Morning Reading List

Everyone following the Capitals has grown accustomed to the daily laundry list of injury updates, which Tarik broke down by man games lost yesterday. Read more about how the team continues to adjust to the absence of so many key players in today's hard-copy story.

*Here's a leftover from last Saturday in Columbus, which the Capitals don't visit all that often, so each time they do everyone looks forward to catching a glimpse of Alex Ovechkin.

*Because tonight's 7 p.m. game against the Panthers is another dreaded Versus blackout I'll be live blogging from Verizon Center to help give everyone a little more insight than the constant refresh that happens on the NHL's play by play sheet to go along with the radio.

Panthers Cliff notes:
*Florida goaltender Craig Anderson, who is slated to start tonight, is 0-3 in his career against the Capitals.

*Leading scorer David Booth is out for a week after injuring his shoulder against the Rangers on Sunday. Nathan Horton, Cory Stillman and Richard Zednik are on the injured list as well.

*Florida called up Kenndal McArdle from Rochester and he's expected to make his NHL debut against the Caps.

In the system:
*With a roster depleted by injuries and call ups the Bears picked up a new addition to its defensive corps in Patrick Wellar. Originally a third round pick by the Capitals in the 2002 draft, Wellar has spent the past five seasons playing in the ECHL and AHL.

*The Saskatoon StarPhoenix talked to prospect Braden Holtby about his mask design. Here are pictures from the Blades' website of Holtby's mask.

StarPhoenix reporter Cory Wolfe is also keeping an online journal of the goings on during Saskatoon's current five-game road trip, which is pretty entertaining in general. Here's Part I and Part II. The Blades recorded a 7-3 win over the Prince George Cougars to start the trip and continue their road stretch tonight against Kamloops.

*Hershey reassigned Michael Dubuc to South Carolina.

By Katie Carrera  |  December 2, 2008; 8:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps' Injury Situation, By The Numbers
Next: Mink Recalled (Updated)

Comments

I'll be interested to see who gets called up. Damn Versus for their exclusive crap; I can't get the game anywhere except on the radio... hopefully I'll be able to get it there, at least!

Posted by: irockthered | December 2, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Here's the deal on Semin. More than likely it involves slight tears in his shoulder that will probably require surgery. Remember last year the Nylander issue. Tried to play and they had to shut him down with surgery. Same for Semin. Of course they will give it up to 2 months before they shut him down. They know they stakes are high.

With Green it is obvious he has a slight seperation and can play once he can tolerate the pain. Reminds me of Jason Whitten from the Cowboys earlier this year -- same deal except the Greeny is no football player. He will play sooner than later and will be in and out of the line up. Probably won't be his usual self though.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 2, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

It is possible to see tonights game at the Verizon Center. Live hockey at its best, amazing.

Posted by: majiksea | December 2, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

@majiksea - easier said than done when one is in New Jersey... :-p I'm a 6-hour drive away, in disaster recovery simulation, and there's no chance in hell I'll be back for the game tonight. :(

@windjammersouth - how do you get "obvious" when the MRI came back negative on Green's injury? A bone bruise still hurts like hell.

Posted by: irockthered | December 2, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

From the last post:
BetteroffwithFederov,
I agree, there wasn't much made of the quality of play of Columbus. The second goal was a terrific shot by Nash. Even if Karl hadn't been caught up ice and had been back instead of Backy its debateable there would have been a different outcome. Nick showed Nash the outside but he came out with a great shot. Also Columbus got a few generous bounces, esp on the first goal.

Boo,
Stats are good. I like stats! Just trying to illistrate how much better we are despite the massive injury list.
Dreary places eh? Sounds like Manchester in December.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

windjammersouth is an idiot.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

windjammer

Absolutely nothing we have read regarding Semin's injury indicates it's a shoulder. Tarik does a bang-up job here, and if he saw Semin in a sling like Green was 2 weeks ago (or Nyls was last year) he'd let us know. Everything we have seen, including offical team release is upper back/neck.

People need to realize this is not a social gathering where you whip out business cards and chat with people about your credentials and reasons why you think you know what's going on. This is an internet blog, and the more people come on here playing Amateur doctor, the less credible they sound.

