Jesus Flores maybe he can save them!!! wouldnt hurt ! he doesnt play any other sport well!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 16, 2009 10:53 AM

True, but a smack over the back of the head with a stick is the same in all languages...

Posted by: ModestProposal | April 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The Devils fan down the hall just informed that Barry "Achy-breaky hockey" Melrose said Schultz "looked like Seargqant Schultz". "I see noth-ing..."

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The Caps accomplished their first goal...to determine if Lundqvist can stop shots aimed at his chest protector.

Posted by: beeman | April 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Varly looked worse against Buffalo than Theo looked last night. I was unhappy with Theo last night, but he is still our best option THIS year. And he is good enough for us to win this series.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

He didn't stop anything that wasn't along the ice. I don't remember a single glove save.

Posted by: thiazzi | April 16, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Home Ice Advantage...Rangers! ahhh all that hard work all year long down the drain

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Come on folks, less doom and gloom.
This is the same Caps team we know and love from the regular season. Every so often they needed a slap in the face, and then they came out blazing and won the next few games.

After their easy schedule going into the playoffs, last night's game was their slap in the face. And hopefully it'll do exactly the same thing that it did during the regular season.

Posted by: theGelf | April 16, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

.......and love from the regular season. Every so often they needed a slap in the face,.....SEMIN SEMIN we need you !

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

SC1907, Where have you been? Are you going to disappear again once we take the upper hand in this series?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 16, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I've resigned myself, long ago, to JT giving up one goal per game that he should be stopping at this level. He gave up two that were on him last night, and that was the difference, particularly since he should have stopped the game winner.

How ironic that Schultz gets undressed on the winner and JT lets it in...couldn't have been a better ending for those that don't like those two.

Two things to bear in mind, for me: if the Rangers score more than 3 goals in a game, they will win every one of them. I said that before the series and it's still true. If that anemic O is putting up more than 3, the Caps have made some serious mistakes.

The Ranger win percentage, when they are outshot, is nearly .600 over the season. When they outshoot the opponent, only .468. Being outgunned, strangely enough, seems to play right into their hands. Go figure.

Lastly, the Caps outplayed the Rangers in every aspect of the game last night. EVERY ASPECT. The score, though, is the final arbitor and the two JT let in last night were the daggers.

I don't have my hair on fire yet. I play JT next game - I think we win - and head to NYC to get a split up there.

Posted by: saintex | April 16, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It;s not the end of the world...it's a long series. But what worries me is the same bad habits all season never got fixed or maybe we should just call a duck a duck - bad players. Defense sucks and goalie sucks.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 16, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

the only defence of theo i can think of is on at least two of the last three ranger goals, those were some pretty well placed pucks. if the caps forwards can hit spots like that, we win 6-4 (semin, i'm talking to you, but i guess you cant understand me anyway). its cool to break the glass with a shot, but unfortunatly at verizon center, the glass is not in the net.

caps should have run them out of the building in the first, but when they don't score after dominating like that, bad things happen. didnt they totally dominate the flyers in a game in philly, with no goals to show for it. then philly came back and took our lunch money. caps are by far the best team, just need to prove it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 16, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Let's not panic here just yet, folks. Aside from goaltending, I thought we outplayed the Rangers in just about every respect last night, so I'm still hopeful. Let Theo start Game 2, and if he's as much of a sieve as he was last night, then pull him and put in Varly. I predict Theo will rebound and we'll win Game 2 in decisive fashion.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 16, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

How about some outrage on the two no calls that lead to the Rangers first goal?!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 16, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@lyle

NO DOUBT, WHOA, Ref's missed it twice.

Posted by: bhound69 | April 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

No point getting outraged. Referees blow calls all the time. That doesn't let your goalie off the hook.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 16, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Why is Green getting a pass for flopping on the ice? Tripped by Avery? Maybe just a little, but certainly not flagrantly so. Either way, he sure went down easily. If he just stays on his skates, they probably don't score.

Posted by: PensFan98 | April 16, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

suprised that GMGM is so invisible since this is his team.....season 2 starts and same problems as season 1 POOR goaltending brutal defensive coverage a lack of intensity by several caps and ov trying to do it all himself to the point of selfishness...........at least the pain will be short...like 3 or 4 more games max

Posted by: wendel2 | April 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

No quick fixes to giving up 3 or more goals to "sub-par" offensive squads. (FLA, NYR, TB, etc....) Caps can talk all they want about, commiting to defence..blah, blah, blah. It is what it is...This team is NOT build for Playoff hockey. Not enough "grit" and bunch of "pretty-boy" hockey players. Federov are you kidding me with the delay of game penalty? Mr. Vet. of the squad, dumb penalties from a player that have played in a lot of these type of game, is a sure sign this team is not ready for 2nd season.

Posted by: 555Mass | April 16, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

ok, putting aside the fact that JT had an off night, here are some other facts:

We put in 3 pucks behind a monster goalie
WE outshot them
We outhit them, played more physical
We won more faceoffs
2 glaring ref miscalls that led to Rags goals
Outskated them, led to more Rags penalties
Our 2 DOG penalties are fixable

We'll win game 2, split 3 & 4 in New York, win next 2...

Posted by: Andoy | April 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe off topic..but I will ask anyway..

Did anyone record the Pregame sportsnite? I was on in an interview and I am looking to get a copy. Comcast will not provide one ( legal issues they claim).

Posted by: jdhoover | April 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

We need to sit Poti or Schultz, Poti has been our biggest liability since the All-Star break and has looked nothing short of below-average. I understand he wears an "A" on this team but he surely isnt leading by example on the ice. Schultz has been too soft for too long and that is simply not going to get it done, Pothier isnt a ton more physical but he is a better skater and better with the puck on his stick. I would rather see #2 out there than either of these guys for Game 2.