We're fans of the team. We have no choice but to wait for information from Tarik/Japer/Peerless/OFB and hope for the best. If you really feel the need to get some text on the blog for post-count++ then how about we discuss things about caps currently on the active roster. Like, why the HELL does Brent Johnson not slam his stick against the ice when penalties are expiring? JT does it. Every other goalie we have faced this year does it. BJ does not. Discuss.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 2, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

wind guy,

You seem to have great insider info. Are you the team Dr? His nurse? His best friend? Or is this simply 2 paragraphs of BS?

Posted by: majiksea | December 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Dreary places eh? Sounds like Manchester in December.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 9:18 AM
-------------------------------------------
Or CR7 crying about getting a card on an intentional handball.

Sorry, had to be said.

Posted by: Section117 | December 2, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS THE NHL SO STUPID TO BLACKOUT ALL OTHER GAMES ON CENTER ICE SO VERSUS CAN GET MAYBE ANOTHER 10,000 PEOPLE TO WATCH A GAME. I SHELLED OUT 160 BUCKS SO I COULD FOLLOW MY CAPS AND NOT WATCH SOME OTHER GAME BETWEEN TWO TEAMS I DON'T CARE ABOUT. WHEN IS THE NHL GOING TO REALIZE THAT THEY WILL **NEVER** **EVER** BUILD UP A NETWORK TV PRESENCE LIKE FOOTBALL, BASEBALL AND BASEKETBALL HAVE. YOU CAN'T GROW AN AUDIENCE BY FORCING THEM TO WATCH A GAME THEY DON'T WANT TO WATCH. IF THE NHL WANTS FANS TO TUNE INTO VERSUS TO WATCH AN EXCLUSIVE GAME - DO IT LIKE THE NFL DOES ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AND ***ONLY HAVE ONE GAME SCHEDULED FOR THAT NIGHT*** Sheesh. Rant over.

Steve in Jersey (and not watching MY Caps tonight and don't give a damn about the Rangers, Devils or Isles, or any other team)

Posted by: sjshanno | December 2, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

lol......the pot is calling the kettle black....pretty cool! No names needed !

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 2, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss,
I spotted that and you took the words right outta my mouth!

Section117,
No need to apologise. That was a very bizarre incident. What the hell he was thinking I don't know. At least the result went the right way.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss is an idiot too. Same goes DaveUKCapsFan.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | December 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

At least the result went the right way.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 9:43 AM
-------------------------------------------
I can't stand City, but I'm a Liverpool fan, I just hope we can put some room between us and Chelsea by then.

Posted by: Section117 | December 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

then = when we play ManU next time.

Posted by: Section117 | December 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that as well. And THANK YOU to FFSEnough! I doubt that there are any MD's here, and if they're diagnosing without actually SEEING the guy, I want their real name so I can avoid going to them.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 2, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

sjshanno

There's a lot going on with exclusivity deals and what we as fans get to see each night. I do not believe it is in the best interest to give a station with one broadcast footprint rights to more than one game for a night. If Vs. isn't going to show the game, they need to release it to the local markets.

They probably would release it to the local markets if CSN would put up a fight. But with Wizards playing tonight, they probably feel it's not in their best interest.

What floors me is the lack of content on the NHL network compared to Vs. There's a hockey game every night, and NHLN needs to put a game on every night. It's only fair, and would be the most intelligent thing they could do to grow the brand. Nobody cares about the 8th airing of the top 10 oilers-canadiens games. We want to see hockey that matters today.

I would agree the NHL needs to get a handle on their poop, but they also need to grow the popularity of the game. I'm not sure how TV contracts work. Maybe there is not enough time to release rights the week of to get the best matchup on TV for a specific night. The NHL may believe it is in their best interest to try to do the whole "flex schedule" thing like the NFL does on Sunday nights now (I hate the flex, by the way). Show the nation a high-quality product and maybe they'll get back into it. People rabid enough for the game in their local markets won't ditch the game alltogether because one is not shown on TV.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 2, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Wish I could make the games this week, alas, I am not in town.

Will be in town next week, so I'm calling 1st dibs on the Bruins tickets next Wednesday for anybody willing to accept beer, chicken tenders and my overall pleasant disposition and photographs of my frostbite scar.

Posted by: JSchon | December 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I know this is probably somewhere in the other threads, but can someone explain the VS blackout tonight? I kinda have an idea, but the details i got were sketchy.

Thanks!

Posted by: Scofield | December 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

DannyBoy1975

You seem to be amoung idiots then.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Really though. I want an answer. Why does BJ not bang his stick on the ice when our PP's are coming to an end? We have been burned on this 2-3 times this year with him in the net.

Anyone with more Hockey experience than me (nothing past HS) understand why one goalie on a team will, and another won't?

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 2, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey Danny,
Neither I nor Capsfannmiss mentioned you. Why did you think we were referring to you with our comments? Guilty conscience?

Section117,
Liverpool?? *Spits on floor* You just down in my estimation :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

FFSEnough: The BJ question is indeed a better question. It's not just NHL either - if you watch the Bears, you'll notice that goalies for the AHL do that, too. :) The first time you mentioned it, I made a point to watch for it, both our goalies and the opposing goalie, and you're right, they all do it.

Re: injuries - None of us are there, we're not doctors, and we don't know anything more than what we are told, so speculating is nothing more than a lot of self-important BS.

Tarik, I realize that Fedorov's injury is just a sprained ankle, but the fact is that he is nearing 40 and you just don't heal as fast at that age as you do at 20, so injuries are more serious and do take longer to heal. Not that I don't want him back in the lineup, but I don't want him back before he's 100%, either. Has there been any discussion of putting him on LTIR, either now or retroactively, and would there be a reason to do so given cap constraints? Would that give us a means of bringing up say Osala?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey locals, I still have a single seat looking for a butt that wants to sit in it! I'm near the front of 429, which is over the zamboni tunnel and in the corner behind the Caps' goal.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 2, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

someone iasked why philly again on an exclusive versus rights night. Well I looked at versus website contact info and imagine that they are based in Philly thru comcast...

Posted by: sasha8 | December 2, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Also,
Here's hoping Kenndal McArdle isn't Florida's Cal Clutterbuck. He's certain mastered the silly name part of the "Rookie-with-silly-name-scores-first-NHL-goal-against-the-Caps" thing.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Kitty-

When I started out, I wouldn't slam it on the ice, I used to use the net for the loud "ping"... Did that until I broke my stick and had to face a rush looking like an idiot. I'm well aware that teams have different conventions for alerting players on the ice of a dwindling powerplay, but I've never seen a team use 2 different methods based on the goalie.

You bring up a good point about Feds, but I think we've already seen a big problem with it. He said he's never had an ankle before. He already tried to come back a bit too early and reinjured it. While he may be feeling better and able to play, he probably doesn't trust the joint like he should. Backs mentioned that earlier in the season. He lost his trust in the joint for a while, and that takes a while to get back.

It's been 13 years since I sprained my ankle (baseball). I tried to come back too early (1 week), reinjured it and was out for the good part of a month after that. I felt fine again within a few weeks, but I couldn't (and still can't today) trust the joint.

The team should have learned from Semin last year, and put Feds on IR immediately. Hell, I'd say any ankle injury needs immediate IR. Force the guy to heal and get better. but again, I'm not a doctor. I'd rather hold a guy out for a month, than lose him for 2 because someone can't make the decision.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 2, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Section117,
Liverpool?? *Spits on floor* You just down in my estimation :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 10:05 AM
-------------------------------------------
Hey, it could have been worse, I could have said I was a Chelsea fan.

Posted by: Section117 | December 2, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

117,
No. Actually it couldn't possibly be worse. I grew up watching Liverpool dominate and Utd fail. Those things leave scars. :)

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Duly noted. I'll prepare for any pokes if Rafa and company start playing their normal underachieving stretch of games after the transfer window.

Posted by: Section117 | December 2, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Tarik

I can't decide if it is an improvement or not that Erskine now looks a lot like Poti in the Post today.

Posted by: majiksea | December 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

117,
I hope they do revert to form. There have been signs lately. Depends who they bring in during January.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | December 2, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

hey Kitty I'm looking to go tonight!

Posted by: skinzfan4 | December 2, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I share season tickets but I dont have the game tonight...

Posted by: skinzfan4 | December 2, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Tarik.

I'll be tuned into your live blog tonight - but is it possible for you to use, well, more of an actual "live blog" (coveritlive.com) rather than just updating the same page (like your chats)?

Thank you.