Also lets give some props to Flash, he played one of the best games I can remember him playing in last night, he was all over the place forechecking and very active in the Rangers zone.

Theo, get it together man you make 1 or 2 of those cake saves and game one goes to the Caps.

Posted by: Greenery | April 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

ah its good to be back mike..I promise to stay as long as i can

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Andoy. We really did outplay them in many respects. Yes, Theo's issues are worrisome, but there are a lot of positives we can take out of last night's game and build on for Game 2 and the rest of the series. I hope the Caps are focusing on those.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 16, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

look, Cam Ward let in 4 goals. Is anyone now saying that series will be shortlived? No, everuone still expects that series to be long and tough. Same with flyers/pens series.

Posted by: Andoy | April 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone with any hockey sense knows that JT is horrible. He is Schultz between the pipes

Posted by: gtydings | April 16, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BB has to start Theo for game 2. Though if Theo gives up a couple more goals that he should have stoppped I predict Varlamov will get in the game.

The D&G'ers here need to pull back from the ledge. Caps won the 1st game last season against Philly and promptly lost the next 3.

Posted by: usiel3 | April 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I have been telling you ppl for 2 years now
1. get rid of players like Semin who only plays when he wants
2. I told you last year to ship out Nylander
3. OV should be told this is a team game! Play that way or we will get someone who will. That means YOU back check
4. Get a goaltender

Only than will you shake the name
" NO CUP CAPS "

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

One bad game and people are ready to throw in the towel. Golly. ONE GAME PEEPS!

Theo did not make any big saves. Ok, move on. The defesne played bad. Green and Ovi stayed on the ice too long. Things will be ok!

This just means the Caps get to clinch at home instead of in New York!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Funny how I always say the fefensive game is suspect and JT is simply the figurehead of what happens. But, last night, the defense was fine and JT was poor. Based on where I was sitting last night, JT gave up two goals he should have stopped, and Schultz tumbling, the rest of the game for the Caps was very well played. In fact, even though Shultz decided to kiss the ice, the other defenseman covered the second Rangers, as he should have, and JT just let that puck in from distance with a clear look.

Posted by: saintex | April 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I spend many long, long nights unable to sleep --- just thinking over and over and over again 'Why didn't I listen to SC1907? Why? Why? We would have the Cup by now!'

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Enough blame has been put on Theo and Schultz so I will concentrate only on what win games - OFFENSE. You have to put the puck in the net to score and scoring the most will win the game. The goalie is not going to do that for you, he can only help.

Take a look at OV's charts of shots published by the Washington Post. Yes the majority of them are from the state of Virginia. The only way to score like that is with a hope and prayer. I go one step farther, and say that OV will never do that when playing in the Russian team, I think he is trying or BB is insisting on playing the old North American style hockey of shoot-and-lets-hope for someone to get a rebound. IT SUCKS.

I have saying that the power plays is so predictable the opposition could defended while taking a nap. Stealing pucks for a shorthand opportunity against the Caps has become very fashionable in the NHL. Here is a quote: "I know what they do,” Lundqvist said of the high-powered Capitals, who finished third in the league in goals scored.

Having said all that, I remind everyone that this is team game and blaming one or two players is extremely stupid.

Posted by: opita1 | April 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907 -

So...you think OV did not deserve his star of the game, eh? Oh, that's because he didn't put one in. Forget his 2 assists, his numerous hits, 3 penalties he drew (do the math - gave us 3 powerplays),not to mention the intensity he displays to fire up his teammates as well as the crowd. Forget the goals...who else out there, on either team, brought as much...Gomez managed 3 points, but is that the only factor?

Posted by: gonchpup | April 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The caps are a team why blame Theo or Shultz...the whole powerplay was getting fancy while the Rangers were sitting back...the team needs to shoot and get the garbage goals instead of looking for the perfect shot---Lundquist proved last night he can stop shots he can see no problem...we outplayed the rangers 80% of the game--when we stuck to the basic -- when THE TEAM lapses that is our problem..now let's go CAPS!!!

Posted by: capsgary | April 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if Tampa just quit playing after falling 0-2 at home against us in 2002...but they didn't quit, they beat us 4 straight.

Posted by: Andoy | April 16, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

This has been said before, that the Caps style is going to give up chances. We are an offensively gifted team and we take chances. The plus is that we score goals and put on alot of pressure. The negative is we give up quality chances. Theo has to shut the door when we give up those chances. Yes he will let in a few that no one could stop, but he cannot let in soft goals.

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 16, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

Absolutely right. That Schultz mishap took place right in front of us, and while it was embarrassing, it shouldn't have mattered, because it was obvious from where we sat that Theo should have been able to make that save. He just didn't.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 16, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe JT should wear larger equipment like Lundquist does. Since the Rangers seemed to be aiming top shelf, he should get an over-sized glove and blocker

Posted by: bigschu8 | April 16, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Andoy, I have been reminiscing with my hockey friends about that Tampa Bay comeback, I believe the coach was Torts, the Lighting, like the Rangers this year, were not giving much of chance. I hope we win this series, but the Rangers with Torts could be another Tampa Bay of that year.

Posted by: opita1 | April 16, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

bigschu8 -

Well put!

Posted by: gonchpup | April 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd probably give him a period and see how it goes. If things aren't looking good I'd switch to Varlamov after any signs of shakey play. The one positive is that last night may have been Theodore's worst performance of the season and they only lost by a late goal. If he plays even remotely okay they have a good shot next game. He can't possibly be that bad two games in a row. But then again, they could just go with Varlamov because he won't be as bad as Jose was last night.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse